ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech game, Sat., 9/21 - anyone thinking of going?

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
Yeah, we've got a ways to go before the season, but I'm kicking it around as I can stay in C-ville before and after the game. Figured I'd see if anyone has given any thought to this.

Yeah, we've got a ways to go before the season, but I'm kicking it around as I can stay in C-ville before and after the game. Figured I'd see if anyone has given any thought to this.
How far is C-Ville from Blacksburg?

I’ve been researching. Hotels in town aren’t cheap, as far as I’ve seen.

Roanoke is ~45 min away if you're willing to drive a bit
That may be the best bet, but I wonder if Roanoke fills up too on game weekends. Beautiful part of the country, but I'm good sticking with home games for now.

Anyone know if they have much of a tailgate scene down there?

Over 2 hrs.

Eh, I interviewed down there before we returned to Jersey: did the trip in roughly 2 hours, maybe a hair less.

Stay in Blacksburg Spank, or at a minimum Chambersburg

Great college town and they do it nice the night before and gameday itself

Great spot in the downturn area for dinner we ate at, it’s an old hose turned restaurant awesome vibe & food

Top of the Stairs (Tots) is the main bar on (or literally 2 seconds off) campus

Solid tailgate scene
Make sure you’re in for Sandman - it’s legit

Endzone club seats are cheap ish is you want club otherwise most sideline is good view but no seat backs

Been three times and never came away disappointed

Reactions: RULegacy
Hotel prices in town are insane. I booked one in Roanoke using points.

I went to a couple of our games in the graber era (93 and 94)…and it was fun then …but in the middle of no where

CAUTION…can see this being moved to a Thursday night espn game

Highly advised, staying in town, bite the bullet, and go with a few people to split the room or use points

There’s a Marriott right next to campus, which is phenomenal, or stay in Chambersburg, which is like 5 miles away

Great, great scene and great vibe
You will not regret making the trip

Highly advised, staying in town, bite the bullet, and go with a few people to split the room or use points

There’s a Marriott right next to campus, which is phenomenal, or stay in Chambersburg, which is like 5 miles away

I think you mean Christiansburg?

Those staying in Roanoke and points north, know that traffic on US460 and I-81 northbound after a game is killller

Reactions: RULegacy

Looks like the 2 Marriott's (Residence Inn & Courtyard) in town are both sold out for the Fri-Sun weekend. Christiansburg one is as well.

Last edited:
Last time there we rented a private residence early 2000’s late 90’s . Buddy arranged. Looking on air bnb there are plenty of options in the 100-350/ night range. Depending on size of apartment/ house.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It’s a 7 hour drive.
Take the western route through PA, VA and the Shenandoah Valley…. It’s a nice ride

Ageee with everything written above.

Great ride, beautiful part of the country and great game day experience.
That sounds good, but for those of us living in Monmouth/Ocean, going through PA would be a long detour? Or take 70 West at Baltimore to 81 South?

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Last time there we rented a private residence early 2000’s late 90’s . Buddy arranged. Looking on air bnb there are plenty of options in the 100-350/ night range. Depending on size of apartment/ house.
Looking into that now to meet up with a Va Tech and a nice Syracuse fan.

Stay in Blacksburg Spank, or at a minimum Chambersburg

Nah, my oldest is living in my maw in law's house outside of Charlottesville while attending UVA, so I'll drive down a day or two before to spend some time with him. Then we'll shoot down to the game.

That sounds good, but for those of us living in Monmouth/Ocean, going through PA would be a long detour? Or take 70 West at Baltimore to 81 South?

For those of us in the northern part of the state, that basically involves getting to 78 west, taking that into PA, then catching 81 south. I would guess this is more of a detour if you're coming from southern or south-central Jersey.

Reactions: Knight Shift
For those of us in the northern part of the state, that basically involves getting to 78 west, taking that into PA, then catching 81 south. I would guess this is more of a detour if you're coming from southern or south-central Jersey.

You can take I95 to 276 (which becomes 176 which becomes 76) to 81 south, that adds like 20-25 miles but is almost as fast. Go figure.

Looks like the 2 Marriott's (Residence In & Courtyard) in town are both sold out for the Fri-Sun weekend. Chambersburg one is as well.
Keep checking, chances are rooms will open up closer to game day

Also call them if you can get put on the waitlist

Nah, my oldest is living in my maw in law's house outside of Charlottesville while attending UVA, so I'll drive down a day or two before to spend some time with him. Then we'll shoot down to the game.
Love Charlottesville
Beautiful country & campus

I will be there. My eldest son is a Hokie and we were at our place this year. He is looking forward to returning the favor in September.

Yes, planning to go.
No specific plans yet.
A good venue, college town and tailgate scene from my recollection. Though it has been a while.
I have driven and flown into Roanoke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT