ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling TRI-MEET (Minny, Purdue, Rutgers) MATCH THREAD

Extra match results:

174: Sam Skillings (MINN) injury default (2:49) over Joseph Grello (RU)
165: Baylor Fernandes (MINN) fall (0:49) over Connor O'Neill (RU)
125: Dylan Shawver (RU) fall (4:30) over Kooper Loehr (PUR)
133: Shane Metzler (RU) 11-4 dec. over Nathan Cummings (PUR)
141: Zach Firestone (RU) 8-1 dec. over Michael Leveille (PUR)
157: Jake Benner (RU) 8-6 dec. over Cooper Noehre (PUR)
165: Hayden Lohrey (PUR) 14-6 MD over Connor O'Neill (RU)
197: Kyle Epperly (RU) 3-1 SV1 over Holtmacher (Purdue)
HWT: Alex Esposito (RU) 6-0 dec. over Dorian Keys (PUR)
133: Jacob Rundell (PUR) 9-1 MD over Devon Britton (RU)
133: Jake Gliva (MINN) 12-3 MD over Malcolm Robinson (RU)
141: Brent Jones (MINN) injury default (4:28) over Zach Firestone (RU)
149: Jake Bergeland (MINN) 5-1 dec. over Gerard Angelo (RU)
157: Cael Carlson (MINN) 13-0 MD over Cody Harrison (RU)
165: Bailee O'Reilly (MINN) 19-3 TF over Connor O'Neill (RU)
197: Rowan Morgan (MINN) 7-3 dec. over Kyle Epperly (RU)
HWT: Keaton Kluever (MINN) 9-6 dec. over Alex Esposito (RU)

Very concerning results from Connor O'Neill thus far. He went 0-3 and literally none of his matches were even respectable today (Fall,MD, TF). He is now 0-4 on the year so I'm guessing he won't be making any sort of impact in the immediately future... the black hole that is 165 keeps getting larger unfortunately.

Shawver continues to impress, hopefully he gets a shot next weekend
O’Neill 0-3. That’s a bit disappointing.

Have you coached? Being coachable is great but that doesn't mean he's going to change what he's done for the past 7+ years. Rarely do you see the change you're looking for. Mindset is even harder. Have you been to practices or spoken with the coaches? They preach attack, score, aggressiveness. You rarely can change someone that hasn't had that mentality or wrestled that way.
You are an idiot ..the kid did not lose today’s match ..he was robbed ..he took down Sasso last easily and again had bad calls in that match too ..last week he lost to No.1 and No7 and both he wrestled well and coulda won ..he is way more aggressive this year then the past ..he found his weight class for sure ..no sucking weight and size wise he can now compete with everyone there ..one of the actual bright spots of our veterans and you keep finding fault ...typical supposed know it all comment

Just being the aggressor isn't enough. His O technique has a very low percentage of success because it's not a good attack. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone else rely solely on a merkle. He needs more higher percentage attacks and technique.
PS ..not sure where you’ve been watching but he has clearly been the aggressor in all his matches ...got sloppy and needs to finish his aggressiveness but to say he isn’t being aggressive is ridiculous

Today's matches left me with concerning questions- the last one for WNG

What resident athletes do we have in the room helping to develop our guys
The Princeton NJRTC resident athletes are competing all over - are our guys competing
What does Kiss do as a volunteer coach - he lacks wrestling credentials - what wrestlers does he work with - is he the best volunteer coach we could get
Posters say Leonardis is not a good heavyweight coach, if he leaves, who do we want as a heavyweight coach
WNG - what is happening with the SKWC? When Paich was there I got newsletters and updates. Is Bugen still on the Board? Who is in charge

Something just doesn't feel right
You're highlighting that we have a funding problem as we don't have enough donors/donations to fund a top RTC. Penn RTC passed us by because they have more $. Donate more money and higher amounts and we'll catch up.

As for SKWC emails, I get at least one a month and sometimes more.

You are an idiot ..the kid did not lose today’s match ..he was robbed ..he took down Sasso last easily and again had bad calls in that match too ..last week he lost to No.1 and No7 and both he wrestled well and coulda won ..he is way more aggressive this year then the past ..he found his weight class for sure ..no sucking weight and size wise he can now compete with everyone there ..one of the actual bright spots of our veterans and you keep finding fault ...typical supposed know it all comment
I don't think Mother Leonard is very bright but certainly not an idiot, and when you start calling names, you're at his level.

I've been critical of MVB in the past but can easily see his dramatic improvement this year. He has indeed wrestled hard and close with some highly ranked kids. I'm glad to see him break the ice this week with a win. His improvement is so dramatic it has me wondering where he was training during the first semester.

Alright 174 should be Turley’s permanently. This kid is strong as hell.
I actually believe we should give this kid the spot ..nothing to lose by developing him now ...he might actually do more with confidence he will be the starter ....will be interesting to see what happens ...Aguilar hmmm ...real disappointment but Shawver might not be any better ...174/I think is an easy choice ..125 ..not so sure

PS ..not sure where you’ve been watching but he has clearly been the aggressor in all his matches ...got sloppy and needs to finish his aggressiveness but to say he isn’t being aggressive is ridiculous
I'm an idiot? LMAO, you're the biggest 🤡 and completely clueless. I've maintained all along that he has almost no offense and what he has is the most unorthodox I've ever seen. I've never seen any wrestler at any level rely solely on a merkle as their primary O. That's am extremely low percentage O and not going to consistently win many matches, especially against equal or better competition. You can keep pounding your chest that he's aggressive but that doesn't matter if his primary O has a 1% chance of success.

I don't think Mother Leonard is very bright but certainly not an idiot, and when you start calling names, you're at his level.

I've been critical of MVB in the past but can easily see his dramatic improvement this year. He has indeed wrestled hard and close with some highly ranked kids. I'm glad to see him break the ice this week with a win. His improvement is so dramatic it has me wondering where he was training during the first semester.
Ok..a blind idiot then lol...to say he isn’t being aggressive and doing same old stuff is just ridiculous ...his improvement is following up last years end of season run ..we have some issues for sure to discuss but so far MVB isn’t one of them

Reactions: Racpack

LMAO, I'm starting to think you and harley quinn are the same poster and replying to yourself. What a clown show this board has become with you 2.

I actually believe we should give this kid the spot ..nothing to lose by developing him now ...he might actually do more with confidence he will be the starter ....will be interesting to see what happens ...Aguilar hmmm ...real disappointment but Shawver might not be any better ...174/I think is an easy choice ..125 ..not so sure
Aguilar had a good year last year and Goodale said in a pre-season presser that he was a stronger wrestler. If he's been sick, that could explain his lack of strength. When I had talked about the development process, I think it was you who reported that there were statistics posted in the weight room. I wonder how his looks.

LMAO, I'm starting to think you and harley quinn are the same poster and replying to yourself. What a clown show this board has become with you 2.
[/QUOTE

you’re right ..he isn’t very bright lol

You're highlighting that we have a funding problem as we don't have enough donors/donations to fund a top RTC. Penn RTC passed us by because they have more $. Donate more money and higher amounts and we'll catch up.

As for SKWC emails, I get at least one a month and sometimes more.

Do we really have a funding problem. We were told that we have 4 athletes and also pay Pollard, Kiss, and I think Pagano as an administrative assistant. I have seen the other RTC athletes competing. I can't imagine that Kiss has the skills other volunteer coaches have, Everyone I speak with in the NJ wrestling community praise Pollard. As to newsletters, it is not a big deal. All I can say is Paich was on top of things and Bugen always got back to me when I had questions or ideas. Can you tell me who is running the show and when we can expect to see our athletes on the mat.

I am not trying to cause an argument. Just trying to understand the facts and what is going on. Leonard, sorry if I touched a nerve, Just a fan who wants us to win,

Do we really have a funding problem. We were told that we have 4 athletes and also pay Pollard, Kiss, and I think Pagano as an administrative assistant. I have seen the other RTC athletes competing. I can't imagine that Kiss has the skills other volunteer coaches have, Everyone I speak with in the NJ wrestling community praise Pollard. As to newsletters, it is not a big deal. All I can say is Paich was on top of things and Bugen always got back to me when I had questions or ideas. Can you tell me who is running the show and when we can expect to see our athletes on the mat.

I am not trying to cause an argument. Just trying to understand the facts and what is going on. Leonard, sorry if I touched a nerve, Just a fan who wants us to win,
No worries, all good. I want us to win too, but it's clear we need more $ when you compare resident athletes, and others on here have said as much. UPenn brought in Burroughs for next season and already has Hall, McKenna, Lizak, Vallimont and more. I'd be surprised if Kiss and Pollard didn't respond to you. If you're not getting any of the emails anymore, then the database may have an issue or it's going to your spam or other folder. Mine goes to social or promotions folder.

Thanks Leonard. I get want Penn is doing. I just don't know what our athletes are doing. No complains about Kiss or Pollard getting back to me. In past years the SKWC had a Board. Maybe they no longer have a Board and are going in another direction. Your input is helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
Goodale certainly gave the impression that Aragona was fit to participate this weekend. Very tough day for O'Neill. I like the exhibition matches. Any chance that continues post pandemic?

Reactions: dollarbill
Goodale certainly gave the impression that Aragona was fit to participate this weekend. Very tough day for O'Neill. I like the exhibition matches. Any chance that continues post pandemic?
Not sure but agree 100% and it’s good to allow the backups to get some time. Maybe in future you have a cap on them and just exclude Redshirts.

Yes SKWC has a Board but the pandemic has prevented us from meeting. We are trying to raise money for funding resident athletes via membership, Pin Pool, Boom Club,etc

I doubt it, once the open circuit opens back up.

There’s a lot to beef about but mvb isn’t included in that, he’s wrestled tough vs tough competition.
I think grellos at the point of no return. Hate to say it since I’ve followed him since grade school but enough is enough.
O’Neil gets a pass he’s a true freshman wrestling in the toughest conf. Let him take his lumps now and prob next year too and hope it pays off down the road.
surprised jojo was out of action again Would have like to see where he’s at

My 2 cents, Aguilar is killing Rutgers, can’t start every match down 6-0. Keep Turley and Boone in the lineup. Kanniard and Poz looked tough, just gotta put it all together. Alvarez texting on his phone, during the entire Vanbrill Purdue match, wasn’t a good look. You couldn’t not see it.

My 2 cents, Aguilar is killing Rutgers, can’t start every match down 6-0. Keep Turley and Boone in the lineup. Kanniard and Poz looked tough, just gotta put it all together. Alvarez texting on his phone, during the entire Vanbrill Purdue match, wasn’t a good look. You couldn’t not see it.
Yeah I saw that too with Alvarez. That was very concerning. Im going go out on a limb here and probably catch criticism, but I bet you Alvarez won't stay here. Seems like he's just wrestling for himself, and going through the motions. Going forward I couldn't agree more with what everybody else had said. Grello is shot. Heck of a nice kid , but that doesn't win wrestling matches. I think his career is over with. He may realized he's hit a peak and it's pointless to go any further. Like what I saw from McDermott. Wasn't afraid to engage the biggest douche in the entire world. He'll have success against the 10-20 ranked group, and may even pull out a couple against some top 10 talent. I like what I see for Mike Van Brill. He's wrestling a heck of a lot better, and tougher. I do agree he is very one-dimensional. Very similar to Nick Gravina with his slide by. Once future competition is in referee's position they will figure out that Van Brill will go for the Merkel. Against top five competition, VanBrill could possibly have a lead and get turned real quick. Loved what I saw from Jackson Turley. The kid is the clear-cut starter from now on. I think it's fair to say that we've really pounded on Aguilar for last couple weeks. Rightfully so. But I've seen incredible turnarounds before, with the same circumstances. Let's see what happens. Poz looks great. Little freshman mistake against Webster, that the coaches will go over with him. Don't know if he's all American caliber right now, but if the stars are aligned he may place this year. Janzer looks like he's forced into that 197 weight. Looks very sluggish and doesn't have the strength for that weight class. His wrestling is concerning me too. Like maybe he has hit a wall like Grello. Robert Kainniard looked tough yesterday. Definitely has to tweak his stance a little bit, and get a little better position. He's going to be something special though in the near future.

Reactions: njsportsphan
125 is struggling it's obvious and now mentally he needs a break Goodale and staff are feeling what we are seeing and they will act.
133 he wrestles better when he gets match after match will be fine come big 10
141 Same as 133
149 Not sure how people complain about VanBrill that kid goes for it and wrestles his ass off.Anyone bitching about him needs to stop posting.Not every kid is a f**king technician wake up people.
157 For all the posters who say the staff doesnt develop guys take a look.This kid is a goer and wrestles his ass off.
165 Donner is a brawler gonna be a .500 type kid wrestling rutgers schedule but will keep improving because he's tough and that's what tough kids do.
174 Turley is the guy no doubt and will be going forward.Another kid who is improving in the room so regardless of what some think someone in that room knows wrestling.
184 Poz is really good and will keep getting better.In a regular year he would jump multiple levels with the matches.Come March he's gonna be a tough out
197 Janzer needs to get bigger for sure.And most who watch knew he wasn't a very diverse offensive wrestler and thought 197 would translate well.It hasn't happened the way some thought.Hes a underhook guy and is having problems getting to it at 197.He needs to develop another good offensive leg attack away from his hook.Hes a competitior and will figure it out down the road.
HWT Boone looks like he's the guy and will keep getting better.

As a outsider who watches all the duals Rutgers is a solid team who always wrestles hard.You can never come away from a dual and say the guys gave up on the staff.That doesn't happen at Rutgers and it does all over the country.So for all you fans that say we need a new staff better think about what you say.Im not saying I'm a know it all but I know a thing or two.Rutgers wrestling is in the toughest conference in the country and are a top 25 program.Fans need to realize to be a program like Iowa and Penn St you can't just get on the boards and bitch you've to get involved and donate and get people involved.

Last edited:
As a outsider who watches all the duals Rutgers is a solid team who's always wrestles hard.You can never come away from a dual and say the guys gave up on the staff.That doesn't happen at Rutgers and it does all over the country.So for all you fans that say we need a new staff better think about what you say.Im not saying I'm a know it all but I know a thing or two.Rutgers wrestling is in the toughest conference in the country and are a top 25 program.Fans need to realize to be a program like Iowa and Penn St you can't just get on the boards and bitch you've to get involved and donate and get people involved.

THIS. How do you think UPenn and Princeton pay for all those Resident Athletes and those tournaments you speak about? They have Sugar Daddies, like PSU. Or they have well-funded RTCs via a strong, involved fan/alum base who donate. ALL donations matter.

SKWC, like all RTCs, is a non profit charitable organization. Like all RTCs, Rutgers University does not and can not help finance SKWC. So, only SKWC can pay for Resident Athletes. Donations to SKWC is what pays for RAs, among other things to support RU Wrestling, all in compliance with NCAA rules.

Every dollar raised from SKWC membership, pin pool, Boom club, all fundraisers (raffles, golf outings, etc.) is part of the SKWC budget. When you do (or don’t) donate, it has a direct impact on SKWC and its ability to get and retain Resident Athletes; the number of RAs at the various weights; and the tournaments to send them to. Oh, add Covid-19 to the mix where it’s been harder to fundraise in-person. Think golf outing...there was NO golf outing in 2020.

Stay healthy & safe.
Go RU!
Diane

I am trying to understand more about the SKWC. It has been said the SKWC pays the volunteer coach. I looked at other above average wrestling programs (not the blue bloods) to see who they have as volunteer coaches. This is what I found.

Lehigh - Darrien Cruz - National Champ/3 time All American
Indiana - Isaac Jordan - 4 time All American
Purdue - Leroy Vega - 3 time All American
South Dakota State - Chris Dardanes - 3 time All American
Princeton - Nate Jackson - 2 time All American
West Virginia - Cody Waters - 2 time All American
Pittsburgh - Luke Pletcher - 2 time All American
Virginia - Earl Hall 2 time All American
Rutgers - Kyle Kiss - ACC placer - bio doesn't indicate that he ever made the NCAA tourney

If the SKWC is short on money and the resident athletes have seldom competed this year, should we hire a better credentialed volunteer coach? I saw that some volunteer coaches still compete such as Cruz and Jackson,

THIS. How do you think UPenn and Princeton pay for all those Resident Athletes and those tournaments you speak about? They have Sugar Daddies, like PSU. Or they have well-funded RTCs via a strong, involved fan/alum base who donate. ALL donations matter.

SKWC, like all RTCs, is a non profit charitable organization. Like all RTCs, Rutgers University does not and can not help finance SKWC. So, only SKWC can pay for Resident Athletes. Donations to SKWC is what pays for RAs, among other things to support RU Wrestling, all in compliance with NCAA rules.

Every dollar raised from SKWC membership, pin pool, Boom club, all fundraisers (raffles, golf outings, etc.) is part of the SKWC budget. When you do (or don’t) donate, it has a direct impact on SKWC and its ability to get and retain Resident Athletes; the number of RAs at the various weights; and the tournaments to send them to. Oh, add Covid-19 to the mix where it’s been harder to fundraise in-person. Think golf outing...there was NO golf outing in 2020.

Stay healthy & safe.
Go RU!
Diane
Thanks.Just get sick and tired of people in the wrestling community bitching while they do nothing to help.Rutgers staff are great guys who care about the kids they coach and want to make them good men as well as good athletes.Just pisses me off when people who probably have never met them talk shit about them.We as a wrestling community are close knit we should be building each other up not trying to tear each other down

I am trying to understand more about the SKWC. It has been said the SKWC pays the volunteer coach. I looked at other above average wrestling programs (not the blue bloods) to see who they have as volunteer coaches. This is what I found.

Rutgers - Kyle Kiss - ACC placer - bio doesn't indicate that he ever made the NCAA tourney

If the SKWC is short on money and the resident athletes have seldom competed this year, should we hire a better credentialed volunteer coach? I saw that some volunteer coaches still compete such as Cruz and Jackson,
Kiss acts as the recruiting coordinator he has great ties in the NJ community.Fans bitch that NJ best kids leave so they got a NJ guy.Each staff does it differently some volunteers are strictly workout partners some use them to recruit some to do it all.Kiss isnt a issue nor is anyone on the staff.They do a solid job.

Stay healthy & safe.
Go RU!
Diane

Not just sugar daddies but well respected in the wrestling circles. I personally know one of the UPENN guys and his family is very well respected in the wrestling community including supporting the Beat the Streets in Philadelphia. When these guys call a potential athlete they pick up the phone.

Not just sugar daddies but well respected in the wrestling circles. I personally know one of the UPENN guys and his family is very well respected in the wrestling community including supporting the Beat the Streets in Philadelphia. When these guys call a potential athlete they pick up the phone.

Thanks for clarifying that, Jersey! I meant no disrespect or that money was just being thrown at these RTCs. In retrospect, poor choice of words on my part! Many of these “high donors” are special, philanthropic people who are supporting & promoting the sport of wrestling and their beloved University. It is certainly a tight knit community.

Hope you & your son are doing well!
Stay healthy & safe.
Go RU!
Diane

Thanks for clarifying that, Jersey! I meant no disrespect or that money was just being thrown at these RTCs. In retrospect, poor choice of words on my part! Many of these “high donors” are special, philanthropic people who are supporting & promoting the sport of wrestling and their beloved University. It is certainly a tight knit community.

Hope you & your son are doing well!
Stay healthy & safe.
Go RU!
Diane

No need to apologize! Just stressing that these are not just well funded individuals who became fans of the sport and looking to fund the programs, but individuals who also have a significant reputation in the wrestling circles.

My boy is good and working out at his club. He definitely misses those trips to the RAC.

Reactions: Leonard23 and rondi
Didn't we just split wit Minnesota 5-5 bouts?
I will admit, the loss of PU hurts, but with a young squad, it can happen.

I think our team is better than last year
125: Down
133: Equal
141: Greatly Improved
149: Improved
157: Improved - MVB did qualify for NCAA
165: NO change
174: Even or slightly improved (Depending on Turleys progress and/or Grello concussion)
184: Better (Poz!)
197: Slightly Worse when Pagano Wrestled....
285: heavyweight: Equal (Is it me or does Boone seem small or is he just tall)

Is this a top 10 team? Not without one more stud

I will admit, my only exposure to wrestling was my son and then i got hooked on RU the time Goodale took over,
I remember watching the NCAA hoping for an all American (DJ Russo really disappointed me)
The Jump from top20 to top 10 is huge.....the jump from there to top 5 is even larger

I am naturally a pessimist, but most of you make me look like an optimist!

Just look at the last 5 years with the teams you mentioned..Off the top of my head last 5 years

Lehigh has Cruz as a National Champ and a bunch of AA
Indiana hasn't had 1 AA in a long time..No Champs
Purdue maybe has had 2 AA..No Champs
South Dakota State has had 1 National Champ and maybe 3 AA
Princeton has had a couple AA...No Champs
Pitt has had a couple AA...No Champs
West Virginia maybe has 1 AA...No Champs
Virginia has had a couple AA..No Champs
Rutgers has had 2 National Champs and a bunch of AA

Last edited:
Reactions: rondi
Thanks.Just get sick and tired of people in the wrestling community bitching while they do nothing to help.Rutgers staff are great guys who care about the kids they coach and want to make them good men as well as good athletes.Just pisses me off when people who probably have never met them talk shit about them.We as a wrestling community are close knit we should be building each other up not trying to tear each other down
Well said ..easy to sit back in their chairs ripping kids and the coaches while not spending a dime to help out ..most probably never wrestled a day in their lives either ..being a rabid fan is awesome but when it gets personal against some kid that is flat out wrong....they will justify what they say with excuse that this is a forum to do that but some guys are just ridiculous

Reactions: Conway426
RU split 5-5 bouts on BOTH matches, Minnesota AND Purdue. You wouldn’t think so...

Unfortunately, both final scores reflected a 6 point (really a 3 pt. because it would have been a regular decision loss) jump start.

Go RU!
Diane

Looking forward to seeing what Boone can do in a Big10 weight room program. If he could pack on some muscle then he'll def be able to compete for AA.

What took the coaches so long on Turley? To me, it was obvious that he was our best option for 165 last year (even 174).

Donner will never get better. Was pleased to see Clark against Purdue. Would love to keep seeing him if we're going to continue being weak there. Gerrit N. beat Poz at Super 32 at 182 lbs. Clark was a 45 pounder last season. This is where the loss of Hepner, Glasgow come into play.

Griffith hasn't wrestled since the 24th against CSU. Any chance he makes the switch during the season or is that a next season thing? He'd be a legend at RU.

I know he's 133 now, but would love to see Raimo transfer to RU. He's been a back up at ASU and will probably do so next season as well.

Aguilar is a liability at this point. He looks like he needs a mental break. Shawver may take some lumps, but he'll will grow into a tough wrestler. It looks like he wants to win at least. He beat Raguson last year in Folkstyle and beat Robert Howard as well. So he's pretty good.

Regarding Sammy "on his phone" during the match. Are you positive it was him? Because it looked like one of the other guys on the team to me.

RU split 5-5 bouts on BOTH matches, Minnesota AND Purdue. You wouldn’t think so...

Unfortunately, both final scores reflected a 6 point (really a 3 pt. because it would have been a regular decision loss) jump start.

Go RU!
Diane

If the Olympics were cancelled, Suriano would be here and the team would have undoubtedly been on the right side of a 6-4 bout split and would have a 3-1 record. All of the level headed people here can probably agree the team is not far off from where we’d like to be.

I just went back and watched that MVB match and it’s definitely Alvarez on his phone which isn’t a good look but I’m not going to jump to conclusions. He could have a family member in the hospital for all we know. Hopefully Goodale and company are aware of it and are either ok’d it beforehand or address it internally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT