ADVERTISEMENT

Tight End Position

Zimm80

All Conference
Feb 2, 2005
NJ
I have to ask , what’s the deal my friends, I’ve been keeping tabs on recruiting for quite a few years now and we meaning RU have always lagged behind in landing TE’s. Now especially with the type of offense we’re trying to run we should be leaving no stone unturned to find some quality TE’s , it just always seems like we’re converting someone to TE or scrambling right up to signing day , I realize we got Higgins in this years class but in my opinion you have to bring in more than one TE at least every other year.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I hear you , but to help this offense work you have to be able to have a capable TE release the DE so the QB can dump off to them especially when your offensive line is getting penetrated almost every play, it will keep that DE more honest , I would hope it may also give the QB more time to drop back and not being being forced to step up too far in the pocket where the pocket is being pushed back.

Seems like a good place to find big men with some skills is the basketball court
I think there are some BB players who will have a bigger upside than garden variety football players
They just have to get used to the contact. KC's Kelcie was a good basketball player with offers. Sam Darnold was a basketball boss with D1 offers before he played football. Kids who play footballl now should play BB as it improves a lot of skills and conditioning

Reactions: 1coastalknight
Seems like a good place to find big men with some skills is the basketball court
I think there are some BB players who will have a bigger upside than garden variety football players
They just have to get used to the contact. KC's Kelcie was a good basketball player with offers. Sam Darnold was a basketball boss with D1 offers before he played football. Kids who play footballl now should play BB as it improves a lot of skills and conditioning

That's the downside of the proliferation of club teams the encourage playing a single sport 12 months a year. And with a few exceptions, I think it holds back the athletic development of a lot of kids.

BTW, that being said there are a ton of D1 football players who excelled in lacrosse, starting with Jim Brown in the 50s. Most recently, RU portal target Colby Reeder was a stud HS lacrosse player.

That's the downside of the proliferation of club teams the encourage playing a single sport 12 months a year. And with a few exceptions, I think it holds back the athletic development of a lot of kids.

BTW, that being said there are a ton of D1 football players who excelled in lacrosse, starting with Jim Brown in the 50s. Most recently, RU portal target Colby Reeder was a stud HS lacrosse player.
Yes Lacrosse can be great

When it comes to big men maybe not so much. A local HS that is one of the top programs tells its players they would like them to stay under 165lb (persoanally I've seen very few big lax players). The good thing is a lot of the Lax players also play football - including guys who accepted offers to school like ND, SU, Hopkins etc while they were juniors and still played football as seniors

Yes Lacrosse can be great

When it comes to big men maybe not so much. A local HS that is one of the top programs tells its players they would like them to stay under 165lb (persoanally I've seen very few big lax players). The good thing is a lot of the Lax players also play football - including guys who accepted offers to school like ND, SU, Hopkins etc while they were juniors and still played football as seniors

TEs and DEs have been staples of lax defensemen for over 50 years. A little bit of a decline over those years as the equipment got lighter and speed was more important. 6'3" middles were not all that unusual over that time, but they were usually in the 205-215 weight range. Lot of football LBs and RBs. DTs and OL not so much, but there were a few.

Lacrosse? That’s a stretch. On average a Top D1 Lax player is a lower Division Football player at best. I know we just had the exception with the Ramapo player who played well in the Super Bowl but that is the exception and not the rule. Kids play lax because they’re not good enough to play BIG Football.

Basketball I agree with. But even there the contact is much different and the talent does not always translate well.

Reactions: Kbee3
Lacrosse? That’s a stretch. On average a Top D1 Lax player is a lower Division Football player at best. I know we just had the exception with the Ramapo player who played well in the Super Bowl but that is the exception and not the rule. Kids play lax because they’re not good enough to play BIG Football.

Basketball I agree with. But even there the contact is much different and the talent does not always translate well.

You're not considering the kids that played lax in HS who gave it up when the played football in college. Reeders older brother is playing in the NFL and was a HS AA in lacrosse.

I should add most big kids in HS football will be steered into lineman duty
If a kid wants to play TE he should be firm about it and not get resourced into OL/DL

You're not considering the kids that played lax in HS who gave it up when the played football in college. Reeders older brother is playing in the NFL and was a HS AA in lacrosse.
Right that’s a great Football player who also played Lax in HS. I was only talking about kids who are playing Lax in college who were solid HS Football players but nowhere near the level of athlete we need for BIG competition. We’re not going to find great Football players by watching Lax games. Hoops maybe. Lax no.

Seems everyone has passed on Bauman. RU tried to get Brody but he committed elsewhere and then flipped on signing day. I think for now it's development and the hope that maybe Alaimo learns how to block

I think Konopka has a great future for us. We just need to look for him more than once a month.
And that my friends is the problem in a nutshell , this is why a TE with soft hands is not going to take a chance calling Rutgers his home knowing he may only get thrown to maybe 10 times a year , why waste his talent at RU when he can be a part of a throw first air attack at another location where his talents are utilized to the fullest.

And that my friends is the problem in a nutshell , this is why a TE with soft hands is not going to take a chance calling Rutgers his home knowing he may only get thrown to maybe 10 times a year , why waste his talent at RU when he can be a part of a throw first air attack at another location where his talents are utilized to the fullest.

That could change with the incoming OL class. Tough to run a crossing pattern when the QB has to throw the ball when you're only 1/4 of the way across the field.

with Gavin we should be able to utilize the middle of the field much better and throw to the open TEs. Clean slate starting in 2022 for this offense.

I like our TE room. I think Langan now devoted to the position will be a solid starter , Konopka a very capable #2 with Alaimo in place at #3 plus a lot of young talent recruited over the past 2 years developing and competing to get in the mix.

The best transfer tight end that came to Rutgers was Jerome Washington. It would be nice to find another one and Jovani Haskins is a close second. A player like him would also be great indeed.
I thought Haskins was a disappointment.
Bergenfield.

We were spoiled for a bit back in the day with Harris, later Kroft. Even Brock and Jefferson were solid when given chances. Almost forgot Sam Johnson- good blocker and one of the first NJ recruits to lead the way here.

We were spoiled for a bit back in the day with Harris, later Kroft. Even Brock and Jefferson were solid when given chances. Almost forgot Sam Johnson- good blocker and one of the first NJ recruits to lead the way here.

Even more spoiled for the few years Harris and Johnson played together. Perhaps the only years a 2 TE set was an offensive threat

Even more spoiled for the few years Harris and Johnson played together. Perhaps the only years a 2 TE set was an offensive threat
No doubt! And although Sam wasn’t known as a receiving TE first, he had one of the most important, underrated TD catches in the initial GS rebuild - at UCONN in 2005.

Not to forget Marco Battaglia.

This sums it up.

SG's offense, when run properly (see: with a 5-man OL that can block and a QB who can see over the middle), will make big-time use of the TE as a pass-catcher.

Reactions: Zimm80
TE ‘s ends to watch are both Langan and Konopka . Aliaimo still needs some muscle . We have 4 others that could emerge from the group but that is where development comes into play. We do need a good one from the transfer portal If and when .

I can't argue because his numbers weren't great but I don't think it was all his fault. I was thinking someone with a similar skill set.
Haskins played well for us. He did everything he was asked to do. We simply did not run enough plays to get everyone enough targets. Bo got his fair share and even he was not targeted enough.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
Haskins played well for us. He did everything he was asked to do. We simply did not run enough plays to get everyone enough targets. Bo got his fair share and even he was not targeted enough.
That is a true statement about Haskins and his production at RU. If we had a proficient O line and a better WR core I totally believe he would have had better numbers. Though I appreciate Noah he is not the answer going forward . As a # 2 he fits the bill. Wimsatt has a chance to be very good . Greg and Gleason handled it correctly. He was not destroyed with a poor O line like Tom Savage in his sophomore year. Need 2 years of good to better recruiting to compete every week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT