ADVERTISEMENT

Wachtel on Carino's Podcast re: BTT and RU

First of all NW would be Q2 so arguably not even that damaging. Nebraska getting to us and beating us is like a 2% possibility (40% chance of beating us*, a 20% chance of beating Iowa, a 30% chance of beating NW)

*I inflated this number because if they do beat NW and Iowa then there will be some real meat on their hot streak

Hell if Nebraska reeled off those three wins they might be knocking on the Q2 door themselves.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
First of all NW would be Q2 so arguably not even that damaging. Nebraska getting to us and beating us is like a 2% possibility (40% chance of beating us*, a 20% chance of beating Iowa, a 30% chance of beating NW)

*I inflated this number because if they do beat NW and Iowa then there will be some real meat on their hot streak
Why would you give Nebraska playing its 3rd game in 3 days a better chance to beat us than NW?

Why would you give Nebraska playing its 3rd game in 3 days a better chance to beat us than NW?
I haven't watched any of their wins but my presumption is they're doing something differently than they were in mid-January. The NW number I just grabbed from KenPom. I inflated their % against us to prove the point that even if I was generous with that it's still a very unlikely situation to come to fruition.

Making the NCAAs is Priority 1, 2, and 3. A Big Ten Championship would be unbelievable (to quote Pike) but first things first. Nebraska and Northwestern can compete. They've shown that but no one is going to care if we lose to them. We'd be out. Nebraska just won three straight. Blew out Penn State and beat Ohio State and Wisconsin. Yes, I'd be worried about losing to them if it meant missing the NCAAs.

if we are worried about losing to a 13 seeded then maybe we should just decline the ncaa invite because our fans cannot cope
i liked your post...so I mostly agree...but I think a big part of the "fear" is most fans believing we've already done ENOUGH...and that this wacked out system of punishing teams for losing to worse teams being >>> beating better teams, could scuttle this monumental comeback train we're riding.

my point: I get the angst.

but, we need to play who we play, and continue to prove people wrong.

lmfao...why are you people afraid of playing Nebraska or Northwestern..what the hell is wrong with people
Prior game against Nebraska, our Q3Q4 record, and Nebraskas current form probably have to do with this line of thinking and is perfectly reasonable to want to avoid the game because of it. No different than rooting against other bubble teams every single night for the last two weeks…

i liked your post...so I mostly agree...but I think a big part of the "fear" is most fans believing we've already done ENOUGH...and that this wacked out system of punishing teams for losing to worse teams being >>> beating better teams, could scuttle this monumental comeback train we're riding.

my point: I get the angst.

but, we need to play who we play, and continue to prove people wrong.

its their third game in 3 days...we are overthinking Nebraska. Iowa is the hottest team in league yet people are fearing Nebraska I dont get it and remember Iowa just beat them not long ago 98-75

Prior game against Nebraska, our Q3Q4 record, and Nebraskas current form probably have to do with this line of thinking and is perfectly reasonable to want to avoid the game because of it. No different than rooting against other bubble teams every single night for the last two weeks…

yes because Iowa should be easier to play??????????

Its a win win scenario. Iowa won't be a bad loss if we can't get it done butttttt

Who wouldn't have signed up for playing Nebraska on their 3rd game in 3 days with a shot at the B1G semis?

Bring on the huskers at that point. They should fear us. We shouldn't fear them. That would be our game there for the taking.

Its a win win scenario. Iowa won't be a bad loss if we can't get it done butttttt

Who wouldn't have signed up for playing Nebraska on their 3rd game in 3 days with a shot at the B1G semis?

Bring on the huskers at that point. They should fear us. We shouldn't fear them. That would be our game there for the taking.
And to be fair the players won’t fearthem at all, and we won’t fear Nebraska either if we play them. It’s more about hypothetically mitigating risk.

Give me Nebraska on their 3rd day straight vs. a fresh and better Iowa team.

If we beat Nebraska we are 100% in the tournament. If we can’t beat them on their 3rd game in a row then maybe we shouldn’t be in the Tournament. No reason to be scared about this game.

If we lose to Iowa then I will be sweating on selection Sunday and while I don’t think it happens, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the committee give us a snub because of that stupid model called the NET which we broke this year and clearly needs to be refreshed again.

People are still scared because of Johnny Trueblood and honestly I don't blame them

And to be fair the players won’t fearthem at all, and we won’t fear Nebraska either if we play them. It’s more about hypothetically mitigating risk.
Fortune favors the bold. I want the B1G tournament championship. I think we are locked in for a bid already. If Nebraska makes it that far they will be out of gas and prime to be beaten. Bad teams only make runs so far. 2 games in the tournament would be a massive success for Nebraska

Wachtel at this point is starting to become a bit of an alarmist....the bottom line is the media had their moments of hoping RU played in the 5 vs 12/13 or 6/11 or 14 matchup on Thursday, to create more anxiety and nonsense.

RU earned the 4 seed, period.....they are in the quarterfinals....there's nothing to really discuss for the media until them, other than a what if scenario that is so far fetched, that they think is reality.

Another Nebraska win, brings their metrics on NET from Q3 to Q2, if you won at Nebraska this year....if they get to 135 or better, it adds a Q2 win for RU....

You guys are better off playing Nebraska than Iowa. It's quite simply an easier game to win. Sure, it's not Q1 but you have enough of those already. At this point, the committee either values your Q1 wins over your NET and bad losses or they don't. If not, I don't see 1 more suddenly changing their minds. Winning your next game is far more important than who it comes against. The only slight benefit to playing Iowa is that a loss won't drop you, it'll just be a missed win.

Last edited:
Making the NCAAs is Priority 1, 2, and 3. A Big Ten Championship would be unbelievable (to quote Pike) but first things first. Nebraska and Northwestern can compete. They've shown that but no one is going to care if we lose to them. We'd be out. Nebraska just won three straight. Blew out Penn State and beat Ohio State and Wisconsin. Yes, I'd be worried about losing to them if it meant missing the NCAAs.
Disagree. Winning the next game is priority 1. Ultimately winning the conference tournament is next priority, then if selected to NCAA tournament, round 1 game is the priority and so on. Avoiding bad losses is something the team should have worried about in November. Now all focus is on this group bringing home a conference title. I am amazed there are fans that are thinking otherwise at this point.

And if making NCAA tournament is truly anyones priority 1 then you better hope for easiest path to conference championship because truly the only guarantee to make the NCAA tournament is by taking the conference title!

I would love to see a rested RU vs Nebraska on third day in a row. Remember our mini-run at the garden. It crashed as we were exhausted on Friday night.

Reactions: Scangg
its their third game in 3 days...we are overthinking Nebraska. Iowa is the hottest team in league yet people are fearing Nebraska I dont get it and remember Iowa just beat them not long ago 98-75
fair...but again, we wouldnt get punished for losing to Iowa

not agreeing with the angst...just saying I get where its coming from

Nebraska last 3:

Win at PSU
Win at OSU
Win at Wisconsin

Nobody should want to play a Quad 3 team that’s doing that lately

Iowa is actually the team swelling up despite the loss last night, RU kept them in check and they kept us in check in a 48-46 dogfight.

There is little chance we see anywhere near a repeat of that.

This is just so silly worrying about Nebraska or Iowa or any other BIG 10 team. We have beaten them all( the ones that count , the top 8) and our team fears no one. The perceived “ tougher “ game (Iowa) just gets our juices going. We have our first legitimate chance to win the BIG 10 tourney this year and that is the teams focus. I am with BAC here and have us already in as an 11 seed .

Wachtel is so metrics driven , like some but not the smarter bracketologists , he is tweeting shit comparing us to 2018 Nebraska. I called him out and called it a weak sauce tweet as he knows Nebraska beat no one that year and only 4 BIG teams made it that year and likely 8 will make it this year and we beat all the top 8 teams and 7-4 overall with 2 road victories. You cannot even make the comparison. When you factor in some of the usual logic , that the committee looks at whether we were missing anyone during that 3 game November losing streak , then missing Geo is also factored in . Don’t overthink it , let’s win the BIG 10 tourney.

You guys are better off playing Nebraska than Iowa. It's quite simply an easier game to win. Sure, it's not Q1 but you have enough of those already. At this point, the committee either values your Q1 wins over your NET and bad losses or they don't. If not, I don't see 1 more suddenly changing their minds. Winning your next game is far more important than who it comes against. The only slight benefit to playing Iowa is that a loss won't drop you, it'll just be a missed win.

exactly, we have done...the committee either disregards or net and worships it and penalizes us.

This is just so silly worrying about Nebraska or Iowa or any other BIG 10 team. We have beaten them all( the ones that count , the top 8) and our team fears no one. The perceived “ tougher “ game (Iowa) just gets our juices going. We have our first legitimate chance to win the BIG 10 tourney this year and that is the teams focus. I am with BAC here and have us already in as an 11 seed .

Wachtel is so metrics driven , like some but not the smarter bracketologists , he is tweeting shit comparing us to 2018 Nebraska. I called him out and called it a weak sauce tweet as he knows Nebraska beat no one that year and only 4 BIG teams made it that year and likely 8 will make it this year and we beat all the top 8 teams and 7-4 overall with 2 road victories. You cannot even make the comparison. When you factor in some of the usual logic , that the committee looks at whether we were missing anyone during that 3 game November losing streak , then missing Geo is also factored in . Don’t overthink it , let’s win the BIG 10 tourney.

looking back at my selections for that year, Nebraska wasnt even on my last 4 out. They were not getting in that year and everyone knew that, no wins

Reactions: gregkoko and goru7
Iowa is actually the team swelling up despite the loss last night, RU kept them in check and they kept us in check in a 48-46 dogfight.

There is little chance we see anywhere near a repeat of that.
I hate saying this but Iowa is a better loss than Nebraska which makes me less concerned about it. I guess it’s more of an upside (more likely to make semis) vs. downside (more risk in losing to 12/13) thing.

Still hoping we just win the whole thing.

looking back at my selections for that year, Nebraska wasnt even on my last 4 out. They were not getting in that year and everyone knew that, no wins
Look at this . The wonderful Joe Lunardi has come around and decided to check out BAC tology and concludes like BAC that Rutgers is an 11 seed. Wow. The power and logic of BAC prevails in Joe ‘s mind. Now the rest of you worry warts, let’s get this BIG 10 title

Reactions: bac2therac
I haven't watched any of their wins but my presumption is they're doing something differently than they were in mid-January. The NW number I just grabbed from KenPom. I inflated their % against us to prove the point that even if I was generous with that it's still a very unlikely situation to come to fruition.
Their point guard is playing out of his mind

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT