ADVERTISEMENT

West Coast View on Expansion

They are potential partners for UCLA/USC and prevent them from being lone outposts. IMO, out of the remaining PAC12 schools they're the next most desired. Stanford biz wise isn't up there but they might be on the list because of ND.

I've posted a couple articles that aren't so enthusiastic about Oregon/Washington biz wise and cite former Fox sports president and another industry source both who think they don't bring enough to the table to not make the B10 schools have to reduce their size of the pie a little bit. Tweeners one called them. Solutions to that were the B10 schools take 5-6M less each or Oregon/Washington prolong their revenue share timeframe to get up to a full share.

You can say they don't bring anything but they are the best of the rest out west. IMO, it's not Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Cal etc...Unless you're willing to leave UCLA/USC out there alone (which I don't think is the long term strategy of the B10) sooner or later you have to choose 1-3 schools from the west to be partners for them.

I've said before it's not just market or it's not just brand, it's both and every school brings some combo of each side of the equation to evaluate. Evaluating both sides of that equation for each remaining western candidate, IMO Oregon/Washington are the best of the bunch. Stanford is lower down the list but because of ND you never know. ND coming might allow university presidents ("academic snobs" for lack of a better term) to lean in more on the academic fit side of the equation vs the biz fit side of the equation.
Why should any current Big Ten school take a pay cut to bring on new members

Why should any current Big Ten school take a pay cut to bring on new members
Not likely that would be the solution but it was a suggested solution. The other was an extended buy in period.

The premise though isn't necessarily a wrong one depending on what you think the future potential is. You take the short term pain with outlook for greater value down the line. The value they bring today isn't necessarily the value they bring tomorrow. VCs and investors put money into companies that currently aren't profitable with the expectation they will be profitable and successful in the future. There has been a little madness on that in recent times but the general idea isn't always a bad one.

Clemson is thought to be a good get and shoe in for the SEC but what were they 10-15 years ago. It's because of their recent performance their value has gone up. We don't even know how Dabo will do with the loss of his 2 long time coordinators. Is he closer to Saban or Orgeron? We don't know, yet people assign high value to them because of recent performance. They don't bring a new territory to the SEC either.

IMO, you have to see if the institutional commitment to improve and elevate oneself is there. Oregon is dependent on Knight money so I'd want to know what happens after Knight passes. Washington did get Peterson out of Boise and had the willingness to fire an unsuccessful coach after 2 years. Do they have potential to be ranked teams and make playoffs in the future with the added exposure and resources of the B10? Can they create more than just late night west coast inventory but also rivalries and ranked must see matchups that draw those 3-4M viewerships the networks crave? I think quite possibly the answer is yes. It's also good just structurally for the conference to have more than just the lone outpost of USC/UCLA in the west.

So I don't just write them off because of their current value but you have to figure out what their potential future value to the conference may be. Structurally, I still think 1-3 schools from the west will be added in the future. I'd guess those candidates would be Stanford (with ND), Washington and Oregon. I don't know when but I just don't think the long term plan for the B10 is to leave USC/UCLA out there alone indefinitely.

Last edited:
Do they bring 100 million annually in media rights... If not it ain't happening... What don't you people understand???

Did i ever say they bring in 100 million?

what you quoted from me was an answer to the question - what would Oregon and Washington bring?

It’s very easy to see what they would bring.

Now is it worth bringing that in if it’s not gonna substantially increase revenue? Im sure the big ten has an answer

Interesting. As usual, politicians posturing without anything to back them up.

"Because of a historical quirk, the legislature and governor have a lot of control over the community colleges and CSU, but the UCs are actually a constitutional entity, and so they have a lot more autonomy than the other two systems," she told me.

Seven UC system regents are ex officio members, which include not just folks like the president and vice-president of the UC Alumni Associations, but also the California Governor, Lt. Governor, and Speaker of the Assembly.

"In reality," Dr. Smith told me, "normally the governor doesn’t even attend their meetings."

"Because of a historical quirk, the legislature and governor have a lot of control over the community colleges and CSU, but the UCs are actually a constitutional entity, and so they have a lot more autonomy than the other two systems," she told me.

Seven UC system regents are ex officio members, which include not just folks like the president and vice-president of the UC Alumni Associations, but also the California Governor, Lt. Governor, and Speaker of the Assembly.

"In reality," Dr. Smith told me, "normally the governor doesn’t even attend their meetings."

Will there be cameras at the next meeting? If so, I think there is an analogy to the old Chuck Schumer joke.

"What's the most dangerous part of DC? The part between Chuck Schumer and a television camera."

What will it take to get Gavin Newsom to a Regents meeting? Television cameras."

Will there be cameras at the next meeting? If so, I think there is an analogy to the old Chuck Schumer joke.

"What's the most dangerous part of DC? The part between Chuck Schumer and a television camera."

What will it take to get Gavin Newsom to a Regents meeting? Television cameras."
Regardless of anyone's opinion on a particular politician, a "good" (whatever that means) politician never misses an opportunity to grandstand and pander to their constituency. When I first read Gov. Newsome's comments on the thread that got locked/disappeared, it sounds like he had something to back himself up. Even if he doesn't, that is a pretty big move by UCLA, one of the two most prominent UCal system Universities--a courtesy call by UCLA would have been wise on their part. As RU has learned, it is good to have the Gov. in your corner.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Regardless of anyone's opinion on a particular politician, a "good" (whatever that means) politician never misses an opportunity to grandstand and pander to their constituency. When I first read Gov. Newsome's comments on the thread that got locked/disappeared, it sounds like he had something to back himself up. Even if he doesn't, that is a pretty big move by UCLA, one of the two most prominent UCal system Universities--a courtesy call by UCLA would have been wise on their part. As RU has learned, it is good to have the Gov. in your corner.

I can understand why UCLA kept it under wraps. Someone in the UC Regents would have leaked. The UC Regents HQ is in Oakland - just a few miles from UC Berkeley. The UCB folks would have completely flipped out on the news.

I can understand why UCLA kept it under wraps. Someone in the UC Regents would have leaked. The UC Regents HQ is in Oakland - just a few miles from UC Berkeley. The UCB folks would have completely flipped out on the news.
Or maybe not. Many UCB faculty (and probably some admins) would be happy to see Cal exit big time athletics.

A thought on Clemson - IMO, that school is more coach than institution. The Big 12 didn’t add for Boise State for a similar reason. What does Clemson offer that South Carolina doesn’t already provide to the SEC?
Even with the coach, we’re not even sure how the coach will do without his two long time assistants. It’s unknown. Is he like Saban where things just chug along without a hitch, is it like Orgeron where it falls apart or something in between? If it’s not scenario one then do they still offer the same value tv wise?

A thought on Clemson - IMO, that school is more coach than institution. The Big 12 didn’t add for Boise State for a similar reason. What does Clemson offer that South Carolina doesn’t already provide to the SEC?
Yes, reviewing their W-L records under different coaches, they had small spurts of success, but Danny Ford had sustained success in the 1970s-80s, but after that, it was hit or miss until Dabo got it rolling in 2011.

I'm not attempting to digress, but I couldn't resist. Whenever "good" Gov. Murphy decides to next run for whatever he decides to run for, it might be interesting if he comments on how much of a help (if any) he was with the Trenton commitment of $$$ for RU that seemed to coincide almost exactly with the latest B1G expansion. I'm sure if it's politically prudent, he'll use it to his advantage. If not, he'll never mention it! I guess I'm not that much different than him...if he had a big hand in getting RU the $$$, then I love the Guv! If he didn't...he's just another politician 🙂. GO RU!

I'm not attempting to digress, but I couldn't resist. Whenever "good" Gov. Murphy decides to next run for whatever he decides to run for, it might be interesting if he comments on how much of a help (if any) he was with the Trenton commitment of $$$ for RU that seemed to coincide almost exactly with the latest B1G expansion. I'm sure if it's politically prudent, he'll use it to his advantage. If not, he'll never mention it! I guess I'm not that much different than him...if he had a big hand in getting RU the $$$, then I love the Guv! If he didn't...he's just another politician 🙂. GO RU!
Either way is fine with me as long as Rutgers got the money.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Each new member needs to bring 100 million plus in media rights or they're not getting invited. Do you think Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin etc would take a loss financially to add these teams.... Fuggeettaabboutit!!
The San Francisco Bay Area is the sixth largest media market in the nation. Sacramento, an hour's drive away, is the 20th largest media market. So Cal and Stanford have a lot to offer.

That is why the B1G is smart, they aren't inviting Stanford. Notre Dame will decide whether to join the B1G based on the optimum revenue maximization for Notre Dame and nothing else. Notre Dame is not fixated on AAU memberships or maintaining current rivalries, it is all about the $s.
If it's all about the $$$ for Notre Dame, Notre Dame would have joined a conference a long time ago. I don't deny that money is a factor, but it were the only factor, ND would be in the BigTen.

As for attracting ND with other schools, the BigTen is better off looking to the Southeast and bringing in UVa, UNC or even GT. ND recruits a lot of talent from those areas.

When Ronald Reagan was governor (1967-1975), he attended virtually every Board of Regents meeting. I know because I would go to the small press conferences he would hold after each meeting. The University was an issue in state-wide politics, so it made sense for him to go. I'm sure Newsom would attend if he saw a political point in doing that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If it's all about the $$$ for Notre Dame, Notre Dame would have joined a conference a long time ago. I don't deny that money is a factor, but it were the only factor, ND would be in the BigTen.

As for attracting ND with other schools, the BigTen is better off looking to the Southeast and bringing in UVa, UNC or even GT. ND recruits a lot of talent from those areas.
What do you think it's about for Notre Dame other than the money?

What do you think it's about for Notre Dame other than the money?
Maintaining its brand; playing a diverse schedule across the country; keeping the alumni happy. ND could join the BigTen today and make 3x what it's making off the NBC contract. As an ND alum, I think bringing in USC makes the BigTen more attractive, but not enough to give up on ND's independence.

Maintaining its brand; playing a diverse schedule across the country; keeping the alumni happy. ND could join the BigTen today and make 3x what it's making off the NBC contract. As an ND alum, I think bringing in USC makes the BigTen more attractive, but not enough to give up on ND's independence.
ND endowment fund 13 billion. Rutgers less then 2. Maximizing $$ from sports less important for ND and allows them to prioritize other goals you mention.

At the latest, I think whenever the ACC breaks up (ACC GOR expiration time) is when ND finally joins.

Thanks! That shows a focus on the long-term brand rather than short-term profit ,and it's hard for me to criticize anyone willing to think about the long term.

Reactions: irishflu92
The San Francisco Bay Area is the sixth largest media market in the nation. Sacramento, an hour's drive away, is the 20th largest media market. So Cal and Stanford have a lot to offer.

I think the Big 10 will eventually need to add more western teams. I can't see how USC/UCLA are forced to play on an "island" for every sport forever.

Adding on to the comment that NorCal includes the #6 and #20 media markets in the country, this is also the wealthiest. At an MSA level, the San Jose and San Francisco areas have the highest GDP per capita - by far - in the country.

One caveat: MSA definitions are a bit weird. Northern California is broken into >6 MSAs, while the entire NYC region is one MSA. Take the data will a grain of salt, but the wealth point still holds about NorCal. #3 is Seattle. Sacramento and Portland are middle of the pack of the top 50 in the USA.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP,

At the latest, I think whenever the ACC breaks up (ACC GOR expiration time) is when ND finally joins.
You're probably right. At that point, I think ND may be shut out of whatever playoff structure the BigTen and SEC may concoct. As someone else pointed out in this thread, that's the only way ND joins a conference. And, if the ACC breaks up, there's a good chance some former ACC schools join the BigTen. With USC, Michigan, MSU, and some among UVa, UNC, GT, etc., that's an attractive conference for ND.

You're probably right. At that point, I think ND may be shut out of whatever playoff structure the BigTen and SEC may concoct. As someone else pointed out in this thread, that's the only way ND joins a conference. And, if the ACC breaks up, there's a good chance some former ACC schools join the BigTen. With USC, Michigan, MSU, and some among UVa, UNC, GT, etc., that's an attractive conference for ND.
Thats what I mentioned last summer when I thought it was a good idea for the B10 to go national in response to the SEC. You may just snag ND in the process. Make it a “cozy inviting” home…as in a national conference with a bunch of long time rivals.

Reactions: irishflu92
Not likely that would be the solution but it was a suggested solution. The other was an extended buy in period.

The premise though isn't necessarily a wrong one depending on what you think the future potential is. You take the short term pain with outlook for greater value down the line. The value they bring today isn't necessarily the value they bring tomorrow. VCs and investors put money into companies that currently aren't profitable with the expectation they will be profitable and successful in the future. There has been a little madness on that in recent times but the general idea isn't always a bad one.

Clemson is thought to be a good get and shoe in for the SEC but what were they 10-15 years ago. It's because of their recent performance their value has gone up. We don't even know how Dabo will do with the loss of his 2 long time coordinators. Is he closer to Saban or Orgeron? We don't know, yet people assign high value to them because of recent performance. They don't bring a new territory to the SEC either.

IMO, you have to see if the institutional commitment to improve and elevate oneself is there. Oregon is dependent on Knight money so I'd want to know what happens after Knight passes. Washington did get Peterson out of Boise and had the willingness to fire an unsuccessful coach after 2 years. Do they have potential to be ranked teams and make playoffs in the future with the added exposure and resources of the B10? Can they create more than just late night west coast inventory but also rivalries and ranked must see matchups that draw those 3-4M viewerships the networks crave? I think quite possibly the answer is yes. It's also good just structurally for the conference to have more than just the lone outpost of USC/UCLA in the west.

So I don't just write them off because of their current value but you have to figure out what their potential future value to the conference may be. Structurally, I still think 1-3 schools from the west will be added in the future. I'd guess those candidates would be Stanford (with ND), Washington and Oregon. I don't know when but I just don't think the long term plan for the B10 is to leave USC/UCLA out there alone indefinitely.
I would agree with a lot of those points.. Interesting youtuber video where he has a consultant talking about schools valuation and what the B1G is looking for. Made the point that in the end the B1G schools are massive institutions that operate and make decisions based on institutional sized cost benefit analysis. Lots of good graphics and info here.

B1G school evaluations

Not all his thoughts are diamonds but made some interesting points

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I would agree with a lot of those points.. Interesting youtuber video where he has a consultant talking about schools valuation and what the B1G is looking for. Made the point that in the end the B1G schools are massive institutions that operate and make decisions based on institutional sized cost benefit analysis. Lots of good graphics and info here.

B1G school evaluations

Not all his thoughts are diamonds but made some interesting points
Yea someone posted that video a couple days ago. Some good info in there.

everyone is focusing on national media rights since they have risen astronomically. But…
Cable subs are still part of the equation. Even in 2022.

USC and UCLA will get the higher rate per sub in the LA market for BTN, but maybe not in the San Fran market. Stanford and Cal, together would cement the entire state of California at the higher per sub rate. This is in addition to whatever value they add to the national media rights.
Since we’ve entered the CA market, let’s go ahead and monetize all of it.

I've been meaning to ask this:

Why exactly does the Big Ten need UCLA then?
Wouldn't having USC in market get the higher rate per sub? Similar to when Rutgers/Maryland joined?
I would assume the BTN wouldn't need all Div-1A football programs in market to justify the increased rate.
Just one team?

Is UCLA going to move the needle that much on the national media contract?
Why not make the #16 school in a different market to get increased rates somewhere else?

Wouldn't having USC in market get the higher rate per sub? Similar to when Rutgers/Maryland joined?
I would assume the BTN wouldn't need all Div-1A football programs in market to justify the increased rate.
Just one team?

Why not make the #16 school in a different market to get increased rates somewhere else?
I suppose it could be seen in the same way Texas was even though SEC already had A&M. Texas adds value regardless of A&M but also I suppose it’s just deeper penetration into Texas. UCLA isn’t Texas but in the same fashion maybe adds deeper penetration and negotiating leverage for in market rates in LA.

Just one team?

Make take is the Big Ten's total dominance of the #2 market in the country. Why share the stage when you can kill all of the inhabitants and salt the Earth?

Reactions: NickRU714

Pac 12 Network is 18 million. BTW, I didn't previously realize this. The Big 10 Network is joint venture between Fox and the Big 10. The Pac 12 owns all of their network.

ADVERTISEMENT