ADVERTISEMENT

UC Regents let UCLA move to Big Ten

The networks don't want washington and Oregon.
The networks make the final calls,not a committee of expansion experts at the B10 office.
It's always the money$ bottom line for the networks that makes the call,not some suit in Indianapolis.

The networks don't want washington and Oregon.
The networks make the final calls,not a committee of expansion experts at the B10 office.
It's always the money$ bottom line for the networks that makes the call,not some suit in Indianapolis.
you could be right, but the BTN might like to have the #12 market (UofW)
along with the #21 Oregon would bring with them

Stanford and Cal are non starters.

Cal is part of the UC system. If UCLA isn’t allowed to go then Cal won’t be either. Stanford brings little value.

SC is a unicorn. Like ND. Private schools that have alumni/fanbases like public schools. Stanford doesn’t have that and they don’t bring a market like SC does.

Cal is part of the UC system. If UCLA isn’t allowed to go then Cal won’t be either. Stanford brings little value.

SC is a unicorn. Like ND. Private schools that have alumni/fanbases like public schools. Stanford doesn’t have that and they don’t bring a market like SC does.
Suppose -- just suppose - the Regents say to the Big Ten, "You can only have UCLA if you can take Cal." What would the Big Ten do? Having Cal gives the Big Ten bigger carriage fees from the San Francisco/Oakland CMA, which is the sixth biggest in the country. Once the Big Ten takes Cal, does it take Stanford too to preserve a traditional rivalry, to ease scheduling and traveling, and to give Notre Dame a slight additional incentive to join? Stanford's revenue teams have sometimes been excellent -- think Jim Plunkett and Andrew Luck --and its non-revenue sports have long been outstanding; Stanford has regularly won the Sears Cup, or whatever it's now called. I guess we'll find out next week when the Regents meet.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Suppose -- just suppose - the Regents say to the Big Ten, "You can only have UCLA if you can take Cal." What would the Big Ten do? Having Cal gives the Big Ten bigger carriage fees from the San Francisco/Oakland CMA, which is the sixth biggest in the country. Once the Big Ten takes Cal, does it take Stanford too to preserve a traditional rivalry, to ease scheduling and traveling, and to give Notre Dame a slight additional incentive to join? Stanford's revenue teams have sometimes been excellent -- think Jim Plunkett and Andrew Luck --and its non-revenue sports have long been outstanding; Stanford has regularly won the Sears Cup, or whatever it's now called. I guess we'll find out next week when the Regents meet.

So do you leave USC out in the cold? Cali is more in tune on West Coast issues that I am,but presented with that ultimatum I wouldn't count out the Big 10 saying "OK, we'll go with USC and Stanford".

Reactions: RUTGERS95
So do you leave USC out in the cold? Cali is more in tune on West Coast issues that I am,but presented with that ultimatum I wouldn't count out the Big 10 saying "OK, we'll go with USC and Stanford".
Would USC take that? It cares a lot more about its rivalry with UCLA than it does with Stanford. Would Stanford take that? As a smaller school and as one that thinks of itself as elite, does it want its students (including its non-revenue sports, which are a considerable source of pride (that's why Stanford invests in them)) traveling at least two time zones east for every competition? Of course, for the Regents to make that offer, they'd have to be willing to accept the possibility that the UCLA athletic department would continue to run at a huge deficit if the Big Ten says no. I don't know what's going to happen. I just think the situation is less cut-and-dried than @Caliknight suggests.

He is not implying USC gets left behind

You tell the regents to pound salt. If they would make these stipulations before either is a member of the B1G what will they do once they are members. 2 voting members at that.

Reactions: fsg2
Lots of angles being played to keep UCLA where is is right now including the adverse effect on the student athlete, particularly the black student athlete. Probably a long shot, but It is California, so I could see UCLA staying put. Their loss, it they are that easily manipulated and short-sighted. Could be interesting. I only hope USC is still willing to move on with a replacement school if that happens.

Would USC take that? It cares a lot more about its rivalry with UCLA than it does with Stanford. Would Stanford take that? As a smaller school and as one that thinks of itself as elite, does it want its students (including its non-revenue sports, which are a considerable source of pride (that's why Stanford invests in them)) traveling at least two time zones east for every competition? Of course, for the Regents to make that offer, they'd have to be willing to accept the possibility that the UCLA athletic department would continue to run at a huge deficit if the Big Ten says no. I don't know what's going to happen. I just think the situation is less cut-and-dried than @Caliknight suggests.

Remember that most non-football sports, revenue and non-revenue, have a lot of OOC games. Those could still be West Coast.

Reactions: retired711
You tell the regents to pound salt. If they would make these stipulations before either is a member of the B1G what will they do once they are members. 2 voting members at that.
I think it's the other way around -- that they have the maximum leverage now, before they've joined, and would have less later. Your girl friend has more leverage over you when you propose than once the two of you are married -- it's easier for her to walk away before the two of you are married. After all, once UCLA joins (something that would wound or kill the Pac-12) ) where could it go to instead?

P.S. I never heard the expression "pound salt" before; I now learn it's a variant of "pound sand."

Last edited:
They could say that but I think they are just as likely to take the 4 California schools.

Then the demise of the PAC falls to the California regents

I think it's the other way around -- that they have the maximum leverage now, before they've joined, and would have less later. Your girl friend has more leverage over you when you propose than once the two of you are married -- it's easier for her to walk away before the two of you are married. After all, once UCLA joins (something that would wound or kill the Pac-12) ) where could it go to instead?

P.S. I never heard the expression "pound salt" before; I now learn it's a variant of "pound sand."
UCLA Cal and the regents have zero leverage. UCLA is hitching their wagon to USC. UCLA needs a lifeline. B1G can go the next in line bypassing both UCLA and Cal. If UCLA is forced by the regents to forgo the B1G to save Cal. UCLA will be in a wounded pac with no chance of a similar B1G payday.

UCLA Cal and the regents have zero leverage. UCLA is hitching their wagon to USC. UCLA needs a lifeline. B1G can go the next in line bypassing both UCLA and Cal. If UCLA is forced by the regents to forgo the B1G to save Cal. UCLA will be in a wounded pac with no chance of a similar B1G payday.
You're probably right -- UCLA has a huge deficit and USC might well join without UCLA. My best guess is that the Regents will let this go ahead, and require that UCLA pay some money to Cal. But we'll see.

You're probably right -- UCLA has a huge deficit and USC might well join without UCLA. My best guess is that the Regents will let this go ahead, and require that UCLA pay some money to Cal. But we'll see.

USC is going with or without UCLA.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Do you think USC would go alone if no one else would join them (which is unlikely, but possible)?
I think the B1G will quickly try to get a traveling partner whether that be Oregon or, IMO, Washington.

But yes, SC is committed. They aren’t letting some group of pols that have nothing to do with them control their destiny.

I can tell you for sure that UNC is looking into how they can exit the Acc without a penalty. Or less of one. Nothing imminent but their board is all over this. They see the writing on the wall. Less intel on Uva but I’m told they feel the same.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I think the B1G will quickly try to get a traveling partner whether that be Oregon or, IMO, Washington.

But yes, SC is committed. They aren’t letting some group of pols that have nothing to do with them control their destiny.

I can tell you for sure that UNC is looking into how they can exit the Acc without a penalty. Or less of one. Nothing imminent but their board is all over this. They see the writing on the wall. Less intel on Uva but I’m told they feel the same.

LOL!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

Stanford and Cal would be huge for the conference in terms of academics.

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

Stanford and Cal would be huge for the conference in terms of academics.
They would be, and USC/UCLA are as well. The Big Ten handles its library collection as one, and that benefit alone is going to be a major jump.

The one thing people don't talk about when they talk about adding Washington, Oregon, California, Stanford, etc. Is that travel costs will go down significantly if more conference games can be played locally. Since the B1G helps subsidize travel costs, that may be worth it to them.

All hail the future Big Ten West division.

Last edited:
If the Regents deny UCLA, within a couple of months UCLA will announce the downgrading of 3 women's sports to club status. The Regents know this. Their only other choice is to fund those sports themselves.

If the Regents deny UCLA, within a couple of months UCLA will announce the downgrading of 3 women's sports to club status. The Regents know this. Their only other choice is to fund those sports themselves.

That would create Title IX issues. Do the Regents point that out? Would UCLA double down and downgrade 3 men's sports?

the Regents will huff and puff, but if Cal is added they will tell the PAC tro pound sand when their commissioner starts whining about the B1G taking over the West Coast and destroying the far west sports culture the PAC provided in that area..

I expect USC,UCLA,Cal, Stanford , Oregon and Washington to turn B1G and destroying the PAC as a P-5 Conference.
Leaving the Big 12 to take their pick of the leftovers

Reactions: bigmatt718
the Regents will huff and puff, but if Cal is added they will tell the PAC tro pound sand when their commissioner starts whining about the B1G taking over the West Coast and destroying the far west sports culture the PAC provided in that area..

I expect USC,UCLA,Cal, Stanford , Oregon and Washington to turn B1G and destroying the PAC as a P-5 Conference.
Leaving the Big 12 to take their pick of the leftovers
I don't think the B1G is looking to expand to the West, they got the two programs they wanted. Maybe if ND decided to join they would grab one, but the valuable properties left are in the South and the B1G can afford to wait it out until the ACC GOR runs out next decade. The B1G in it for the long term, they think in terms of decades, not years.

That would create Title IX issues. Do the Regents point that out? Would UCLA double down and downgrade 3 men's sports?
It only creates Title IX issues if you are on the margin with your number of female athletes. If you have many more female athletes than you need to satisfy Title IX then there is no problem.

It only creates Title IX issues if you are on the margin with your number of female athletes. If you have many more female athletes than you need to satisfy Title IX then there is no problem.

How many D1 schools with football programs have enough of a margin to downgrade 3 women's programs? I'd venture to say none.

Just a heads up. The UC Regents meeting on Wednesday is being taken over by the strike currently happening on all UC campuses. It is possible that they may postpone the UCLA decision again, or perhaps move it to another meeting.

FYI the UCLA discussion is currently scheduled for late afternoon California time. It will be available to view live. I will post a link to that discussion if and when the Regents post it.

Just a heads up. The UC Regents meeting on Wednesday is being taken over by the strike currently happening on all UC campuses. It is possible that they may postpone the UCLA decision again, or perhaps move it to another meeting.

FYI the UCLA discussion is currently scheduled for late afternoon California time. It will be available to view live. I will post a link to that discussion if and when the Regents post it.
Please do! Thanks!!

Why is this? Do you think the number of women athletes at UCLA substantially exceeds the number of male athletes? (I wouldn't be amazed if it did, but I don't know.)

I'm not going to dig through all the numbers to dispute this but I'd also be amazed.

Why is this? Do you think the number of women athletes at UCLA substantially exceeds the number of male athletes? (I wouldn't be amazed if it did, but I don't know.)
did a quick google and found this
>The University of California - Los Angeles Athletics Program
A total number of 881 student athletes participate in varsity sports at the school, 402 of whom are male and 479 are female. On average, these students receive around $17,966 in sports-related student aid, which can help defray a lot of college costs.<
edit to add after another quick google
>For football, they are in the Football Bowl Subdivision of Division I (formerly Division I-A). UCLA is second to only Stanford University as the school with the most NCAA team championships at 120 NCAA team championships. UCLA offers 11 varsity sports programs for men and 14 for women.<

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT