ADVERTISEMENT

Was It Just Me Or….

Ummm. When starting losing “paying” fans who support the program with $$$$ you have a major problem.
But heck you are entertaining the students. Great trade off. lmao
Students who did not show up in decent numbers.

9O2xG1W.jpeg

What would be the perfect atmosphere then? I have a read a lot of complaints, but no proposal of what would make everyone happy.
You’re never going to do that, make everyone happy.

And I don’t hate the music. Would just like it a little less loud on the volume.

Perfect to me:

Louder band (mic’ed is fine) and fans with comparable and complimentary music.

The music isn’t going anywhere. As it’s here to stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimpeg
And in Dubly.
Songs way too loud, don’t change the 3rd down Metallica song, keep Thunderstruck and everyone should be chanting “Rutgers” instead of Thunder but do t switch the song mid way as he does. I sat in 122 first game and 128 second. Def seemed way louder but of course in close the the speakers

I think our crowd may be receptive to the symphony orchestra. I am not thrilled with the music, but damn, what is everyone expecting - a Broadway show atmosphere? It's a sporting event. I actually feel they have dialed things down a bit this year. Don't remember as many Click, Click Booms last game.
My buddy and I have been keeping track each game to see who wins between Rutgers, the opponent, and Click Click Boom. CCB had a great first half in Week 1 putting up 13, but Rutgers and Howard held them to only 2 in the second half, finishing with an unusually low score of 15. CCB's scoring woes continued in Week 2 as they were held to only 1, their lowest score in many years. CCB will need to dig deep and put in the work at practice over the next few weeks as they hope to silence the naysayers and get back to their old form when Washington comes to town.

Think that there was only ONE RRRRRR UUUUUUUUU chant the entire game this past Saturday. That used to be a fun thing to get that going several times during a game.
The students started the chant after each touchdown, but there usually isn't much participation beyond the adjacent couple of sections, probably because nobody is accustomed to it anymore after years of bad play and years of the PA music preventing any opportunity for the chant to even happen for more than a couple seconds.

We've got to do better in getting students to the game
We have what, 35/40k undergrad at NB campus?
What else were they doing on a Saturday in mild weather?
Need to make the game an event - not a chore
I agree with you, but noon games have always been lightly attended, especially against a non-conference opponent. Also I wouldn't say it was mild weather, that morning the forecast said there was a chance of thunderstorms. Luckily the rain held up for the most part, but the sky was pretty ominous and it got very windy in the 2nd half.

Many factors have contributed to low student turnout--years of losing, overpolicing the lots that students used to tailgate in, excessive bag policy, the basketball team becoming a bigger source of Rutgers pride for current students, etc

We've got to do better in getting students to the game
We have what, 35/40k undergrad at NB campus?
What else were they doing on a Saturday in mild weather?
Need to make the game an event - not a chore
Measuring their wallets and wondering if they would not get in without having to walk from the South End Zone to the North End Zone to rent a locker? 😜

Fact - The noise is keeping older people away
Also fact - It's not drawing young people to the stadium
Show your work - otherwise these are your opinions. I'd bet there would be far more fans annoyed if they weren't playing loud hit song than are annoyed they're playing loud hit songs. This board is nowhere near representative of the fanbase, especially students and younger fans.

Show your work - otherwise these are your opinions. I'd bet there would be far more fans annoyed if they weren't playing loud hit song than are annoyed they're playing loud hit songs. This board is nowhere near representative of the fanbase, especially students and younger fans.
Why do you think the crowd was so sparse on Saturday.
I doubt it was the weather.

Its kept at least 5 guys from our original tailgate group away

Nobody gives a damn if the music isnt loud
Kids aren’t coming bc of that
But adults aren’t coming due to it

You really think any of those kids on Saturday in the lightly attended sparse student crowd said to one another on the way to the game “man, there is no way in hell I would be here if this music wasn’t loud as shit!!”

My buddy and I have been keeping track each game to see who wins between Rutgers, the opponent, and Click Click Boom. CCB had a great first half in Week 1 putting up 13, but Rutgers and Howard held them to only 2 in the second half, finishing with an unusually low score of 15. CCB's scoring woes continued in Week 2 as they were held to only 1, their lowest score in many years. CCB will need to dig deep and put in the work at practice over the next few weeks as they hope to silence the naysayers and get back to their old form when Washington comes to town.

The students started the chant after each touchdown, but there usually isn't much participation beyond the adjacent couple of sections, probably because nobody is accustomed to it anymore after years of bad play and years of the PA music preventing any opportunity for the chant to even happen for more than a couple seconds.
The RRRRRR UUUUUU chant should be a non-negotiable. It should be up on the videoboard prompting the fans after every score. Another thing that used to be done so well and has been chipped way at over the years.

The RRRRRR UUUUUU chant should be a non-negotiable. It should be up on the videoboard prompting the fans after every score. Another thing that used to be done so well and has been chipped way at over the years.
Hmmm wonder why?

Measuring their wallets and wondering if they would not get in without having to walk from the South End Zone to the North End Zone to rent a locker? 😜
Another disaster! My wife was ready to leave, I convinced her to try another gate and forutnatley they waived us through

Because it is two letters that spells the name of a certain person? 😂
Ding ding ding!!!! But he’s a nice guy and brought a Ferris wheel to the tailgate lot after people from this board gave the idea many years prior.

Its kept at least 5 guys from our original tailgate group away

Nobody gives a damn if the music isnt loud
Kids aren’t coming bc of that
But adults aren’t coming due to it

You really think any of those kids on Saturday in the lightly attended sparse student crowd said to one another on the way to the game “man, there is no way in hell I would be here if this music wasn’t loud as shit!!”
Any decent fan only really ought to care about winning or at least being competitive, but I guarantee you plenty of fans would be annoyed if the music was quiet or replaced by band music... they're not whining now because they don't have to. And I know the AD has done surveys on gameday experience including music and I'm sure if there were some huge negative response about the music it would've been addressed.

Any decent fan only really ought to care about winning or at least being competitive, but I guarantee you plenty of fans would be annoyed if the music was quiet or replaced by band music... they're not whining now because they don't have to. And I know the AD has done surveys on gameday experience including music and I'm sure if there were some huge negative response about the music it would've been addressed.

So you’re totally ignoring the plenty of folks in this thread who say the loud music is too much or that their groups have been impacted.

But then you go ahead and make these assumptions.

My guy - just stop. Have some awareness outside of what your hard of hearing self prefers.

Doesn't make it right.
We are NOT Penn State. And we DON'T want to be like them.
We can win on our own terms and our own way.
Thank you very much.
We have our own unique style. We have a boardwalk. We have a cannon. We have the Eric tribute. But we are also trying to emulate the atmosphere of better regarded Big Ten Schools like Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State and that inspires the music choice, selection, and decibel level.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Any decent fan has options to attend or not to attend. As I said multiple people have left our group with the main reason being the open assault on their senses, specifically the sound of the piped in music and train whistle. They choose to watch from home or meet up at viewing party.

I did have a conversation (group setting with others) with Hobbs regarding game day experience and he did say he was aware of the issue and it would be dealt with. He said when mothers are comcermed to bring their kids to a game they risk losing the whole family. We see
Small changes this year less train whistle. The volume was lower first game. There was a noticeable increase in volume of the scoreboard mid song in the first quarter and it stayed that loud the rest of the game.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
So you’re totally ignoring the plenty of folks in this thread who say the loud music is too much or that their groups have been impacted.

But then you go ahead and make these assumptions.

My guy - just stop. Have some awareness outside of what your hard of hearing self prefers.
Maybe you need to have better awareness and understand that the majority prefers things the way they are.

They seem to be doubling down on the piped in music and the band playing into the game atmosphere is almost non existent.

Heck the music cuts off the R-U chant now after 3 back and forths
Unfortunately, IMHO, the in-game production has been sub-standard the 1st 2 games:

- cutting songs at the wrong time
- cutting songs too short to start another one (both of these don't allow the crowd to properly get into the song)

- not playing Metallica EVERY 3rd down....WTF???

- "Don't Stop Believin'" ....listen I get it, I love it, but if you're going to do it before the 3rd and 4th quarters (when a song should be played to PUMP UP the crowd, specifically the students)....PLAY THE ENTIRE SONG...or don't do it at all.

- playing music IMMEDIATELY after "The Bells Must Ring" instead of allowing the students to start the "R-U" is MIND-BOGGLING!!!!

.....com'on PJ and crew, you're much better than this!!!

We have our own unique style. We have a boardwalk. We have a cannon. We have the Eric tribute. But we are also trying to emulate the atmosphere of better regarded Big Ten Schools like Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State and that inspires the music choice, selection, and decibel level.
You just contradicted yourself.

Fair points, and reasonable people can disagree. As others have pointed out, the noise level is dependent on section of the stadium one sits in. It is hard to say someone is wrong unless they have sat in the section the complainer sits in.

Shelby is very crotchety in his old age, irritated by countless things most others don’t even notice. Yet he doesn’t care in the least about the volume of the piped-in stadium noise.

I'm there to see us win and b'c i love football

But there's an ample amount who go for other reasons; and, when their enjoyment is altered by a wana be Black Sabbath concert, they're going to stay away

Most people don't do surveys
Just like restaurants reviews
They get pissed off and annoyed, leave, complain, and unfortunately, rarely come back

Lesson 1 in college athletics - don't piss off donors
They're the lifeblood to any successful program
I can unequivaly say that between the rock concert vibe, air horn, lack of band, etc., at least anecdotally, they've successfully pissed them off

Were you at the game? On some offensive possessions, the video screen did flash something along the lines of "Quiet, Team Working." On a good number of those, the music was still blaring up until the 15 second count. That is when the communication in the helmet stops by the rule. Brilliant!!!
Yes. And it occurred to me that the incessant noise could be interfering with the communication between coaches and players.

Fact: Older fans contribute needed $$$$$ to the program.
Students contribute no $$

Fact: Older fans contribute needed $$$$$ to the program.
Students contribute no $$
Untrue. students fees include athletics purposes and athletics also siphons money that could otherwise fund academic or other extracurricular things.

RU athletics monetizes and re-directs from all they can from all sources they can. Once coin-op Porto Johns are invented you will see them in the football lots as fast as they can be delivered.

Yes. And it occurred to me that the incessant noise could be interfering with the communication between coaches and players.
Makes me wonder if the person operating the scoreboard and the person blaring the music are the same person or in the same location. Because they are on the same team and doing conflicting things. But that is not surprising. My guess is they are in different locations, or and/or not communicating with each other.

Makes me wonder if the person operating the scoreboard and the person blaring the music are the same person or in the same location. Because they are on the same team and doing conflicting things. But that is not surprising. My guess is they are in different locations, or and/or not communicating with each other.
Good point and it may be something that is new to this year. Things seem off.

Ummm or maybe you’re just hard of hearing now, and loud noises / high decibels don’t bother you? It makes sense now.

With all due respect - it’s not your place to be downplaying complaints from folks who think the music / sound is too loud for themselves or their young children.

If it doesn’t bother you, that’s fine. But don’t act like you can speak for others or that only older folks are complaining.

There are plenty of younger folks complaining and if anything maybe you should listen to us so we don’t lose our hearing like you have.
Agree! My 2 year old grandson wasn’t crazy about the music at times … he’s less than 50! But he loves the cannon!!!

• Love
Reactions: S_Janowski
Think that there was only ONE RRRRRR UUUUUUUUU chant the entire game this past Saturday. That used to be a fun thing to get that going several times during a game.
There were many times the students started the chant after scoring. Hell, even Eric Legrand started a chant. Did you get roofied by Spanky on Saturday???
Maybe you need to have better awareness and understand that the majority prefers things the way they are.
I didnt realize the majority have spoken in favor of loud music.

• Haha
Untrue. students fees include athletics purposes and athletics also siphons money that could otherwise fund academic or other extracurricular things.

RU athletics monetizes and re-directs from all they can from all sources they can. Once coin-op Porto Johns are invented you will see them in the football lots as fast as they can be delivered.
Not even close to the direct contributions made by the football fanbase : SEASON tickets, parking, concessions, donations… Shelby don’t know jack.

There were many times the students started the chant after scoring. Hell, even Eric Legrand started a chant. Did you get roofied by Spanky on Saturday???

I didnt realize the majority have spoken in favor of loud music.
They haven't.

They encourage fans to get into the stadium early.

Problem is... who the f**k wants to get in early when you can't even have a normal conversation while sitting in your seats because the canned noise is cranked to 11?!!!
We should all start to wear hearing protectors like they use for shooting to protect one’s hearing. Get enough people doing that and the game day prep
Team will get the message. Unfortunately hearing protectors are more than seven inches wide/long and are probably classified as a terrorist threat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT