ADVERTISEMENT

West Coast View on Expansion

Not that simple. With top 5 media markets already in the fold, adding lesser markets might shrink the share per university.
Agree. Hence why they have people researching this.

But to ask what OU and Wash bring is silly. They bring 2 top 25 media markets, great athletics, partners with the cal schools..as well as a Nike presence

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Not sure the rivalry stuff is relevant anymore. ND has had a rivalry with Navy and Army forever. The only only thing that matters to ND is $$$$

Active rivalries:
USC annually since 1926, only missing games for WW2 and Covid.
Navy annually since 1927, missing only 2020 for Covid.
Stanford annually since 1988, missing three years in that time.

B1G rivalry games that ended when they made the deal with the ACC:
Purdue every year from 1946 until 2014
MSU every year from 1959 to 2013
Michigan in 31/36 years from 1978-2014
They've also had an on-again/off-again thing with PSU over the years

Getting ND in the door for the media rights package would mean another 6-10 nationally televised games every year. If it means taking Stanford along with them, that's not really a tough sell - Stanford is a prestigious academic institution, and it would give USC/UCLA another west coast program.

A 9-game conference slate, plus 3 OOC games against Navy and a rotation of BC/Pitt/Army/Air Force would be huge money from a media rights perspective.

$26mm now vs $100mm with B1G

ND is arrogant but they’re not going to play musical chairs and get left on the outside.

within 2 weeks we will see the announcement of ND joining the B1G.

rhen get rest for crazy town as everyone scrambles for a seat…
If ND joins the B1G they become a second Nebraska. Living on reputation and past glory. Getting smoked each week as the season goes on because they are not used to the schedule and physicality of the B1G.

Agree. Hence why they have people researching this.

But to ask what OU and Wash bring is silly. They bring 2 top 25 media markets, great athletics, partners with the cal schools..as well as a Nike presence

If ND won't budge, I see this as the likely next step.... in-state carriage fees for BTN for Washington (7.7M people; #12 Seattle/Tacoma media market) and Oregon (4.2M people; #21 Portland media market).

If ND won't budge, I see this as the likely next step.... in-state carriage fees for BTN for Washington (7.7M people; #12 Seattle/Tacoma media market) and Oregon (4.2M people; #21 Portland media market).

i don’t think BIG does any more without ND.

once ND agrees, they take Stanford, Wash and Ore.

If ND duesnt agree, they stay at 16

Well here's some more info in a Q&A from Canzano that wasn't in his article yesterday. If that's the case well then Stanford offers more from the biz perspective than some of us think, including myself. Just as a reminder from that article yesterday, the ex Fox sports prez thought Oregon/Wash were worth 60M.

Q: Who is more attractive to the Big Ten, Stanford or Oregon? — @williamswes

A:
The ex-Fox Sports Network president, Bob Thompson, placed Oregon’s media-rights value at $30 million and Stanford’s at $45 million when I pressed him. That may be all that would normally matter to the Big Ten. However, I think Oregon’s national brand and Phil Knight’s clout give the Ducks the edge. If the Big Ten takes Oregon, I would expect there to be some sort of subsidy or waiting period (See: Maryland) before the Ducks are allowed to take a full conference media share.

Q: How will Cal ever pay off its stadium debt now? Getting into the Big Ten is a fantasy, so we'll be left with mid-major TV deal money. There's no way out of a $100M(?) debt with that. Do you think it's a possibility that Cal shuts down its football program within a few years? — @RuminatingOrion

A:
There’s a lot of ball to play before we get to a “shut down” situation. Cal is paired with Stanford and sits in the Bay Area television market. Because of that former Fox Sports Network president Bob Thompson told me he believes Cal/Stanford are worth $90 million total in annual television revenue. That is a huge advantage.

ND is the only school left that moves the ratings needle. Plus their NBC deal is up in 2025.
I expect that deal will be revised quickly adding money to the pot so Notre Dame can stay independent in football while its TV ( for non ACC games) rights money is pretty close to what the B1G gets .

The more I thionk of it the more I feel the B1G will only add Stanford and Cal at this time,
waiting to see if the SEC goes after some ACC teams and if they do go after North Carolina and Virginia , giving Notre Dame a chance to replace one of them .
If the Irish stay independent , both ACC schools will be added.if the SEC pries Clemson and FSU from the clutches of the ACC's GOR.

Last edited:
two top 25 media markets, strong athletic programs, good research schools. And partners for UCLA and USC.

not really difficult
UO isn't particularly notable for research and it definitely isn't in the same league as UW, nor any of the Cali schools. Geographically it pairs well with UW but that's about it. If you want a better option across most of the metrics you mentioned, it's Arizona State.

two top 25 media markets, strong athletic programs, good research schools. And partners for UCLA and USC.

not really difficult

Yes, it is. I don't see their inclusion increasing the money pool enough to account for the dilution by their addition. If the Big 10 is looking national, then add a couple of southern schools, one in Texas and one in Florida. Not that I'm advocating that, but that would be less objectionably than adding 2 northwest schools who don't bring a lot to the table.

Scott is a horrible commish. Watching SC games became a real chore, in LA. And USC runs this town. I've lived her for over 20 years. I've seen the Lakers win championships, the Dodgers, and the Rams.

Nothing lit this city up like when Pete Carroll was at USC. To go from that to hardly being able to see games was just not acceptable.

I've spoken to tons of SC and UCLA grads. I haven't heard one person say they weren't pumped about this move.
My wife is from LA so I’ve spent a fair amount of time there and know a handful of grads of both. Cali is spot on. USC owns LA.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell either of these schools would bring to the Big 10. Anyone?
Seattle & Portland TV markets

More west coast games to broadcast on prime time on west coast. Big state Universities with large fan bases. Gives both TV & streaming services more content, viewers, time slots to broadcast.

Yes, it is. I don't see their inclusion increasing the money pool enough to account for the dilution by their addition. If the Big 10 is looking national, then add a couple of southern schools, one in Texas and one in Florida. Not that I'm advocating that, but that would be less objectionably than adding 2 northwest schools who don't bring a lot to the table.

if BIG also doesn’t see that, they won’t invite them. But you asked what Specifically they bring..and it’s not difficult to see that. New markets, great programs, and geographic partners to ucla and usc.

Just a guess but I believe there’s already an agreement with the LA teams to add 1-2 more west coast teams, TBD depending on ND’s decision and then 2 from the ACC. Resulting in 4 pods of 5 teams each by 2025. Id like to see RU with PSU, MD, Michigan St and ND.

B. OSU, Michigan, UVa, UNC, Indiana
C. Wisky, Purdue, Illinois , Iowa, Northwestern
D. USC, UCLA, Stanford, Neb, Minnesota

These pods are relatively balanced and a bit less travel for the west coast teams for annual opponents (in same pod)

3 of the pods have at least one top private school and the other has UVA and Michigan which are almost as selective
where are you concluding the UNC and VA are leaving the ACC? If they leave then all of ACC implodes as Clemson is one foot out the door to SEC...You think UNC would leave wothout assurances that 2 OOO hoops games per year vs Duke are included in any scheduling... Also i would question that Duke has more national brand recognition than UVA ...and not really about TV markets...

Bring in Stanford to entice Notre Dame?
F**k Notre Dame.
Big Ten in a position of strength should not concede anything to the Domers.
They pay to join just like we did. Where are they going to go? They can stay associated with the ACC as it falls apart in the long run. And I hope if they do not join the other Big Ten teams stop scheduling them. They will become more and more irrelevant each year.
ND would move the needle more than any other school...to all conferences...They will play the BIg 10 vs ACC for full amount on day one...

look at tv & streaming and their schedule...

• Ohio State — 5.22M
  • Michigan — 4.74M
  • Alabama — 4.64M
  • Penn State — 3.87M
  • Georgia — 3.61M
  • Oklahoma — 3.46M
  • Auburn — 3.22M
  • Michigan State — 2.89M
  • Notre Dame — 2.84M
  • Oregon — 2.57M

everyone is focusing on national media rights since they have risen astronomically. But…
Cable subs are still part of the equation. Even in 2022.

USC and UCLA will get the higher rate per sub in the LA market for BTN, but maybe not in the San Fran market. Stanford and Cal, together would cement the entire state of California at the higher per sub rate. This is in addition to whatever value they add to the national media rights.
Since we’ve entered the CA market, let’s go ahead and monetize all of it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Bc it keeps that rivalry for them and is an elite private school as well. Being in a conference with Oregon, Washington aren’t relevant to ND’s interests any more than UNLV is.

If the B1G isn't enough for ND I say leave them out. Let them stay indy.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
In a 20 team conference there may not be a need for OOC games. What's the point of a OOC game other than to fill out the schedule and perhaps a warm up game but there's plenty of weak sauce conference opponents.

Hey! (LOL)

$26mm now vs $100mm with B1G

ND is arrogant but they’re not going to play musical chairs and get left on the outside.

within 2 weeks we will see the announcement of ND joining the B1G.

rhen get rest for crazy town as everyone scrambles for a seat…

God Damn. Just consider how lucky we were to get invited to the B1G back then.

Bring in Stanford to entice Notre Dame?
F**k Notre Dame.
Big Ten in a position of strength should not concede anything to the Domers.
They pay to join just like we did. Where are they going to go? They can stay associated with the ACC as it falls apart in the long run. And I hope if they do not join the other Big Ten teams stop scheduling them. They will become more and more irrelevant each year.

I'm with you. ND doesn't have half the influence some think they do. ND and SEC (Or they can play with SYR in the Igloo Conference), perfect together!

ETA: I say we make them get rid of that racist Fighting Irish mascot too before they get invited.

The Big 12 is apparently set to meet with Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah. Smart move by them to act quickly since the PAC 12 is currently paralyzed by not knowing who will remain in the league. The lingering ND decision is indirectly putting another nail in the PAC 12’s coffin.

I think it’s safe to say if FSU & Clemson bolt to the SEC, the ACC is done and ND goes to the BIG [unless it leaves first]. The following preferred schools UNC/UVA/Ga Tech/Miami apply to the BIG and/or SEC within days. Remaining ACC schools scatter amongst the B12/AAC/PAC.

ESPN will be behind the SEC product and Fox behind the BIG.

GO RU

i don’t think BIG does any more without ND.

once ND agrees, they take Stanford, Wash and Ore.

If ND duesnt agree, they stay at 16
I think that is totally wrong. it had to be part of the USC - UCLA deal that they would have at least two other West coast teams. i think the issue with N.D. coming or not is whether the BIG would go to 20 if they come or go to 18 for now if they don’t.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell either of these schools would bring to the Big 10. Anyone?
Seattle market for UW. National following for Oregon. Both have stronger name recognition than Rutgers right now.

What's going to happen with the vaunted beach volleyball and water polo teams of the PAC teams that join the B1G. And UCLA and USC do not have wrestling or Lacrosse? @Caliknight do any PAC teams have lacrosse?
None have lacrosse. Sport is just picking up out here. Wrestling is strong with some West Coast schools - Stanford, Cal-Poly, Fresno St., but not most of the PAC 12. My guess is that they will find homes in places like the WCC, but who knows. Right now, everyone is looking at the dollars and for the rest saying "we'll have enough money to figure out that other stuff later."

Reactions: RUnTeX
forget uva, au, uofa, cal

nd, stanford, unc (then uva might be appealing but not really, neither is duke)

The Big 12 is apparently set to meet with Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah. Smart move by them to act quickly since the PAC 12 is currently paralyzed by not knowing who will remain in the league. The lingering ND decision is indirectly putting another nail in the PAC 12’s coffin.

Who knows what those schools in the Mountain Time Zone choose to do, but IMO, the Pac 12 (adding, say San Diego State and UNLV) is still a more valuable product. I would like to see an alliance/merger between the ACC, Pac 12 and Big 12.

The guy is a complete tool …a lunatic in the lunatic State of California. Gavin Newsome due to his entitlement and family connections is considered a future presidential candidate. Let’s see what his real intentions are regarding UCLA .

The guy is a complete tool …a lunatic in the lunatic State of California. Gavin Newsome due to his entitlement and family connections is considered a future presidential candidate. Let’s see what his real intentions are regarding UCLA .

5th largest economy in the world with a near $100 budget surplus. Innovation and cultural capital of USA and the world. If that's lunatic, then I'm all in. (And yes, California has some real problems, but who doesn't?)

Reactions: lakejj and BuckRU
Yes, adding Stanford would make sense to sweeten the pot for Notre Dame. But it means three Pacific Coast schools. Wouldn't the Big Ten want a fourth? Could it be that Stanford would drag Cal (a huge rival for over a century) to the party?? If so, would it make sense to take Oregon and Washington, too?
Each new member needs to bring 100 million plus in media rights or they're not getting invited. Do you think Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin etc would take a loss financially to add these teams.... Fuggeettaabboutit!!

What's going to happen with the vaunted beach volleyball and water polo teams of the PAC teams that join the B1G. And UCLA and USC do not have wrestling or Lacrosse? @Caliknight do any PAC teams have lacrosse?
You are focusing on minutia instead of the grand scheme of things. Think big my colleague not small

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT