ADVERTISEMENT

UConn: "Fall sports likely cancelled"

They really did sell out FB for Basketball. Probably would be less costly for them if FB is a no go this fall.

He just doesn't want to have to watch his crappy football team this fall

Yup - completely agree with you. There was a recent article to that effect regarding commercial real estate and the effect that we're going to see on office space. I work for a biotech with ~1700 employees and our CEO who was always quite skeptical of people working from home mentioned last week in his address to the company how impressed he was at the amount and quality of work that was being done. I think as more company leaders are seeing that a large amount of their staff who could work from home are being very productive while doing so and are changing their minds about the concept. It will be interesting to see how that aspect plays out with regards to office space. As the article pointed out the rather crowded open office model isn't necessarily going to cut it in this type of situation and private offices are more expensive. Throw in that you will likely have to limit the number of people crammed into conference rooms, etc. and people's comfort level in being in a crowded room there will likely be a lot of changes coming.
We are not as big as you but our CEO said the same thing last week. She was always opposed to WFH but now thinks it is the way to go in the future.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yup - completely agree with you. There was a recent article to that effect regarding commercial real estate and the effect that we're going to see on office space. I work for a biotech with ~1700 employees and our CEO who was always quite skeptical of people working from home mentioned last week in his address to the company how impressed he was at the amount and quality of work that was being done. I think as more company leaders are seeing that a large amount of their staff who could work from home are being very productive while doing so and are changing their minds about the concept. It will be interesting to see how that aspect plays out with regards to office space. As the article pointed out the rather crowded open office model isn't necessarily going to cut it in this type of situation and private offices are more expensive. Throw in that you will likely have to limit the number of people crammed into conference rooms, etc. and people's comfort level in being in a crowded room there will likely be a lot of changes coming.

We are not as big as you but our CEO said the same thing last week. She was always opposed to WFH but now thinks it is the way to go in the future.

Interesting. @RC1991 , can you post that article? We are a small law firm of less than 20 employees, but we are all crushing it at home right now. Even when the restrictions are lifted, we have discussed working from home at least an additional 6-8 weeks to make sure we are in the clear.

The major thing we are missing right now is the sense of community we have when we are all in the office. Simple things like dropping into someone's office, chatting about either a project, the news or just about anything. Most importantly, just having a good spontaneous laugh about anything that happens during the day. Zoom meetings can't replace that.

Interesting. @RC1991 , can you post that article? We are a small law firm of less than 20 employees, but we are all crushing it at home right now. Even when the restrictions are lifted, we have discussed working from home at least an additional 6-8 weeks to make sure we are in the clear.

The major thing we are missing right now is the sense of community we have when we are all in the office. Simple things like dropping into someone's office, chatting about either a project, the news or just about anything. Most importantly, just having a good spontaneous laugh about anything that happens during the day. Zoom meetings can't replace that.
I hope that a balance comes out of this. I don't think it's a terrible idea to have people work a couple of days from home, but for some jobs or tasks you just need to be there in person.

Sure...here you go:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/4/1...ork-from-home-design-architecture-real-estate

We have been making good use of MS Teams in addition to Zoom. It's not a replacement for dropping by someone's office but in addition to 1:1 you can also create broader team sites. We've been using it to share fun stuff as well as have conversations but even that is not quite the same. The big problem with the Zoom meetings is the issue of not getting kicked out of a conference room and having the meetings easily go over time. You have to consciously keep track of time and for longer meetings make an effort to give people a break to get up and stretch, eat, etc. I think in a law firm though where you have a client relationship the in-person contact is probably more important than in other settings. I think we are likely going to have a phased approach to getting back in the office and probably work from home for a few weeks more after the stay at home is lifted. We are a few weeks ahead of you guys out here in WA so hopefully we will see what that looks like soon.

I hope that a balance comes out of this. I don't think it's a terrible idea to have people work a couple of days from home, but for some jobs or tasks you just need to be there in person.

I do think there will be a balance but I think for companies that frowned on working from home there will be a tendency to let employees do it a few days a week without the amount of justification and push back it may have taken in the past. In my particular group working from home is common and it is often difficult to recruit people who would want to relocate because they have so many remote options. I have been successful with my justifications and have about 7 remote employees out of a group of 30. What I am hoping for is now not having to jump through as many hoops to justify hiring someone who would work remotely since we have proven that we are capable.

When computers came along, some of the big advantages were supposed to be four day work weeks and many people were supposed to be working from home. This, of course, would save employees a lot of money not spent on gas and car repairs, not to mention a lot less stress.Parents were going to be able to spend a lot more time with their children. I remember a zillion books written about the four day work week and what were Americans going to do with all this extra free time. Somehow people worked a lot less hours in 1970 than they have in the last few decades.

Last edited:
And that’s it right there for almost anything...the right balance.

Me too.

When computers came along, some of the big advantages were supposed to be four day work weeks and many people were supposed to be working from home. This, of course, would save employees a lot of money not spent on gas and car repairs, not to mention a lot less stress.Patents were going to be able to spend a lot more time with their children. I remember a zillion books written about the four day work week and what were Americans going to do with all this extra free time. Somehow people worked a lot less hours in 1970 than they have in the last few decades.
You answered the “why not” in your post.

How many days a week do you get to work from home?
Since the invention of the personal cellphone and texting apps, it seems like all the time. So much so I either turn mine off or council my subordinates...figure it out on your own. LOL

And my reply to @HeavenUniv. was more along the line of some industries would like less of the WFH thing because it affects their wallet.

Since the invention of the personal cellphone and texting apps, it seems like all the time. So much so I either turn mine off or council my subordinates...figure it out on your own. LOL

And my reply to @HeavenUniv. was more along the line of some industries would like less of the WFH thing because it affects their wallet.
Some local volunteer departments are doing virtual training for training nights. Not a bad idea, but not quite the same as hands on training.

Some local volunteer departments are doing virtual training for training nights. Not a bad idea, but not quite the same as hands on training.
I have seriously considered offering my services (for a fee :Wink:) as an adjunct at that place out on 33 when I’m done.

I think UCONN will be cancelling fall sports for quite a while.

I would have to agree, this will be the excuse to shut down the department. I can hear it now: We did everything we could but we could not support the budget without a season. We like to thank all our loyal fans and alumni for their support during these trying times. But as of 01 Jan 2021 we will no longer have an Athletic Department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT