ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal

Yara is in the portal :(
are-you-kidding-me-freaking-serious.gif

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Freaking brutal news! Instead of finding 1 or 2 weights in the Portal, this makes us look for another! And not a lot of top tier guys in the weights we need. Hard to win matches against good teams when you are basically giving up 2 weights per duals. Without a very good portal pick up at 165 or Hwt, we will not be competitive at those weights...The portal giveth and taketh away!

Saw a teaser that Wyatt Hendrickson may be coming. That would be a big upgrade. Let's pray....
If you are talking about Mineo's tweet, that was more of a joke....saying wonder if he likes breakfast sandwiches....While agree it would be upgrade, Hendrickson needs to get approval from the Air Force to continue(not the Air Force Academy).

Reactions: Leonard23
Portal doesn’t mean transfer has to happen but if he’s gonna get paid it’s hard to blame him

Portal doesn’t mean transfer has to happen but if he’s gonna get paid it’s hard to blame him
The 2nd grad degree isn't a bad perk either. F*** Michigan but I don't blame Yara for securing a 2nd Master's. Undergrad at Harvard and double Master's at RBS and Ross Business School at Michigan? He'd be able to get whatever job he wanted. The money is just an added perk. Now had he gone to somewhere with shit academics? That'd be a head scratcher.

Reactions: mikemessner
The 2nd grad degree isn't a bad perk either. F*** Michigan but I don't blame Yara for securing a 2nd Master's. Undergrad at Harvard and double Master's at RBS and Ross Business School at Michigan? He'd be able to get whatever job he wanted. The money is just an added perk. Now had he gone to somewhere with shit academics? That'd be a head scratcher.
He can get a second masters at Rutgers

I think Good Sammy A beats both
He was a legitimate shot to AA
He could scramble with the best of them and was a killer on top.
That ain't him now. Was very promising but life happens. It will be interesting to see what he does at Rider. Maybe he will get some of his MOJO back.

Last edited:
Talking bout Cetta?? Not sure if Sammy beats Cetta.. one didn’t make the starting roster and the other went 2-2 at nationals
I understand he didn’t leave here on good terms but let’s be real Alvarez apparently split the wrestle offs with Williams but the staff decided to go with the youth for the post season and Jordan Williams teched Zargo who majored Cetta, Beat miller who majored Cetta and majored Munson who split matches with Cetta including pinning him, so while he had a great year (big fan of Cetta one of his youth coaches also coached me) I don’t think you can declare him better just because he was in the lineup ….but hopefully Sammy wrestles a full season and we ll see when they wrestle head to head next season in the dual. It wouldn’t shock me to see Cetta keep making big jumps and take it to him, wouldn’t shock me to see Alvarez get it together whoop Cetta and AA, wouldn’t shock me if Alvarez doesn’t end up wrestling at all or just disappears mid season either so we ll see

Reactions: njsportsphan
I understand he didn’t leave here on good terms but let’s be real Alvarez apparently split the wrestle offs with Williams but the staff decided to go with the youth for the post season and Jordan Williams teched Zargo who majored Cetta, Beat miller who majored Cetta and majored Munson who split matches with Cetta including pinning him, so while he had a great year (big fan of Cetta one of his youth coaches also coached me) I don’t think you can declare him better just because he was in the lineup ….but hopefully Sammy wrestles a full season and we ll see when they wrestle head to head next season in the dual. It wouldn’t shock me to see Cetta keep making big jumps and take it to him, wouldn’t shock me to see Alvarez get it together whoop Cetta and AA, wouldn’t shock me if Alvarez doesn’t end up wrestling at all or just disappears mid season either so we ll see
We do need a heavyweight. Maybe Sammy can wrestle there :) no need to cut weight

I think Good Sammy A beats both
He was a legitimate shot to AA
He could scramble with the best of them and was a killer on top.
Think ur thinking of freshman Sammy “the bull” version that hung tough with RBY.. that’s not him anymore.. he’s a beast scrambler but not the same guy that showed load of potentials… how many matches has he won at nationals??

Granted, if he gets his head straight maybe he can fulfill that potential but that’s a big IF…

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Yeah I get it.. some backups are better then starters or in some rare cases even better then AA(especially if they go to PSU). And I agree with ur points Cetta may or may not continue to jump lvl and Alvarez may or may not go “bull” mode again… my point is Sammy, current version, would not be a big upgrade for us, if any… if he wanted to come here for little to no beer money sure great.. if not, probably not worth the champagne taste.. lol

my point is Sammy, current version, would not be a big upgrade for us, if any… if he wanted to come here for little to no beer money sure great.. if not, probably not worth the champagne taste.. lol
Based on the circumstances of his last departure, I highly highly doubt the staff would consider him for a return.

Last edited:
Based on the circumstances of his last departure, I highly highly doubt the staff would consider him for a return.

Interesting in regards to the post you responded to. There was a RT thread title on New Jersey's own Shane Griffith possibly entering the transfer portal. Not sure if that is what they were referencing. There is no news anywhere I see on that though. That would be quite a nice get.
Huh? Shane Griffith is finished his eligibility

Absolutely...There will be good news soon...Let's Go!
This poster is usually correct. It seems as if he gets info directly from the coach.

Maybe Cardenas (197), Fish (165), Askey (157), Crosby (285), or McGonagle (141). Crosby wouldn't be much of an upgrade. McGonagle only if not convinced about Oliveri. Fish would be upgrade at 167 if not costing much money. Askey helps if plan is to redshirt Harer. Cardenas would be major upgrade especially if Poz can go 184 and Soldano redshirts.

The second best option would be Yara changing his mind. Unless there is another guy yet to entered, not many other options.

This poster is usually correct. It seems as if he gets info directly from the coach.

Maybe Cardenas (197), Fish (165), Askey (157), Crosby (285), or McGonagle (141). Crosby wouldn't be much of an upgrade. McGonagle only if not convinced about Oliveri. Fish would be upgrade at 167 if not costing much money. Askey helps if plan is to redshirt Harer. Cardenas would be major upgrade especially if Poz can go 184 and Soldano redshirts.

The second best option would be Yara changing his mind. Unless there is another guy yet to entered, not many other options.
Wont be McGonagle-he is going 133. Hoping Fish as he would plug a big hole at 165. Also Cardenas would be huge as well if Poz goes to 184.

Wont be McGonagle-he is going 133. Hoping Fish as he would plug a big hole at 165. Also Cardenas would be huge as well if Poz goes to 184.
Doubt Mcgonagle would go 141 otherwise he would stay at Lehigh and win that spot.. Cardenas would be a huge get and shake our roster up.. him 197, Poz 184, Turley/Soldano(rs) 174.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan

167 weight class. I remember those days :)

• Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Winning with hired guns has got to be such a weird feeling. A huge part of coaching is developing talent and building relationships with the athletes. You obviously should supplement your talent with outside help but building a core comprised almost exclusively of free agents has to be such a strange thing to coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT