ADVERTISEMENT

Wes Unseld 74

I had 1st row half court sea
No tougher guy EVER in the NBA Played center at maybe 6'7 including a classic 70's Fro..His battles against Willis Reed and the Knicks, yes the Knicks were once monsters, of the 60's into the mid 70's were ground wars. Will be missed.

As a teenager in 1980, I lucked into half court-front row seats at the Spectrum for a Sixers playoff game with the Bullets. During pre-game warmups, a ball rolled over to me. I got up and handed it to Wes who was walking over. He just kind of scowled and turned to go back. He was only 6’7” but was incredibly imposing due to his wide frame. I was kind of star struck. One of the best rebounders ever..especially for his size. May he RIP.

I met him when I worked at the NBA. He needed some help with his laptop. Was super nice guy.

Unseld was a bull on the court, but a gentle giant off it. Met him a few times back in the day when the Bullets played the Nets at the RAC from 1977-81... was always kind to us youngsters. R.I.P.

Here's a basketball card he autographed for me...
102311022_10220340753962043_90761085690314752_o.jpg

Interesting tidbit: Unseld is widely considered the best outlet passer in NBA history. Kevin Love is the best outlet passer in the NBA today. His outlet passes are a throwback and resemble those of Unseld's. What is Love's middle name? Wesley, named after the 1988 Hall of Fame inductee. Love's father, Stan (who happens to be the brother of Beach Boys lead singer Mike Love), was a teammate of Unseld's.

Last edited:
My only memory of him was his leading Louisville to a number 2 ranking during my freshman or sophomore year at Rutgers. UCLA of course was always #1 back then. UL was a member of the Missouri Valley conference back then which was one of, IIRC, the 16 conferences to get an automatic birth to the NCAA tournament, which had only 23 teams in it at that time. The others were independents, including 3 in the east regional.

Sorry to hear of his passing.

When I was a freshman in college in Louisville Wes was a senior at Seneca High School in Louisville. He and Mike Redd led led Seneca to an undefeated season and won the Kentucky High School State Basketball Championship. Kentucky plays districts to the 16 regional champs who all play down to one state team champion. Wesley was really talented and Seneca was one of the top teams in the nation at I believe 30-0.

A good NBA trivia question is the following: Of all the players who have won the NBA MVP Award, only 4 have passed away. Name them.

Hint - before this year there were only 2.

A good NBA trivia question is the following: Of all the players who have won the NBA MVP Award, only 4 have passed away. Name them.

Hint - before this year there were only 2.
Great question! I must confess, though. I thought you were wrong. I immediately knew Unseld and Kobe are the two who died this year. However, I thought you were wrong about only two dying prior to this year. I thought there were three: Bob Pettit, Wilt Chamberlain, and Moses Malone. I was pleased to find out I was wrong. Pettit remains alive and well at the ripe old age of 87.

Great question! I must confess, though. I thought you were wrong. I immediately knew Unseld and Kobe are the two who died this year. However, I thought you were wrong about only two dying prior to this year. I thought there were three: Bob Pettit, Wilt Chamberlain, and Moses Malone. I was pleased to find out I was wrong. Pettit remains alive and well at the ripe old age of 87.

What most people don’t realize is that the first MVP wasn’t awarded until the mid 50’s (Pettit) so most start searching for older players. The one that gets overlooked is Moses.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I was around 18-19 years old in 1982 and I was in Ocean City MD. My cousin and I went into McDonalds to get breakfast and Wes Unseld was in line right in front of me. Big Dude. I was too scared to say hi. Lol.

The battles between Unseld, and my childhood idol Willis Reed were just epic all out wars. Sigh, another sports BB legend gone. RIP big guy.

Don't forget Phil Chenier who gave Clyde Frasier fits and was his doppelganger.

Before Chenier, there was Archie Clark, who was also very good, but probably my favorite player ever was Earl, “the Pearl” Monroe. As a kid, I was ecstatic when the Knicks got him. People wondered how he would fit in with Frazier. Monroe sacrificed a lot of his scoring for the betterment of the team and was an underrated piece on that ‘73 Championship Knicks team. Who knew that 47 years later, that would be their last title?.... Dolan, please go away.

Before Chenier, there was Archie Clark, who was also very good, but probably my favorite player ever was Earl, “the Pearl” Monroe. As a kid, I was ecstatic when the Knicks got him. People wondered how he would fit in with Frazier. Monroe sacrificed a lot of his scoring for the betterment of the team and was an underrated piece on that ‘73 Championship Knicks team. Who knew that 47 years later, that would be their last title?.... Dolan, please go away.

Archie Clark #21?

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Not sure if he ever wore them, but years ago the Bullets had uniforms that had stripes that went down from top of the jersey to the bottom of the shirts. The Floridians if the ABA and the Atlanta Hawks May have had something similiar to them as well.

Chenier was around in 72-73. He looked exactly like Clyde.Dont forget Dr. Dick Barnett as well. Had one of the funkiest looking left handed jump shots ever.

Not sure if he ever wore them, but years ago the Bullets had uniforms that had stripes that went down from top of the jersey to the bottom of the shirts. The Floridians if the ABA and the Atlanta Hawks May have had something similiar to them as well.

yup. Pacers had them too. The hawks were in bright green. Floridians of the ABA had pink, orange, and black. They started out as the Miami Floridians, and then later were officially known simply as The Floridians. I loved the ABA.

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
Dr Dick may not have looked pretty but he was pure money.

Agreed. Under rated player.

Dont forget the Minutemen!!!! Mike Riordan, Phil Jackson, Dave Stallworth and Nate Bowman. Was Cazzie Russell part of those teams?
At the end of the bench Don May and Bill Hosket.
Let me know if I forgot anyone.

yup. Pacers had them too. The hawks were in bright green. Floridians of the ABA had pink, orange, and black. They started out as the Miami Floridians, and then later were officially known simply as The Floridians. I loved the ABA.
Me too.
Anaheim Amigos, Minnesota Muskies, Virginia Squires, Pittsburgh Condors, San Diego Conquistadors. How could you not love it????

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I met Wes Unseld in 1982, when he came into the office of the CEO of the Washington Bullets, where he worked after retiring. He stood in the doorway for a moment and it struck me that he filled up the frame vertically and horizontally.

RIP

Reactions: bossnj1
They wanted Wes to break the color line at UK and Uncle Adolph put a full court press on him.

He was absolutely right when he stated that his style of play wasn't the right style for a guy who was going to be a pioneer.

He wasn't the Jackie Robinson type on the court or off it.

He and Bill Walton were the best 2 outlet passers I ever saw in person.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Originally, the New York Islanders were going to be called The Long Islanders.

Me too.
Anaheim Amigos, Minnesota Muskies, Virginia Squires, Pittsburgh Condors, San Diego Conquistadors. How could you not love it????
A bit before my time, but the Nets started in Teaneck as the New Jersey Americans with former Rutgers star Bobby Floyd. Don’t know if the Teaneck Armory is still there. They moved to New York and played at the Commack Arena where if the games got boring, they could watch rats run around the arena and bathrooms.

A bit before my time, but the Nets started in Teaneck as the New Jersey Americans with former Rutgers star Bobby Floyd. Don’t know if the Teaneck Armory is still there. They moved to New York and played at the Commack Arena where if the games got boring, they could watch rats run around the arena and bathrooms.
Still there... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaneck_Armory

Bobby Lloyd sat on the bench during the first half of the season, but later in the season he broke into the starting lineup and helped push the Americans into a tie for the last playoff spot in the ABA's Eastern Division.

fa0_-EYjx5q_JRu_EKrPrQyHMGw65oZRzBdABVH9mWaXtw3xZsA1-e-Kh-vNDxzQdmjHGCAf2I2AG0mlbg_LskdRZxTRBhssFK14hvisB-M4ABD9NVRbD6Yp0cs0LqsxNo0IzMNL

http://www.remembertheaba.com/New-Jersey-Americans.html

My first "pro" basketball game I went to was with my Boy Scout troop.
NJ Americans and Indiana Pacers at the Teaneck Armory.
Indiana had some good players in Roger Brown, Freddie Lewis and Bob Netolicky but I think the Americans won.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT