ADVERTISEMENT

This is a PLAYOFF Team as long as the Quarterback performs

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
We play our best for 12 Games, NO ONE, is stopping this freight train. We could have won at least 7 or 8 games, had we kept Gavin as the starter, especially when you consider the schedule is much less difficult, and the WR talent is significantly better than it was a year ago. But the head coach decided that we should have higher aspirations, so he brought in Athan, in consultation with Kirk Ciarrocca, to win 10-12 Games. That’s where my expectation lies.

I see three 50/50 games on the schedule.
  • USC
  • Wisconsin
  • Nebraska
We are going to DESTROY everyone else, as long as the quarterback plays well. That means:
  • A 58% Completion %
  • 20 Touchdowns
  • 7 ints
The 58% completion % will be attained if he completes 1.25 more completions per game.
Backing him up will be the deepest, most talented WR Corp in Rutgers history, with multiple kids capable of pulling down at least 50 catches.
  • Miller
  • Strong
  • Dremel
  • Brantley
Then we’ve got other kids who are going to play strong supporting roles:
  • Long
  • Duff
  • Johnson
  • Black
  • Braithwaite
  • Toure
  • Fletcher
  • Konopka
Lastly, 3 of 5 Offensive Line starters return. Last year:
  • They allowed 14 sacks
  • Paved the way for the big tens leading rusher
So everything is in place to facilitate Athan’s success. Now it’s time for him to make it happen.

Last edited:
Al is Aemond and HC Schiano picking AK over GW is him losing his eye.
At some point you have move on.

Don’t you remember the other thread and the whole ‘Any winning season at Rutgers is a success. Look at our records the past 30 years’ rhetoric?

So if we win less than 10 games, does that mean HC Schiano and OC KC made a mistake, picked the wrong QB and messed up the season?
Bold standard you would holding them to.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Al is Aemond and HC Schiano picking AK over GW is him losing his eye.
At some point you have move on.

Don’t you remember the other thread and the whole ‘Any winning season at Rutgers is a success. Look at our records the past 30 years’ rhetoric?

So if we win less than 10 games, does that mean HC Schiano and OC KC made a mistake, picked the wrong QB and messed up the season?
Bold standard you would holding them to.
We win 8 games or more, and it was the right decision though we should win 10 or more games

Too easy not to do 🤣🤣

Really excited for this season .

I look forward to physically beating a few teams A$$es

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

I mean really great logic AL. I am sure there will be lots of playoff teams with quarterbacks that don’t perform 😝
no doubt. The question is, do we have a quarterback that will perform well?

We haven’t had a quarterback that’s performed well since Nova 2014, for various reasons which have since been resolved, most notably, the lack of talent in the WR Corp

An 8-10 win game is NOT making the playoff in 2024…period…I don’t care if said team has “tide” in its name. 7-9 wins is the what most reasonable fans should expect. Key word being “reasonable”

We have a qb that has not thrown one GD pass in an RU uniform and we are suddenly playoff bound. Gotta love irrationality.

I hope you’re not a code writer because your logic construction is highly questionable. 🤭

Reactions: goru1869
There's a nugget of truth here in that if we can get close to 60% completion from our QB and limit INTs the team will be greatly improved.

However, Al is vastly underrating how hard it will be to win on the road in a tough stadium against a decent Vtech team, that's another 50/50 game at best. Also aside from the 1st 2 games, the other teams that he says RU will destroy, we'll probably have like a 60-65% chance of winning even if we are playing well and favored. We won't win all those games.

An 8-10 win game is NOT making the playoff in 2024…period…I don’t care if said team has “tide” in its name. 7-9 wins is the what most reasonable fans should expect. Key word being “reasonable”

We have a qb that has not thrown one GD pass in an RU uniform and we are suddenly playoff bound. Gotta love irrationality.

I hope you’re not a code writer because your logic construction is highly questionable. 🤭
what do you expect from a guy who blames the current border crisis on Trump?

In GS's best years we had WTF games against the old Big East. Even with not playing the B1G East 3, it's still a tall order. We all hope it's true but we first need to prove we can beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. We also need to prove we can win on the road against BIG teams consistently.

OP is pretty much "We can win the lottery if I know all the numbers".

"This is a PLAYOFF Team as long as the Quarterback performs"...

...says just about half of the P4 teams (and the other half THINK it while dreaming of the possibilities)

Would be interesting to see a poll of P5 teams' fanbases to see how many think they are a playoff team if the QB performs.

I've said awhile back I think every game is a winnable game except USC because I question keeping up with a strong offense and it's on the road. Doesn't mean we'll win them all but I don't go into it thinking any of them is a big mountain to climb other than that one.

If you have an Athletic sub. They had an article about 13 unranked teams that could make the 12 team playoff. We're one of them.

VT, UCF, USF, Tulane, Texas State, ISU, Louisville, WVU, UNLV, Wisconsin, SMU, Fresno State are the others mentioned.

Rutgers blurb:

Call me crazy, but I believe in the Scarlet Knights this year. Greg Schiano has done a great job recruiting in the program’s backyard and returns a ton of talent from a team that actually led Ohio State at halftime last season. They’ll have a new quarterback in Minnesota transfer Athan Kaliakmanis, and running back Kyle Monangai is one of the best running backs the country doesn’t talk enough about. The schedule breaks right for contention, too: The Scarlet Knights don’t play Penn State, Oregon, Ohio State, Iowa or Michigan this year. — Cameron Teague Robinson

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
But this team will definitely be good. Could see that this year's team would be elite last year. I have a feeling if ak47 can't get these new weapons the ball they will keep trying QBs until they find someone that can. Think now the coaches really believe they can play with the top teams if they have a passing game. Which is why they lost patience waiting for Gavin to grow as a passer....

Only thing that pisses me off is Powell's Achilles tear, seemingly came out of nowhere. Fire someone lol, whoever is in charge of stretching these guys out. You're fired! J/k

Teel didn’t do much for this team until 2006 and he would have probably taken this team to the playoffs the current format. He gave the defense a 3 point lead with 3 minutes to go until the Orange Bowl.

"This is a PLAYOFF Team as long as the Quarterback performs"...

...says just about half of the P4 teams (and the other half THINK it while dreaming of the possibilities)

Would be interesting to see a poll of P5 teams' fanbases to see how many think they are a playoff team if the QB performs.
There’s nothing wrong with dreaming. But we’ve got the Big Tens leading rusher, the big ten leader in sacks allowed, the #1 receiver in FCS, and a defense that might be the best in the nation, so we have a better chance than most teams.

But this team will definitely be good. Could see that this year's team would be elite last year. I have a feeling if ak47 can't get these new weapons the ball they will keep trying QBs until they find someone that can. Think now the coaches really believe they can play with the top teams if they have a passing game. Which is why they lost patience waiting for Gavin to grow as a passer....

Only thing that pisses me off is Powell's Achilles tear, seemingly came out of nowhere. Fire someone lol, whoever is in charge of stretching these guys out. You're fired! J/k
This group has depth. Miller, Strong, Dremel, Toure, Brantley, Long, Duff, Black, Johnson, and Braithwaite

In GS's best years we had WTF games against the old Big East. Even with not playing the B1G East 3, it's still a tall order. We all hope it's true but we first need to prove we can beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. We also need to prove we can win on the road against BIG teams consistently.

OP is pretty much "We can win the lottery if I know all the numbers".
We have a legitimate opportunity, which is something we live for. Haven’t been in this position since 2012. Time to make it happen.

I’m optimistic about this season but obviously some are becoming a little delusional. I think too many are putting stock in an “easier schedule”. Yeah maybe we don’t get 3 automatic losses but the replacement games are not “a win” on paper. @ VT, @ Neb, @USC, home against Wash, Wisc, @ MD, @MSU . No way that is easy. An 8-4 season would be fantastic in my opinion. These folks talking about 10 wins , that is not going to age well in my opinion.

I’m optimistic about this season but obviously some are becoming a little delusional. I think too many are putting stock in an “easier schedule”. Yeah maybe we don’t get 3 automatic losses but the replacement games are not “a win” on paper. @ VT, @ Neb, @USC, home against Wash, Wisc, @ MD, @MSU . No way that is easy. An 8-4 season would be fantastic in my opinion. These folks talking about 10 wins , that is not going to age well in my opinion.
I see 11 “Should win” games and 1 “Could Win” game.

VT
  • Their front 7 was placed on roller skates in last years game. We dominated, beating them by 19 points. No way they fix all their S&C and talent issues in one year
Wisconsin
  • Should have beaten them straight up last year but a pick 6 by Gavin was the difference in that game. Athan threw for 2TDs and 319 yards against Wisconsin two years ago, and if that happens again, we might drop 50 on them
Nebraska
  • Should have beaten them two years ago, but a Matt Simon interception was the difference in the game. Our WR Corp and and QB play is significantly better than it was two years ago, which is why I expect to HAMMER them
Maryland
  • Taulia Tagovailoas play has been the difference maker in recent years, and he has since graduated. With no difference maker at QB, Rutgers by 14
MSU
  • We beat them because they ran out of gas in the forth quarter
  • New coach and new system will make this a transition year for MSU
  • Rutgers by 14
Washington
  • All 11 Offensive starters have to be replaced
  • Returns just 8 of 32 players who played at least 300 snaps
  • Team in rebuild mode
USC
  • Very poor defense last year
  • Need to replace a lot of talent and depth may be an issue
  • QB Miller Moss played well in last years bowl win against Louisville
  • QB Caleb Williams graduated and drafted #1
  • Plays LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State and Maryland before they play Rutgers

VT
  • Their front 7 was placed on roller skates in last years game. We dominated, beating them by 19 points. No way they fix all their S&C and talent issues in one year
Wisconsin
  • Should have beaten them straight up last year but a pick 6 by Gavin was the difference in that game. Athan threw for 2TDs and 319 yards against Wisconsin two years ago, and if that happens again, we might drop 50 on them
Nebraska
  • Should have beaten them two years ago, but a Matt Simon interception was the difference in the game. Our WR Corp and and QB play is significantly better than it was two years ago, which is why I expect to HAMMER them
Maryland
  • Taulia Tagovailoas play has been the difference maker in recent years, and he has since graduated. With no difference maker at QB, Rutgers by 14
MSU
  • Rutgers by 14
Washington
  • Team in rebuild mode
USC
  • Plays LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State and Maryland before they play Rutgers
Crush! Kill! Destroy!

Go Rutgers...

Reactions: rutgersal

VT
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Maryland
MSU
  • Rutgers by 14
Washington
  • Team in rebuild mode
USC
41% of our runs against V tech went for 3 yards or less, with several negative runs by Kyle himself. "Placed on roller skates" is a bit much. They outgained us, more first downs, and it was 21-16 in the 4th despite them fumbling on their first possession, first start for their qb, and turning it over twice to our zero.

But now we go on the road to one of the toughest places to play and it's a "should win." That game with be a 3 point line at worst either way.

41% of our runs against V tech went for 3 yards or less, with several negative runs by Kyle himself. "Placed on roller skates" is a bit much. They outgained us, more first downs, and it was 21-16 in the 4th despite them fumbling on their first possession, first start for their qb, and turning it over twice to our zero.

But now we go on the road to one of the toughest places to play and it's a "should win." That game with be a 3 point line at worst either way.
So what. That’s like saying President Lincoln was protected on 99% of his trips. Only on his last trip he was assassinated in the theater.

Kyle Monangai: 16 rushes for 146 yards
Gavin Wimsatt: 11 rushes for 87 yards
Jashon Benjamin: 4 rushes for 20 yards
Sam Brown: 3 rushes for 6 yards

All total, we rushed for 259 yards, averaging 7.5 yards per carry.

We beat them down like dogs, with the final margin being 19 points.

So what. That’s like saying President Lincoln was protected on 99% of his trips. Only on his last trip he was assassinated in the theater.

Kyle Monangai: 16 rushes for 146 yards
Gavin Wimsatt: 11 rushes for 87 yards
Jashon Benjamin: 4 rushes for 20 yards
Sam Brown: 3 rushes for 6 yards

All total, we rushed for 259 yards, averaging 7.5 yards per carry.

We beat them down like dogs, with the final margin being 19 points.

Say what you want, that's a great line by Al!
so you’re saying Trump’s secret service protected better than Lincoln’s

We play our best for 12 Games, NO ONE, is stopping this freight train. We could have won at least 7 or 8 games, had we kept Gavin as the starter, especially when you consider the schedule is much less difficult, and the WR talent is significantly better than it was a year ago. But the head coach decided that we should have higher aspirations, so he brought in Athan, in consultation with Kirk Ciarrocca, to win 10-12 Games. That’s where my expectation lies.

I see three 50/50 games on the schedule.
  • USC
  • Wisconsin
  • Nebraska
We are going to DESTROY everyone else, as long as the quarterback plays well. That means:
  • A 58% Completion %
  • 20 Touchdowns
  • 7 ints
The 58% completion % will be attained if he completes 1.25 more completions per game.
Backing him up will be the deepest, most talented WR Corp in Rutgers history, with multiple kids capable of pulling down at least 50 catches.
  • Miller
  • Strong
  • Dremel
  • Brantley
Then we’ve got other kids who are going to play strong supporting roles:
  • Long
  • Duff
  • Johnson
  • Black
  • Braithwaite
  • Fletcher
  • Konopka
Lastly, 3 of 5 Offensive Line starters return. Last year:
  • They allowed 14 sacks
  • Paved the way for the big tens leading rusher
So everything is in place to facilitate Athan’s success. Now it’s time for him to make it happen.
We are going to learn a lot about this team after we travel down to Blacksburg Virginia. I think they are returning 16 starters in 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT