ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Ive generally avoided any longwinded discussion the past few months as I have just been turned off at the whole charade at bringing Ash back. ive said this before and was laughed off the threads. The school doesnt have the admininstrative support, state support, donor support to argue its a Big 10 school.....and we know that the product on the field in football has only been relevant a decade...and only one year at a real top 20 level and we will not even go into 27 years of basketball not making the NCAA tourney. Some will call me self loathing but based on performance and based on the reality of our situation with our BOG, President, lack of donors, and general lack of care by NJ residents, why should Rutgers be in this conference. We are at a point where RU has one last chance to prove it should be competing in Big 10 sports. If it ****s it up this time, thats all folks. There is no going back.

Listen ive been follwing RU for years...well before I attended RU in the late 80s. The talk of sleeping giant has droned on for about 40 years now and we generally have just rolled over and farted. Uncle Bob and Greg Schiano got us into the Big 10 period. President McCormick was pro sports at the time but remember the Star Ledger (who we still have posters who fawn over these trashy writers) went after hard on spending. We pissed away the Big 10 invitation because our AD couldnt properly fire a coach that should have been fired because his bosses were worried about cost..then our President couldnt be bothered to watch a video tape and proceeded to throw that AD under the bus (not saying TP has no culpability). He then proceeds to f up the next hire by not properly vetting Julie..its wasnt her fault they hired her...which then immediately put her on the hot seat with the press and she was subsequently muzzled and neutered by Barchi who could give a shit about sports. Then Barchi someone gets Hobbs planted in their laps and claim that money is not an issue. What dopes fell for that line..of course it is...Its the reason that Hollywood Hobbs who was an incredible fundraiser yet a big time failure hiring Ash couldnt can him after year 3. We all knew but Hobbs made the problem 10000x worse by bringing him back.

Barchi will be gone but things will not change here. I am still convinced the school just wants to do the bare minimum and cash checks, it will point to minor success in sports that dont move the needle and say they eliminated the subsidy. It will not matter that football goes 1-11 every year.

Our current situation is worse than the Shea years because back then we didnt have the facade of Big 10 and big time. That we are drawing similar attendance numbers to back then despite the allure of Big 10 football is damning. Of course winning changes everything but the only time this program won was under Schiano and then a couple of seasons with Flood with Schiano recruits

Its a critical moment right now because I think Greg Schiano is our only hope to IMMEDIATELY stop the bleeding and raise our profile. The program is in such shambles that they cannot afford to take a flyer on an unknown. This isnt the same situation as the Ash hire. We literally need help like yesterday. How can any kid want to come here at this point. Recruiting just halted full stop, we have no coach and its not even halfway through the season. Our two impact offensive players are leaving. The rest of the team has given up. This requires someone to be hired NOW. Greg has to be hired. I dont give a shit what people say about his ceiling. I am not looking for ceiling, I cannot even begin to think about bowls and championships and Hobbs is a turd for even insulting the fanbase with talk of a championship. We desperately need some stability in the program, a calmness, a reassuring to the fans. This is coming from a very vocal GS critic. Its disgusting to me the current state of the program. Today I didnt not turn on the tv at all..no ****ing interest. I have always at least turned it on in the background or started to watch before checking out but today i said what is the point. If a guy who went to the Alabama game as a 8 year old and used to tune into Johnson/Brunner and Larry Pitt on WCTC in the 80s hoping for a bowl season to reach the point of not even bothering to watch and leaving games halftime thats a warning sign that is in critical condition where if something isnt done we are going to lose an entire fanbase.

There is potential to win here and gain fervent fan support. Greg did this already. Even in Flood's best Big 10 year we had phenomenal crowds. One thing is clear, the RU fanbase does not want to support losers and they can smell a loser a mile away. The idiocy of Pat Hobbs insulting us by bringing Ash back cannot be understated. But Hobbs by firing Ash after 4 games...and look we all wanted Ash gone ASAP... seemingly didnt have a plan on what to do after 4 games, he didnt take into consideration what would happen with transfers, he didnt take into consideration that the team would simply stop playing, he didnt take into consideration our recruiting would stop....Hobbs needed to fire Ash but he needed to have a plan ready to go which means he needed to have Schiano all lined up and ready to go and apparently this isnt the case. Do you think the fanbase is buying tix if he hires the Buffalo or Toledo coach. We will continue to bleed tix next year. Hobbs and this school has one choice left. Hire Greg and do not **** it up again. Give him the keys and step out of the way.

Ive generally avoided any longwinded discussion the past few months as I have just been turned off at the whole charade at bringing Ash back. ive said this before and was laughed off the threads. The school doesnt have the admininstrative support, state support, donor support to argue its a Big 10 school.....and we know that the product on the field in football has only been relevant a decade...and only one year at a real top 20 level and we will not even go into 27 years of basketball not making the NCAA tourney. Some will call me self loathing but based on performance and based on the reality of our situation with our BOG, President, lack of donors, and general lack of care by NJ residents, why should Rutgers be in this conference. We are at a point where RU has one last chance to prove it should be competing in Big 10 sports. If it ****s it up this time, thats all folks. There is no going back.

Listen ive been follwing RU for years...well before I attended RU in the late 80s. The talk of sleeping giant has droned on for about 40 years now and we generally have just rolled over and farted. Uncle Bob and Greg Schiano got us into the Big 10 period. President McCormick was pro sports at the time but remember the Star Ledger (who we still have posters who fawn over these trashy writers) went after hard on spending. We pissed away the Big 10 invitation because our AD couldnt properly fire a coach that should have been fired because his bosses were worried about cost..then our President couldnt be bothered to watch a video tape and proceeded to throw that AD under the bus (not saying TP has no culpability). He then proceeds to f up the next hire by not properly vetting Julie..its wasnt her fault they hired her...which then immediately put her on the hot seat with the press and she was subsequently muzzled and neutered by Barchi who could give a shit about sports. Then Barchi someone gets Hobbs planted in their laps and claim that money is not an issue. What dopes fell for that line..of course it is...Its the reason that Hollywood Hobbs who was an incredible fundraiser yet a big time failure hiring Ash couldnt can him after year 3. We all knew but Hobbs made the problem 10000x worse by bringing him back.

Barchi will be gone but things will not change here. I am still convinced the school just wants to do the bare minimum and cash checks, it will point to minor success in sports that dont move the needle and say they eliminated the subsidy. It will not matter that football goes 1-11 every year.

Our current situation is worse than the Shea years because back then we didnt have the facade of Big 10 and big time. That we are drawing similar attendance numbers to back then despite the allure of Big 10 football is damning. Of course winning changes everything but the only time this program won was under Schiano and then a couple of seasons with Flood with Schiano recruits

Its a critical moment right now because I think Greg Schiano is our only hope to IMMEDIATELY stop the bleeding and raise our profile. The program is in such shambles that they cannot afford to take a flyer on an unknown. This isnt the same situation as the Ash hire. We literally need help like yesterday. How can any kid want to come here at this point. Recruiting just halted full stop, we have no coach and its not even halfway through the season. Our two impact offensive players are leaving. The rest of the team has given up. This requires someone to be hired NOW. Greg has to be hired. I dont give a shit what people say about his ceiling. I am not looking for ceiling, I cannot even begin to think about bowls and championships and Hobbs is a turd for even insulting the fanbase with talk of a championship. We desperately need some stability in the program, a calmness, a reassuring to the fans. This is coming from a very vocal GS critic. Its disgusting to me the current state of the program. Today I didnt not turn on the tv at all..no ****ing interest. I have always at least turned it on in the background or started to watch before checking out but today i said what is the point. If a guy who went to the Alabama game as a 8 year old and used to tune into Johnson/Brunner and Larry Pitt on WCTC in the 80s hoping for a bowl season to reach the point of not even bothering to watch and leaving games halftime thats a warning sign that is in critical condition where if something isnt done we are going to lose an entire fanbase.

There is potential to win here and gain fervent fan support. Greg did this already. Even in Flood's best Big 10 year we had phenomenal crowds. One thing is clear, the RU fanbase does not want to support losers and they can smell a loser a mile away. The idiocy of Pat Hobbs insulting us by bringing Ash back cannot be understated. But Hobbs by firing Ash after 4 games...and look we all wanted Ash gone ASAP... seemingly didnt have a plan on what to do after 4 games, he didnt take into consideration what would happen with transfers, he didnt take into consideration that the team would simply stop playing, he didnt take into consideration our recruiting would stop....Hobbs needed to fire Ash but he needed to have a plan ready to go which means he needed to have Schiano all lined up and ready to go and apparently this isnt the case. Do you think the fanbase is buying tix if he hires the Buffalo or Toledo coach. We will continue to bleed tix next year. Hobbs and this school has one choice left. Hire Greg and do not **** it up again. Give him the keys and step out of the way.

I disagree with that last sentence.

But I'd prefer to double-click on that in my own thread in which I posted the Schiano piece I did back in '05. :)

Well said. It is on Hobbs. However I’m not sure whether he is just incompetent, or arrogant. Is he aware that he even screwed up?

Since we have no football coach, it is imperative that we need Hobbs to speak more on the state of the program. I dont want to hear anything from Nunzio, thats not our representation, I want Hobbs to be vocal and give us constant reassuring.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Since we have no football coach, it is imperative that we need Hobbs to speak more on the state of the program. I dont want to hear anything from Nunzio, thats not our representation, I want Hobbs to be vocal and give us constant reassuring.
He’s probably shellshocked, out of his comfort zone, and had no plan when he made the decision to fire Ash. Amateur hour. In over his head. A lawyer. Not an action driven executive.

Bac,

Cant disagree with anything you said. I also get why people like Real disagree with the last sentence. They are probably right in the long term, but guys like us who want Schiano want the bleeding to stop. That's what he brings to the table. You and I will take a 5-6 win team at this point. Schiano doesn't have the upside Hafley or someone else has , but they are still question marks. Greg did it once before. I'll take Greg next and go for the hotshot in 5 years.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything that was said.

I don't want schiano back because of his high ceiling. Sadly, I want him back for his high floor. We can't talk about competing for big 10 titles if we can't even throw the football for more than one yard. ONE! If we can't block anyone. If our DL gets shoved back 3 yards on any given running play.

More importantly, we can't talk about competing until we can convince kids to take a chance on playing for us. That our coaches won't make them look stupid. That they have a future, whether it be on the gridiron or in the working world. We're going to need a new generation of Brian Leonard's, Ramel Meekins'. Eric Foster's, Gary Brackett's - guys with chips on their shoulders with something to prove - to pave the way for the next Ray Rice, McCourty brothers, Logan Ryan.

The non diehard fanbase is going to need to know that we are bringing in someone who the can be confident in. Someone who has done this before. Not a hot new name in the coaching world who is going to try and sell himself to a bigger program the first chance he gets. It may not be Schiano, but it better be someone with some gravitas. If we can't have legitimacy on the field right away, we have to know the skipper knows where to steer the ship.

This is now a ****ing tragedy. The failure of the program is a failure to the fans, the athletics department, to the school, and to the B1G.

Bac,

Cant disagree with anything you said. I also get why people like Real disagree with the last sentence. They are probably right in the long term, but guys like us who want Schiano want the bleeding to stop. That's what he brings to the table. You and I will take a 5-6 win team at this point. Schiano doesn't have the upside Hafley or someone else has , but they are still question marks. Greg did it once before. I'll take Greg next and go for the hotshot in 5 years.

i too realize that this is short term thinking over long term but I think the abyss is so deep that short term solutions need to happen. I know that GS will bring recruits, I know he will bring fans back, I know he will bring good publicity. I dont know if he will bring wins and bowls but quite frankly I can say the same for Joe Schmoe from Bumblebee State in Ohio.. and Mr Schmoe is a crapshoot for fans,

Greg Schiano built the program from nothing. He sent dozens of players to the NFL...Super Bowl winners. Those are huge selling points.

Agree. Greg is the man to stop the bleeding and right the ship. It will take years to fix the mess that flood and ash created with their inability to recruit.

..."stop....Hobbsneeded to fire Ash but he needed to have a plan ready to go which means he needed "...

A plan, that is something that Hobbs does not have. Ash needed to be fired last year and firing in September proves it. However, unless a plan was in place letting Ash go after 4 games was a colossal mistake as the program is beyond aimless. Unless a new coach was brought in NOW for next season, we will continue to fall behind.

Reactions: CERU00
can you imagine if Schiano is hired by game 7 or 8.....that makes the statement to NJ players immediately and the fanbase gets a jolt of excitement. Sure the team is going to get spanked embarrassingly the rest of the year but its a game changer perception wise...waiting until December just adds weeks and weeks of RU being called a laughingstock with no hope

Hollywood Hobbs, ha, good one!

I’m still scratching my head as to why Hobbs picked Nunzio, our TE coach, as both HC and OC. He is totally unqualified at both positions. Did Hobbs think the team would perform as well under Nunzio as Ash for the rest of this season? He probably had no idea that things would fall apart the way they have.

Id like Hobbs to interview Greg but hope we end up with someone else.

My hs baseball coach had a saying that I remember that applies here.

“You can’t win today’s game by yesterday’s score.”

RU FB needs new leadership, new people and a new attitude. Greg’s record since he left RU is questionable at best and there is little demand for him as a P5 HC. Greg 2.0 at RU is no safe bet imo. Id rather roll the dice with someone else.

Again, direct your anger at the BOGs that continues to sit by and not approve spending for hiring and firing. It's the one constant over decades of ineptitude. We hired Flood because they wouldn't approve more $ for a better coach. We retained Flood and didn't hire Mullen or Narduzzi because they wouldn't approve more $ for buyouts and new HC. We hired Ash because they wouldn't approve more $ for a current HC. We retained Ash after last year because they wouldn't approve more $ for the buyouts and new HC. We could've and should've fired Ash during or after the season due to all the arrests.

Outstanding post

Again, direct your anger at the BOGs that continues to sit by and not approve spending for hiring and firing. It's the one constant over decades of ineptitude. We hired Flood because they wouldn't approve more $ for a better coach. We retained Flood and didn't hire Mullen or Narduzzi because they wouldn't approve more $ for buyouts and new HC. We hired Ash because they wouldn't approve more $ for a current HC. We retained Ash after last year because they wouldn't approve more $ for the buyouts and new HC. We could've and should've fired Ash during or after the season due to all the arrests.

then Hobbs needed to raise the money for the buyout. I believe he could have. Hard times require hard choices. Hobbs has incredible goodwill among donors and the RU BOG and administration. His job is to fix football. However I think he is just a political hire here and thats why there was inaction

then Hobbs needed to raise the money for the buyout. I believe he could have. Hard times require hard choices. Hobbs has incredible goodwill among donors and the RU BOG and administration. His job is to fix football. However I think he is just a political hire here and thats why there was inaction
Greg Brown has been here for an eternity and donated millions of $, yet we still hired Flood and Ash and passed on tons of better candidates with HC experience. Why? Because the BOGs is the problem.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
I long ago gave up on the fairy tale that Rutgers was a diamond in the rough, and that we could be a beast if we just could keep our NJ players. I've been hearing that since the 1970's. Its not true. So many other colleges have strong ties and strong relationships it will never happen. So what we are left with is every decent recruits "safe" school, if they can't get a big scholarship well there is RU. Not much different than Monmouth, James Madison, VIllanova, and Delaware

I hope it's Schiano. I desoerately hope it's Schiano.But I have a very close friend well connected to Rutrgers at the highest levels and he mentioned to me that he heard a rumor that Schiano wanted the AD position in addition to the head coach job. Has anyone else heard this ?

interesting...I definitely would give the AD position to GS...its not unprecedented. I see GS as potential AD in the future here..maybe give him the AD job and let him hire someone

Reactions: Mr Magoo
interesting...I definitely would give the AD position to GS...its not unprecedented. I see GS as potential AD in the future here..maybe give him the AD job and let him hire someone

That’s when RU fans get Flood 2.0.

I understand that people are frustrated with losing, but putting all your faith behind Greg-only seems desperate. Let’s see what Hobbs comes up with. I’m not sure that Greg wants to come back to RU. If that’s the case then we need a Plan B.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Excellent post. I agree with everything you said and feel the same way. I can't think of a darker time in rutgers football during my lifetime, and that is saying something. Hobbs has screwed this up on every level. Hire Greg now or step aside and let someone competent handle it.

Some of you need counseling from seasoned Northwestern fans. What they went through before Gary Barnett took over would I fear cause a lot of you to jump off a bridge. In four years he took one of the worst programs in college football history to the Rose Bowl. In all the time that Northwestern was horrible, even worse than we are today, the B1G never threatened to kick them out of the conference. Please stop, we apparently have a lot of drama queens for fans. There are plenty of successful HCs that could win here and the state, administration, players, and fans deserve a legitimate coaching search for the best candidate. If it ends up back at Greg Schiano, so be it, but if Hobbs doesn't wait to the end of the season and gauge the interest of some current winning HCs he should be fired, period.

Last edited:

Bac

Nailed it

If there is another guy who has a better resume than Schiano to get this program back on track AND that can recruit recruit and recruit some more ...then HIRE the man

I don’t think there is. Period.

Reactions: bac2therac
Some of you need counseling from seasoned Northwestern fans. What they went through before Gary Barnett took over would I fear cause a lot of you to jump off a bridge. In four years he took one of the worst programs in college football history to the Rose Bowl. In all the time that Northwestern was horrible, even worse than we are today, the B1G never threatened to kick them out of the conference. Please stop, we apparently have a lot of drama queens for fans. There are plenty of successful HCs that could win here and the state, administration, players, and fans deserve a legitimate coaching search for the best candidate. If it ends up back at Greg Schiano, so be it, but if Hobbs doesn't wait to the end of the season and gauge the interest of some current winning HCs he should be fired, period.
Vince Okruch, the current Special Teams/OLB coach was DL coach and then DC for Barnett during his run at NW and followed him to Colorado as DC.

Schiano would make a better AD than coach. He understands NJ, football and Rutgers. He also is a control freak and micro manages, not necessarily bad traits for an AD. He also would be a better AD than Hobbs, which doesn’t help his case for being hired as coach. He’d be tough to control and he’d be a constant threat.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Spot on Bac. Realistically I don't see anyone working as a HC right now who is #1 capable of doing this job and #2 wants to do this job. So waiting until the end of the season gains us nothing IMHO. All that can be saved from this season is to begin rebuilding our recruiting. Good god, we've all seen Ash at press conferences. Did anyone for a minute think he was better in a recruit's living room? Recruiting is the first thing that needs to be fixed here. If you don't agree, replay us getting curb-stomped by Indiana today. Schiano could be working on this now. Telling recruits that the slide is over and that they will be the first class to bring Rutgers back. Formulating and selling a vision for the program. (The Hunt? Please shoot me). Talking to high school coaches and telling them their players will be cared for, coached up, and improved at this program. Greg Schiano will bring in better than MAC level talent. And that's what we have right now. At the same time Schiano will be telling our eroding fan base that the worst is over and there is actually hope for this program and a reason to keep buying season tickets.

The two things this program most desperately needs right now are things Schiano can provide. Better players and more season ticket holders. The man was the #1 recruiter in the country two years ago. And how many people on this board alone have said they'd buy in for Schiano?

Game management, beating West Virginia, micromanaging, not winning the big one - hey people have plausible arguments on those that I respect. But there is NO ONE out there who can fix recruiting and ticket sales as quickly as Schiano can.

No thanks, I'd rather read your childish posts. A nervous Nellie. Ouch grandma that hurt.

Again, direct your anger at the BOGs that continues to sit by and not approve spending for hiring and firing. It's the one constant over decades of ineptitude. We hired Flood because they wouldn't approve more $ for a better coach. We retained Flood and didn't hire Mullen or Narduzzi because they wouldn't approve more $ for buyouts and new HC.
This is a key point. The fact is that we should not have needed Greg to come back and save the program, if we spent the money and hired a big time HC when Greg left in the first place.

The time to have hired a “better coach than Greg” was back then, when he first left. We don’t have that luxury now. We’re back to square one and we need a program builder again. Get Greg here.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT