To the owners on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
you will kill this free board if you continue to move threads to off topic. Just a warning to you. You guys have it good right now that TOS flopped big time but you run a real risk of basically cutting off discussion. I realize you want to make it about RU football...and that usually happens, we are just in a very slow period but one way to drive people out of here is to basically move threads they like to participate them to a very different current events board where the style is not for them

you will kill this free board if you continue to move threads to off topic. Just a warning to you. You guys have it good right now that TOS flopped big time but you run a real risk of basically cutting off discussion. I realize you want to make it about RU football...and that usually happens, we are just in a very slow period but one way to drive people out of here is to basically move threads they like to participate them to a very different current events board where the style is not for them

It wasn't the mods

Totally agree. If something devolves into name calling and partisan political bickering that's one thing. Moving the Mets and Yankees season threads to the politics board is really not ok. That board is a savage bloodthirsty battleground. Not where most of us ever even look or go.
As a board moderator, which I have been on multiple occasions, I made sure not to interfere with the conversational flow and interplay that was a normal part of the board discourse. Putting everything non-football related into the steel cage of the political forum just kills the threads that get moved there. It chokes off discussion, which is the primary advantage this forum has over all other RU message boards.

The Kentucky Derby a CE subject?
Move it back to this board NOW.
alice-in-wonderland-black-and-white-dream-gif-Favim.com-2557488.gif

Reactions: zappaa
It wasn't the mods
Doesn't matter who it was, I don't even want to know. The point is that I'm not going to hunt around on the politics board to find the Yankees season thread. If they want a Rutgers mainboard that has activity, the threads that are created there should not be moved to the politics board. Otherwise, go ahead and look at TOS if you want to see what this board will look like if they insist.

Reactions: Bababooey_Class'80

100% correct.

Geez know your audience just a bit.

It’s freaking May. Slightly dead time for college football.

The football team here didn’t exactly light it up the past few years.

Be grateful you are in a situation where people still come to the site after the recent changes of the site and struggles of the team.

Or just kill that community. Whatever works for you.

it flopped because the exodus didnt happen...because the board layout was piss poor.....and even if they improved it eventually, whats the point....but for some reason the new owners here want to commit suicide with their handling of off topics

It appears the movement stopped so perhaps he was enlightened.

Give it a chance to play out.

#Truth

Why do you think TOS flopped?
Simple: People resist change, in-general. Couple that with a step backward in how that message board works.. and./or having to learn again how to do the things you can do here... well, the critical mass of posters juts remained here.

Not sure how the number will work out on the PAYING members side.

But as I said earlier.. the CHANGE to eliminating OT stuff.. BIG mistake.. opens the door for someone to come along with a top notch message board that beats both TOS and the new policies here.

Really, the best bit is the fact that there has been much discussion, in the past, about how to handle OTs on this board. And every single time, the people on the board have come out largely in favor of leaving things alone.

So how do you ignore that volume of feedback?

Exactly correct. How dumb can you be? You are winning the war..don't F it up with a self inflicted wound.

The lifeblood of this board over the many years has been the fact that it is largely self-policing. The open nature of conversation generates conversation. If a topic doesn't fit, it falls off the front page and the problem solves itself. Other boards are not as vibrant because they try to control dialogue.

Its not rocket science. You cannot support a healthy online community by forcing people to talk about a terrible football team. We all love Rutgers here (well, most of us) but thats the plain truth. Stick to just moving the political crap.

Three threads on the Holmdel pooper and then all OT threads are flushed. Coincidence?

Agree with this. I've said this before when people bring up the topic of OTs and discussion outside of football. Technically, it says Rutgers Football but in practice it's a Rutgers Community board with football being a facilitator. It's so easy to not read/participate in topics that don't interest you, I do it all the time. I never understand what the issue is, you can literally just glance over topics so easily no matter how many there are that might not interest you. Most of the time I can't say I'm interested in much more than a handful or so of topics on the front page. It's not a big deal to me.

Eventually, TOS will improve layout/functionality and a sure way to push people in that direction is to remove OTs that make this community. Right now while they're in limbo there isn't a real alternative but if/when they improve it will become a viable option.

So OT threads are getting deleted? Why, it’s fun and eventually comes back for RU football in some fashion

I’m going to try to post one now

I’m in the camp of appreciate a OT thread here and there on the football board but it’s an absolute shit show of OT threads. Start an OT boards that doesn’t deal with politics but I don’t care if threads are started on the repainting of the locker rooms but it has to do with the football program which is the reason I come onto this board not because of discussions on Mets releasing Matt Harvey. I do love OT threads that have something to do with the University, New Brunswick or anything discussion regarding any of the RU athletic programs even on the football board. The over saturation of OT threads on the Football board is too much even for the off season and for the typical sky is falling RU football fan.

Keep tossing non RU related OT threads out I say.

GO RU

Uhhh yeah, I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you crazy losers but 247 is rocking right now lol. The content quality is just outrageous, the bang for your buck is just crazy.

I check here once every blue moon (free boards only, cancelled that premium subscription) and man, the salt is real.

Uhhh yeah, I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you crazy losers but 247 is rocking right now lol. The content quality is just outrageous, the bang for your buck is just crazy.

I check here once every blue moon (free boards only, cancelled that premium subscription) and man, the salt is real.
The 247 community is non-existent. Traffic is very low, with mostly Mods posting.

Why do you think TOS flopped?
Simple: People resist change, in-general. Couple that with a step backward in how that message board works.. and./or having to learn again how to do the things you can do here... well, the critical mass of posters juts remained here.

Not sure how the number will work out on the PAYING members side.

I'd love to see the numbers supporting your claim - imo, this free board is dead once the lack of paying members becomes too obvious to ignore.

The 247 community is non-existent. Traffic is very low, with mostly Mods posting.

I don't typically use the free boards - either here or there - so I can't speak to that.

But their premium board matches the RT here in its prime. Especially considering it's the offseason and a typically slow time of the year.

I know you guys love to cling to this place but... Days are numbered boys.

I don't typically use the free boards - either here or there - so I can't speak to that.

But their premium board matches the RT here in its prime. Especially considering it's the offseason and a typically slow time of the year.

Nice try, even on the premium boards, the traffic is higher here. 247's forum is straight out of the late 90's.

the most important thing for anyone to know about message boards community is that they do not like change.....the community
I'd love to see the numbers supporting your claim - imo, this free board is dead once the lack of paying members becomes too obvious to ignore.

not really...there are tons of members who just use the free board and never go on premium

Reactions: Section124

Nice try, even on the premium boards, the traffic is higher here. 247's forum is straight out of the late 90's.

Pick an argument and stick to it.

A) Traffic - I'm looking at the top posts on 247 and here on the premium board, and the average comments per post on 247 is way higher. Especially considering the sheer amount of content being put out. How are you gauging traffic?

B) The format definitely sucks, but a redesign and app are apparently underway. I'm willing to wait because of the quality of the content.

C) The inside info provided by their team is just... Ludicrous. It's insane, and, like I said, the bang for your buck is outrageous and blows this place out of the water.

Don't know what else to say. I don't pay for a bunch of crazies on the free board, I pay for insider info and analysis. To be frank I'm kinda glad a couple of your particularly ornery people didn't make the jump with the rest of us.

the most important thing for anyone to know about message boards community is that they do not like change.....the community

Disagree entirely lol. I come here for info, why the hell would I care about a bunch of free board posters?

And FWIW, last I checked, most of the members with actual inside connections hopped shipped and moved with us to the better service.

not really...there are tons of members who just use the free board and never go on premium[/QUOTE]

You're making my point for me. Those free board members are supporting the board by....? Finish the sentence.

Who cares about the volume of posters on the free board. Their traffic ain't paying the bills or staff. The dwindling numbers of premium subsribers do. Or rather, did.

Listen, I don't mean to piss in your Cheerios. But don't bash the other service while pretending this dying platform is in any way superior. Just go down with your ship and enjoy it while it lasts.

Disagree entirely lol. I come here for info, why the hell would I care about a bunch of free board posters?

And FWIW, last I checked, most of the members with actual inside connections hopped shipped and moved with us to the better service.

not really...there are tons of members who just use the free board and never go on premium

You're making my point for me. Those free board members are supporting the board by....? Finish the sentence.

Who cares about the volume of posters on the free board. Their traffic ain't paying the bills or staff. The dwindling numbers of premium subsribers do. Or rather, did.

Listen, I don't mean to piss in your Cheerios. But don't bash the other service while pretending this dying platform is in any way superior. Just go down with your ship and enjoy it while it lasts.[/QUOTE]
Stop trying to justify your poor decision. Traffic is higher on the premium board (shear # of posts) and obviously the 247 free boards are already dead and gone, including the BB board which essentially means no BB fans should bother with 247.

John O screwed the pooch, nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT