ADVERTISEMENT

Ugh - Corboz lifts Maryland to Big 10 Title

kennyschiano

All Conference
Gold Member
May 12, 2005
A sensational free kick by midfielder Mael Corboz[/B] in the 86th minute lifted the top-seeded Terrapins to a 2-1 victory over Indiana, securing the university's first Big Ten tournament title in any sport since joining the conference this year and clinching a 14th consecutive NCAA tournament berth.

The free kick awarded was absurd. The ref who awarded should be banned for life. The Indiana kid was IN FRONT of the Maryland kid, playing the ball in stride, and the Maryland kid kicked the right side of the IU player's right foot, coming in from the kid's right (ball was played in from the left), and fell down. You could even see the footmark left on the IU kid's sock. Absolutely disgraceful use of officiating making the wrong call, in the final minutes, no less.

Thats not the point Nuts. A Rutgers transfer becomes UM's leading scorer and hero in the Big TeN Championship game.
That's the sad story. Do you remember when Dahntey Jones and Billet transferred? It's never a good sign when your best players transfer out.

Originally posted by snowboarder:
Thats not the point Nuts. A Rutgers transfer becomes UM's leading scorer and hero in the Big TeN Championship game.
That's the sad story. Do you remember when Dahntey Jones and Billet transferred? It's never a good sign when your best players transfer out.
I didn't say it was the point. I was just commenting on the play that "lifted" Maryland to the title. Thanks.

(and, being a "Spartan," I will never, ever, forgive Jones for leaving RU.....)

This post was edited on 11/18 9:07 AM by AreYouNUTS

The OP makes a comment about a sensational free kick by Mael Corboz that lifts Maryland to there first ever Big Ten title. You comment as follows:

The free kick awarded was absurd. The ref who awarded should be banned for life. The Indiana kid was IN FRONT of the Maryland kid, playing the ball in stride, and the Maryland kid kicked the right side of the IU player's right foot, coming in from the kid's right (ball was played in from the left), and fell down. You could even see the footmark left on the IU kid's sock. Absolutely disgraceful use of officiating making the wrong call, in the final minutes, no less.

It seems to me that you are missing the point that the OP is trying to make. The point is that an ex RU player had the opportunity to lift another school to a title. The original OP was not commenting on the officiating or fairness of the result. Mael's ability to help another school when he should be at RU is the point.

Lol snowboarder. He acknowledged that it wasn't the point. Not sure why it's such a big deal to go a little off topic and mention the terrible call that led to the free kick taking place.

We all wish Corboz was still here, but now that he's gone there's no sense crying about his departure. He has pro aspirations, so he decided it was best to transfer to the top soccer program in the country. Can't blame the kid for that.

Originally posted by kennyschiano:
A sensational free kick by midfielder Mael Corboz[/B] in the 86th minute lifted the top-seeded Terrapins to a 2-1 victory over Indiana, securing the university's first Big Ten tournament title in any sport since joining the conference this year and clinching a 14th consecutive NCAA tournament berth.

SNOWBOARDER - where, in this OP by kennyschiano, do you see ONE WORD about Rutgers, or the transfer of Corboz from Rutgers to Maryland? Hint: nowhere. What you do see, however, are the words "sensational free kick by midfielder Mael Corboz...," correct?

So, in all reality, it is YOU who has a serious reading comprehension issue, not me missing "the point," of the OP (despite the fact that, so as to not start a war of words with you, I CLEARLY state, in my response to you:

"I didn't say it was the point. I was just commenting on the play that "lifted" Maryland to the title. Thanks."

So move long. Thanks.

i figured that those reading about soccer realized that he was a rutgers transfer - why else would the "ugh" be in the title.

just another reason donny must go.

Thanks Kenny. The fact that you mentioned Mael's goal is obviously relevant here only as it relates to his recent transfer from Rutgers. I would have to think that "Nuts" would understand that. By moving the focus of the OP to the referees role in the free kick, it diverts attention from the intended relevant issue. The fact that our best player from a year ago is now playing at Maryland.
I do not find solace in the opinion that Mael left to find a better developmental environment. That would be an admission that the current staff does not have the ability to help players with professional aspirations. What would make other top players think any different?
This post was edited on 11/18 4:49 PM by snowboarder

This post was edited on 11/19 7:30 AM by snowboarder

Still don't know how you guys let Corboz get away without having him sit for a season, but Maryland fans appreciate it. What's crazy is that this was Maryland's 5th conference tournament title in the last seven years. Indiana won't like giving up their throne atop the B1G table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT