ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts

Again, direct your anger at the BOGs that continues to sit by and not approve spending for hiring and firing. It's the one constant over decades of ineptitude. We hired Flood because they wouldn't approve more $ for a better coach. We retained Flood and didn't hire Mullen or Narduzzi because they wouldn't approve more $ for buyouts and new HC. We hired Ash because they wouldn't approve more $ for a current HC. We retained Ash after last year because they wouldn't approve more $ for the buyouts and new HC. We could've and should've fired Ash during or after the season due to all the arrests.

This begs the question of what changed financially between December 2018 to last month...and I don't think anything did

Reactions: miket007 and ATIOH
If Hobbs wont hire Greg because of his ego and/or lack of planning, just make Schiano the AD and coach not unlike Barry Alvarez. Done and done.

Reactions: redking
He’s probably shellshocked, out of his comfort zone, and had no plan when he made the decision to fire Ash. Amateur hour. In over his head. A lawyer. Not an action driven executive.

2 weeks later and Hobbs is still deciding on a Search Firm to do the Recruitment on the Head Coach position.
You can’t make this stuff up.

This begs the question of what changed financially between December 2018 to last month...and I don't think anything did
What changed was that we looked even worse and less competitive so the BOGs finally acted, but too late, like always. This is the same BOGs that wouldn't allow Hobbs to fire Donigan, because they wouldn't eat $130,000 or $260,000, so we had to wait until his contract expired and drive the program further into the ground. It's been the same constant for decades.

2 weeks later and Hobbs is still deciding on a Search Firm to do the Recruitment on the Head Coach position.
I thought he had done all his behind the scenes work , got a wink wink plan /coach in place and was ready to announce fairly soon after the firing. It appears to be the opposite. He made a knee jerk reaction to release ash and OC after game 4 and then searching for search firms .

I thought he had done all his behind the scenes work , got a wink wink plan /coach in place and was ready to announce fairly soon after the firing. It appears to be the opposite. He made a knee jerk reaction to release ash and OC after game 4 and then searching for search firms .
This is the part that's distressing. it seems like firing Ash after week 4 was a knee-jerk reaction. What, exactly, is the purpose of firing Ash then if you didn't have your shortlist ready? And if the short list was ready, why wasn't Ash fired at the end of last year? It was obvious to anyone who saw a game that he wasn't going to get the job done.

interesting...I definitely would give the AD position to GS...its not unprecedented. I see GS as potential AD in the future here..maybe give him the AD job and let him hire someone
I like that bac! He would make a really good AD, and wouldn't let the BOG dictate. But, that's also the reason they would never hire him. BTW, great initial post!

!!!! Really! Wow, I can see why people here dislike Hobbs so much, pure incompetence. How can you fire your Football Head coach, and not have a plan in place! Remember, when Hobbs was hired, big things were mentioned about all the wonderful things he had done at Seton Hall. Seton Hall! The ship that sank, Seton Hall. If this school's goal is to be Seton Hall, get out of the Big 10, and see if the Ivy League still has interest. We are what we are, maybe it's time to acknowledge it...

Barchi will be gone but things will not change here. I am still convinced the school just wants to do the bare minimum and cash checks, it will point to minor success in sports that don't move the needle and say they eliminated the subsidy. It will not matter that football goes 1-11 every year.
There's the problem. Rutgers doesn't care about sports.

Reactions: bac2therac
I don't want schiano back because of his high ceiling. Sadly, I want him back for his high floor. We can't talk about competing for big 10 titles if we can't even throw the football for more than one yard. ONE! If we can't block anyone. If our DL gets shoved back 3 yards on any given running play.

This is the reason for Schiano. If necessary we can get around to firing him after 10 years of only winning 6/year in this conference. LOL

!!!! Really! Wow, I can see why people here dislike Hobbs so much, pure incompetence. How can you fire your Football Head coach, and not have a plan in place! Remember, when Hobbs was hired, big things were mentioned about all the wonderful things he had done at Seton Hall. Seton Hall! The ship that sank, Seton Hall. If this school's goal is to be Seton Hall, get out of the Big 10, and see if the Ivy League still has interest. We are what we are, maybe it's time to acknowledge it...

except that is not true.

Vince Okruch, the current Special Teams/OLB coach was DL coach and then DC for Barnett during his run at NW and followed him to Colorado as DC.
I wouldn't put too much stock into Okruch. While he was the DL coach at NW, it was DC Vandy (Vanderlin) who had an impact on the DL. Coach Vandy's strength is coaching the DL. Similar to Graber being the HC at Rutgers, he spent a lot of time with the secondary. Okruch is similar to Ash in being in the right place at the right time. People assume he's better because of the company he keeps. Okruch time as the DC at Colorado was not a thing of beauty.

I wouldn't put too much stock into Okruch. While he was the DL coach at NW, it was DC Vandy (Vanderlin) who had an impact on the DL. Coach Vandy's strength is coaching the DL. Similar to Graber being the HC at Rutgers, he spent a lot of time with the secondary. Okruch is similar to Ash in being in the right place at the right time. People assume he's better because of the company he keeps. Okruch time as the DC at Colorado was not a thing of beauty.
I wasn't pumping him up in any way. But he's been around, and he has a perspective on what a successful rebuild looks like, regardless of whether he deserves any credit for it. The perspective of people like him, and you, who have been in the trenches and played and coached the game is infinitely more valuable than most of the wingnuts on this board (including the wingnut on this keyboard). Like anyone else, however, people with a good perspective can be wrong or at least a little bit off in their opinions. Hiring a head coach is not an exact science, as we have seen with Chip Kelly at UCLA. Or even Mario Cristobal, who did poorly in his first stint as HC. Sometimes it is the wrong place and the wrong time for a head coach.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
OK, I'll bite. How do you know, and what do you know?

How do YOU know.

Spoiler alert the people who actually know are not talking so to say nothing or something has happen is complete and total nonsense.

So just let it play out, we will all know when a press conference is announced, until then stop damning people for made up :Poop

How do YOU know.

Spoiler alert the people who actually know are not talking so to say nothing or something has happen is complete and total nonsense.

So just let it play out, we will all know when a press conference is announced, until then stop damning people for made up :Poop
Maybe Hobbs' press conference should be pinned to the top of the threads:
Q. The process, it's a two-month process. I assume you're not going to hire anyone before the end of the season?
PAT HOBBS: My intention right now is that we would hopefully be in a position to announce at the end of the season.

You asked about a search committee. Probably will employ a search firm. We'll probably start having some conversations with some of those organizations late this week, next week, before we make a decision. But they can be invaluable in the process. They act as a funnel for information. Obviously if football coaches want to reach out, either themselves or through intermediaries, I would rather not be handling that part of the process, because we want to use all of our efforts and our time to make a considered decision to bring the very best coach here to Rutgers University.

When it comes to the football program, Hobbs is over his head. His mistakes are large, many and they continue. We need a professional in that position. Hiring the Temple AD would not be a bad option.
I think he might have a great advantage over a lot of other coaches, due to the fact he knows the East Coast like the back
of his hand. He has the head coaching experience we desperately need, I vote yes!

What changed was that we looked even worse and less competitive so the BOGs finally acted, but too late, like always. This is the same BOGs that wouldn't allow Hobbs to fire Donigan, because they wouldn't eat $130,000 or $260,000, so we had to wait until his contract expired and drive the program further into the ground. It's been the same constant for decades.

I don't think we looked any worse than we did last year and didn't have a bad loss on the level of Kansas or Buffalo yet.

Also Hobbs said to NJ.Com he himself decided after the Michigan game. So it would be very interesting if he is giving cover to the BOG.

And aren't these many of the same people who raised Schiano's salary and made him top 10 in compensation before we were in the B1G?

This is a key point. The fact is that we should not have needed Greg to come back and save the program, if we spent the money and hired a big time HC when Greg left in the first place.

The time to have hired a “better coach than Greg” was back then, when he first left. We don’t have that luxury now. We’re back to square one and we need a program builder again. Get Greg here.

Thats on Pernetti, who many of these same people were so upset when he was let go. We were in a great position when Greg left to bring in someone with more experience than Flood.

'why should Rutgers be in this conference" --question that usually comes from trolls, cry baby band wagon fans, RU detractors or jealous UCONN or SHU fans---why even be a RU fan if you really feel that way--many of your comments actually tell what's wrong with some fans--they don't donate, but expect others to give support , they don't respect RU as an institution, they love the blame game and go out of their way to criticize RU-- from ice on sidewalk to poor lighting, anything real or unreal-- and they kick when we're down--typical NJ culture ,you may say you love the place but go out of your way to help belittle it

'why should Rutgers be in this conference" --question that usually comes from trolls, cry baby band wagon fans, RU detractors or jealous UCONN or SHU fans---why even be a RU fan if you really feel that way--many of your comments actually tell what's wrong with some fans--they don't donate, but expect others to give support , they don't respect RU as an institution, they love the blame game and go out of their way to criticize RU-- from ice on sidewalk to poor lighting, anything real or unreal-- and they kick when we're down--typical NJ culture ,you may say you love the place but go out of your way to help belittle it
It’s the simple things and legit complaints/observations like this that make it look like the institution doesn’t care. Why wouldn’t you think people are going to be as vocal when it seems even the little things are being taken care of?

I don't think GS is going to get hired, in the end. There's too many people who resented his authority and the way he wielded it with such an "in your face" attitude. They will do almost anything to avoid going back to living with that.

But that was exactly what overcame the issues with our institutional leadership as it relates to sports. He bulldozed the nonsense, the opposition, everything. Can a mere football coach have success at Rutgers? I haven't seen anyone come anywhere close.

It's sad that the decision makers are blocking this. Belichick and Urban Meyer's view on a Schiano run program tell you all you need to know about how good the guy is. And a strong program is our only hope. A Schiano program can be sold to top recruits, "We will get the best out of you, period." That's the only sales pitch that will work here. An RPO offensive attack? Forget it. The athletes on the top end teams will stuff it. We'll lose 70-0 in year one and then wait four years for it it to be all over.

This is our last chance with Schiano. Next cycle, he's too old. When you have the chance to get back the only guy who moved the needle at Rutgers, you jump at it. Let the next coach work off his foundation for next level greatness. Only a great program will get us out of the dumpster and that's what Schiano creates and he'll do it instantly.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
I don't think GS is going to get hired, in the end. There's too many people who resented his authority and the way he wielded it with such an "in your face" attitude. They will do almost anything to avoid going back to living with that.

But that was exactly what overcame the issues with our institutional leadership as it relates to sports. He bulldozed the nonsense, the opposition, everything. Can a mere football coach have success at Rutgers? I haven't seen anyone come anywhere close.

It's sad that the decision makers are blocking this. Belichick and Urban Meyer's view on a Schiano run program tell you all you need to know about how good the guy is. And a strong program is our only hope. A Schiano program can be sold to top recruits, "We will get the best out of you, period." That's the only sales pitch that will work here. An RPO offensive attack? Forget it. The athletes on the top end teams will stuff it. We'll lose 70-0 in year one and then wait four years for it it to be all over.

This is our last chance with Schiano. Next cycle, he's too old. When you have the chance to get back the only guy who moved the needle at Rutgers, you jump at it. Let the next coach work off his foundation for next level greatness. Only a great program will get us out of the dumpster and that's what Schiano creates and he'll do it instantly.

Wow. Really reaching for it. Your statements have no basis in fact and are just huge assumptions that have not been verified by anyone close to the search. Maybe change the cowboy hat in your picture to a tin foil hat? Please be patient and stop with all of the false assumptions. It's ultimately damaging to the process.

Again, direct your anger at the BOGs that continues to sit by and not approve spending for hiring and firing. It's the one constant over decades of ineptitude. We hired Flood because they wouldn't approve more $ for a better coach. We retained Flood and didn't hire Mullen or Narduzzi because they wouldn't approve more $ for buyouts and new HC. We hired Ash because they wouldn't approve more $ for a current HC. We retained Ash after last year because they wouldn't approve more $ for the buyouts and new HC. We could've and should've fired Ash during or after the season due to all the arrests.

This isn't accurate, I don't think.

In the nosebleed strata of coaching contracts, the school pays a marginal amount and the rest comes from boosters. It is, therefore, not aligned with reality to claim that if we can't spend $5mm on a coach that the BOG is to blame.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Wow. Really reaching for it. Your statements have no basis in fact and are just huge assumptions that have not been verified by anyone close to the search. Maybe change the cowboy hat in your picture to a tin foil hat? Please be patient and stop with all of the false assumptions. It's ultimately damaging to the process.
Your supercilious posts are a total bore. The anti-Schiano sentiments have been verified and re-verified by many people connected to the program at many levels and in many different ways. If you want to pretend otherwise, that's your choice but it doesn't change it. It is what it is.

If they don't find their way to Schiano, this program will never recover from here. The fan support will be gone. But at least you'll have good seats to watch another hopeful coach get swallowed up whole at Rutgers.

This is the part that's distressing. it seems like firing Ash after week 4 was a knee-jerk reaction. What, exactly, is the purpose of firing Ash then if you didn't have your shortlist ready? And if the short list was ready, why wasn't Ash fired at the end of last year? It was obvious to anyone who saw a game that he wasn't going to get the job done.

He should have had a short list last year. Every good AD should always have a list at the ready

Reactions: graystork
I think the only hope is that Brown and the Towers can help fund a really solid name hire. But, I've always loved Schiano. I think he would do an amazing job given the Ash heap we now have.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Your supercilious posts are a total bore. The anti-Schiano sentiments have been verified and re-verified by many people connected to the program at many levels and in many different ways. If you want to pretend otherwise, that's your choice but it doesn't change it. It is what it is.

If they don't find their way to Schiano, this program will never recover from here. The fan support will be gone. But at least you'll have good seats to watch another hopeful coach get swallowed up whole at Rutgers.
Yeah, waiting for verification and re-verification. Because there has not been one verified report of anti-Schiano sentiments by anyone within the athletics department. To the contrary, Greg Brown is a very big supporter of Schiano, and he works closely with Pat Hobbs. Doubt that Pat Hobbs would dismiss a candidate Greg Brown supporters, especially when they have never even met. So, no, there is nothing supercilious about my posts, but just an earnest plea to stop posting unverified innuendo, rumors or suspicion of something that is in your head. And please stop with the hyperbole that this problem will never recover if Schiano is not hired. That is ridiculous. Sorry if your feelings are hurt, but I am again sincerely asking the unsupported rumor-mongering to stop.

Reactions: newell138

Good post , the RU sports clown dept needed it then and they need it again now. Look where we are now. Embarrassing. No one better in college than urban Meyer and no one better in NFL than bill belechick and your point is spot on about both employing GS. Haters will ignore this of course.

Thats on Pernetti, who many of these same people were so upset when he was let go. We were in a great position when Greg left to bring in someone with more experience than Flood.
Either you missed the point, or you cherry-picked a few lines to fit your narrative. You quoted BillyC80, who was commenting on Leonard23, and both seem to agree the BOG is the real reason Rutgers is in a predicament. The AD does carry some responsibility, but the majority of the blame should be with the BOG. They control the money and must "OK" all decisions.

FYI: Flood was the last resort option after Rutgers failed to get Mario. It became clear Rutgers wasn't going to raise the salary offer to attract other quality coaches. Tim's most significant issue was trying to spin the Flood hiring as a positive move when everyone knew it was BS on the highest level.

What's the hurry? This season is shot, another zero conference win total. Why rush. To have made a decision in two weeks would resemble the hiring Flood.

interesting...I definitely would give the AD position to GS...its not unprecedented. I see GS as potential AD in the future here..maybe give him the AD job and let him hire someone

Phil Fullmer from Tennessee is now the AD after being the Vols HC from 1992-2008.

But I wouldn’t compare coaching records between the two. Although he didn’t do it at RU, he did it in the SEC, fwiw.

Greg couldn’t shine his shoes.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/phillip-fulmer-1.html

Question - if Greg Schiano were to get hit by a bus tomorrow, would you then advocate shutting down the football program?
Answer that question with another question.
Why would Gus "the Bus” Edwards want to hit Greg ?[roll]
He's with the Ravens now .

EDIT:if you mean Jerome Bettis, he might just to hit someone :Fist: :FistBump:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT