ADVERTISEMENT

VanBrill listed at 157

So if seabass goes 41 are you saying Alvarez goes 33 or does he join the pack at 49? If he goes 33 does he beat Raimo Remember Raimo is a hs 3x finalist 2x state champ l, but… hasn’t wrestled since 2018. Sammy mite be in a bad spot.

So if seabass goes 41 are you saying Alvarez goes 33 or does he join the pack at 49? If he goes 33 does he beat Raimo Remember Raimo is a hs 3x finalist 2x state champ l, but… hasn’t wrestled since 2018. Sammy mite be in a bad spot.
I don't think Sammy can make 133 any longer, but if he does he is much better than Raimo. I think some fans are thinking of Raimo from HS......so far his college career has been underwhelming.
Lets face it SeaBass weight really determines the fate of the team(in dual meets). If he goes 141, it is possible that we are a little weak at 133, and we know that we will struggle at 165. Hard to win duals against good teams if going in we are going to lose 2 weights.
Also, if Seabass goes 141 then what to do with Sammy? Redshirt? Or go 149 and challenge Van Brill? Thats why the coaches get paid the big bucks.

K
I don't think Sammy can make 133 any longer, but if he does he is much better than Raimo. I think some fans are thinking of Raimo from HS......so far his college career has been underwhelming.
Lets face it SeaBass weight really determines the fate of the team(in dual meets). If he goes 141, it is possible that we are a little weak at 133, and we know that we will struggle at 165. Hard to win duals against good teams if going in we are going to lose 2 weights.
Also, if Seabass goes 141 then what to do with Sammy? Redshirt? Or go 149 and challenge Van Brill? Thats why the coaches get paid the big bucks.
Agree Rivera is the key. If he can get to 33 it makes the lineup better. Don’t think Sammy sees 33 after last year. I think Sammy beats Raimo but not a given if he’s cutting a ton.

Reactions: Leonard23
I think Sammy tries to go 133 and Seabass 141. As I said this is September and all intentions are good and admirable. Let’s see where we are in November. What you will see from the coaches is that the best guys will represent us on the mat.

• Sad
I think Sammy tries to go 133 and Seabass 141. As I said this is September and all intentions are good and admirable. Let’s see where we are in November. What you will see from the coaches is that the best guys will represent us on the mat.
Plz no Sammy don’t try to go 133 again…. He couldn’t even make weight last year for the ncaa.. it’s too risky/tough to make 133 again… much rather see him compete at 49 or maybe even try to bulk up to 157…. Not 133

I'll repost from earlier. I think my biggest exposure is 149.

125 - Shawver/Peterson
133 - Raimo
141 - Rivera/Alverez
149 - Aragona (going out on a limb here)
157 - Van Brill/Kanniard
165 - Kanniard/Clark
174 - Turley
184 - Poznanski (duh)/Janzer
197 - Bulsak/Janzer
HWY - McDermott/Esposito

• Haha
Plz no Sammy don’t try to go 133 again…. He couldn’t even make weight last year for the ncaa.. it’s too risky/tough to make 133 again… much rather see him compete at 49 or maybe even try to bulk up to 157…. Not 133
Don’t do it Sammy! Gotta hold it for the year. But hey you do you. You know better than we do.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
I said last year(before the season started) that Alvarez was too big for 133(could not make weight with big allowance at Mobbin event) and he wrestled in the freestyle tourn at 65kg with a 2kg allowance, and he was bigger than most. He has a redshirt available.......but in my opinion, he is one of the most talented wrestlers on the team. If he wants to go 149 and not redshirt, he will take the spot from VanBrill. But sometimes coaches say hey this is our best lineup and "force" a wrestler to go a certain weight. If Alvarez goes 133... in my opinion it will be a waste of a year(as he will not be a top wrestler due to the huge weight pull). As WNG said it is still early, hopefully by early November our best lineup will be out there.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I'll repost from earlier. I think my biggest exposure is 149.

125 - Shawver/Peterson
133 - Raimo
141 - Rivera/Alverez
149 - Aragona (going out on a limb here)
157 - Van Brill/Kanniard
165 - Kanniard/Clark
174 - Turley
184 - Poznanski (duh)/Janzer
197 - Bulsak/Janzer
HWY - McDermott/Esposito
Ya think? No need to pretend to go out on a limb. I probably have a better shot at winning lotto than JoJo going 149. Have you not watched the past season or read any posts here? MVB is at 149. Overall, that lineup is not as strong as it could be if SeaBass was at 33 and Alvarez at 41, but I can't fault SeaBass for not wanting to cut that much, as it's brutal.
Took the words right out of my mouth Bill ...you can take that to the bank. No one going up to 149 or down to 157 are gonna take out either ...
Alvarez can't beat MVB? I may be more concerned now with seeing this in a few places.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Intermat has Seabass ranked at 133 for some reason… I think he musta said in an interview he was going to try to make 33 but that was months ago….

At 133 Seabass’s biggest threats would be RBY, Fix, Desanto….. maybe Suriano😳??

At 141 Seabass’s biggest threats would be Eirman and Nick Lee (T. Wilson moves up to 149).
2-0 vs RBY
Suriano going to 125
Never wrestled Fix, Desanto, or Eirmann
0-2 vs Nick Lee

Reactions: KidDagger
Don’t think it’s fair to say Alvarez can’t still make 133. Last year was weird. The team would wrestle, then not wrestle. Then wrestle, then not wrestle. You take a wrestler off his routine, couple it with the general inability to leave your house, and then sprinkle in potential mental health concerns (not necessarily suggesting this affected Alvarez but a lot of people across the country went through it) and you have a potential recipe for disaster. Alvarez should still be held accountable for his inability to make weight last year, but I don’t think it’s necessarily indicative of what to expect this year.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Ya think? No need to pretend to go out on a limb. I probably have a better shot at winning lotto than JoJo going 149. Have you not watched the past season or read any posts here? MVB is at 149. Overall, that lineup is not as strong as it could be if SeaBass was at 33 and Alvarez at 41, but I can't fault SeaBass for not wanting to cut that much, as it's brutal.
Yup, I think. Good luck with the lotto. Yes, I've been reading. Did you read Messner's potential grouping with JoJo at 149? And yes, I did notice that Van Brill was and still is at 149. Despite his moments of brilliance, he's never been more than a .500 wrestler. There are guys that do very well against teammates in wrestle-offs but not as well in competition. I think that's why Goodale has in the past not always considered just wrestle-offs.

I'm pretty sure that these posts are personal opinions and not likely to be agreed on. I'm okay with other people's opinions and will appreciate the same consideration. I don't understand the pretend comment but my limb tells me to give JoJo the benefit of the doubt. I'm expecting a recruit with his credentials to be able to beat a .500 wrestler in his third year with the program. My limb may very well be wrong.

My predicted line-up is not to provide the most competitive but to say what I think is most probable. Sure, we would all like to have Rivera and Sammy as a one-two punch but I think that will be doubtful. Just an opinion. You're welcome to your own.

By the way, Leonard, I like you much better now that you're using words in sentences.

Seabass 141 maybe cert 133. Alvarez tries for 133 if he can't make it look for him to redshirt.

Alvarez trying for 33 is a bad idea.. guess what happened last year isn’t evident enough… not to mention 33 is a very tough weight… Sammy would have a better shot to be AA at 41 or 49 imo

Alvarez can't beat MVB? I may be more concerned now with seeing this in a few places.
I think Sammy can win. I think Bulsak and Rivera are locks. Every other weight class will be decide in the room and sending them to tournaments.

Big Difference between Kyonte and Peterson....one is on a wrestling scholarship the other on a Football Scholarship....why would we talk about Kyonte in the pre-season when the earliest he will start wrestling practice is Dec(assuming no bowl game) and if Schiano agrees to let him practice this season.
Kyonte will join the team when football is over….. The reason we signed with Rutgers was because they would allow him to do both sports……

Kyonte will join the team when football is over….. The reason we signed with Rutgers was because they would allow him to do both sports……
Yea I meant it as Schiano can be persuasive to try and get Kyonte to stay with football and workout with them. As a huge RU wrestling fan, I want Kyonte as a full time wrestler!!! Super glad he is here and hoping we get to see him on the mats!

That's good to hear, sir. I've been concerned since he went heavyweight and that he'll be joining the team already in season and without having wrestled. I do hope to see him do well.

Alvarez trying for 33 is a bad idea.. guess what happened last year isn’t evident enough… not to mention 33 is a very tough weight… Sammy would have a better shot to be AA at 41 or 49 imo
Alvarez last year with covid he wasn't discipline. He didn't outgrow 133 during the season he let his weight get out of control. Not sure if he's outgrown it yet but I think he tries to make it

Rivera chooses his weight class, Alverez chooses what's left. There were reports of his weight last year varying from 20 to 30 pounds over. I hope he doesn't have to lose as much as 20 pounds if he goes 133.

Rivera chooses his weight class, Alverez chooses what's left. There were reports of his weight last year varying from 20 to 30 pounds over. I hope he doesn't have to lose as much as 20 pounds if he goes 133.
Dropping 20 pounds is about average. You don’t want to be 20 pounds over in the middle of a season but if he’s weighing 155ish right now, it wouldn’t be a very difficult cut to 133 as long as he stays disciplined. I’m sure his cut has already begun as well.

I have been somewhat surprised by the lack of controversy and critical discussion that's been missing on exactly how the whole Alavarez missing weight situation played out. For the most part fans have been very understanding, which is a bit of fresh air.

He basically said he just packed it in and decided he didn't want to do it. Hopefully, with an additional year of maturity and new found purpose (his words) its' something he finds worthwhile going forward, but I'd prefer him to not be at 133. Have to assume however difficult it was for him last year, it would be even more difficult this season.

For all those worrying about where is JoJo, he was at the RU wrestling tailgate with a pretty little dark hair girlfriend. Talked to him and he is going at 149 this year. For all of you weight conscious folks he weights 167 right now. Most of the team was at the tailgate. Poz is a very good looking young man and O’Donnell is a very big heavy

For all those worrying about where is JoJo, he was at the RU wrestling tailgate with a pretty little dark hair girlfriend. Talked to him and he is going at 149 this year. For all of you weight conscious folks he weights 167 right now. Most of the team was at the tailgate. Poz is a very good looking young man and O’Donnell is a very big heavy
Good to hear, Bill, thank you for that information. I would like to think he has been working very hard in the gym to compensate for the larger, stronger competition. I remember some saying it was a strength issue when he got stuck on bottom.

Great day for tailgating!!! Bill it's always a pleasure seeing you and coach.
125- Shawver, Peterson
133- Alvarez, Raimo, Rivera(Certify Weight)
141-Rivera, Alvarez
149-MVB, JoJo
157-Kannaird, Angelo, White
165-Clark, Angelo, O'Neill(Needs to Certify)
174=Turley, Janzer
184-Poz, Janzer
197-Bulsak
HWT- Esposito, McDermott

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT