ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for RU @ IU: Looks seasonable and dry, but breezy

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
A front comes through Friday, bringing generally dry air behind the front on Saturday, but a minor disturbance on Saturday could bring a few light showers during the day (<0.05"); otherwise it will be partly sunny and seasonable with morning lows in the 40s and a high around 60F (64/43F is the normal hi/lo). The NWs discussion is below. Let's hope we can clinch a bowl bid against the Hoosiers...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-86.50481806410181&lat=39.18664264894406

.Long Term...(Monday night through Sunday)
Issued at 205 PM EDT Sun Oct 15 2023

As the trough departs, another shortwave is shown in medium-range
model guidance on Saturday, but it will be interacting with a
relatively cool dry post-frontal air mass. Primarily mid-high level
moisture with Pacific origins should yield only light
rainfall amounts, if any on Saturday.

Reactions: Local Shill
A front comes through Friday, bringing generally dry air behind the front on Saturday, but a minor disturbance on Saturday could bring a few light showers during the day (<0.05"); otherwise it will be partly sunny and seasonable with morning lows in the 40s and a high around 60F (64/43F is the normal hi/lo). The NWs discussion is below. Let's hope we can clinch a bowl bid against the Hoosiers...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-86.50481806410181&lat=39.18664264894406

.Long Term...(Monday night through Sunday)
Issued at 205 PM EDT Sun Oct 15 2023

As the trough departs, another shortwave is shown in medium-range
model guidance on Saturday, but it will be interacting with a
relatively cool dry post-frontal air mass. Primarily mid-high level
moisture with Pacific origins should yield only light
rainfall amounts, if any on Saturday.
Request/suggestion for away games … you have this down and both data access and understanding so perhaps you would consider adding a small projection of local forecasts (NJ), for those of us that host back yard tailgates/watch parties for away games. Could do a Central, North, South synopsis.

Ah, the benefit of more time in retirement (or at least more discretion on how to prioritize and use one‘s time) 😉. Thanks for consideration.

Well, what we need is to get out of this cycle of Saturday rain here in New Jersey because I would like a nice dry one, day and night, for Ohio State! At least we’ve got some time!

Reactions: m1ipabrams and RW90
Request/suggestion for away games … you have this down and both data access and understanding so perhaps you would consider adding a small projection of local forecasts (NJ), for those of us that host back yard tailgates/watch parties for away games. Could do a Central, North, South synopsis.

Ah, the benefit of more time in retirement (or at least more discretion on how to prioritize and use one‘s time) 😉. Thanks for consideration.
Thanks. Well, it's a Saturday, so that means rain for thePhilly-NJ-NYC area, lol. Seriously, this is like 7-8 straight weeks, as some rain looks likely from Friday evening into perhaps Saturday afternoon. Timing and amounts are still up in the air, though, with the global models all over the place, i.e., from maybe only 0.1" in some occasional light showers/sprinkles (very possibly ending Sat am) to up to 1/2" of rain. The good news is that as of now the models aren't showing this to be anywhere near as heavy, overall, as the past few weekends which got 1-2" of rain on Saturday into Sunday. Bottom line is it's way too early to predict whether and how much rain we might get.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Reactions: BigRnj
Official NWS forecast for Bloomington on Saturday is still for dry, mild conditions with lows in the 40s and highs around 60F, but a couple of models show some light showers during the day, so hard to rule out a shower or two yet.

And the forecast for our area is all over the place with the major models showing everything from dry conditions to 1/2" or more of rain from Saturday morning through the afternoon; the official NWS forecast is for showers being likely during the day, but they're not specifying how much yet.

I like how you think young man.

Reactions: BigRnj and RU848789
Forecast now is a lock for dry conditions, so I changed the thread title. Should be mostly sunny and mild with temps in the low 60s for the game, but in the chilly mid-40s for morning lows (but in the mid-50s by 9-10 am), and there's essentially zero chance for any showers now. However, the forecast has gotten progressively windier, with 15-20 mph winds (and gusts to 30 mph) now forecast for much of the day.

The forecast for our area has improved some, as it's now possible that most, if not all, of the rain (about 0.5-1.0" from Friday afternoon thru Sat morning) will be over by about noon on Saturday, with just a chance of a few lingering light showers in the afternoon and the sun likely making an appearance, with highs in the low 60s. However, it will get windy behind the departing coastal low with 15-20 mph winds and gusts to 30 mph in the afternoon.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=235&y=81&site=phi&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=235&map_y=80

No real change in the forecast, other than the high for Saturday is now expected to be a bit warmer, i.e., near 70F, with plenty of sunshine, but breezy conditions (10-15 mph winds with gusts up to 25 mph).

Back at home, it looks like any significant rain will be over by sunrise, with some scattered showers possible from then through noon and then likely dry after that with some peeks of sun and highs in the low 60s, as the winds kick in, increasing to 10-20 mph with gusts to 30 mph through the day and most of Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRnj
No real change in the forecast, other than the high for Saturday is now expected to be a bit warmer, i.e., near 70F, with plenty of sunshine, but breezy conditions (10-15 mph winds with gusts up to 25 mph).

Back at home, it looks like any significant rain will be over by sunrise, with some scattered showers possible from then through noon and then likely dry after that with some peeks of sun and highs in the low 60s, as the winds kick in, increasing to 10-20 mph with gusts to 30 mph through the day and most of Sunday.
Oh I'm 100% certain those "possible" "scattered showers" will be in Hoboken/JC when I'm out with clients tomorrow morning and then walking to the bar for our party!!! Ugh lol!

Oh I'm 100% certain those "possible" "scattered showers" will be in Hoboken/JC when I'm out with clients tomorrow morning and then walking to the bar for our party!!! Ugh lol!
Well....I was right...it's POURING here in Hudson County lol!

Pouring here in Bergen County 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pouring here in Bergen County 🤷🏻‍♂️
The significant rain is over for most of NJ except eastern parts, with just some showers through noon; might take until noon for the steadier rain to end for NENJ and the immediate coast and those areas will be the last to see scattered showers depart, as usual for a coastal low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT