ADVERTISEMENT

US News World Report College Rankings by Conference

SoCal_Knight

Freshman
Jun 9, 2020

RU is #6 in B10 and #40 overall. TJ Altimore includes UCLA, USC, OR and WA in B10.

NW #9
UCLA #15
Michigan #21
USC #28
Illinois #35
Wisconsin #35
Washington #40
Rutgers #40
OSU #43
Purdue #43
MD #46
Minn #53
MSU #60
PSU #60
Indiana #73
Oregon #98
Nebraska #159

Last edited:
I realize it was obvious, but adding Stanford and Cal really boosts the ACC's academic profile. They match up very well now with the B1G academically, especially when you consider that Altimore's chart includes Hopkins in the B1G.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Tony Altimore went to USC (with an MBA from Wharton), so that's why he already moved USC to the Big Ten!

Fair points. ACC also counts ND though.
I thought about that Arizona, but ND is more of an ACC member than Hopkins is a B1G member. I thought Hopkins might be a member of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, but it appears they are not, just lacrosse. I suppose we could also claim ND because they're in the B1G ice hockey conference 🙂

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I realize it was obvious, but adding Stanford and Cal really boosts the ACC's academic profile. They match up very well now with the B1G academically, especially when you consider that Altimore's chart includes Hopkins in the B1G.
And both the ACC and B1G have complete sore thumbs at the bottom with Louisville and Nebraska respectively. Welp both conferences have valid arguing points as to who is the 2nd best academic conference behind the Ivy League at this point.

Reactions: Skull83
And both the ACC and B1G have complete sore thumbs at the bottom with Louisville and Nebraska respectively. Welp both conferences have valid arguing points as to who is the 2nd best academic conference behind the Ivy League at this point.
The B1G did their due diligence and decided not to include Stanford and Cal, at least at this point (I suspect they may have still been on the radar for the future), i get it and am OK with that, but man, strictly from an academic prestige standpoint, it would have been nice to have them!

No one with half a brain puts any stock in such subjective rankings only meant to sell subscriptions or get clicks.

Quality differs for every student and every university education can be leveraged to achieve individualized success.

And on top of that, within every university there are colleges with entirely different metrics. Blending them for a composite ranking is ridiculously flawed and unconvincing.

No one with half a brain puts any stock in such subjective rankings only meant to sell subscriptions or get clicks.

Quality differs for every student and every university education can be leveraged to achieve individualized success.

And on top of that, within every university there are colleges with entirely different metrics. Blending them for a composite ranking is ridiculously flawed and unconvincing.

Still cool to be #40.

We're tied with Tufts and University of Washington @ #40 nationally and #15 in public universities. Isn't that a good thing for RU? If you don't like the specific criteria that USNWR is using then call that out and lets have a discussion. I just don't understand when people make broad generalizations and complain just to complain. The world is so complex so we should just do nothing attitude since we'll never get it right. (This post is directed @ Shelby and those fans that don't like nice things like membership in the B10, better college rankings and improved MBB and RU FB teams!)

Shelby is 100% in favor of B10 membership, further expansion, and competitive teams (which is why he’s anti-Schiano and pro-Pikiell), so let’s get that out of the way. He enjoys seeing national brands play at SHI and JMA.

But back to the issue. What’s the best exoplanet ? The best color ? Is Walmart better than Target ?

The idea of an ordinal ranking of ‘best universities’ is ridiculous and misleading.

Schools tout favorable rankings to influence the uninformed without any care that their ranks often are either blind luck due to arbitrary metric weighting or a result of gaming the surveys.

There’s a movement among top professional schools to cease participating in annual surveys.

Shelby doesn’t buy that UCSD is better than Rutgers, or that Rutgers is better than Rhode Island. Better for who ? Every student is different.

Last edited:

Can't like this enough...

Was Florida always ranked so high? I went to a party in Gainesville in 2000 and it just seemed like a bunch of dunderheads there. Anecdotal I know.

Also why is Wisconsin so high? My east coast bias showing through but Wisconsin isn’t a state I think of much.

Shelby is 100% in favor of B10 membership, further expansion, and competitive teams (which is why he’s anti-Schiano and pro-Pikiell), so let’s get that out of the way. He enjoys seeing national brands play at SHI and JMA.

But back to the issue. What’s the best exoplanet ? The best color ? Is Walmart better than Target ?

The idea of an ordinal ranking of ‘best universities’ is ridiculous and misleading.

Schools tout favorable rankings to influence the uninformed without any care that their ranks often are either blind luck due to arbitrary metric weighting or a result of gaming the surveys.

There’s a movement among top professional schools to cease participating in annual surveys.

Shelby doesn’t buy that UCSD is better than Rutgers, or that Rutgers is better than Rhode Island. Better for who ? Every student is different.
Referring to yourself in the 3rd person?

100% true for the trees. But there are still forests to consider.

When my son choose Rowan and my daughter choose Stockton I got it and had no issue with it. ( But I still bust on them at Thanksgiving from time to time :).

Reactions: bigmatt718
The entire premise comparing academic strength based on arbitrary and flawed metrics is ridiculous.

While we are at it, let’s determine whether Alabama or Mississippi is a warmer state by holding a tennis racquet high in the air and feeling the heat conduction at the leather grip. It makes no sense at all.

Reactions: Fat Koko
The entire premise comparing academic strength based on arbitrary and flawed metrics is ridiculous.

While we are at it, let’s determine whether Alabama or Mississippi is a warmer state by holding a tennis racquet high in the air and feeling the heat conduction at the leather grip. It makes no sense at all.

Uncle.

Seriously, What are the arbitrary and flawed metrics? I don't know their model as you seem to so please share?

I'm somewhat in your camp but your analogy seems rather ridiculous.

Arbitrary weighting of different measures and blending of student metrics across different schools of varying size and selectivity within a university.

Rutgers NB big rise and the rise of the other 2 Rutgers universities into the top 100 are from increased weighting of DEI stats. How to quantify quality improvement from that, for example ? 1) DEI isn’t accurately collected 2) what should university diversity be weighted ? 5 % ? 20 ?

The formula is completely arbitrary.

The analogy is that neither the academic quality or the tennis racquet thermometer measurements are valid.

I think Dr Pepper is 26% better than Cherry Pepsi. Do you ?

Last edited:

Is there a correct way to judge?

Shelby is getting upset.

• Haha
Reactions: SoCal_Knight
This is for Shelby since he loves college rankings. Forbes best public universities has Rutgers @ # 17 for 2023. Another data point for him to get upset about.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Every parent I know that has kids in high school are looking at these ranking systems - not to make final decisions but to get information as to where you decide to apply to. So hundreds of thousands of parents like me must be idiots. Any person that speaks about himself in the 3rd person is......I'll leave it up to others to fill in the blanks.

This is for Shelby - UCSD is quantitatively better than RU and RU is quantitatively better than Rhode Island. Based on admission rates, GPAs, based on average incomes after 10 years. These are objective indicia.

Reactions: Scangg
Every parent I know that has kids in high school are looking at these ranking systems - not to make final decisions but to get information as to where you decide to apply to. So hundreds of thousands of parents like me must be idiots. Any person that speaks about himself in the 3rd person is......I'll leave it up to others to fill in the blanks.
Do the research. Most of the top law and med schools aren’t participating in surveys anymore for the reasons Shelby says.

Sure, people eat up rankings. Top 10 guitarists, top beaches, etc. kids use rankings to decide where to apply. I get it.

But it’s all subjective. College rankings are bs.

This is for Shelby - UCSD is quantitatively better than RU and RU is quantitatively better than Rhode Island. Based on admission rates, GPAs, based on average incomes after 10 years. These are objective indicia.
not after arbitrarily weighting each. Rutgers got a big boost this year for increased weighting of diversity. What’s the correct weighting of that ?

Plus, you can’t objectively blend the metrics of the multiple schools within a university. How much should pharmacy metrics count? Is engineering more important than business ? Does Sociology strength matter to an English major ?

Car & Driver publishes Best Car ranks every year based on multiple variables. The performance measurements may be objective but the data blending erases that.

Rankings just reflect subjective views of the surveyors via their own formulas. If you don’t get that obvious fact…maybe stop posting about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: zebnatto

USNWR changed their criteria which boosted many state schools:
- removed class size (which benefits smaller schools)
- removed alumni giving (which benefits smaller schools)
- less weight to graduation rates and financial resources per student

As a result, the privates went down and the public universities improved under their new criteria.

Show me one iota of evidence that Diversity or DEI is part of their new formula. You obviously have a political agenda you are pushing.

Reactions: SteveVA2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT