ADVERTISEMENT

What did Tominaga say?

He 100% did. WTF are you looking at?
He’s our resident board contrarian who has to lecture all of us on how much more he knows about the game. Total sell job that backfired. He thought he would get the call because they had already had so many go their way.

He’s our resident board contrarian who has to lecture all of us on how much more he knows about the game. Total sell job that backfired. He thought he would get the call because they had already had so many go their way.
My Paul mulcahy stinks take turned out pretty good didn’t it? Sorry that offended you

Reactions: RULegacy
He came down on Noah's freaking foot... That's what knocked him off balance and is why he fell. There's no question about that.
AZ, what gave it away, for me (and maybe the ref saw it this way too), was the way Tominaga threw the ball up. He wasn’t really trying to make the shot (an air ball with no chance), because he was just hoping to draw a foul. Maybe if he hadn’t flopped twice before, the refs would’ve given him the benefit of the doubt.

Call me whatever names you want, but I have to agree with FInalFourOrBust.. I watched the replay of the shot many times in slow motion (0.25 speed) and I don't see it the way you guys do. Tominaga was already in the air shooting when Noah, and his foot (that Tominaga's left foot landed on) finally stopped moving forward and planted. I'm glad that no foul was called, but Tominaga didn't flop and I do not see him intentionally extending his left leg toward Noah's foot. It looks more like his right leg moved backward and to the right slightly, away from Noah, but his left foot came straight down onto Noah's foot.
Lol

It’s obvious to anyone who isn’t a homer. I’m glad it wasn’t called too but it is what it is. These same people would be crying “Rutgers screw” if the situation was reversed.
If our shooter landed on a defenders foot in perfect defending position lmao wtf are you even saying

Tominaga flopped the whole night, I have to give the refs some credit here because they were god awful all night. I don’t think he went to the foul line once. Tho last year Paul got teed up for doing what this kid did tonight.

If our shooter landed on a defenders foot in perfect defending position lmao wtf are you even saying

Okay, but Noah's foot (in "perfect defending position" as you call it) was not there when Tominaga went up for the shot. Noah stepped forward towards Tominaga, planted his feet, and then stopped and leaned backward, all while Tominaga was in the air taking the shot. That's the part we don't agree on, and is why some people might have thought it could have resulted in a controversial foul call on Noah (if Noah was required to give the shooter space to land), as opposed to a controversial flopping call on Tominaga... No call was probably the best choice in that situation though.

If you watch that replay there really is no flare of the leg. Not sure college vs NBA rules but if the rule is you have to let him land that could easily be called a foul. I like the refs letting it go bc it wasn't that bad and tominaga was looking desperate

Reactions: RUMorrisTech
_cuk Tominaga. I too saw the play from the comfort of my TV screen 3,000 miles away, and whether he landed on Noah's foot or not, for me was too freakin' bad. His reaction WAS a pretend flop backwards. No way did landing on Noah's foot cause that. I think the official in that situation and that part of the game made the right no call. Tominaga just chucked up the ball from downtown New Brunswick hoping to get a call and airballed it. Call it a hometown call or not, but after the blatant no-calls by Kelly Pfeifer earlier in the game to get Pike's first technical of the season, when Cliff was hacked under the basket, this "no-call" was the perfect call in that situation.

If you watch that replay there really is no flare of the leg. Not sure college vs NBA rules but if the rule is you have to let him land that could easily be called a foul. I like the refs letting it go bc it wasn't that bad and tominaga was looking desperate

Heres a take (which I think you’re kinda getting at it):

He didn’t flare his legs and Noah absolutely did impede his ability to land safely causing him to land on Noah’s foot

BUT

tominga - while still in the air - absolutely “flopped” - feigning getting hacked in an attempt to get a b.s. call (which he had done twice previously)

I think that flopping bullshit worked against topinga - had he just taken an honest shot - without the “mid air flopping”/flailing of his arms - the ref may have more easily seen that Noah didn’t allow him to land safely.

He got too cute and it backfired

Last edited:
He came down on Noah's freaking foot... That's what knocked him off balance and is why he fell. There's no question about that.
Landing on someone's foot may make you wobble a bit. It doesn't make you fall backwards at 40mph and go sliding across the floor.

Regardless, we are told repeatedly on this board that we whine about the refs too much. Funny that when we might get a call certain people can't wait to point it out.

Reaction def a flop but watching live my first thought was oh shit did he stick his foot in exact spot he jumped from. If you watch nba (most don't here) that exact play is called a foul maybe 1/3 of the time, where they are very conscious of protecting their stars.

Not sure if anybody can relate here and totally unrelated but if you have a daughter who is a decent shooter in high school. You are VERY congnizant with this,because the majority of girls high school players don't have the physical feel/understanding for game where you don't cut a girl shooting a three, they will stick their feet under the shooter ALL THE TIME. and with girls HS refs being worst of the worst, if NEVER gets called and you see a lot of badly turned ankles at HS level and this is why. Makes me ****ing nuts.

Here's video of it. It does look like Noah stepped in, it does look like Noah's foot was stepped on, HOWEVER, it looked like Tominaga was flopping before he was even close to landing....his arms were flopping as soon as the ball left his hands

Reactions: BillyC80
AZ, what gave it away, for me (and maybe the ref saw it this way too), was the way Tominaga threw the ball up. He wasn’t really trying to make the shot (an air ball with no chance), because he was just hoping to draw a foul. Maybe if he hadn’t flopped twice before, the refs would’ve given him the benefit of the doubt.

That’s exactly my point… see above.

Had he made an honest attempt at a 3 and then landed on Noah’s foot he MIGHT have gotten the call but instead he was intent on flopping from the get-go and the ref didn’t fall for it. He was too clever for his own good

Heres a take (which I think you’re kinda getting at it):

He didn’t flare his legs and Noah absolutely did impede his ability to land safely causing timings to land on Noah’s foot

BUT

tominga - while still in the air - absolutely “flopped” - feigning getting hacked in an attempt to get a b.s. call (which he had done twice previously)

I think that flopping bullshit worked against topinga - had he just taken an honest shot - without the “mid air flopping”/flailing of his arms - the ref may have more easily seen that Noah didn’t allow him to land safely.

He got too cute and it backfired
The entire action was an intentional flop from the start not a legitimate shot effort. He does splay his legs naturally often after shooting but he spread both arms and legs immediately here. The refs properly did not bail him out. To your point if he goes up square legitimately attempting to make the shot decent chance he gets a call there.

Other than Noah catching him (which probably would have been called a foul anyway), the video shows that Noah did what he could reasonably do to back off once the shot was attempted. He acted like a very experienced player who knows the rules in this case.
I think Noah sticks his foot in there but he's savvy enough to turn around and put his hands down and look innocent. That said, he should have gotten his foot out of there and not left it to chance.

Given the distance and quality of the shot, a foul call there would have been a complete and total bail out. Maybe the refs figured they had already done enough to give Nebraska the game.

Reactions: toby83 and RUPete
He wasn't more than 20 feet from me when he made what we thought was a combo of a shush and an L (for loser) aimed at us fans, so we all kind of flipped out in our area. Smug little prick - so glad he had that airball at the end.
He was "rocking the baby" a few times during the game in front of his bench.

That is totally a foul. We got away with one. Tominaga probably has a reputation as a flopper and that along with home crowd helped us

He had flopped 3 times prior to that - 2 prior shots and once dribbling it up. He didn’t succeed once at getting a bs call and I think ultimately his flipping antics back-fired on him on that last play

Good!!!!

I hate floppers. It’s why people don’t like lebron. Just play the damn game rather than trying to fool he refs into bs calls

Hey Flopinga….. 🤫

That’s exactly my point… see above.

Had he made an honest attempt at a 3 and then landed on Noah’s foot he MIGHT have gotten the call but instead he was intent on flopping from the get-go and the ref didn’t fall for it. He was too clever for his own good
two words...
Sorry Super Mario GIF by Mashed

(NOT)

The entire action was an intentional flop from the start not a legitimate shot effort. He does splay his legs naturally often after shooting but he spread both arms and legs immediately here. The refs properly did not bail him out. To your point if he goes up square legitimately attempting to make the shot decent chance he gets a call there.
His feet are so close together when he jumps they are almost touching. No one is ever going to land like that. He didn't spread his legs out unnaturally in any way. Noah stepped in

The arms flopping likely distracted the ref and worked against him

Reactions: RedTeam1994
His feet are so close together when he jumps they are almost touching. No one is ever going to land like that. He didn't spread his legs out unnaturally in any way. Noah stepped in

The arms flopping likely distracted the ref and worked against him
Yea that’s what I said he lands that way naturally. My point was the whole effort was not a real shot it was just a hurried flop hoping to get fouled.

He flopped. Period. He was way behind the arc, didn’t look at the basket and started flopping before the release. He’s a wanted in 7 states for flopping and it’s about time the refs don’t call it for him.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Thanks.

I just watched the end of the game on TV when I got home. Was pleased to see that Simpson turned around and gave him the shush sign after is first FT that went in. 🤫
Can anyone link the video of this? Would love to see that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT