ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling U.S. Olympic Trials set for April 2-3

Suriano is a 5th seed and gets a bye first round. He then gets Seth Gross the 4th seed next. Anthony gets Nashon Garrett first and if he wins he gets top seeded Zain Retherford.

Husk
I asked the same question and was told when it is time to wrestle go wrestle. So make what you can from that. His group is a killer bunch with Retherford, Yanni, Oliver, Lee and Green who most have recently beaten him.

Update on Nick and not a good one

tenor.gif

This is devastating. Well, we can put to bed how much safer it was bubbled up at ASU, instead of here.

tenor.gif

This is devastating. Well, we can put to bed how much safer it was bubbled up at ASU, instead of here.
It was inherently safer to be in Arizona than NJ. The fact that he still got it doesn’t change that. It just sucks.

Damn, that's awful. I feel absolutely terrible for him. He basically gave up the last 1.5 years of his life to solely dedicate it to freestyle training in hopes of making the Olympic team. The worst part was, with Lee out due to injury, he was considered by many to be the favorite.

It was inherently safer to be in Arizona than NJ. The fact that he still got it doesn’t change that. It just sucks.
I disagree. Risks are basically the same being in a college wrestling room and around other wrestlers.

Cox missed weight by a minute or 2 and is out 😲 😬. Quite the drama with these trials between that and Suriano. I wonder if USA Wrestling needs some new leadership. I'm curious if other countries are not allowing their best wrestlers to compete or have a chance to make the Olympics.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Cox missed weight by a minute or 2 and is out 😲 😬. Quite the drama with these trials between that and Suriano. I wonder if USA Wrestling needs some new leadership. I'm curious if other countries are not allowing their best wrestlers to compete or have a chance to make the Olympics.

isn't it on the wrestler to make weight??

isn't it on the wrestler to make weight??
Absolutely 💯 and he should be admonished for that. Making weight is something every wrestler needs to do from day 1. But do you think other countries aren't allowing their best wrestlers some grace period or leniency like a minute or two, or some sort of challenge later to make the team? It isn't like he was 5 lbs over. He apparently made weight a minute too late.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Absolutely 💯 and he should be admonished for that. Making weight is something every wrestler needs to do from day 1. But do you think other countries aren't allowing their best wrestlers some grace period or leniency like a minute or two, or some sort of challenge later to make the team? It isn't like he was 5 lbs over. He apparently made weight a minute too late.

I disagree... There is absolutely zero excuse for being late to one of the biggest weigh-ins of your life!!

I disagree... There is absolutely zero excuse for being late to one of the biggest weigh-ins of your life!!
Yeah I agree there's no excuse for missing weight and it's unacceptable for someone of his caliber and experience, but these are glorified wrestle-offs and I guarantee other countries have some leniency. This isn't like trying to win a college dual. If we want our best wrestlers competing for Olympic 🥇 then you allow him and Suriano a best if 3 challenge series later, if nothing else.

Reactions: rugrapfan1
Yeah I agree there's no excuse for missing weight and it's unacceptable for someone of his caliber and experience, but these are glorified wrestle-offs and I guarantee other countries have some leniency. This isn't like trying to win a college dual. If we want our best wrestlers competing for Olympic 🥇 then you allow him and Suriano a best if 3 challenge series later, if nothing else.
What other reasons would you allow this for? If you allow it for these, then you need to allow it for others. IMO, it would turn into a circus.

Also, since wrestlers need to wrestle through the challenge tournament, it would be an incentive to just miss the trials. That way, they would be fresh for the finals.

Zain is a machine, such nice shots and able to finish. Ashnault looked exhausted after evening it 1-1. Had nothing left those last 2 mins. Unfortunately, he's had too many injuries to be anywhere near optimal form and conditioning.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT