ADVERTISEMENT

What has disappeared from the Jersey landscape ?

Anyone from the Short Hills, Milburn, Livingston area remember the old castle or castle like building at the end of JFK parkway near the Short Hills Mall? It was eventually torn down for the construction of 24 (I believe that was the reason). Would be curious to know the history behind it. I believe I did read an article about it when it was still there but don't remember what was said in the article.

Yes! I remember that as a kid. I don't know the back story however.

Newark Drive-In. The Union Market. Jean's Beans and Chicken Delite on W. St. Georges Ave in Rahway. Are their still any Jimmy Buff's around?

RUforJERSEY - what town did u grow up in? I assume Union County??

-How about Walt's 42nd Street Grill - St Georges Ave, Linden, Solomon's Sporting Goods Elizabeth, Mo Levi's. Shoes Elizabeth, Tep's or Tito's pizza in Linden & Clark respectively if I remember correctly, Kiddie Mart Linden route 1/9

Yes! I remember that as a kid. I don't know the back story however.

There was an article written about it once but I don't remember the content. Everytime I would go by that place it looked creepy and uninhabited (although I think I recall a light being on in one of the rooms when I would go by at night). Usually very dark and ominous looking surrounded by woods and unkept property (at least appeared to be from the road). Great place for a haunting or horror movie.

Reactions: hinson32
Momma Boy? It was the Spindletop before Brother Bruno moved.

And before the Spindletop there was a restaurant there called "The Windmill Inn". There is a reason dutch restaurants didn't catch on.

Anyone remember the Meadowbrook in Cedar Grove?
The big bands (like Benny Goodman Orchestra) used to play at the Meadowbrook (but that was before my time).

Reactions: batts
Anyone remember the Meadowbrook in Cedar Grove?

I do. My Dad says that the Meadowbrook was a hot spot for Big Band era performers during the 30s and 40s. In the 70s and 80s, it was a bar / club / disco.

It was Cousin Bruno's - we lived across the street from that in Heritage Manor when we first got married. Brother Bruno's was all the way down Hamburg Turnpike at Ratzer Road. The building for the Swiss Chalet is still there, rotting away. I remember going to a party or two in the building after it had closed down. And it's criminal what they did with the Old Milk Barn - took it down to expand Preakness Chevy, which then closed down.
When Heritage was being built, late 70' s, you could walk out into the woods and pick your lot. Started at around $ 89,000 to $ 119,000, bought in WM instead, regular bi-level, cheaper too !

RUforJERSEY - what town did u grow up in? I assume Union County??

-How about Walt's 42nd Street Grill - St Georges Ave, Linden, Solomon's Sporting Goods Elizabeth, Mo Levi's. Shoes Elizabeth, Tep's or Tito's pizza in Linden & Clark respectively if I remember correctly, Kiddie Mart Linden route 1/9
I grew up in Linden. Remember Solomon's well.

Syd's and Mike and Lou's in Bradley Beach

The Woodbridge clay pits ( now Woodbridge Center)

The Weequahic Diner and the Claremont Diner- 2 of NJ's finest

Silver's Bakery in Newark ( or Kiel's)

Watson's Bagels

Reactions: MADHAT1
Rowe-Manse Emporium in Styretown/Clifton...I'm sure they just loved my brother/cousins and I constantly eating out of their flavored popcorn cases as 4-6 year-old kids in the early/ mid-80's. I can't remember where my Mom yelled at me more- there or Bradlee's.

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT