ADVERTISEMENT

What has disappeared from the Jersey landscape ?

It's interesting how these hot dog joints closed and then reappeared with the "heritage" name, even if they had different owners. I think the original Falls View in Paterson closed around 1985. It was awesome. Some years later (early '90s, I guess), someone resurrected the name and opened a new Falls View on Newark-Pompton Turnpike in Pequannock. Different owners, supposedly the same recipe. Who knows; it seemed different to me, though still pretty good. They then expanded into these other locations, one of which was that one on Ringwood Ave. I had heard that it was gone, and now that you mention it, I did also hear that a new Lantern opened up there. In fact, now that you mention it, @batts, I rememeber the Totowa Lantern closing, because my buddy and I made a stop there from out of area to get one more in. That was about 2002 or so. Shame... I have no idea if the new Lantern is run by the old Lantern folks.
Falls View, of course. I thought they were pretty good and the chilli dog tasty. Nothing tops the old Crystal on Albany St, NB. Just a couple doors down from the newspaper stand by the cab company. Always ate 3-4 before the rice pudding. Even after bowling, 10:30 pm. Then took RP home too.

Reactions: batts
I went there three or four times as a kid. I believe the last time was 1980. My Dad was VP of sales for a large company back in the day. Great place for big meetings. How times have changed.
Was suppose to be the salvation for North Jersey with gambling to follow. Never happened, but the 27 hole golf course was nice. Turned into a partial timeshare later. Club was fun to visit.

The Good Humor Ice Cream truck used to come to our neighborhood in Fanwood every summer evening and drew kids to it like flies. The driver's name was Cisco (an older man who had a gold tooth and often smoked cigars and referred to us as his" friendola's") and he would ring his bells in the front seat to let everyone know he was there. He often gave us a ride on the truck to the end of the neighbor hood where we then had to get off.

Reactions: RUsince52
Was suppose to be the salvation for North Jersey with gambling to follow. Never happened, but the 27 hole golf course was nice. Turned into a partial timeshare later. Club was fun to visit.

The old Playboy Club was a lot of fun to visit as a kid. They had a spa, swimming pools, game room and arcade.

This is back
Not quite
The ones I remember were actually small motor boats that ran in a narrow channel created by a bulkhead. The channel was so narrow you could not turn the boat around, but the kids actually had to steer the boat.

The old Playboy Club was a lot of fun to visit as a kid. They had a spa, swimming pools, game room and arcade.
Felt like a resort without traveling to far and also had winter activities on site. Too bad it never caught on and became a big deal, but neither did the resort's that followed once the PBC pulled out.

As a product of Hunterdon County and a kid in the 80's, definitely the Flemington Speedway, back when it was a dirt track. My uncle raced there so we'd go many Saturday evenings when I was a kid, and have fun watching him race. Used to come home covered in dirt/dust many times, but it was surreal as a kid to watch!
Who was your Uncle that raced there? Used to crew for Bill Dubovick from East Brunswick in the 70's and 80's in his sportsman # XL-1 and later when he drove for Joe Critelia #$ from Summit in the Mods.And yes the dust was amazing as came home every weekend covered.....
Also as far as defunct race tracks, Old Bridge that was on 516 were the storage center is now that used to go to as a kid in the 50's & 60's many memories there. And East Windsor on Airport road that once Old Bridge shut down started going there. Also got to know the owner though my son in the early 90's who knew the the son of the owners who raced there and also crewed for him and sold the track tires every Friday

Reactions: MulletCork
King Tut's City Gardens in Trenton. I believe I saw X and the Plasmatics there.

Levitt Jr High and JFK High School in Willingboro---both gone.

Great idea for a thread. My list includes:

Samson's, Fairfield
Two Guys, Totowa
Bradlees, Totowa
Caldor, West Paterson
Cinema 46, West Paterson/Totowa
Pilgrim State Bank, Cedar Grove
JJ Newberry, Cedar Grove/Verona
Carvel, Cedar Grove
Pals Cabin, West Orange
The Hearth, Clifton
Entenmann's, Little Falls
Channel Home Center, Cedar Grove
Rickel, Totowa
Casa di Pizza, Bloomfield/Newark
Game Town, Pine Brook
Villa d'Este, Cedar Grove
Overbrook Mental Hospital, Cedar Grove/Verona

Memories. Had a high diving board. Spent tons of time at the pool. Played my first arcade video game there around 1974? Game called Pong. Also had a game where you were a diver that had to get by sharks and pick up treasure at the bottom of the ocean. 2nd arcade video game I ever played. Don't remember the chicks and blow. Too young.

Throw in Hermann's sporting goods. And I'll ask. Is Frank's Chicken House still around?

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Bertrand Island, Beckers Farm, Dockrell's pool aka Fernwood Country Club

Remember the summer train rides at Becker's Farm as a kid. Then get chocolate (or sometimes just regular) milk from their dairy store. That indeed was a very big deal. :)

Reactions: rutino
Pals Pancake House
The arcade at Great Eastern on RT 46
Dodd's Crest
Fun house at Asbury Park

Zappa, I know you are very familiar with Monclair and the surrounding area. Across the street from Great Eastern (not across 46 but across Browertown Road) was my grandfather's poultry farm that was in operation from WWI until the late '70s. It's houses now. Similarly where I am now in Piscataway used to be surrounded by a turkey farm and dairy farm (pre route 287). That's housing now too. NJ, the Garden State, used to supply a significant amount of poultry and produce to the surrounding areas/states but nearly all of that shifted south once transportation made that more viable. I miss the many farms the state once had.

Birch Hill
Route 1 Flea Market
US1-Flea-Mkt-NJ.jpg

Chans Waikiki - Paramus
Tice and Van Riper farms - Woodcliff Lake
Tracy's 9 mile house - Little Ferry
Harry's Corner - Little Ferry
Callahan's - Little Ferry
Piro's - Haworth (now Andiamo)
Bicycle Club - Englewood cliffs
Soap Factory - Ridgefield Park
JJ Rockers - Scoth Plains
Chatterbox - Seaside
Wine Cellar - Seaside
Good n Plenty's - Hoboken
Richmond Beer Garden - Plainfield
Virgos - RT 130

Chans Waikiki - Paramus
Chatterbox - Seaside
Wine Cellar - Seaside
Virgos - RT 130

Wow, Good n' Plenty's isn't that the place that had like dollar beer night?

Reactions: KnightHound
Great idea for a thread. My list includes:

Samson's, Fairfield
Two Guys, Totowa
Bradlees, Totowa
Caldor, West Paterson
Cinema 46, West Paterson/Totowa
Pilgrim State Bank, Cedar Grove
JJ Newberry, Cedar Grove/Verona
Carvel, Cedar Grove
Pals Cabin, West Orange
The Hearth, Clifton
Entenmann's, Little Falls
Channel Home Center, Cedar Grove
Rickel, Totowa
Casa di Pizza, Bloomfield/Newark
Game Town, Pine Brook
Villa d'Este, Cedar Grove
Overbrook Mental Hospital, Cedar Grove/Verona

McCrory's Dept Stores
Peter Pan Motel, East Rutherford

Chans Waikiki - Paramus
Chatterbox - Seaside
Wine Cellar - Seaside
Virgos - RT 130

Pioneer Tavern, Iselin
Rick & Bills, Edison
Argyles, Morristown

Who was your Uncle that raced there? Used to crew for Bill Dubovick from East Brunswick in the 70's and 80's in his sportsman # XL-1 and later when he drove for Joe Critelia #$ from Summit in the Mods.And yes the dust was amazing as came home every weekend covered.....
Also as far as defunct race tracks, Old Bridge that was on 516 were the storage center is now that used to go to as a kid in the 50's & 60's many memories there. And East Windsor on Airport road that once Old Bridge shut down started going there. Also got to know the owner though my son in the early 90's who knew the the son of the owners who raced there and also crewed for him and sold the track tires every Friday

Mike Corcoran---he drove the # 357 car. He raced there for quite a while, from the late models, to the sportsman and finally to the modified. Won the championships in the 1st two, as I recall. This was during mostly the mid to late 80's.
As a young kid, man, it was a thrill to watch the cars race.

Have a ton of these old programs--found this picture online just now. Good times!

$_1.JPG

Saint Cecelias Iselin Fair ... Great ribs and fried Pizza ... Was held for about 70 years before finally stopping in 2011

Willie's Wings on Commercial Ave in NB. Loved that place. I'm a chicken wing connoisseur and I can tell you that Willie's had the best wings on the planet.

Yes, that's right; I've tried the wings in every other place on the planet and they don't compare.

Patti's on Bartlett
Goal post dismantling at Princeton Rutgers football games at Palmer stadium
Grease trucks on College Ave

Bars / Clubs that I used to frequent in the 70s and 80s:

Rum Cellar in Pequannok
Slaters Mill in Riverdale
The Getaway in Wayne
The Red Baron in Cedar Grove
Bill Budds in Fairfield
Joey Harrisons in Clifton
The Hill Top in Boonton
Mothers which became Bentleys in Wayne
Nathan Detroit in Wayne
Victoria Station in Wayne
The Sandwich Pub in Wayne
Butterfield in Lodi (I think)
Crystal Bay in Wayne
Boodles in Pompton Lakes

Zappa, I know you are very familiar with Monclair and the surrounding area. Across the street from Great Eastern (not across 46 but across Browertown Road) was my grandfather's poultry farm that was in operation from WWI until the late '70s. It's houses now. Similarly where I am now in Piscataway used to be surrounded by a turkey farm and dairy farm (pre route 287). That's housing now too. NJ, the Garden State, used to supply a significant amount of poultry and produce to the surrounding areas/states but nearly all of that shifted south once transportation made that more viable. I miss the many farms the state once had.
I remember your farm vividly!
We passed O'Dowds dairy farm on the way to Great Eastern as well.
We had an egg-man and a milk-man deliver to our house as a kid!

Bars / Clubs that I used to frequent in the 70s and 80s:

Rum Cellar in Pequannok
Slaters Mill in Riverdale
The Getaway in Wayne
The Red Baron in Cedar Grove
Bill Budds in Fairfield
Joey Harrisons in Clifton
The Hill Top in Boonton
Mothers which became Bentleys in Wayne
Nathan Detroit in Wayne
Victoria Station in Wayne
The Sandwich Pub in Wayne
Butterfield in Lodi (I think)
Crystal Bay in Wayne
Boodles in Pompton Lakes
When I was in high school at DePaul, the Sandwich Pub used to kill me on a chilly October or November late afternoon. Football practice would be in its 14th hour (or seemed like it), and they would be frying onions. That smell used to come wafting out of their kitchen, and our practice field was right behind their parking lot. I hadn't eaten since like 11 in the morning, and was starving, and that smell would make me a lunatic. I loved going there on Wednesday nights just a few years later....

The Crystal Bay, later the Waterfront, was my "home field" for my early 20s. Loved it. Watched the O.J. white Bronco chase there.

Reactions: batts
I remember your farm vividly!
We passed O'Dowds dairy farm on the way to Great Eastern as well.
We had an egg-man and a milk-man deliver to our house as a kid!

Thanks Zap. I spent many weeks in many Summer's working on the farm as well as virtually every holiday and most Sunday's for years. I can't bring myself to ride by it and prefer to remember it as it was.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT