ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early Poll: Starting QB of 2017

Way Too Early Poll: Starting QB of 2017 v. Washington

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope Resicgno improves and is the starter.
And then plays well enough to hold the job for 2 years.

I do wonder about backup QB. If Gio does prove to be a capable starter, I'd like to see Lewis red shirt.

But I'd also like to see Oden move to WR, (I know, fairly unsubstantiated), and I have no faith in Allen as a backup.

Maybe Oden plays a season as mixed use? Would have liked to have seen a bit of that last season.

And then plays well enough to hold the job for 2 years.

I do wonder about backup QB. If Gio does prove to be a capable starter, I'd like to see Lewis red shirt.

But I'd also like to see Oden move to WR, (I know, fairly unsubstantiated), and I have no faith in Allen as a backup.

Maybe Oden plays a season as mixed use? Would have liked to have seen a bit of that last season.

Other than here has anyone seen or heard anything about Oden playing at WR? Why even bring it up? Can he play WR? Has he ever? Does the staff want to do that? I don't know the answer to any of those questions, honestly, just curious.

I want a 2 qb system gio to start and lewis to also play. Lewis is our future, no redshirt just play him like other fresh around the country.

Oden will start next year by the 5th game - I hope the coaching staff takes this time to work on his throwing mechanics and he develops into a good college QB. We need Lewis to red shirt to learn the offense and work on his talents before taking over this offense.

Other than here has anyone seen or heard anything about Oden playing at WR? Why even bring it up? Can he play WR? Has he ever? Does the staff want to do that? I don't know the answer to any of those questions, honestly, just curious.
I've never read anything that would make me believe it's in the plans of the coaching staff.

But, from what I saw Gio is way ahead of Oden as a QB. So without even considering Lewis it would provide a pretty short potential window for Oden as a QB. Add Lewis to the mix and there may not be a window at all.

Now Oden does look to be a threat with the ball in his hands. And while it does look as though we will have more offensive weapons in upcoming seasons then we did in this past season, I still feel the need is stronger at WR then it is at QB. Or at least I feel Oden could make a bigger impact as a 3rd or 4th WR, then as a 2nd or 3rd sting QB.

So again, this is not based on anything I've heard from the coaching staff. Strictly based on my own expert observations, and some very very strong logic.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

I've never read anything that would make me believe it's in the plans of the coaching staff.

But, from what I saw Gio is way ahead of Oden as a QB. So without even considering Lewis it would provide a pretty short potential window for Oden as a QB. Add Lewis to the mix and there may not be a window at all.

Now Oden does look to be a threat with the ball in his hands. And while it does look as though we will have more offensive weapons in upcoming seasons then we did in this past season, I still feel the need is stronger at WR then it is at QB. Or at least I feel Oden could make a bigger impact as a 3rd or 4th WR, then as a 2nd or 3rd sting QB.

So again, this is not based on anything I've heard from the coaching staff. Strictly based on my own expert observations, and some very very strong logic.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think I was the first one to bring up Oden to WR as a long term possibility.

This year I expect both Rescigno and Lewis to be playing against Washington. It's my belief once the QB position is solidified by depth, Oden will be moved to WR, due to his athleticism, measurables, and arm.

Now not this upcoming year but once QB3 8/ determined. So I'm thinking after next season.

I've heard a rumor that Jerry Kill is trying to convince Laviano to stay.

Johnathan Lewis is close to physically ready for a power spread in the Big 10. He's 6'4" 220. For comparison, JT Barrett is listed at 6'2" 225. That being said, he'll probably need a couple of months of getting used to the game plan and to college life before you give him the reigns.

I could see Lewis sitting until midway through the 5th game (OSU at home) and then getting some game action. The following week is a bye week with a road game against Illinois the week after. He could start at Illinois and never look back.

And tomorrow's Mega Millions numbers are....

I agree let lewis play, happens everywhere. Lewis played against a high level of comp in HS and has the size.

Lewis passes the looks test. He looks like a B1G QB. He's certainly the most athletic QB on the team. I know Kill loves to run the QB.

This is Gio's job to lose. I'd imagine Oden is primary backup right now. This is the state of affairs that will continue through Spring practice and into the break.

Lewis isn't an early enrollee, so he's not going to see any practice snaps until August. I highly doubt they're going to throw him in as the starter in Game 1 against a playoff team after just 3-4 weeks of practice.

If Lewis is the real deal, they'll work him in to a few games in the first several games, and we'll see him take over starting duties some time during the season.

Johnathan Lewis is close to physically ready for a power spread in the Big 10. He's 6'4" 220. For comparison, JT Barrett is listed at 6'2" 225. That being said, he'll probably need a couple of months of getting used to the game plan and to college life before you give him the reigns.

I could see Lewis sitting until midway through the 5th game (OSU at home) and then getting some game action. The following week is a bye week with a road game against Illinois the week after. He could start at Illinois and never look back.

And tomorrow's Mega Millions numbers are....
I think any scenario in which Lewis becomes the starter mid season would require Gio struggling to a fairly high degree.

I tend to be pretty optimistic, but I expect Gio to play well.

I think any scenario in which Lewis becomes the starter mid season would require Gio struggling to a fairly high degree.

I tend to be pretty optimistic, but I expect Gio to play well.

This. After games 2 & 3 against Eastern Michigan and Morgan St ( both at home ) Gio and the Offense better be clicking or it's another long season.

Gio and honestly everybody SHOULD want this. Lewis could be a star here, no question, but an improved Gio to start the season would be huge for obvious reasons.

Agreed. I want Gio to be healthy and better, so that Lewis can watch and learn. However, my gut tells me we'll see Lewis starting at some point during the season, either due to injury or lack of production (not convinced Gio is the answer, but willing to wait and see).

Regardless, just like last year, we will have 3-4 QBs taking snaps next year.

This. After games 2 & 3 against Eastern Michigan and Morgan St ( both at home ) Gio and the Offense better be clicking or it's another long season.

It's very likely going to be a "long season." Regardless of the coaching changes, our roster is still severely less talented than most teams we play, so you might as well turn the thinking around now. If we can get for to 4 wins next season I would be very happy and very surprised.

Be interesting if it's Gio and we see enough improvement to be able to run the offense more efficiently, is it because of the new OC or something else. Hope it at least goes in that direction.

:chairshot:
It's very likely going to be a "long season." Regardless of the coaching changes, our roster is still severely less talented than most teams we play, so you might as well turn the thinking around now. If we can get for to 4 wins next season I would be very happy and very surprised.

You are joking right ? With home games against powerhouses Morgan St., Eastern Michigan, and Purdue you would be surprised at 4 wins all year ?????? Don't think we can get a win against Illinois, Indiana, or our home game against Maryland ???? Why don't set your sights a little lower. You really are asking to much ...

Reactions: Loyal-Son
:chairshot:

You are joking right ? With home games against powerhouses Morgan St., Eastern Michigan, and Purdue you would be surprised at 4 wins all year ?????? Don't think we can get a win against Illinois, Indiana, or our home game against Maryland ???? Why don't set your sights a little lower. You really are asking to much ...

Not joking. Not saying we CAN'T, or WON'T, but like it ir not we'll likely go into the season as home 'dogs to BOTH EMU and Purdue.

113 - EMU
126 - Purdue
156 - RU

...hence, again, not setting unrealistic expectations, sorry.

With the upcoming B1G schedule...softest since our entry and the likes of Eastern Michigan and Morgan St. nobody should be surprised at 4 wins. Just saying.

We will not be dogs to EMU and Purdue at home next year.
Rankings are irrelevant from last year.

Take a look at where Colorado, Minnesota, Western Michigan, Miami, Penn State, Northwestern, etc. finished in 2016 vs. their 2015 final rankings.

Last edited:

If you look at his highlights, Lewis is 100% the best athlete at QB. Recigno wasn't bad when he was healthy. He has experience of Lewis. Unless something changes drastically, I don't see it with Odin.

Please RS Lewis. Do not move Oden simply because our offense is more designed for Grant or Harris type receivers and not tall possession types. Plus, it takes time to understand how to run routes, just ask Coleman and Carroo. Oden should have been RS, just so he can learn whats expected of him at the college level. Instead, he learned everything on the fly with a horrible OC who simply blamed our players. Our new OC Kill said, I don't want to hear its the players, its the coaches job to coach them (something like that). Unless Lewis is lights out better than everyone else, please RS him.

Last edited:
With the upcoming B1G schedule...softest since our entry and the likes of Eastern Michigan and Morgan St. nobody should be surprised at 4 wins. Just saying.

We will not be dogs to EMU and Purdue at home next year.
Rankings are irrelevant from last year.

We'll see and 4 wins would literally DOUBLE this year's win total. Big step. Do that again in 2018, and we're an 8-win team. [thumb2]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT