ADVERTISEMENT

We're going to enjoy Gavin's career at RU...

I love Pike but he’s not infallible. Oskar is currently our 6th man. I don’t care how long Pike has been around the game, Oskar shouldn’t be a 6th man. If I had to guess, Pike plays him because Oskar is a man and not 17-18’ years old, is super positive, and Pike is very loyal.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
That's not how this works. This isn't a video game. The players who are performing best play. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Because everyone saying this hasn't been in a high level locker room. The best players play and try to win. If we're officially eliminated from postseason you'll see younger guys a bit more for sure, and Pike and Co will sit the older guys down ahead of time and speak to them about it and get them on board with it.

Hey what does Pike have to lose?

Oh I don't know...the entire locker room? The culture?

I'd even argue Gavin knows he shouldn't be playing big minutes right now. And I'd also argue the guys who are taking his minutes are also trying to help him get better because that's what good programs do.

No. It's "the starting QB is graduating and we are 2-7. Whats the worst that happens if the backup gets playing time and gets a headstart on next year? It's either earlier development or more evidence that changes need to be made."

It's not like we're tinkering with the lineup for a Top 5 Big Ten team.
It is mid January. Way too early.

I love Pike but he’s not infallible. Oskar is currently our 6th man. I don’t care how long Pike has been around the game, Oskar shouldn’t be a 6th man. If I had to guess, Pike plays him because Oskar is a man and not 17-18’ years old, is super positive, and Pike is very loyal.
No. Pike wants to win. Sadly he gives us the best chance if winning.

Speak for others.
Stars has nothing to do with it for me.
Gavin, Davis, Chol, Simpson, Woolf - play them all.
Minimal minutes for A Williams, Hyatt, Oskar, Noah.

What's going to happen? Upset players who are gone anyway and lose?
Thats already happening.

The status quo isn't working this season.
Not sure why people are doubling down on it.
We are not at that point. You just want us to lose out? Throw in the towel? Good thing you don’t run the show

Oskar hasn’t scored more than 3 pts in a game since the Wake game. He’s not an assist guy, doesn’t rebound, and his defense is really average if not poor. Sure, go ahead and tell me “practice”. The guy doesn’t produce….ever. And to be clear, I love Oskar as a teammate, Rutgers man, etc., but on the floor he gives us nothing.

I basically disagree with this whole mentality and I think Pike should be trying his best to win the games in front of him.

That's fine.
Many coaches disagree as well - lack of long term planning.
That's why they generally aren't in charge of roster management.
To ensure they don't trade away future draft picks or players just to win a couple extra games in a season going nowhere.

Its funny. Everyone says "need experienced players. Veteran players win games".
But when it's suggested to get players experience in a lost season, people lose their mind. "We just might win 15 games if we keepnthe status quo. We can't risk it changing it up."

Remember all the threads saying Jaden Jones needed to play more minutes?
Me neither. That's because the team was actually winning games so it didn't make sense to risk short term gains for potential long term benefits.

Because everyone saying this hasn't been in a high level locker room. The best players play and try to win. If we're officially eliminated from postseason you'll see younger guys a bit more for sure, and Pike and Co will sit the older guys down ahead of time and speak to them about it and get them on board with it.

Hey what does Pike have to lose?

Oh I don't know...the entire locker room? The culture?

I'd even argue Gavin knows he shouldn't be playing big minutes right now. And I'd also argue the guys who are taking his minutes are also trying to help him get better because that's what good programs do.
He absolutely knows. Unless he is Jaden Jones level stupid.

Oskar hasn’t scored more than 3 pts in a game since the Wake game. He’s not an assist guy, doesn’t rebound, and his defense is really average if not poor. Sure, go ahead and tell me “practice”. The guy doesn’t produce….ever. And to be clear, I love Oskar as a teammate, Rutgers man, etc., but on the floor he gives us nothing.
He doesnt lose his man every possession and have us play 5 on 4. He loses his man way way way too much though, especially in his 5th year

That's fine.
To ensure they don't trade away future draft picks or players just to win a couple extra games in a season going nowhere.

But when it's suggested to get players experience in a lost season, people lose their mind. "We just might win 15 games if we keepnthe status quo. We can't risk it changing it up."

Me neither. That's because the team was actually winning games so it didn't make sense to risk short term gains for potential long term benefits.
They are very different things. No one is suggesting that if Pike had the opportunity to trade next year’s recruiting class for a player that wins us a couple more games this year he should take it. What we are suggesting is that he should try to win the games with the players he has.

That's fine.

He pulled the Jones plug almost too late

We are not at that point. You just want us to lose out? Throw in the towel? Good thing you don’t run the show

I've said previously that it's not as easy as losing 7 games in football.

But the decision needs to be made at some point.
According to some, it seems that point is never reached and we need to play Oskar 15min against Ohio State in March regardless of team record.

They are very different things. No one is suggesting that if Pike had the opportunity to trade next year’s recruiting class for a player that wins us a couple more games this year he should take it. What we are suggesting is that he should try to win the games with the players he has.

Not trade next year's class.
But what about trading a more developed and experienced set of returning players for a couple more.wins this year?

Are you willing to lower the potential of next year's team (via less experienced players) in exchange for trying to win more games this year?

If we are winning this year, then everyone agrees with sacrificing the potential experienced gained for younger players.

But what if the team doesnt win?
Or does it never matter and the only focus is winning this year?

If we are 5-12 in conference going into March, do we still play Oskar 15mpg? Start A Williams?

I've said previously that it's not as easy as losing 7 games in football.

But the decision needs to be made at some point.
According to some, it seems that point is never reached and we need to play Oskar 15min against Ohio State in March regardless of team record.
The simple explanation for all of this is that Oskar does what is asked of him more than Gavin.

I think if things are completely hopeless in March you can get some extra minutes for developmental players but ideally those would be players who are playing well enough to beat out Palmquist in the first place.

Reactions: Scangg and cm_13
Not trade next year's class.
But what about trading a more developed and experienced set of returning players for a couple more.wins this year?

Are you willing to lower the potential of next year's team (via less experienced players) in exchange for trying to win more games this year?

If we are winning this year, then everyone agrees with sacrificing the potential experienced gained for younger players.

But what if the team doesnt win?
Or does it never matter and the only focus is winning this year?

If we are 5-12 in conference going into March, do we still play Oskar 15mpg? Start A Williams?
What if you are in a position to play out of a Wednesday B1G game?

Of course, anything can happen in this day and age in college basketball, but I'd be shocked if Gavin leaves for another program after the season.

No one is more "all in" on Rutgers than Gavin. He loves everything about Rutgers.

Reactions: cshelley
Great to hear but tell him we need him to show something positive in the next 4-5 games.

Who said Gavin was a one and done..off to the NBA?? Fess up..

Nobody said that.
What I (and others) said was that IF Gavin is as good as OTHERS have reported then he COULD be a one and done prospect.

According those reports we were getting:
  • Instant offense
  • Prolific and Creative shooter
  • Can get his own shot
  • Possibly Rutgers leading scorer as a freshman
  • All Big Ten Freshman Team caliber
  • Potential Big Ten Freshman of the Year
Now who said he was going to be that good immediately?
Fess up.

I can post all the receipts if you would like. It’s not going to be flattering those who consider themselves “experts” though.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/gavin-griffiths.260867/page-2#post-6296060

Here. I’ll say it again louder for those in the back.
Same thread - my post from June 16, 2023:

Some of us have been repeatedly saying this to mostly deaf ears.

IF (and it is IF) he’s as good as people who have watched him say he is then it’s a possibility.
If he’s on the All Big Ten Freshman Team and competing for Big Ten Freshman POY then he’s potentially a one and done draft prospect.

The funny posts are when people say “Don’t underestimate Gavin. He’s going to be really good immediately. Instant impact. Oh but he’s also not good enough to be near the NBA draft for 3 or 4 years.”

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/gavin-griffiths.260867/page-6#post-6338452

Here. I’ll say it again louder for those in the back.
Same thread - my post from June 16, 2023:

Some of us have been repeatedly saying this to mostly deaf ears.

IF (and it is IF) he’s as good as people who have watched him say he is then it’s a possibility.
If he’s on the All Big Ten Freshman Team and competing for Big Ten Freshman POY then he’s potentially a one and done draft prospect.

The funny posts are when people say “Don’t underestimate Gavin. He’s going to be really good immediately. Instant impact. Oh but he’s also not good enough to be near the NBA draft for 3 or 4 years.”

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/gavin-griffiths.260867/page-6#post-6338452
I called him a 17 year old Mike Williams who was tge best shooter in NYC

Reactions: NickRU714
I knew Gavin needed some S&C but after sitting behind the Nebraska bench the other night I couldn’t believe how skinny/thin his whole body actually was.

When you’re 6”8 and thin as a rail it’s easy to dominate in high school.

But when you get to a league like the BIG10 if you’re not able to be physical you at least have to know how to use your body in ways to make up for the lack of physicality. He looks physically outmatched out there and doesn’t seem to know how to use his length to make up for it. I think that’s really hurt his confidence (along with his shooting struggles).

I think he will be fine and really come on in 1-2 years but man hopefully he’s not on the Derek Simpson diet and adds 25lbs + by next season.

Some of our other guys are making Oscar look good which tells you how many problems we have on this roster because he’s not good and he shouldn’t be more than our 9/10th guy and getting 5 mins a game

No offense to Oscar - seems like a great kid and teammate but it’s the reality of the situation.

Reactions: RUskoolie
He seemed to disappear about a month ago, but would be interested to hear @MiloTalon13 's take on all this. Whoever he is clearly has some connection to Gavin.

Reactions: Scangg
He will have many offers from good D1 teams. 5 star recruit being mismanaged at Rutgers? The NCAA will be salivating.
Who’s watching his tape and thinking it’s Steve Pikiell’s fault? He clearly isn’t physical enough yet to succeed at this level. Based on all the interviews Gavin has done, he won’t transfer, he’ll work harder to get right. Why do people think Pike doesn’t like Gavin? He’s friends with his dad and seems to be the most personally connected recruit he’s gotten. He wants an excuse to play him, but hasn’t gotten it.

Nebraska he hit those two threes, and then personally was responsible for allowing 7 points on the three following possessions. I do think if Gavin is shooting well, those games Pike should give him a little more leash, but most games he’s not shooting well to play through anything. Throwing him 20 mins isn’t going to develop him, he’ll just develop bad habits

The ironic thing is that if you have your wish - i.e., Gavin gets no minutes - then we will never know if you were right.
My wish is that I am wrong, gavin gets minutes and produces on offense and has increased confidence which spills to the defensive end where his D improves to where he is passable and there become a path for success in his career here.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I knew Gavin needed some S&C but after sitting behind the Nebraska bench the other night I couldn’t believe how skinny/thin his whole body actually was.

When you’re 6”8 and thin as a rail it’s easy to dominate in high school.

But when you get to a league like the BIG10 if you’re not able to be physical you at least have to know how to use your body in ways to make up for the lack of physicality. He looks physically outmatched out there and doesn’t seem to know how to use his length to make up for it. I think that’s really hurt his confidence (along with his shooting struggles).

I think he will be fine and really come on in 1-2 years but man hopefully he’s not on the Derek Simpson diet and adds 25lbs + by next season.
It is part of the reason Gavin has struggled he now is playing against grown men not high school level kids… do I think he still can be a very good player ( hopefully here) … yes, but this season has caused him to completely doubt his abilities. Some of this falls upon the staff.

What is Gavin's signature ability? Honest question. I haven't seen the shooting I expected. He's not a creator. He's not a penetrator. That's just offense/no mention of d.
There is a very good B1G offensive player in that body. He is void of any defensive IQ, but he is advanced offensively. Gavin will succeed offensively somewhere. He can shoot, he has a quick release, he has vision, he understands spacing.

Oh and as most of us have seen… weight room … dining room…gym… wash , rinse, repeat.

Who’s watching his tape and thinking it’s Steve Pikiell’s fault? He clearly isn’t physical enough yet to succeed at this level. Based on all the interviews Gavin has done, he won’t transfer, he’ll work harder to get right. Why do people think Pike doesn’t like Gavin? He’s friends with his dad and seems to be the most personally connected recruit he’s gotten. He wants an excuse to play him, but hasn’t gotten it.

Nebraska he hit those two threes, and then personally was responsible for allowing 7 points on the three following possessions. I do think if Gavin is shooting well, those games Pike should give him a little more leash, but most games he’s not shooting well to play through anything. Throwing him 20 mins isn’t going to develop him, he’ll just develop bad habits
Pike wasn't friends with his dad. They just knew of each other by playing in the same state at the same time

I hate when people say this bc it sort of discredits Pike's recruiting. Like he landed Gavin bc he was besties with his dad. It's just not true

Reactions: cm_13
Pike wasn't friends with his dad. They just knew of each other by playing in the same state at the same time

I hate when people say this bc it sort of discredits Pike's recruiting. Like he landed Gavin bc he was besties with his dad. It's just not true
Didn’t mean to discredit Pike at all - at the end of the day, recruiting is a networking game, not a meritocracy. Having a big network of people who trust you is a coaching skill.

I'll concede I was bullish on Gavin. I thought he'd be a starter on this team and I guess I was right for 7-8 games. Ha. That said, I am still bullish on him. Talent doesn't disappear. And I appreciate he needs to develop his body, but let's not ignore that here have been plenty of skinny shooters who have excelled in the B1G (see Joe Wieskamp). He also would be a perfect floor spacer with Ace and Dylan next year. Of all players on the roster right now, I see him making the biggest leap next year.

With all of that said, before I get trounced by the other side, I concede that he's clearly struggling.

Yes weight room of course.

My biggest issue is he has confined himself to almost exclusively being a three point shooter. His best advice would be to look for miod range or taking it to the hoop. Let the 3s come in the flow as opposed to always looking for them FIRST.

He is not strong enuff to take it to the rack...yet. 20lbs of muscle and yes he could.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT