ADVERTISEMENT

We're going to enjoy Gavin's career at RU...

The issue isn’t this thread or who’s right or wrong about Gavin as to whether he’s going to be good. The issue is that he put up 25 in a game, looked much better and more involved, and now he hardly plays. What the hell are Pike and staff doing with this kid?? This is really my biggest issue with the current season.

He was solidly in the rotation until Ohio St. Since then he’s been banished to the bench. We’re 2-3 without him playing real minutes. What’s more frustrating — he showed some life against Nebraska and was rewarded today with all of 8 minutes ina game we lost by 20.

Make it make sense.

He was solidly in the rotation until Ohio St. Since then he’s been banished to the bench. We’re 2-3 without him playing real minutes. What’s more frustrating — he showed some life against Nebraska and was rewarded today with all of 8 minutes ina game we lost by 20.

Make it make sense.
Nebraska game was a terrible game for him my opinion. Despite making 3s he hurt us when he was in there. People need to watch him on defense.

Because Oskar is better than Gavin right now. Oskar is terrible, but in that run he made plays. Was in positions defensively that Gavin would never been in. If Pike chose Gavin instead of Oskar there is no way we close the game to 5.

Gavin was as bad on D tonight as he was from day 1. He is completely lost. The coaching staff is doing him a disservice by playing him.
Whether Oskar is better or not is not relevant. You make it seem as if Oskar is Caleb McConnell on D. He is also flawed. This season is going nowhere. Gavin’s development at this point in a lost season is far more important than anything Oskar has to offer on the court. This team is a .500 team at best even if we don’t play Gavin and we put our “stopper” Palmquist on the court. It’s a lost year as far as post season is concerned and we need to focus on development. I am all for Simpson, JMike playing and learning this year. But I am also for the same thing for Gavin. We gave up 86 points today, I don’t think it would have been any worse if Gavin had played 16 minutes instead of 8. Gavin is not going to learn much about defending sitting next to Ogbole. We need him next year and future years. Let’s get something out of this season other than a 15-16 record. Not saying they need to start him but he needs to start getting more minutes than Oskar.

Nebraska game was a terrible game for him my opinion. Despite making 3s he hurt us when he was in there. People need to watch him on defense.

I do. He isn’t good on defense. But when you’re going to play games in the high 70s/low 80s you’re not going to have all pit bulls on the team.

Curious why you ignore how bad Oskar is on offense though.

Whether Oskar is better or not is not relevant. You make it seem as if Oskar is Caleb McConnell on D. He is also flawed. This season is going nowhere. Gavin’s development at this point on almost season is far more important than anything Oskar has to offer on the court. This team is a .500 team at best even if we don’t play Gavin and we put our “stopper” Palmquist on the court. It’s a lost year as far as post season is concerned and we need to focus on development. I am all for Simpson, JMike playing and learning this year. But I am also for the same thing for Gavin. We gave up 82 points today, I don’t think it would have been any worse if Gavin had played 16 minutes instead of 8. Gavin is not going to learn much about defending sitting next to Ogbole. We need him next year and future years. Let’s get something out of this season other than a 15-16 record. Not saying they need to start him but he needs to start getting more minutes than Oskar.

This. So this.

youre not wrong. I do make a point of watching him on defense. and I agree he gets lost on some defensive plays. Its not good. But the kid is already getting very limited minutes - so why the hell are you still whining about his minutes? Based on his potential he SHOULD be getting SOME minutes. You disagree but youre wrong. I literally havent see one person agreeing with your extreme stance on this.

Maybe, but still a pretty wild take after his first ever collegiate game against a good Princeton team.
People hate it when I get too granular with stats and they hate my eye test too. Guess I can't win.

I don't do hot takes which is why I got pissed off that this got branded as one.

What’s weird is that minutes are available but Pike is giving them to Oskar for some unknown reason.
The reason is that Gavin hurts us too much with his weak defense and lack of physicality. I hope he gets it straightened out but right now he looks like he’s going backwards. I’d by lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about it. He can’t be happy.

I do. He isn’t good on defense. But when you’re going to play games in the high 70s/low 80s you’re going to have all pit bulls on the team.

Curious why you ignore how bad Oskar is on offense though.
Our only path most nights to success is staying in the 60s.

Oskar is bad on both offense and defense. Oskar playing minutes tells you all you need to know. He shouldnt have to be on the court. If it is between Chol, Gavin and Oskar it is a real onvious choice if you want to win a B1G game right now

Reactions: littlenis5
youre not wrong. I do make a point of watching him on defense. and I agree he gets lost on some defensive plays. Its not good. But the kid is already getting very limited minutes - so why the hell are you still whining about his minutes? Based on his potential he SHOULD be getting SOME minutes. You disagree but youre wrong. I literally havent see one person agreeing with your extreme stance on this.
Many many times i have been right anoutbthings when only 1 or 2 agree

Our only path most nights to success is staying in the 60s.

Oskar is bad on both offense and defense. Oskar playing minutes tells you all you need to know. He shouldnt have to be on the court. If it is between Chol, Gavin and Oskar it is a real onvious choice if you want to win a B1G game right now

Actually not true. Gavin got 8 minutes against Nebraska and Oskar got 4.

The reason is that Gavin hurts us too much with his weak defense and lack of physicality. I hope he gets it straightened out but right now he looks like he’s going backwards.
He hurts us too much? We gave up 86 points in a game he hardly got on the court. It seems as if a lot of other guys that actually play are doing one hell of a job of also hurting us TOO MUCH. The season is dead and has been for quite some time. Work on developing Gavin which means give him more minutes. Not calling for him to start, but he needs more minutes than Oskar. He ain’t going to develop and learn how to play in the Big Ten when he sits next Ogbole and J Williams all day.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
We are all arguing about which bad player to play which tells us where this season is going
How much will it suck if 2-3 years from now Gavin dropping 20 a night like Spencer, or better, and we sit here and say by golly he played for Rutgers his first year, but coach had him sit and watch, so he left.

Reactions: RAC93
How much will it suck if 2-3 years from now Gavin dropping 20 a night like Spencer, or better, and we sit here and say by golly he played for Rutgers his first year, but coach had him sit and watch, so he left.
It will suck for us. It will be great for you as it will give you lots of material.

• Haha
Reactions: FastMJ
He hurts us too much? We gave up 86 points in a game he hardly got on the court. It seems as if a lot of other guys that actually play are doing one hell of a job of also hurting us TOO MUCH. The season is dead and has been for quite some time. Work on developing Gavin which means give him more minutes. Not calling for him to start, but he needs more minutes than Oskar. He ain’t going to develop and learn how to play in the Big Ten when he sits next Ogbole and J Williams all day.
You have to play the players that give you the best chance to win. It’s that simple. The team deserves no less. And right now that means Gavin can’t play extended minutes. He’s too much of a liability.

Actually not true. Gavin got 8 minutes against Nebraska and Oskar got 4.
Oskar was real real bad vs Nebraska.

Do you think Pike is playing Gavin because he wants to win or is he just trying to find 4 minutes per half to chack a box

Oskar was real real bad vs Nebraska.

Do you think Pike is playing Gavin because he wants to win or is he just trying to find 4 minutes per half to chack a box

He’s checking a box.

Quite frankly, I think Pike has done a horrible job with game feel across the roster. His substitutions are so robotic.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
He gets no playing time because he’s not good. If he transfers for playing time it would be to a lower level program. You think a power conference team is going to bring him in to start?? Lol
I think he would be a fit 3 years ago at Syracuse. This program is just a bad fit for him. Next up Dylan Harper.

Didn't see game as I went to the woman's game. Oskar playing 17 minutes is a joke. Not here next year, needs to play Gavin.

Wrong. We don’t get blown out by 23pts and give up 86pts without Oskars valuable 17min.
If Gavin played those minutes the game could have really gotten away from us…….

Drunk That 70S Show GIF by Peacock

He should not play ahead of anyone who gives us a better chance to win. Right now he’s a freshman struggling in the B10, but he’s going to be a real good player. One thing I will say is that he needs to show some grit. His body language says California cool, and this ain’t California. Show some passion, some emotion, take a charge, grab a rebound, do something physical. Stop floating around out there and get into it.

• Love
Reactions: bethlehemfan
Didn't see game as I went to the woman's game. Oskar playing 17 minutes is a joke. Not here next year, needs to play Gavin.
He did play Gavin. He promptly gave up 4 points on easy layups by being out of position.

Gavin unfortunately can’t guard anybody at this level right now. It’s a big problem when he’s out there.

He did play Gavin. He promptly gave up 4 points on easy layups by being out of position.

Gavin unfortunately can’t guard anybody at this level right now. It’s a big problem when he’s out there.
He won't improve if he doesn't play. And who cares? Season going nowhere.

i realize he did play. Oskar in Nebraska game was terrible. not going to improve I agree if he is on bench. Team is going to be at the bottom of conference.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
I was surprised at how poor Gavins bball IQ was when he was on court. It looks like he's playing varsity as an 8th grader. The game looks way too fast for him, he looks lost on court.

He gets no playing time because he’s not good. If he transfers for playing time it would be to a lower level program. You think a power conference team is going to bring him in to start?? Lol
Right. The kid literaly went 2 for 22 in the five games leading up to Nebraska.

I want him to be good (I think he will be eventually) but he’s just not right now.

Because Oskar is better than Gavin right now. Oskar is terrible, but in that run he made plays. Was in positions defensively that Gavin would never been in. If Pike chose Gavin instead of Oskar there is no way we close the game to 5.

Gavin was as bad on D tonight as he was from day 1. He is completely lost. The coaching staff is doing him a disservice by playing him.
We lost by 23 and we are staring down the barrel of no post season prospects. Should we just completely bench Gavin at this point? Give him zero minutes??? I am not saying he looks good right now, but from game to game each guy on this team takes turns looking bad. All of the players are wildly inconsistent and not the greatest talents. Gavin can’t learn how to play against Big Ten competition and improve sitting on his ass all game. I don’t want him starting, hell no, but in a lost season that is going nowhere as far as postseason, Pike can start giving him more minutes than Oskar. We’re losing games either way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT