ADVERTISEMENT

Updated 2019/2020 Minutes

RUHills

Sophomore
Jul 14, 2011
First guess (assuming no other additions)

Young 18 - mostly at the 2
Mulcahy 18 - all 1
Mcconnell 12 - 1, 2, 3
Harper 22 - all 3
Mathis 16 - 2, 3
Geo 24 - 1 and 2
Eugene 28 - 4
Yeboah 24 - 3 and 4
Carter 8 - 4
Doucoure 6 - 5
Myles J 24 - 5

Very rough estimates:

27-29: Baker (1/2)
25-27: Omoruyi (4/5)
25-27: Harper (3/4)
25-27: Johnson (5)
25-27: Yeboah (3/4)
17-19: Mathis (2/3)
13-15: Young (1/2)
12-14: McConnell (1/2/3)
10-12: Mulcahy (1)
5-8: Carter (5)
5-8: Doucoure (5)
4-6: Kiss (2/3)

Very rough estimates:

27-29: Baker (1/2)
25-27: Omoruyi (4/5)
25-27: Harper (3/4)
25-27: Johnson (5)
25-27: Yeboah (3/4)
17-19: Mathis (2/3)
13-15: Young (1/2)
12-14: McConnell (1/2/3)
10-12: Mulcahy (1)
5-8: Carter (5)
5-8: Doucoure (5)
4-6: Kiss (2/3)
These numbers seem fair but I would cut it down to a 10 man rotation and think Mulcahy will cut more of Geo’s minutes down. Need a fresh Geo and Omoruyi.

Reactions: Scangg
These numbers seem fair but I would cut it down to a 10 man rotation and think Mulcahy will cut more of Geo’s minutes down. Need a fresh Geo and Omoruyi.

I think that one of Carter/Doucoure is going to end up as the primary backup at center, and the other will be only in for mop up minutes. I see Kiss as the odd man out of the guard rotation, and he may also only end up with spot minutes.

Of course, injures can change all of this - as can matchups, foul trouble, etc.

I think that one of Carter/Doucoure is going to end up as the primary backup at center, and the other will be only in for mop up minutes. I see Kiss as the odd man out of the guard rotation, and he may also only end up with spot minutes.

Of course, injures can change all of this - as can matchups, foul trouble, etc.
True but Doucoure might only play real minutes when Big Ten play starts and guys get into foul trouble.

First guess (assuming no other additions)

Young 18 - mostly at the 2
Mulcahy 18 - all 1
Mcconnell 12 - 1, 2, 3
Harper 22 - all 3
Mathis 16 - 2, 3
Geo 24 - 1 and 2
Eugene 28 - 4
Yeboah 24 - 3 and 4
Carter 8 - 4
Doucoure 6 - 5
Myles J 24 - 5
Young- 24
Mulcahy- 15
McConnell- 16
Harper- 24
Mathis- 18
Geo- 23
Eugene- 25
Yeboah- 24
Carter- 4
Duke- 4
Myles J- 23
Kiss- Reserve

I think we'll see a ton of lineups where we have our front court players as just Yeboah and Eugene. In lineups like that we have the ability to 2-2-1 press and then set up a zone with the length that we'll have with a lineup of lets say Mulcahy-Geo-Harper-Yeboah-Eugene

Young- 20
Mulcahy- 15
McConnell- 22
Harper- 22
Mathis- 22
Geo- 30
Eugene- 30
Yeboah- 25
Carter- 5
Duke- 5
Myles J- 25
Kiss- Reserve

I don't see any scenario where Geo only plays 23-24 mpg. He'll get 30 mpg. People underestimate his value to the team, especially if he can slip back to his natural position. (I also don't see Pike going with a lineup where everyone in the top 8 gets roughly 18-20 mpg as some have suggested.) Eugene will be the only other guy who gets 30 mpg. Myles will get as many mpg as foul trouble will allow - ideally 25+ mpg. The newcomers are harder to predict. Young is highly touted and college-seasoned, but not a true PG so 20 mpg seems about right. Mulcahy is a true frosh so I could see him getting minutes closer to Caleb's minutes last year - 15 mpg. Montez needs 20+ minutes, as arguably the team's best on-ball defender and true slasher. Same for Harper. I don't see Kiss and Carter getting much time at all unless Young and Yeboah are unexpected busts in the Big 10 (doubtful). Have to find 20+ mpg for Caleb too, as he really blossomed last year. Duke is a total wild card. He was athletic but raw as a freshman. If he's improved at all with the year off I'd rather see him get Cater's minutes.

I love these posts, but it's always tough to come down to an average. We know Pikiell loves to go deep on his bench and ride the hot hand. Players will play assuming they earn it. Carter might only average 4 minutes a game, but may have a huge 15 minutes in some random game against Nebraska next year...

Reactions: Rutgers25
As Pike has stated; "I play the best and I'm fair to the rest"!! The reality is we will have players with "DNP" especially with some matchups. The good news we will have loads of competition and the option to press more often with our depth. We will want our best players to go for 30 min/game...likely Geo, Eugene and Yeboah. The practices should be interesting as the competition gets tougher. I'm really looking forward to see this team this develops and how the rotation evolves.

Some overall thoughts on the lineup.

1. I don’t think any player needs to play over 30 minutes a game. This lineup depth should be utilized to the fullest. Too many good players to keep happy too

2. This lineup now allows pike to run a 40-minute full court press defense and high intensity transition game and that works with having young and mulcahy as your point guards.

3. This is how I see it average out at the end of the year. Oops this is difficult. I left out douc in the first attempt. Too many players.
Young = 20
Mulcahy = 18
Geo = 22
Mathis = 22
Harper = 22
Macconnell = 20
Yeboah = 20
Omoruyi = 22
Johnson = 20
Douc = 4
Carter = 8
Kiss = 2?
??? = 0???

Last edited:
I hope Montez Mathis is reading all of these projections ...and played with even a bigger chip on his shoulder this season

No one is going to be happy with the minutes people are posting. I think if Eugene is not a center 2 perimeter guys will not be in the rotation.

If Yeboah is real good or there is injuries I like the addition. If not.....

Other than Kiss no one is willing to go out on a limb and guess the 2nd guy who could get spotty minutes. :flushed:

If Mulcahy meets some people’s expectations
If Young meets some people’s expectations.
If Harper takes a big step forward
I assume Yeboah comes here expecting 20 min

All these are good, real good. A guy like Caleb could be out.

1. I don’t think any player needs to play over 30 minutes a game. This lineup depth should be utilized to the fullest. Too many good players to keep happy too

2. This lineup now allows pike to run a 40-minute full court press defense and high intensity transition game and that works with having young and mulcahy as your point guards.

3. This is how I see it average out at the end of the year
Young = 20
Mulcahy = 20
Geo = 22
Mathis = 22
Harper = 22
Macconnell = 20
Yeboah = 20
Omoruyi = 22
Johnson = 22
Carter = 8
Kiss = 2?
??? = 0???

NCAA is a huge business. Coaches do not have to keep any player happy. We all know how it is.

The best players have a growth mindset. The competition with Akwasi and RHJ is going to be tremendous.

I am very excited for both of them.

Other than Kiss no one is willing to go out on a limb and guess the 2nd guy who could get spotty minutes. :flushed:

If Mulcahy meets some people’s expectations
If Young meets some people’s expectations.
If Harper takes a big step forward
I assume Yeboah comes here expecting 20 min

All these are good, real good. A guy like Caleb could be out.

I know you're trying to even everyone out and manage expectations, but sometimes when you say stuff like this you make it seem like we should have a roster of 6 players. There might be players upset with playing time. Pikiell is going to have to navigate that, but if we have good players it will sort itself out. These guys all seem to like each other and that will help.

3. This is how I see it average out at the end of the year. Oops this is difficult. I left out douc in the first attempt. Too many players.
Young = 20
Mulcahy = 18
Geo = 22
Mathis = 22
Harper = 22
Macconnell = 20
Yeboah = 20
Omoruyi = 22
Johnson = 20
Douc = 4
Carter = 8
Kiss = 2?
??? = 0???
most people don't know this but Pike at heart is a run and gun guy. He want his offense to be able to get out and run he's just never had the horses to do so. Wait until you see this team this year, my lawddddd

“This isn’t little league,” said Pike when talking about minutes last year. You play well and you play. Minutes work themselves out.

2020 we will have 3 open spots and depending on what we do with the last 2019 spot, maybe 4?its going be a lot of fun this season and Beyond.

I know you're trying to even everyone out and manage expectations, but sometimes when you say stuff like this you make it seem like we should have a roster of 6 players. There might be players upset with playing time. Pikiell is going to have to navigate that, but if we have good players it will sort itself out. These guys all seem to like each other and that will help.

Agree with all of this.

Only caveat is if Yeboah takes time from players who need to develop for the future. Or worse.

The arguement that if a guy gets bumped from the rotation from this signing that person is not a big loss is valid though.

I’m usually game for these games but—given what we haven’t seen—here we’re engaging in real fantasy.

Reactions: kcg88
If we run into a problem of not being able to get talented players on the floor because the guys ahead of them are more deserving of the minutes, that's a very good problem to have.

I'd love to be saying mid-season, "I wish [X player] would get more minutes, but I just can't see taking [Y or Z players] off the floor."

I’m usually game for these games but—given what we haven’t seen—here we’re engaging in real fantasy.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. We have no idea what kind of progression guys will make. In years past the difference between our 3rd best player and our 8th best player was obvious, making this sort of exercise possible. This year we have like 10 or 11 players who are not far apart from each other.

Does Montez add a 3-point shot to his arsenal? Do Harper and McConnell shoot like they did in February or like they did in November/December? Does Young fit into the flow of the offense? Was Kiss' shoulder bugging him last year and he's actually a very reliable shooter (and did he add other things to his game)? Is Mulcahy such a good passer that he needs to be on the floor more, or will Geo be the primary PG? Can Yeboah and Omoruyi be on the floor together?

There are dozens of questions to sort out.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Since people are having fun with minutes in this and the other thread, how would you match up with this projected Purdue line-up? This is w/o incoming frosh or transfers .
Harms - C (7'3")
Williams - PF (6'9")
Wheeler - SF (6'9")
Eastern - PG (6'6")
Stephanovic - SG (6'4")

This is my line-up:
Myles
Gene
Yeboah
Harper
Geo

Reactions: RU at the shore
These are fun. I'll take a stab:

PG: Young (20), Mulcahy (13), Geo (6), McConnell (1)
2G: Geo (24), Mathis (16)
WF: Harper (24) McConnell (16)
PF: Eugene (24), Yeboah (16)
C: Myles (18), Doucoure (10), Carter (10), Eugene (2)

Geo (30)
Eugene (26)
Harper (24)
Young (20)
Myles (18)
McConnell (17)
Mathis (16)
Yeboah (16)
Mulcahy (13)
Doucoure (10)
Carter (10)

This is before we add one more player? Mathis looks like the wildcard. Stay tuned. $$$$

Guards (80):
Baker - 28
Mathis - 18
Young - 18
Mulcahy - 12
McConnell - 4
Kiss - 0

Forwards (80)
Omoruyi - 20
Harper - 24
Yeboah - 22
McConnell - 14

Center (40)
Johnson - 24
Omoruyi - 8
Carter/Doucoure - 8

As you can see, I have Omoruyi and McConnell listed in two places each, so here's the total minutes distribution:

Baker - 28
Omoruyi - 28
Harper - 24
Johnson - 24
Yeboah - 22
Mathis - 18
Young - 18
McConnell - 18
Mulcahy - 12
Carter/Doucoure - 8 total
Kiss - 0 (do I really think he will never play? No, I'm sure he will get spot duty, but for a minutes analysis like this, I assume 0)

The wild card in all of this is whether Mulcahy proves himself ready to be a full-time PG as a freshman in the Big Ten. I personally think his trajectory will look alot like that of McConnell last year, with him getting his feet wet in Nov/Dec. and then getting more playing time as the year progresses. I don't currently think he will "start" at any point this year. But if his development is faster than I think, then the minutes of Mathis, Young, and McConnell will suffer.

Reactions: Goku
I think we are done for '19-'20. And if someone is added I would guess it is a sit out transfer or redshirt. Most teams don't have 13 "active" kids on 'ship.

Would love to see us add a “young, not yet matured” hs kid of about 6’8” and still growing who we could redshirt.

These are fun. I'll take a stab:

PG: Young (20), Mulcahy (13), Geo (6), McConnell (1)
2G: Geo (24), Mathis (16)
WF: Harper (24) McConnell (16)
PF: Eugene (24), Yeboah (16)
C: Myles (18), Doucoure (10), Carter (10), Eugene (2)

Geo (30)
Eugene (26)
Harper (24)
Young (20)
Myles (18)
McConnell (17)
Mathis (16)
Yeboah (16)
Mulcahy (13)
Doucoure (10)
Carter (10)

Yeboah is not transferring here to play 16 minutes.

Yeboah is not transferring here to play 16 minutes.

I hear you. I happen to think he is the 7th best player (maybe 8th) on our ‘19-‘20 team and those are the minutes I believe the 7th best player will get. Time will tell. You need to earn minutes here. Didn’t used to. Think Shaq Carter transferred here to battle for 10-15 minutes? Eugene is a stud and I really like what I saw from Harper, McConnell and Mathis. Go get your minutes. That’s why we keep getting better. I hope Yeboah earns 20 or 22 minutes. As I wrote at the top of my post “ These are fun”.

Last edited:
Since people are having fun with minutes in this and the other thread, how would you match up with this projected Purdue line-up? This is w/o incoming frosh or transfers .
Harms - C (7'3")
Williams - PF (6'9")
Wheeler - SF (6'9")
Eastern - PG (6'6")
Stephanovic - SG (6'4")

This is my line-up:
Myles
Gene
Yeboah
Harper
Geo

This is a money post...

and my answer
baker
mathis
harper
yeboah
gene

Harms has to defend Eugene AND Williams is 20 feet from basket guarding Yeboah?

Is Eastern really a PG?

If he gets 16 minutes now, there isn't much he can do about it. Part of recruiting is to tell the player anything necessary to get his commitment.

NO! NO!
Not the Pike way.

Pike will treat these kids like he wants his kids to be treated like.

Pike is a good dude. He is all class all the time. Even when no one is watching.

NO! NO!
Not the Pike way.

Pike will treat these kids like he wants his kids to be treated like.

Pike is a good dude. He is all class all the time. Even when no one is watching.
Have you ever been recruited for any sport on the college level? As good as Pike is, all coaches bend the truth to get the response he needs to be successful.

Let me tell a little story about a kid who was being recruited by the University of Colorado. This kid stood around 6'2 and weighed 220. He made it clear he wanted to stay at safety, and that's what CU recruited his as. I had a short conversation with one of the cool grad assistants about this kid. I asked if the kid was going to stay at safety. The GA said the kid thinks that, but his meal ticket is as LB. The kid committed to CU but never saw a day at safety. The kid started for 2 and a half years at outside LB. I felt Coach Mac was one of the most straight up and honest coaches around, but he did what he had to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT