ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble for Maryland football

You know, I've spent a full 24 hours trying to ignore this post and I just can't. In the future, please refrain from making value judgments and assumptions of fact regarding situations of which you are completely ignorant. It's clear the only things you think you know about Mike Rice come from ESPN and the papers. IF you knew any of his players or their parents who went to those open practices and watched them from beginning to end, and spoke with any of them from time to time, you wouldn't be saying the things you're saying now.
Stick to your weather charts and graphs. You're on solid ground there.
Yes the ESPN videos took the worst moments from a years worth of videos and compiled it to.. what? a 60 second clip?

Mike Rice wasn't risking anyone's bodily functions.. just their pride (and worst case, mental health). He wasn't throwing at that kids head... as has been claimed.. he was 3 foot away.. he could have hit the head if he wanted to... and there would have been more instances of throwing at the head of players if that was what he wanted to do.

Mike Rice was just a product of that old boot camp culture.. handed down from coach to coach to coach since the bulk of American men actually went to boot camp and war. And maybe Durkin is as well.. but Durkin's staff failed to protect their players... and I would suggest negligently... carelessly... that crap about the food hazings.. that's straight outta Full Metal Jacket. We know what happened to that Drill Sergeant.

But Mike Rice deserves another chance.. imho.

Reactions: Knightmoves
You know, I've spent a full 24 hours trying to ignore this post and I just can't. In the future, please refrain from making value judgments and assumptions of fact regarding situations of which you are completely ignorant. It's clear the only things you think you know about Mike Rice come from ESPN and the papers. IF you knew any of his players or their parents who went to those open practices and watched them from beginning to end, and spoke with any of them from time to time, you wouldn't be saying the things you're saying now.
Stick to your weather charts and graphs. You're on solid ground there.

Sorry, chief - you have no idea what I know and don't know about RU programs, including hoops. I've always had excellent sources in the AD and posted about Rice getting in hot water for his mistreatment of players months before any video came out (as did others - it was no secret). You do realize Biruta left because of the abuse, don't you? And yes, some players said they weren't offended, but others were and also transferred. I'll take Biruta's words about Rice's abuse over your commentary any day.

Biruta, who was born in Lithuania but played high school basketball in New Jersey, described his treatment.

"He would throw his cap at me and he would call me many names," he said of Rice. "The adjectives were creative. They were mean words."

Biruta said Rice's insults were often not about his game but about him personally. "If you're going to criticize me as a basketball player, I'm OK with that," he said, "but he would criticize me as a person."

On a 30-minute video Murdock said he showed Pernetti and other Rutgers officials in December, Rice is seen hurling a ball from point-blank range just passed Biruta's head, shoving him and repeatedly swearing at him. At another point, Rice hurls a ball that strikes Biruta's knee. He appears momentarily hurt and has to sit out a play.

"The one thing I hated," Murdock said of Rice, "he would always talk about 'Lithuanian this, Lithuanian that,' talk about where he's from, 'soft-ass Lithuanian b----,' 'soft-ass Lithuanian p----.' His nickname was basically 'Lithuanian f----t.'"

Biruta said the main reason he left Rutgers was because of Rice's treatment. "Mostly it was because of the way he was leading the team," he said. "I didn't think that was a way to lead."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...h-mike-rice-berated-pushed-used-slurs-players

Eight players supporting him. Whoopee.
If the reports about May 29 are true, Durkin and your dickheaded conditioning guy basically killed Jordan McNair and they should go to prison.
But lets not let the facts get in the way or anything. Will Muschamp--that's rich.
https://deadspin.com/asshole-will-muschamp-blames-alarming-maryland-football-1828277511
Here is South Carolina head football coach Will Muschamp—a meathead sack of shit—commenting on reports that the Maryland football program run by D.J. Durkin was toxic and subjected players to intimidation, humiliation, and extreme physical exhaustion, factors that may have contributed to the death of sophomore Jordan McNair
"Eight players supporting ... Whoopee." That is five or six more than what ESPN provides.
"If the reports are true ... But lets not let the facts get in the way ..." Nice segue you did there to make reports look like facts.
I know very little about Muschamp (or USCe) but did you possibly go into character assassination mode?
Since you seem to be on top of the facts who goes to prison? President Loh? AD Evans? Durkin? Court? Robinson? Nordwall? Somebody else?

Schiano going to MD would be bad for us for sure.

i think "relax" is the correct response........

let me assure you that any brand-new AD who has to fire his FB HC due to "scandal" ain't even gonna sniff Gary after the Tenn. episode.......

Reactions: Local Shill
So did AU probably in an AC environment as well. UMD did 10 reps outside whereas AU and UT did 15-16 reps. I don't know which is more demanding.
http://www.stack.com/a/prepping-for-the-110-yard-conditioning-test
Since you do the sprints at the end of practice, I am gonna go out on a limb and assume in heat and humidity the guys all lost a lot of fluids... especially the big guys.. especially the ones who might have been a bit too heavy.. who were tortured over their relationship with food. Soo.. I would suggest outside in heat and humidity is worse.. even for 10 reps.

Since you do the sprints at the end of practice, I am gonna go out on a limb and assume in heat and humidity the guys all lost a lot of fluids... especially the big guys.. especially the ones who might have been a bit too heavy.. who were tortured over their relationship with food. Soo.. I would suggest outside in heat and humidity is worse.. even for 10 reps.

If I remember correctly, the Graber team in the mid-90s ran twenty 100 yard sprints at the end of every winter practice. These were ran in the Bubble and it was usually 30-40 degrees out. And people collapsed all the time. Nobody screamed at or yelled at them when they collapsed; or forced them to run more ... but we did run right over the top of them and generally they got left there until they got up under their own power.

Last edited:
I said yesterday Canada would be the interim. I’m saying today Schiano is their next full time coach.
Ohio St had their chance.
UM is dealing with a huge issue right now and you want them to hire a cosch that would bring Penn St baggage. Never going to happen

UM is dealing with a huge issue right now and you want them to hire a cosch that would bring Penn St baggage. Never going to happen

There is no baggage. The Tenn rubes made it up because they wanted somebody else. If he really had ‘baggage ‘ why is he the DC for Ohio St?

NBCU Crisis swat team was flown in the morning. Immediately discovered just one death, went for crab cakes for lunch. Headding to airport, until MD steps into bigly football involving boosters, payoffs, rape, murder, to leave 'em out of this piddly nonsense.

Hey, when I reached in the drawer for a fresh t-shirt, my "Rutgers Football" one came out. Coincidence?

I'm gonna' say one last thing (maybe). If these reports are true about how coaches, especially that a-hole strength coach, are treating players, I would like to see the entire football staff out the door. Besides being counter-productive in the long-term, it's no way to treat human beings...

Last edited:
I'm gonna' say one last thing (maybe). If these reports are true about how coaches, especially that a-hole strength coach, are treating players, I would like to see the entire football staff out the door. Besides being counter-productive in the long-term, it's no way to treat human beings...
If they turn out to not be true, the events on May 29 that led to Jordan McNair's death are going to give a lot of kids and parents pause about coming to play for the current coaching staff. Durkin and his staff have stain on them, and it is not the kind of stain they want to have.

Reactions: dconifer
Yeah, I think I might tend to agree with you here, but...how do you feel about a drill sargeant treating the enlisted like that during boot camp? The two are not the same, but I’m conflicted there. They too are human beings, but during war, humans become inhumane and they need to be ready for that.

Jafar Williams must be thrilled he made the move to return to his alma mater. I wonder if he was one of the ones placed on administrative leave.

Wow! You take the (IMO) correct wait-and-see approach with "If these reports are true ..." and then convict the strength coach of being an "a-hole" all in one sentence.

I can't wait to hear "I'm Boomer Esiason" shill for his alma mater tomorrow morning. He'll break out all the old stories of no-water practices.

Wow! You take the (IMO) correct wait-and-see approach with "If these reports are true ..." and then convict the strength coach of being an "a-hole" all in one sentence.

That's a fair point, DBA. I withdraw the "a-hole" comment. I don't know the guy, and I do know two former players who don't feel that way at all about him.

Reactions: dbaguy
Whole lot of outrage based on assumptions derived from the reporting here. I read everything posted in this thread about the situation and have come away thinking I really have no clue what's been going on in MD, good or bad.

I guess I don't understand how people are forming such firm conclusions based on these media reports. I'm holding off on forming any conclusions about any of it.

Only opinion I have, until more investigation has taken place, is that it monumentally sucks that this kid died and I feel really bad for his parents, family, friends and teammates.

Last edited:

Ruh-oh:
"At most Maryland football practices and workouts, there are video cameras stationed atop a pair of scissor lifts, recording all the action from high above the field. People close to the program say the ever-present cameras could not only reveal the exact role and actions of Durkin and his staff, they could provide valuable insight into whether reports about the program’s abusive, callous culture are overblown or whether the staff’s demanding ethos possibly contributed to McNair’s death."

Reactions: thegock
Whole lot of outrage based on assumptions derived from the reporting here. I read everything posted in this thread about the situation and have come away thinking I really have no clue what's been going on in MD, good or bad.

I guess I don't understand how people are forming such firm conclusions based on these media reports. I'm holding off on forming any conclusions about any of it.

Only opinion I have, until more investigation has taken place, is that it monumentally sucks that this kid died and I feel really bad for his parents, family, friends and teammates.
Remember when Khaseem Greene was charged with possession of a gun, and those charges were ultimately dropped? The peanut gallery here had him convicted and going to jail.

I am admittedly part of the peanut gallery on this one, mainly due to the timeline on May 29 when Jordan McNair fell ill during the conditioning drills. And on the toxic culture, it seems every one of the several sources have to be lying or making stuff up.

The bigger problem for Durkin and Maryland now is that should Durkin be cleared, fair or not, there is going to be a bad stain on the program going forward, and it will be very difficult for Durkin to recruit. Look at their current recruiting class--just guessing, but probably it is last in the B1G because of the Jordan McNair incident.

Look at how Greg Schiano got blackballed at UT for something that may or may not have happened 20 years ago. Would be shocked if Durkin kept his job--the only thing that may save him is if the video evidence mentioned in the story above disproves the allegations.

Reactions: Block R
blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda, look at me, look at me.
You know, I really, really didn't want to respond to your post because I just knew this is what you would do. You've gone and doubled down. See, the thing is, what bothers me isn't really so much that what you're saying (the "toxic culture") is completely untrue. No, you proved me right with your response about your nebulous "sources" and quoting E-Spin. You can spin all you want, quote a disgruntled Gilvydas, and it still doesn't make what you say true. I directly know it's not, and that's enough for me.

No, what really bothers me is the fact that it's very clear that it's far more important for you to be right on a message board than it is for you to take a moment to review your post before you hit that red button and ask yourself, "Is this good for the program? Am I helping Rutgers athletics or hurting it?"

I won't respond to this again, it serves no good purpose. One suggestion, though.

094.jpg

George O'Leary ran a player to death in 2008 at UCF. The training staff assisted Ereck Plancher when he collapsed & died, and the school was still found culpable in court. However, Plancher was known to have sickle cell trait, so the school kept ole George on staff for a few more years. UCF even built a statue to the man.

As much as I hate to say it, if Maryland wants to paper over this and let that smiling turd skate, they will.

George O'Leary ran a player to death in 2008 at UCF. The training staff assisted Ereck Plancher when he collapsed & died, and the school was still found culpable in court. However, Plancher was known to have sickle cell trait, so the school kept ole George on staff for a few more years. UCF even built a statue to the man.

As much as I hate to say it, if Maryland wants to paper over this and let that smiling turd skate, they will.

Not the same thing at all. I mean re-read this:

But multiple sources present at the workout told ESPN that McNair experienced physical problems toward the end of the workout and needed two teammates to help him complete the 10th sprint. Sources said after the 10th sprint that Robinson yelled, "Drag his ass across the field!"

Remember when Khaseem Greene was charged with possession of a gun, and those charges were ultimately dropped? The peanut gallery here had him convicted and going to jail.

I am admittedly part of the peanut gallery on this one, mainly due to the timeline on May 29 when Jordan McNair fell ill during the conditioning drills. And on the toxic culture, it seems every one of the several sources have to be lying or making stuff up.

The bigger problem for Durkin and Maryland now is that should Durkin be cleared, fair or not, there is going to be a bad stain on the program going forward, and it will be very difficult for Durkin to recruit. Look at their current recruiting class--just guessing, but probably it is last in the B1G because of the Jordan McNair incident.

Look at how Greg Schiano got blackballed at UT for something that may or may not have happened 20 years ago. Would be shocked if Durkin kept his job--the only thing that may save him is if the video evidence mentioned in the story above disproves the allegations.
I do remember what happened with Greene and it's a good case in point.

I worry, sometimes, about our society's seemingly endless appetite for scandal. Reality TV and the 24/7 media cycle seems to have taken the long-time, distasteful human tendency for rumor mongering and judgmental thought and turned it up to 11. I'm not a fan of the trend, I guess.

Not the same thing at all. I mean re-read this:

But multiple sources present at the workout told ESPN that McNair experienced physical problems toward the end of the workout and needed two teammates to help him complete the 10th sprint. Sources said after the 10th sprint that Robinson yelled, "Drag his ass across the field!"
Yes, I know. What I want to happen and what you want to happen may differ from what Maryland administration and boosters want though..."Such a shame, all the practice videos from that day were lost in the heavy rains that followed. And those sources were unreliable, disgruntled persons, many of whom are no longer affiliated with the University, who were misinformed about what they thought they heard. We have implemented an entirely new training department and implemented new process improvements...Canada will remain as Head Coach this year, with Coach Durkin returning in the offseason...now is the time to come together as a family and heal as Terrapins..."

Yes, I know. What I want to happen and what you want to happen may differ from what Maryland administration and boosters want though..."Such a shame, all the practice videos from that day were lost in the heavy rains that followed. And those sources were unreliable, disgruntled persons, many of whom are no longer affiliated with the University, who were misinformed about what they thought they heard. We have implemented an entirely new training department and implemented new process improvements...Canada will remain as Head Coach this year, with Coach Durkin returning in the offseason...now is the time to come together as a family and heal as Terrapins..."

I have read several articles linked to various posts here but have not seen that quote before. Could you indicate from whom the quote came. Also, what a wonderful coincidence for them that the video of that day happened to be lost. Just sayin...

I have read several articles linked to various posts here but have not seen that quote before. Could you indicate from whom the quote came. Also, what a wonderful coincidence for them that the video of that day happened to be lost. Just sayin...

he made it up

It also was the first time O'Leary was accused of abusing players. From the link:

"ATLANTA-Georgia Tech had just finished a routine football practice when coach George O'Leary decided to teach a hard lesson to a second-string offensive lineman who was struggling to make his blocks.

O'Leary handed 314-pound Dustin Vaitekunas a football and told him to stand alone against four defensive lineman coming at full speed. The coach said the foursome wasn't supposed to hit Vaitekunas, only give him an idea of how a quarterback feels when blockers miss their assignments.

But Vaitekunas was pummeled by at least two of his teammates, leaving him sprawled on the ground for several minutes, gasping for breath."

He was making up a hypothetical quote that a "deny-deny-deny" football program might come up with to run away from all this. I thought it was an effective way to make his point, actually.

But as per that hypothetical quote, how do we know that it isn't really true that the quotes about the "toxic culture" are from disgruntled people with axes to grind? Certainly not from the ESPN piece itself. When journalists cherry pick interviewees and quotes (there are plenty of players, none anonymous, who have taken the initiative to counter what was written, I'm sure they were available) to make their articles more sensational, and frame every incident in the worst light possible, they are leaving themselves open to such a charge.

As an example of the latter: the article speaks of a player who was "dismissed from the team for smiling at a team meeting," or something of the like. It turns out that this player, an upperclassmen, was sitting in the back of the meeting enjoying videos on his phone while the coach was addressing the team. I don't think there's a coach in any program who wants that guy around when he's trying to build something. He's playing for Toledo now.

My gut feeling is still that the Jordan McNair situation was horribly bungled and the school should (and will) face up to that, but the "toxic culture" bit is made up more of irresponsible journalism than anything else. I'll stand by what I said earlier; if it's really that toxic, drastic measures should be taken. But I don't think it is -- we'd know about it already.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT