ADVERTISEMENT

Update - Hobbs moving quickly

Hear Lonergan is up there too, have to see if they can get him.

Yes Hurley's one of the top two targets. Do you trust Hobbs' judgement? Because that's proof that Hobbs likes what he sees in Hurley.

Rhode Island has a top 25caliber team next season. Rutgers hasn't been in the top 25 since ....?
When the man in charge introduces our next BB coach at the podium I am all in.

Until that time I reserve the right to bicker like the rest of us. :)

When the man in charge introduces our next BB coach at the podium I am all in.

Until that time I reserve the right to bicker like the rest of us. :)
Amen. Lots of good back and forth here today. We may all not agree on many things but we all have the same goal - to rebuild this basketball program.

I believe that Hobbs needs to be interviewing other candidates in the event that Hurley turns us down.

As always, RU needs backup choices for a new HC. History tells us that.

Could Hurley get the salary, program and facilities commitments from Hobbs and still turn us down ?

Absolutely Yes, in my opinion.

I believe that Hobbs needs to be interviewing other candidates in the event that Hurley turns us down.

Could Hurley get the salary, program and facilities commitments from Hobbs and still turn us down ?

I believe Hobbs needs to interview other candidates to choose the best one.

Think he has a back-up plan and the HC from Stony Brook is one and Cluess is another.
Wouldn't be surprised if Hobbs put out feelers to their agents.
He was at the Hall-Nova game talking to Danny Hurley and Mike Lonergan's agent who also represents Willard and negotiated Ash's contract with RU.

My speculation:
I think we'll know pretty soon and it will be one of those 4 with the odds on favorite being Hurley.
The only thing that makes Hurley coming to RU questionable is: will Danny back off from wanting 7 years or will Hobbs give him it
Lonergan might be happy where he's at and GW might give him more incentive to stay.
But at 50. this might be the time for him to move up or consider staying at GW the rest of his coaching career if they give him a long term contract to stay.

Tim Clueless is 57 and another offer from a P-5 program might not come his way.
Steve Pikiell is 48 and doesn't have any major program experience except when he joined the UConn program for a year as an assistant then one at Yale for a couple of years and then 2 smaller programs before becoming Stony Brook's HC

I know there are some who follow MBB more than I do that like Clueless and Pikiell, but I question if they can succeed at RU if they are the fallback plan and would prefer a P-5 top assistant under 40 to try his hand if a retread like Sendek isn't the type of HC Hobbs is considering.

Another interesting tidbit is that Hobbs has not named an interim head coach from the current assistants, pointing to an expected quick hire.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Got to get Lonergan or Hurley. Cluess would be a disaster.

Agree. The B1G is way too big a stage for Cluess. Have you ever seen Iona's gym ? Looks like a HS gym and the MAAC is very small time from a competitive standpoint. Masiello probably falls into the same category. Draddy Gymnasium at Manhattan College seats about 2K and a lot of their wins came at the hands of Marist, St Peters, Canisius, Rider, Fairfield etc. Cluess would be a major buzzkill for RU fans. Let's hope we don't have to go there.

Reactions: bac2therac
So does he.
I don't want a guy who sees $$$$ first and an attitude of "Yeah, I'll give it a shot."
If he is the guy I hope he is extremely successful and tells us the truth in the opening presser...it will take time but with the promised support we're gonna get it done.
I think a lot of us could get on board hearing something like that.
Somebody who's gotta say, "Hey, Jersey, this is your team. From High Point to Cape May, from the Delaware to Raritan Bay, this team is yours if you want it. You support us, we'll work hard for you and bring the Big Ten title here. You don't, it'll be another quarter century before you sniff the tourney." I wonder if Hurley's a guy who can convince New Jersey that this is their hoops program. To get the facilities done, it's gonna take a lot of pledges from inside the state.

What you have to realize is that Rutgers has absolutely no basketball tradition. I hate to be negative but any up and coming coach with prospects will not take this job unless they have a personal reason to take it. The fact that we are in a P 5 conference will have zero bearing on a coach taking this job. While I am not sure Hurley is a great coach, he has reasons for coming back - 1) its New Jersey, 2) Pat Hobbs. Also, Hurley was pretty popular with the fans as an assistant while he was here. As far as becoming Seton Hall South, look where they are at and where we are at. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.
Agreed; anybody that thinks we can skim the top of the cream is not facing facts. We need somebody that has a reason beyond career advancement to take the job.

Reactions: BigLou
How about Hofstra's Joe Mihalich as a possible candidate. Hofstra won the CAA this year. The team improved each year under him since he became coach 3 years ago. He had inherited a mess. He had several NCAA and NIT tourney teams at Niagara before that.

I think the job is not going to attract top tier coaches. If Hobbs likes Hurley, than I'm good with that. The only thing I'm not good with is signing him to a stupid contract.

remember Hurley has the advantage here in contract negotiations....RU HAS THE WORST FACILITIES IN ALL OF THE POWER 6 and worse than half of the mid majors and some low majors. Risking your career on a school that has not supported hoops for 25 years is risky, thats why there is a lack of candidates. Hurley or Lonergan need major assurances and concessions and Hobbs is going to have to give him them that or drop to a 2nd or third tier candidate or hire a guy who has no coaching experience like Jay Williams

Reactions: RUJMM78
Agree. The B1G is way too big a stage for Cluess. Have you ever seen Iona's gym ? Looks like a HS gym and the MAAC is very small time from a competitive standpoint. Masiello probably falls into the same category. Draddy Gymnasium at Manhattan College seats about 2K and a lot of their wins came at the hands of Marist, St Peters, Canisius, Rider, Fairfield etc. Cluess would be a major buzzkill for RU fans. Let's hope we don't have to go there.
Didn't Willard come out of that same gym? $$$$

remember Hurley has the advantage here in contract negotiations....RU HAS THE WORST FACILITIES IN ALL OF THE POWER 6 and worse than half of the mid majors and some low majors. Risking your career on a school that has not supported hoops for 25 years is risky, thats why there is a lack of candidates. Hurley or Lonergan need major assurances and concessions and Hobbs is going to have to give him them that or drop to a 2nd or third tier candidate or hire a guy who has no coaching experience like Jay Williams
you are preaching to the choir. Hobbs has to put on his salesman hat on and not give up the 7+ year contract. These two candidates are not proven for that kind of term.

Got to get Lonergan or Hurley. Cluess would be a disaster.

What am I missing with Cluess? He has won .800 of his games. Made the tournament 3 times. Plays exciting entertaining basketball. Seems to identify talent AJ English and Cashmir. His only warts seem to be that he is older and has some sketchy transfers on his Iona teams.

What am I missing with Cluess? He has won .800 of his games. Made the tournament 3 times. Plays exciting entertaining basketball. Seems to identify talent AJ English and Cashmir. His only warts seem to be that he is older and has some sketchy transfers on his Iona teams.
Better than Hurley

Cluess and Pikiell are both excellent coaches. I just don't think they have what it takes on the recruiting front. Recruiting is enormously important when you are in a P5 environment.
I have the same concerns about Lonergan. A steady diet of foreign athletes isn't the answer for us. Hurley is the only realistic candidate that can make a recruiting splash with the types of players we will need to compete in the Big 10.

Reactions: Knightmoves
you are preaching to the choir. Hobbs has to put on his salesman hat on and not give up the 7+ year contract. These two candidates are not proven for that kind of term.
No coach should get more than 4 years as a initial hire with the option to renew after 2-3 years.A 7 year contract is ridiculous because Rutgers could be stuck paying multiple years if the coach is fired plus hiring a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT