ADVERTISEMENT

VT game day experience as reported by VT podcasts

ru66

Heisman Winner
Jul 28, 2001
Was interesting to listen to several post game reports by VT "experts". To a man they all were very impressed with the tail gating, the stadium atmosphere, etc. They even said they haven't seen that type of atmosphere in years at ACC games. The interesting part was seeing how wrong other fan bases are about RU's fans and their devotion. It's something we've seem for years from uninformed NJ residents.

Hilarious that they designate an entire section to the train horn and the horn operator. They break it down to train horn/minute.

Ed Wiiliams "Worst stadium bit I have ever seen anywhere across all sports!"
And an additional comment about Joe Nolans ridiculous third down call.

It's almost like they have been on this board.

not true even on this podcast the main guy liked it--also even other podcasts on youtube loved the experience--search them out
Dude relisten. He said the sheer volume of it was ridiculous and only deferred to Nolan's asinine 3rd down call as being the worst of the worst. He said if he had to pick what was worse he would take Nolan over the train horn. It's clear as day all three thought it was obnoxious and put those two as the worst.

I think we have a great experience and the Yellow lot tailgating is right up there with any in the nation. Using the horn once in a while is fine, but blasting it on and off after, well, anything is too much. And Nolan's 3rd down call is really bad and stupid. They hit it right on the head with what we've been saying.

Last edited:
That was a great watch. We have a fabulous tailgate scene and given our record of the last several years we have a loyal group of fans. Good to see that is is recognized by visiting fans - too bad we have so many a-holes on this board who to take every opportunity to trash this program.

Funny, it must be different depending on where you sit in the stadium.
I’m in 128 and yes I am aware of the horn, but it doesn’t seem too dominant over everything else.
I have noticed that there is so much of a cacaphony going on all game long that It’s hard to even notice the cannon anymore.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan and RW90
Was interesting to listen to several post game reports by VT "experts". To a man they all were very impressed with the tail gating, the stadium atmosphere, etc. They even said they haven't seen that type of atmosphere in years at ACC games. The interesting part was seeing how wrong other fan bases are about RU's fans and their devotion. It's something we've seem for years from uninformed NJ residents.
I know it won't happen but I'd gladly swap Virginia (if the rumors end up being true at some point) for V Tech. Good fans, good history of talented players, and until recently really good football in general. In some other dimension we are in the same league and I wouldn't mind it.

Funny, it must be different depending on where you sit in the stadium.
I’m in 128 and yes I am aware of the horn, but it doesn’t seem too dominant over everything else.
I have noticed that there is so much of a cacaphony going on all game long that It’s hard to even notice the cannon anymore.
North end zone - terrible

Reactions: RW90 and rurichdog
Huh? It's played on every third down and when we make a big play, plus when we score. And it's not just once, it's on/off, on/off, on/off during that stretch.
Exactly. There was one 4th down when the operator decided to play the train horn no less than five (5) times in a row. I found myself more concerned about counting the number of consecutive blasts, then making noise to support our team which would have been drowned out anyways. The level of crowd noise has noticeably gotten lower on 3rd/4th downs in general, once they started playing the train horn on 3rd/4th downs instead of just after scores (which would be fine, before or after the cannon).

Make no mistake, other sections may not notice as much but in the north end zone it was painfully loud. And that's coming from someone who works in construction and around trains...

Not a train horn guy but I do like the railroad crossing ding when we make a stop on 3rd down to force 4th.

Case in point ,RU gets great reviews but we have "fans" that need to complain. Geez , can't we ever just enjoy the positives .

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Case in point ,RU gets great reviews but we have "fans" that need to complain. Geez , can't we ever just enjoy the positives .
The horn is a legit complaint for some, including those who gave the reviews as was pointed out more than once in the thread.

But it is nice to see outsiders understand how good we have it on gameday.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
oddly enough, the domain rutgershornlitigation.com is still available.

I appreciated the skittles.

Hokie perception of game day experience

Interestingly they loved the DJ. Loved the Boardwalk.

Insightful comment on the Boardwalk “They have effectively bridged the gap between ‘I want to bring my kids there’ to ‘I want to go there myself’”

Hated the train horn sound. LOL

Last edited:
Train horn is so over used and annoying.
And it’s not even unique

They need to pull way back on train horn. Use it for touchdowns and maybe an occasional AFTER a huge stop on 3rd or 4th down.

Using it before 3rd downs is stupid. Let the band do their thing. Or even the overplayed stupid Metallica thing.

Reactions: RW90
This younger group of podcasters were not around for the 1992-2003 original Big East football stretch between these two programs. They seemed pleasantly surprised by the gameday experience but probably just due to not having personally attended a Rutgers game since the last one vs VT held in Piscataway was 20 years ago.

We know the Rutgers football tailgating scene certainly isn't a new-ish phenomenon or a post-B1G joining thing or anything like that. Some really strong tailgating around these parts even if the more recent pre-game, gameday experience/attractions were not present and the football was less than stellar. We've never really lacked a solid tailgating scene because its sets up naturally for it in many of the lots around the stadium.

Every time I bring a new guy to our tailgate they wonder why Rutgers doesn't do more to publicize the great experience that is happening at home games in Piscataway.

Reactions: RU848789
We might as well at this point just use the horn for every down, play, or situation. Eliminate the DJ and all other sounds. Just let the horn do its thing from start to finish. That's how the use of the horn has been evolving anyway.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT