ADVERTISEMENT

We're going to enjoy Gavin's career at RU...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Kid just looked so smooth tonight, scoring at every level. Sweet stroke, nice moves, great dunk, perfect FTs = 25 points. And while he had 5 TOs and wasn't perfect on D, he was certainly better on D than against Princeton and I think he'll continue to improve. But the bottom line is I don't think we've had a natural scorer at every level like this in a long time. If we can all remember he's still just a frosh and will still have games he struggles in, hopefully we'll be able to enjoy the ride.

Other than that, still lots to clean up, although if we can play like we did the last 35 minutes more consistently, we'll be ok. The defense really ratcheted up, holding BU to 26% shooting and we stopped throwing the ball away with only 4 TOs in the 2nd half vs. 13 in the first half, plus we got to see what Gavin and Aundre are capable of on offense, plus lots of other guys played hard and good, even if not perfectly.

Liked seeing Simpson start to look more comfortable on offense and making some nice assists, but Fernandez is still struggling, as is Cliff, as he's not getting the ball much and when he does he's turning it over too much (did like him being 3-4 on FTs). We really need those two to step up more, as it's asking a lot to have Williams and Davis take on more leadership from the guard position. Nothing has me more worried than our guard play right now, especially once we play top teams. Really nice to see Chol get some good, meaningful minutes and a few buckets.

Great to see the bounce back on the boards after PU, as we dominated 48-28 with Wolf leading the way with 8 and Cliff/Oskar getting 5 each. On the other hand 16-31 FTs is not going to cut it, although Wolf (0-4) and Davis (3-8) really hurt that percentage.

Very much enjoyed watching Gavin take over and pretty much dominate. He lets the game come to him, plays in rhythm and showed great maturity tonight. I'm not ready for a Gavin coronation just yet, because I need to see him against real competition. But man was it fun to watch tonight, and finally potentially see a Go-To player emerge after not having one last year, and questioning whether we would have one this year......and oh yeah how nice is it to have a LEGIT 3 point shooter finally!

Go where? UConn?
Rutgers with its recruiting class next year will be better than UConn.
Gavin will be a pro someday, but it won’t be after one year of college..

So much talent, it’s gonna be fun to watch him.

Who’s the guy who compared his to Jaden Jones after the Princeton game?! Hahaha
Exactly!!! there were a few 'So called experts' on this board who said he is completely lost out there and TOO slow to play D.

Gavin can use his college years (at least two) to get stronger and become a more efficient defender and rebounder. Pike is the right man to oversee his development. Gavin seems like the type who is very coachable and will dedicate himself to improvement in all facets of the game.

Lol I don't wanna call him out cuz he's typically a very good poster but that post crossed my mind about 10 times last night
yeah I was suprised by that bad hot take from him after one game...kcg usually a great poster, im sure he will make amends

So much talent, it’s gonna be fun to watch him.

Who’s the guy who compared his to Jaden Jones after the Princeton game?! Hahaha

Lol I don't wanna call him out cuz he's typically a very good poster but that post crossed my mind about 10 times last night

Nope idiotic comments should be called out. Who was it or what thread?

yeah I was suprised by that bad hot take from him after one game...kcg usually a great poster, im sure he will make amends
I was correct.

Kid just looked so smooth tonight, scoring at every level. Sweet stroke, nice moves, great dunk, perfect FTs = 25 points. And while he had 5 TOs and wasn't perfect on D, he was certainly better on D than against Princeton and I think he'll continue to improve. But the bottom line is I don't think we've had a natural scorer at every level like this in a long time. If we can all remember he's still just a frosh and will still have games he struggles in, hopefully we'll be able to enjoy the ride.

Other than that, still lots to clean up, although if we can play like we did the last 35 minutes more consistently, we'll be ok. The defense really ratcheted up, holding BU to 26% shooting and we stopped throwing the ball away with only 4 TOs in the 2nd half vs. 13 in the first half, plus we got to see what Gavin and Aundre are capable of on offense, plus lots of other guys played hard and good, even if not perfectly.

Liked seeing Simpson start to look more comfortable on offense and making some nice assists, but Fernandez is still struggling, as is Cliff, as he's not getting the ball much and when he does he's turning it over too much (did like him being 3-4 on FTs). We really need those two to step up more, as it's asking a lot to have Williams and Davis take on more leadership from the guard position. Nothing has me more worried than our guard play right now, especially once we play top teams. Really nice to see Chol get some good, meaningful minutes and a few buckets.

Great to see the bounce back on the boards after PU, as we dominated 48-28 with Wolf leading the way with 8 and Cliff/Oskar getting 5 each. On the other hand 16-31 FTs is not going to cut it, although Wolf (0-4) and Davis (3-8) really hurt that percentage.
Enjoy it fast cause I think he's a one and done (at RU, that is).

Reactions: darkcheck
Enjoy it fast cause I think he's a one and done (at RU, that is).
We'll see. Clearly, he's struggling and doesn't look to be as good against top competition as he looked, at times, early in the season against low/mid majors. Doesn't mean he'll never get better, as many heralded freshmen struggle, but one would certainly have to say he's performed below expectations. I still think he is a potential offensive star for RU, but he's nowhere near that yet.

We'll see. Clearly, he's struggling and doesn't look to be as good against top competition as he looked, at times, early in the season against low/mid majors. Doesn't mean he'll never get better, as many heralded freshmen struggle, but one would certainly have to say he's performed below expectations. I still think he is a potential offensive star for RU, but he's nowhere near that yet.
I agree that I think he will turn it around, but just seems like he might not be enjoying the garbage minutes on a basement Big 10 team this year. I mean, he was for a brief period a 5 star recruit and best HS player in Connecticut.

How was it dumb. A way out of consensus view that probably turns out right. If that is dumb what is smart.
It's dumb because predicting that after one game gives no basis of information. And he's still wrong as Gavin has already done more than Jones ever did.

Amazing to see how talented GG is as a top 4* recruit. Just think we can have 3-4 guys like that on the court together in the near future.
It is incredibly concerning his lack of development this year. Makes me wonder if next year could not be the dominant year we are all envisioning. This kid was best high school baller in Connecticut and he now rides the pine here at Rutgers. What the heck happened? This is the team's biggest concern of all, in my view.

It's dumb because predicting that after one game gives no basis of information. And he's still wrong as Gavin has already done more than Jones ever did.
Actually not at all. It was shocking how lost he was on defense against Princeton. Predicting how he has been on offense after 1 game would have been wrong.

My issues with Gavin are all on defense. He is not playable. We cut the game to 5. That would NOT have happened if Pike played Gavin over Oskar.

Reactions: RUskoolie
The issue isn’t this thread or who’s right or wrong about Gavin as to whether he’s going to be good. The issue is that he put up 25 in a game, looked much better and more involved, and now he hardly plays. What the hell are Pike and staff doing with this kid?? This is really my biggest issue with the current season.

Actually not at all. It was shocking how lost he was on defense against Princeton. Predicting how he has been on offense after 1 game would have been wrong.

My issues with Gavin are all on defense. He is not playable. We cut the game to 5. That would NOT have happened if Pike played Gavin over Oskar.

Agreed. Gavin's defense on the bench directly led to the 22-5 run that Illinois used to put the game away in the 2nd half.
If only Gavin had been better at defending Illinois during that stretch.......

We gave up 86 points but sure it was the guy who played 8min (most in garbage time) that's the problem.

What’s weird is that minutes are available but Pike is giving them to Oskar for some unknown reason.
Because Oskar is better than Gavin right now. Oskar is terrible, but in that run he made plays. Was in positions defensively that Gavin would never been in. If Pike chose Gavin instead of Oskar there is no way we close the game to 5.

Gavin was as bad on D tonight as he was from day 1. He is completely lost. The coaching staff is doing him a disservice by playing him.

The issue isn’t this thread or who’s right or wrong about Gavin as to whether he’s going to be good. The issue is that he put up 25 in a game, looked much better and more involved, and now he hardly plays. What the hell are Pike and staff doing with this kid?? This is really my biggest issue with the current season.
It's beyond anyone's understanding

I believe Gavin can shoot better and his current number is not a reflection of his true shooting talent. I don't believe he can do anything else at the Big Ten level.

Agreed. Gavin's defense on the bench directly led to the 22-5 run that Illinois used to put the game away in the 2nd half.
If only Gavin had been better at defending Illinois during that stretch.......

We gave up 86 points but sure it was the guy who played 8min (most in garbage time) that's the problem.
So whats your solution?

Play him getting annihilated every game without even a comeback. Sit players who work hard and are better becuase Gavin has 5 stars?

Reactions: NickRU714
Thought Gavin could get minutes when Goode is in bc he mostly is a spot up 3 point shooter that's easier to cover

Because Oskar is better than Gavin right now. Oskar is terrible, but in that run he made plays. Was in positions defensively that Gavin would never been in. If Pike chose Gavin instead of Oskar there is no way we close the game to 5.

Gavin was as bad on D tonight as he was from day 1. He is completely lost. The coaching staff is doing him a disservice by playing him.
Palmquist really isn't any better. C'mon. That's splitting hairs. Did you see Palm throw the ball up backwards over his head on that 3 on 1 fast break lol?

Reactions: RAC93
Maybe, but still a pretty wild take after his first ever collegiate game against a good Princeton team.
Would it be a wild take to question the success of a QB if 3x there was a guy wideopen 55 yards down the field and all 3 times the QB couldnt reach him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT