ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling TRI-MEET (Minny, Purdue, Rutgers) MATCH THREAD

Wow, Janzer looked awful in the 3rd and definitely pinned himself but the awful refs missed another one lol

Janzer gives up a takedown, then Joles cuts him immediately. Janzer avoids giving up anymore points, winning 6-4 with the RT point.

Rutgers leads 18-16, with it coming down to Boone McDermott vs Gable Steveson

Well ... put up some fight in the loss ... team is no longer shell-shocked by those first bout pins.

Aguilar has regressed a lot.... how did he go from a top 20 guy to just getting pinned every match..... ?___?

Period finishes with Steveson on top, leading 6-0.

McDermott starting the second period on top

Does anyone else feel like the stalls have been going against us all day? I mean I understand some but in some cases it seems like refs are calling them super quick.

Is it possible for Poz to go to 197 next year and have Janzer go back to 184?
Poz has AA potential at 184, Janzer does not. Keep it the way it is and hope Janzer acclimates to 197. If not, O well another miss in recruiting. We have quite a few of those already what's another one at least have one work out.

maybe the best thing to happen to poz, was that loss
he might have gotten a little complacent against this
opponent....he had him flat, should have ridden him out
he must of thought he could take him down again.
great learning experience ...early in his rookie career

Many people complain about our upper weight coach. A greater problem is the volunteer coach who basically works out with wrestlers. That coach can’t go on the road and recruit. The credentials of our volunteer coach don’t compare to most volunteer coaches in the top programs. I am not in the room but Graf was a national runner-up and multiple All America. Brian Murphy was an All American and beat Rich Lewis. Those guys have much better resumes.

Lex can you compare our volunteer coach’s resume to those at other Big Ten Schools? Does it factor in to a kid’s college choice?

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
I hate the losses, but right now we have to get these guys ready for the conference tournament. I see some good signs, but it is hard to overlook the negatives. We need more effort from a few of the wrestlers. Aguilar is one who I was really looking forward to great things from. I hope they get back to work and get these kinks worked out. I do see hope for the future. It is just a tough time right now, but I think Goodale is looking at some of the individual performances harder than overall meet scores.

Oh, my. Can't see the forest for the trees.
Bullsh*t not every wrestler pans out. It happens everywhere. They just get more of the top kids so those who flame out aren't missed. We're not there. You want to make a difference donate to the SKWC like I do. Then we can get better training partners for our kids. Then the better recruits will come.

You really think anyone in the Nation was going to make Aguilar an AA? Hell even almighty Cael needs the talent, look what he had at 125 the last few years. You seem to like sayings here's one for you, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t".

A stable coaching staff will s usually a good thing. But it can be a double edged sword. We ve had the same assistants for years. Sometimes you need new blood at the assistant coaching spots. I think this off-season is the time. Not Donny of course. He’s one you keep forever. Turley looks awesome and is at the correct weight. There’s no way you can justify grello over him right now till grello decides to get aggressive and score points. Same at 125, 165, and hwt. If the starter is just gonna go out and pull out a 2 point win against lesser competition and then curl up in a ball against good wrestlers then they need to get benched.
Janzer is capable of being a multiple AA. He’s also capable of being stuck as just a NQ for 4 seasons. He has to be pushed and leaned on till he opens up some offense. Especiallynow early in his career. It might cost him some matches early next on but it will payoff.

Just give me the youth movement from here on out. Give me Shawver, Kanniard, Clark, Turley, Poz, McDermott. Let them take some lumps. Much more upside with them. The one questionable Senior who I feel is wrestling well and has gotten some bad luck is MVB. Even there I wouldn’t mind Angelo
I wouldn't call it bad luck. MVB isn't offensive enough on his feet and has an extremely unorthodox offense relying on a merkle.

IMO it is all about who you recruit. We have missed out on some real hammers and they are kicking butt at other schools. We have also brought in one or two "hammers" that have not lived up to their rankings. Not sure is that because of coaching but I doubt it. One thing that is obvious, RU has missed big time on having 2 NC'c and one of the best home atmospheres in the country and building on that. We saw last year less attendance and I hate to admit it , if we keep losing dual meets to to the lower end B1G schools we will see less and less crowds out at our matches.
Princeton has passed us during this time also. I hate say it but if Princeton now offers a kid a place to wrestle for them and to get a PU degree after wrestling , who cares about crowd size.

We heard the excuses last year but it is getting a little louder.
What excuses? I too am confused how we can't capitalize more on 2 national champs, top 10 finish, and 1 of the top practice facilities and match atmospheres/attendance, but it's more of an uphill battle against those HS and club coaches than you realize.
Poz has AA potential at 184, Janzer does not. Keep it the way it is and hope Janzer acclimates to 197. If not, O well another miss in recruiting. We have quite a few of those already what's another one at least have one work out.
I wouldn't say we missed as I questioned his O in HS and was ripped on here. Still waiting for those apologies 😂, but really, I just hope he develops more O without the underhook, and looks to score more often, but it's not easy to change kids styles.
Many people complain about our upper weight coach. A greater problem is the volunteer coach who basically works out with wrestlers. That coach can’t go on the road and recruit. The credentials of our volunteer coach don’t compare to most volunteer coaches in the top programs. I am not in the room but Graf was a national runner-up and multiple All America. Brian Murphy was an All American and beat Rich Lewis. Those guys have much better resumes.

Lex can you compare our volunteer coach’s resume to those at other Big Ten Schools? Does it factor in to a kid’s college choice?
Who? Why not just name names. Are you questioning Kiss or Pollard? Pollard is a rockstar and highly underrated. He runs better practices and workouts than many HCs. His technique and mindset are top notch. Have you been to a Rutgers or SKWC practice?
A stable coaching staff will s usually a good thing. But it can be a double edged sword. We ve had the same assistants for years. Sometimes you need new blood at the assistant coaching spots. I think this off-season is the time. Not Donny of course. He’s one you keep forever. Turley looks awesome and is at the correct weight. There’s no way you can justify grello over him right now till grello decides to get aggressive and score points. Same at 125, 165, and hwt. If the starter is just gonna go out and pull out a 2 point win against lesser competition and then curl up in a ball against good wrestlers then they need to get benched.
Janzer is capable of being a multiple AA. He’s also capable of being stuck as just a NQ for 4 seasons. He has to be pushed and leaned on till he opens up some offense. Especiallynow early in his career. It might cost him some matches early next on but it will payoff.
Stop. People have such unrealistic expectations. Janzer has had the same one dimensional underhook O and lack of scoring for all of HS against better competition and his 3 years here, yet you think someone will change that and magically make him better?

I wouldn't call it bad luck. MVB isn't offensive enough on his feet and has an extremely unorthodox offense relying on a merkle.

What excuses? I too am confused how we can't capitalize more on 2 national champs, top 10 finish, and 1 of the top practice facilities and match atmospheres/attendance, but it's more of an uphill battle against those HS and club coaches than you realize.
I wouldn't say we missed as I questioned his O in HS and was ripped on here. Still waiting for those apologies 😂, but really, I just hope he develops more O without the underhook, and looks to score more often, but it's not easy to change kids styles.

Who? Why not just name names. Are you questioning Kiss or Pollard? Pollard is a rockstar and highly underrated. He runs better practices and workouts than many HCs. His technique and mindset are top notch. Have you been to a Rutgers or SKWC practice?

Stop. People have such unrealistic expectations. Janzer has had the same one dimensional underhook O and lack of scoring for all of HS against better competition and his 3 years here, yet you think someone will change that and magically make him better?
I’d argue he lost 2 matches where he was clearly the agressor in Michigan and Purdue and actually won the one he wasn’t except early on in Minnesota. JMO.

Imagine if we had suriano at 125. Hopefully he shows up late in the season so we have a good showing at nationals.

Yes. Yes I do think someone can make him better. He’s a coachable kid who has the strength and attitude to become much better then we are seeing.

I don't have the time to run through all 11 pages for today's match, but would anyone care to argue NOW that Turley doesnt belong on the mat? He is a talented wrestler and should have started from match #1 this year. There is no way Grello comes even close to what Turley did today.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I’d argue he lost 2 matches where he was clearly the agressor in Michigan and Purdue and actually won the one he wasn’t except early on in Minnesota. JMO.
Just being the aggressor isn't enough. His O technique has a very low percentage of success because it's not a good attack. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone else rely solely on a merkle. He needs more higher percentage attacks and technique.

Yes. Yes I do think someone can make him better. He’s a coachable kid who has the strength and attitude to become much better then we are seeing.
Have you coached? Being coachable is great but that doesn't mean he's going to change what he's done for the past 7+ years. Rarely do you see the change you're looking for. Mindset is even harder. Have you been to practices or spoken with the coaches? They preach attack, score, aggressiveness. You rarely can change someone that hasn't had that mentality or wrestled that way.

I hate the losses, but right now we have to get these guys ready for the conference tournament. I see some good signs, but it is hard to overlook the negatives. We need more effort from a few of the wrestlers. Aguilar is one who I was really looking forward to great things from. I hope they get back to work and get these kinks worked out. I do see hope for the future. It is just a tough time right now, but I think Goodale is looking at some of the individual performances harder than overall meet scores.
Just wondering if there is sufficient competition in the room. Your only as good as your practice partner.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
I don't have the time to run through all 11 pages for today's match, but would anyone care to argue NOW that Turley doesnt belong on the mat? He is a talented wrestler and should have started from match #1 this year. There is no way Grello comes even close to what Turley did today.

Turley I second that as he deserves the start moving forward based on his performance.

Today's matches left me with concerning questions- the last one for WNG

What resident athletes do we have in the room helping to develop our guys
The Princeton NJRTC resident athletes are competing all over - are our guys competing
What does Kiss do as a volunteer coach - he lacks wrestling credentials - what wrestlers does he work with - is he the best volunteer coach we could get
Posters say Leonardis is not a good heavyweight coach, if he leaves, who do we want as a heavyweight coach
WNG - what is happening with the SKWC? When Paich was there I got newsletters and updates. Is Bugen still on the Board? Who is in charge

Something just doesn't feel right

Extra match results:

174: Sam Skillings (MINN) injury default (2:49) over Joseph Grello (RU)
165: Baylor Fernandes (MINN) fall (0:49) over Connor O'Neill (RU)
125: Dylan Shawver (RU) fall (4:30) over Kooper Loehr (PUR)
133: Shane Metzler (RU) 11-4 dec. over Nathan Cummings (PUR)
141: Zach Firestone (RU) 8-1 dec. over Michael Leveille (PUR)
157: Jake Benner (RU) 8-6 dec. over Cooper Noehre (PUR)
165: Hayden Lohrey (PUR) 14-6 MD over Connor O'Neill (RU)
197: Kyle Epperly (RU) 3-1 SV1 over Holtmacher (Purdue)
HWT: Alex Esposito (RU) 6-0 dec. over Dorian Keys (PUR)
133: Jacob Rundell (PUR) 9-1 MD over Devon Britton (RU)
133: Jake Gliva (MINN) 12-3 MD over Malcolm Robinson (RU)
141: Brent Jones (MINN) injury default (4:28) over Zach Firestone (RU)
149: Jake Bergeland (MINN) 5-1 dec. over Gerard Angelo (RU)
157: Cael Carlson (MINN) 13-0 MD over Cody Harrison (RU)
165: Bailee O'Reilly (MINN) 19-3 TF over Connor O'Neill (RU)
197: Rowan Morgan (MINN) 7-3 dec. over Kyle Epperly (RU)
HWT: Keaton Kluever (MINN) 9-6 dec. over Alex Esposito (RU)

Very concerning results from Connor O'Neill thus far. He went 0-3 and literally none of his matches were even respectable today (Fall,MD, TF). He is now 0-4 on the year so I'm guessing he won't be making any sort of impact in the immediately future... the black hole that is 165 keeps getting larger unfortunately.

Shawver continues to impress, hopefully he gets a shot next weekend

Reactions: njsportsphan
I’m no expert here, but has programmed peaked? Maybe just too much youth that has to still develop? Lots of hoopla over last couple of years, but does not look as gritty a team as years past.

I think we are at a crossroads. Either develop the young guys Shawver, Alvarez, Angelo, Kanniard, Clark, ONeill, Turley, Poz, Janzer or get a couple of transfers. I think the program needs some changes and I don’t mean the HC or Pritzlaff. We have to get better training partners for starters. I think the staff could use a few changes. Recruiting needs to get better. We still are not getting the blue chips and if we have why haven’t they panned out?

Why no Aragona again today????

I agree with poster above I think something is up.

If it were me at this point I’d get the young guys as much experience as possible the next few weeks. Wins and losses really don’t matter at this point.
My next year lineup assuming all falls in place:
Shawver, Alvarez, Rivera, Aragona, Kanniard, Clark (go all out for Griffith!!!!), Turley, Poz,,Janzer, McDermott. I don’t think we ever see Suriano again and think we have to go on thinking he’s out of the mix moving forward.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT