ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball VIDEO: Steve Pikiell Media Day

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ

Here's a couple notes from the presser and I’ll add the full video soon.

Pike on Jersey recruiting: “We want kids that want to be here in New Jersey, kids that want to play for me, and I think we will build something special here.”

Steve Pikiell on 2018-19 improvements: “We got better every year and I think we are going to take that jump again this year.”

Pikiell on scoring: “In scrimmages a lot of our offense is out scoring our defense recently.”

Last edited:
Reactions: dkostus and Scangg
Very positive vibes from Pikiell. He’s doing a great job of selling the program. I still think we’ll take our lumps this year, but I expect to see a fundamentally sound team that plays extremely hard. Good times are coming in the next few years. Never thought I’d be this optimistic after the Hill, Rice & Jordan debacles.

It's picked up since EJ, but not even close enough to be able to get out of the bottom tier of the conference.

It's too bad that Sanders didn't stay one more season
I guess it's 5 star/ top 50 or bust for you then? Either that or you aren't paying attention

I always think that if you could be good in sales, you would make a great coach.

Pikiell sells this program every chance he gets. Always great to see another person at the top represent the university in a positive light.

Harper is going to "play a lot". I wonder what this actually means in terms of minutes.

Harper is going to "play a lot". I wonder what this actually means in terms of minutes.
I wonder if he meant, “play alot” as in over his 4 years rather than just this year. Harper needs to still tone up and shed some baby fat, hes raw but has a HUGE ceiling.

I wonder if he meant, “play alot” as in over his 4 years rather than just this year. Harper needs to still tone up and shed some baby fat, hes raw but has a HUGE ceiling.
I was wondering if he meant this season or over his career as well. I was hoping over his career was a given and he meant this season. I think he will at minimum be an instant offense spark off the bench hitting some threes. His cardio should be good enough to play in short stints at least

I was wondering if he meant this season or over his career as well. I was hoping over his career was a given and he meant this season. I think he will at minimum be an instant offense spark off the bench hitting some threes. His cardio should be good enough to play in short stints at least

I think Harper Jr will play at least 12mpg this year.I could see him playing behind Eugene on certain matchups to add another scoring threat to the court.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
This team will shoot 35-40% from 3 this year with the shooters on this team between Geo, Issa, RHJ, and Kiss. I think McConnell and Mathis are more slashers than shooters, not that they can't hit a couple 3s a game on occasion.

This team will shoot 35-40% from 3 this year with the shooters on this team between Geo, Issa, RHJ, and Kiss. I think McConnell and Mathis are more slashers than shooters, not that they can't hit a couple 3s a game on occasion.

If Rutgers can somehow get 3 or 4 guys in that 35 to 40 Percent range on 3's that would be great. Last year we had 2 and Issa Thaim passed up a lot of open shots....he needs to think like a gunslinger and I think he will as a Junior....just a hunch.

Last edited:
Is Harper really only 6'6"? I thought he was more like 6'7 or 6'8
His Dad said he was still growing and could reach 6'8", which has resulted in one of the most obnoxious running jokes on the board about whether or not guys this age are still growing. But the kid has the shoe size and wing span of a guy that would normally be 6'10", so his Dad may be right.

Reactions: Scangg
Coach expressed alot of positives, however, we may need to be patient with our defense with so many newcomers. Hopefully, they learn quickly because this programs' identity has been about rebounding/defense. Coach Young will be hounding these kids on executing on the defensive end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT