ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling TRI-MEET (Minny, Purdue, Rutgers) MATCH THREAD

I just went back and watched that MVB match and it’s definitely Alvarez on his phone which isn’t a good look but I’m not going to jump to conclusions. He could have a family member in the hospital for all we know. Hopefully Goodale and company are aware of it and are either ok’d it beforehand or address it internally.

TBH I don't think kids on their phones is such a big deal anymore or maybe I'm just completely desensitized to it. Kids of that generation are literally always on their phone, so it's just second nature and I wouldn't read too much into that occurrence. Also, this wouldn't be the first time one our guys was on IG or Twitter from the bench. It wasn't like he was on his phone before his match and not getting warmed up or preparing properly, he was done for the day and was more than likely catching up on things.

Now, would I prefer that phones stay in the locker room and everyone is out there giving their teammates 100% of their attention, absolutely but it's not realistic anymore unfortunately.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what Boone can do in a Big10 weight room program. If he could pack on some muscle then he'll def be able to compete for AA.

What took the coaches so long on Turley? To me, it was obvious that he was our best option for 165 last year (even 174).

Donner will never get better. Was pleased to see Clark against Purdue. Would love to keep seeing him if we're going to continue being weak there. Gerrit N. beat Poz at Super 32 at 182 lbs. Clark was a 45 pounder last season. This is where the loss of Hepner, Glasgow come into play.

Griffith hasn't wrestled since the 24th against CSU. Any chance he makes the switch during the season or is that a next season thing? He'd be a legend at RU.

I know he's 133 now, but would love to see Raimo transfer to RU. He's been a back up at ASU and will probably do so next season as well.

Aguilar is a liability at this point. He looks like he needs a mental break. Shawver may take some lumps, but he'll will grow into a tough wrestler. It looks like he wants to win at least. He beat Raguson last year in Folkstyle and beat Robert Howard as well. So he's pretty good.

Regarding Sammy "on his phone" during the match. Are you positive it was him? Because it looked like one of the other guys on the team to me.
- I’d hold off on expecting Boone to compete for AA until he beats some top 15 guys..

- I’m wondering the same thing what took the coaches so long on Turley... he just TF a top 20 ranked kid.. he needs to stay in the starting lineup.

- Clark looked better then I thought and has higher upside.. good thing bout Donner though is he doesn’t get pinned much.

- If Griffith really did transfer here then that would put us in another tier.. we would now win those 5-5 splits.

- I don’t think Raimo would be able to crack the lineup here unless he drops to 125 until Suriano comes back.

- Shawver needs to get in the lineup... can’t do much worst then getting pinned in 3/4 matches..

TBH I don't think kids on their phones is such a big deal anymore or maybe I'm just completely desensitized to it. Kids of that generation are literally always on their phone, so it's just second nature and I wouldn't read too much into that occurrence. Also, this wouldn't be the first time one our guys was on IG or Twitter from the bench. It wasn't like he was on his phone before his match and not getting warmed up or preparing properly, he was done for the day and was more than likely catching up on things.

Now, would I prefer that phones stay in the locker room and everyone is out there giving their teammates 100% of their attention, absolutely but it's not realistic anymore unfortunately.
It’s become more commonplace now I guess but every middle and high school coach I know has some kind of phone rules in place where if a kid is on their phone during a game/match, there are penalties. It’s just a bad look, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: CERU00
It’s become more commonplace now I guess but every middle and high school coach I know has some kind of phone rules in place where if a kid is on their phone during a game/match, there are penalties. It’s just a bad look, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
I agree, Scott needs to tighten up the reigns here a little bit. It's a two hour match, if that, then you had a short break in between each match to text or call loved ones. Not unreasonable to ask to give up less than two hours of your life on the phone. Big deal, no, but little things add up to big things.

Yeah I saw that too with Alvarez. That was very concerning. Im going go out on a limb here and probably catch criticism, but I bet you Alvarez won't stay here. Seems like he's just wrestling for himself, and going through the motions. Going forward I couldn't agree more with what everybody else had said. Grello is shot. Heck of a nice kid , but that doesn't win wrestling matches. I think his career is over with. He may realized he's hit a peak and it's pointless to go any further. Like what I saw from McDermott. Wasn't afraid to engage the biggest douche in the entire world. He'll have success against the 10-20 ranked group, and may even pull out a couple against some top 10 talent. I like what I see for Mike Van Brill. He's wrestling a heck of a lot better, and tougher. I do agree he is very one-dimensional. Very similar to Nick Gravina with his slide by. Once future competition is in referee's position they will figure out that Van Brill will go for the Merkel. Against top five competition, VanBrill could possibly have a lead and get turned real quick. Loved what I saw from Jackson Turley. The kid is the clear-cut starter from now on. I think it's fair to say that we've really pounded on Aguilar for last couple weeks. Rightfully so. But I've seen incredible turnarounds before, with the same circumstances. Let's see what happens. Poz looks great. Little freshman mistake against Webster, that the coaches will go over with him. Don't know if he's all American caliber right now, but if the stars are aligned he may place this year. Janzer looks like he's forced into that 197 weight. Looks very sluggish and doesn't have the strength for that weight class. His wrestling is concerning me too. Like maybe he has hit a wall like Grello. Robert Kainniard looked tough yesterday. Definitely has to tweak his stance a little bit, and get a little better position. He's going to be something special though in the near future.
When do you want to meet and BET Alvarez Never leaves RU? You put that out there but You would never back that up

Agreed Harley. With my wife’s illness, my only reprieve for a few hours of enjoyment is RU athletics which consisted of men’s and women’s basketball and RU wrestling. All gone now. Sucks.

When do you want to meet and BET Alvarez Never leaves RU? You put that out there but You would never back that up
I think I clearly stated it was just my opinion. And as predicted, I would receive some criticism. the same criticism that cooperman wasn't going to leave, that campolotanno would never come here, that suriano would never leave Penn State, and Glasgow looks injured, when I said old long he was burnt and we never stay on our team. Your assessments of situations are as credible as mine. We don't know what these athletes are thinking. But I don't have a good feeling about Alvarez staying here. Just my opinion I could be 100% wrong. Also I don't make bets. That's are for losers and children.​

I think I clearly stated it was just my opinion. And as predicted, I would receive some criticism. the same criticism that cooperman wasn't going to leave, that campolotanno would never come here, that suriano would never leave Penn State, and Glasgow looks injured, when I said old long he was burnt and we never stay on our team. Your assessments of situations are as credible as mine. We don't know what these athletes are thinking. But I don't have a good feeling about Alvarez staying here. Just my opinion I could be 100% wrong. Also I don't make bets. That's are for losers and children.​

You’re a sophomore at Rutgers right? Crazy how a sophomore has been loyal to Rutgers for 30 years when most sophomores are only around 20 years old.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/2019-wrestling-news.159622/post-3805448

Also, crazy how you used 4 years of eligibility on the wrestling team, something Creedo also claimed to have done, yet are still a sophomore. And a sexist one at that.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/aj-ferrari-using-ov-to-ru-next-weekend.168356/post-3881015

Maybe there’s a reason no one is taking you seriously

You’re a sophomore at Rutgers right? Crazy how a sophomore has been loyal to Rutgers for 30 years when most sophomores are only around 20 years old.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/2019-wrestling-news.159622/post-3805448

Also, crazy how you used 4 years of eligibility on the wrestling team, something Creedo also claimed to have done, yet are still a sophomore. And a sexist one at that.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/aj-ferrari-using-ov-to-ru-next-weekend.168356/post-3881015

RUBonkers mustve been taken.Some people just can't help it

Didn’t RUGrappler89 predict cooperman was leaving? Or was that Creedo?

As for Sammy, he’s clearly looked frustrated on the mat recently. His facial expressions haven’t been the best. I won’t jump to conclusions myself.

Yeah, you just outed yourself there buddy

That's great detective work! You do realize he could be a 50 year old sophomore, right? Maybe this movie was made about him 10ish years ago: 40 Year Old Virgin.

Oh well, onto the next screen name and IP address for Crackers.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
These were your words
Yeah I saw that too with Alvarez. That was very concerning. Im going go out on a limb here and probably catch criticism, but I bet you Alvarez won't stay here

I said

Were did I criticize you?

Also you brag about Cooperman leaving info and your a sophomore in College?...That was over 10 years ago so your saying you were on this board and making that prediction as a 10/11 year old?..You also posted you wrestled for RU for 4 years and have been a fan for 30 years..Enough already!

Time for you to make another name as a poster...Your a Clown!

RIP ..Crackers!

Good Bye!

Last edited:
Thanks LetsgoRuWrestling. She has Alzheimer’s since 2007 so it has been a slow tortuous decent for my bride I married 55 years ago. She is now 100% wheelchair bound and I have a 24/7 live in aide because it is a 2 man job caring for her. She is still here with me and will be until one of us croaks. Missing these RU events and interacting with the wonderful kids and coaches is something I never thought would happen. Anyone on here that has dealt with a relative with this horrible disease knows it stinks. Now let’s go get a few wins in this quad!

Thanks LetsgoRuWrestling. She has Alzheimer’s since 2007 so it has been a slow tortuous decent for my bride I married 55 years ago. She is now 100% wheelchair bound and I have a 24/7 live in aide because it is a 2 man job caring for her. She is still here with me and will be until one of us croaks. Missing these RU events and interacting with the wonderful kids and coaches is something I never thought would happen. Anyone on here that has dealt with a relative with this horrible disease knows it stinks. Now let’s go get a few wins in this quad!

This is a reminder for all of us.
Love like there is no tomorrow.
Wishing you and your family the best.

Way to go Watson. I always new Sherlock Holmes had nothing on you. Some damn fine detective work, well done old chap

Thanks Bobby. You when you are a younger married couple you never think your spouse of getting dementia/Alzheimer’s. You think maybe a heart attack or cancer but not this. In the years to come it will only be more prevalent.

WNG very sorry to hear about your wife's demise. I am watching my mom head into the darkness due to dementia and have some sense of what you are dealing with although she is not living with me. Honestly I am not sure I could do it for as along as you have. We just went to a 24/7 care model and things are only going to get worse. Just a terrible disease.

You should take comfort in all you have done for your wife and I am sure she appreciates it even if she can't always express it. The amount of patience and compassion required in such situations is a challenge for anyone. You need to try your best to take care of yourself so you can continue to care for her.

Yeah I’m kinda confused why he keeps lying about who he is lol

I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but what happened with Kyle Lightner? He was a pretty dominant high school wrestler prior to his season ending injury his senior year.

He looked alright in a few matches at the tourney in NY last year. Did he quit?

He was only a redshirt freshman. It would have been interesting to see how he developed.

I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but what happened with Kyle Lightner? He was a pretty dominant high school wrestler prior to his season ending injury his senior year.

He looked alright in a few matches at the tourney in NY last year. Did he quit?

He was only a redshirt freshman. It would have been interesting to see how he developed.
I think I mentioned a short time back that he and Damerjian (sp) disappeared from the roster. There never seems to be any sort of announcement when such things happen.

I think I mentioned a short time back that he and Damerjian (sp) disappeared from the roster. There never seems to be any sort of announcement when such things happen.

I forgot about Damerjian. He looked to have the frame of a good college wrestler. 220 HS is a tough weight though. The gap to 197 is big and being undersized for heavy is likely.

Was looking at the roster and (with all due respect) we're sort of stacked with the "room-type" of guys from 125-141. Same with heavyweight now.

Not that I think Lightner could be Janzer, I'd be interested to see what that looked like in the room. Was it competitive? Did he get burned out?

One thing I liked about 197 last year was that there was some competition!

Last edited:
Eckloff disappeared as well. I’m guessing Damerjian took a gap year, and Eckloff and Lightner were “cut” or left the program on their own. Neither guy was ever going to see the mat and the program needed to get under the roster limit.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Eckloff disappeared as well. I’m guessing Damerjian took a gap year, and Eckloff and Lightner were “cut” or left the program on their own. Neither guy was ever going to see the mat and the program needed to get under the roster limit.
Damerjian did not take a gap year, he was on the RU wrestling roster and practicing(so he was enrolled in school). Then when I checked RU roster again(forget what month) he was no longer listed. D1 College wrestling not for everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT