ADVERTISEMENT

We should still hang some type of banner

What should have happened first was for the NCAA to hold Selection Sunday if for no other reason than to give closure to all of the teams and players. 68 schools and fan bases would have felt some degree of satisfaction after having the rest of their season canceled.

Then RU could hang up the banner. But as usual, the NCAA missed an opportunity to make a lot of people happy.

The committee members spending hours planning out a fake tournament with all of the rules/logistics/comparisons that had to be done would have been an incredible waste of time with virtually no upside. I'm almost happier they didn't do it then if I had to look at a real bracket for the last 3 weeks.

No banner. Every team across the country got robbed of a chance to participate.

I'm proud of our guys and the results. We had a great season by our traditional standard, but programs that have success don't hang banners for 20 win seasons (and this was really only 19 if we are being honest).

Pikiell has bigger things in mind here. When we get our shot, then we can recognize that accomplishment. Till then, let's hold off on hanging laundry in the rafters

Frankly, I don’t care if Duke or Kentucky raise a banner this year. I care that this 2019-2020 team was the team that broke the dubious streak. I know it. You know. The team knows it.

Hang a banner and put an asterisk on it if it makes everyone feel better. This team took care of business

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't get it, a banner for most home wins? We may have beat some great B1G teams, but almost all our OOC schedule was weak and at home. Besides, we will end the drought this season barring a major collapse, so no need to highlight it by acting so small time. If anything, canceling the tourney will only motivate the team all the more next season.

No banner. Every team across the country got robbed of a chance to participate.

I'm proud of our guys and the results. We had a great season by our traditional standard, but programs that have success don't hang banners for 20 win seasons (and this was really only 19 if we are being honest).

Pikiell has bigger things in mind here. When we get our shot, then we can recognize that accomplishment. Till then, let's hold off on hanging laundry in the rafters
Hi, I posted a thread saying we should hang a banner. It was deleted and then I started getting notifications about this thread, which I've never posted in. I thought maybe you merged the threads, but my post isn't here. What gives?

Agree, idk about the logistics but this team should be remembered as they would be if the tournament was actually played.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Whether it’s a 20 win for the year banner or something to that effect, give the kids on this team that made us so proud something to always remember

The banner should be “2019 / 20 season” and have our overall record of 20-11 and our conference record of 11-9

Every player and coach name on banner as well

When (not if) we win the fictional national championship ….we should hang that banner too!

MO

No banner. It was a great year and the start of bigger things, but as much as the team was "special", we should not lower ourselves to put up a banner.

Maybe if we had gone undefeated at home we could have put one up saying just that, but because we did not, I don't think anything at all should go up. Coach has much bigger goals and the banners will follow.

Best of Luck,
Groz

No banner. It was a great year and the start of bigger things, but as much as the team was "special", we should not lower ourselves to put up a banner.

Maybe if we had gone undefeated at home we could have put one up saying just that, but because we did not, I don't think anything at all should go up. Coach has much bigger goals and the banners will follow.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Undefeated at home would be a great accomplishment but it wouldn’t deserve a banner either.

Undefeated at home would be a great accomplishment but it wouldn’t deserve a banner either.

I agree, but I was only emphasizing that this year should not have one.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Just like individual players have their jerseys retired in the rafters not for 1 “single” accomplishment but more for the whole of what they did, the 2019-2020 scarlet knights men’s basketball team should have a banner memorializing what their work this season meant to the program and Rutgers overall.

In red...

asterisk+in+banner.PNG

LOL

Reactions: RutgersMO
Please, no banner in the rafters. I’m okay with small appreciative plaque, maybe by ticket window.

Hi, I posted a thread saying we should hang a banner. It was deleted and then I started getting notifications about this thread, which I've never posted in. I thought maybe you merged the threads, but my post isn't here. What gives?
Sorry brother...I have no idea. I'm back working at the hospital now, barely have time to check in let alone moderate right now.

Some WNBA team once hung a banner for leading the league in attendance. And how would a selection show have gone with all the major conference tournaments having barely started? There were too many unknowns still out there.

Should someone hang a banner based on the dopey simulations everybody ran?

Conference tournaments would have had a big impact on NCAA selections. They didn't have them either. Why not hang a banner declaring RU Big Ten tournament champions? This is nonsense talk.

Reactions: wicker
Conference tournaments would have had a big impact on NCAA selections. They didn't have them either. Why not hang a banner declaring RU Big Ten tournament champions? This is nonsense talk.
We could also hang a banner that Rutgers MBB was the NBA Champions too!

Reactions: angmo and c10j10s
Itd be a total loser/participation trophy move to hang anything for this season. No thanks. Banners should only be hanged for winning titles

Itd be a total loser/participation trophy move to hang anything for this season. No thanks. Banners should only be hanged for winning titles

yup. We have to start acting like we belong instead of a bunch of wannabes. This reeks of UCFs pathetic attempt to claim a National Football Championship.

Why not a banner saying something like "20 wins, 2019-20." Simple, factual, to the point, and a great way to honor the coaches & players who made this special season happen.

I don’t understand your obsession with the banner. No one is going to forget this season with what happened. Everyone will remember this was the season they broke through. There’s no specific accomplishment worthy of a banner.

Reactions: red sail
I don’t understand your obsession with the banner. No one is going to forget this season with what happened. Everyone will remember this was the season they broke through. There’s no specific accomplishment worthy of a banner.
Let’s just hope it’s not a high water mark like 2006 for Football.

Maybe no banner but I would commemorate the season with say a collector's Blu Ray of our Big Ten and Seton Hall wins. And perhaps a shirt. Everyone likes t shirts.

I'm not obsessed with it at all. This isn't Rutgers claiming to have won something that we didn't, like UCF in football or FSU in basketball. There is no dispute whatsoever that RU would have made the tournament after the Purdue win. But even with that in mind, we could still just say "20 WINS" and list the year on the banner. Then nobody could mock Rutgers or say it's a participation trophy. We're simply honoring this team for what they accomplished and ensuring it's remembered not just 5 years from now, but 50.

I'm not obsessed with it at all. This isn't Rutgers claiming to have won something that we didn't, like UCF in football or FSU in basketball. There is no dispute whatsoever that RU would have made the tournament after the Purdue win. But even with that in mind, we could still just say "20 WINS" and list the year on the banner. Then nobody could mock Rutgers or say it's a participation trophy. We're simply honoring this team for what they accomplished and ensuring it's remembered not just 5 years from now, but 50.
Dude... enough with your obsession. No Team in the NCAA will be doing that. NO ONE CARES that we got 19 wins ... the 20th win was vs a D2 team ... JUST STOP already. We get that we would have made the tourney ... but alas CV19 killed sports across the globe. that banner would make us look so Bush league. We need to act like we've been there before and celebrate when it actually happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT