ADVERTISEMENT

What has disappeared from the Jersey landscape ?

Union RT 22 Drive in Movies Theatre.or one in Toms River on Rt 37. .

Wild Mouse - Seaside
Sears on Albany St - now on Rt# 1 for many years
Nash Rambler
Skywriting with smoke from planes
Beefalo farm near Quakerbridge (Princeton)

What do you remember as a kid that was a fun thing to do or a place to go, but is now gone ?

A few things come to mind right away - Steward Root Beer Stands and Drive-in movies. Still have a drive-in, but it's across the NY border in Warwick, NY. Real nice setting on a stary night.

There are 2 Stwart Root Beer Stands still around.

One in Denville and One on Route 46 on the Rockaway/Dover Border

Reactions: RUsince52
Bars / Clubs that I used to frequent in the 70s and 80s:

Mothers which became Bentleys in Wayne
Victoria Station in Wayne
The Sandwich Pub in Wayne
Boodles in Pompton Lakes
Mothers was also called FM Station for a while, and existed under a 3rd name I can't recall. Then it became a NJ Transit Park and Ride.

They just recently tore down that Victoria Station building on Hamburg Turnpike - within the past 6 months. And I'd forgotten all about the Sandwich Pub.

Also in Pompton Lakes was the Firehouse Pub.

Reactions: batts
Thanks Zap. I spent many weeks in many Summer's working on the farm as well as virtually every holiday and most Sunday's for years. I can't bring myself to ride by it and prefer to remember it as it was.
I hear you, when I was a kid, driving west on Eagle Rock Ave toward Roseland and Becker Farm or RT 10 toward East Hanover was considered a ride in the country.
How things have changed!

Reactions: mcbabz
Mothers was also called FM Station for a while, and existed under a 3rd name I can't recall. Then it became a NJ Transit Park and Ride.

They just recently tore down that Victoria Station building on Hamburg Turnpike - within the past 6 months. And I'd forgotten all about the Sandwich Pub.

Mothers > Michael's > Bentley's > FM Station > Mothers > Park and Ride

When I was in high school at DePaul, the Sandwich Pub used to kill me on a chilly October or November late afternoon. Football practice would be in its 14th hour (or seemed like it), and they would be frying onions. That smell used to come wafting out of their kitchen, and our practice field was right behind their parking lot. I hadn't eaten since like 11 in the morning, and was starving, and that smell would make me a lunatic. I loved going there on Wednesday nights just a few years later....

The Crystal Bay, later the Waterfront, was my "home field" for my early 20s. Loved it. Watched the O.J. white Bronco chase there.

That's right. The Depaul High School fields were adjacent to the rear parking lot of the Sandwich Pub.

Mrs Jay's Beer Garden in Asbury Park. Best. Bar. Ever.

And while we're at it, Montego Bay, Polo Club, Key Largo, The Royal Manor and The Green Parrot.

The Pool Bar at the Warren Hotel in Spring Lake. Truely one of the greatest Jersey shore hangouts ever! Sunday afternoons were unbelievable. Nothing fancy just an small in ground pool and an oversized yard shed for a bar. A1 talent all around. I Cry a little bit inside when I drive by and see all the Mc Mansions in its place.

Anyone from the Short Hills, Milburn, Livingston area remember the old castle or castle like building at the end of JFK parkway near the Short Hills Mall? It was eventually torn down for the construction of 24 (I believe that was the reason). Would be curious to know the history behind it. I believe I did read an article about it when it was still there but don't remember what was said in the article.

To twist this a little bit, one place that seems like it should live only in the world of long forgotten NJ, but is still there, is Bowcraft.

I remember the first time my dad took me to Bowcraft. He just said, "we're going to Bowcraft," and I thought it was some type of craft store. Needless to say, I was surprised in the best possible way when we got there.

Action Park.. of course.. so much blood and fun, but mostly blood.

Arcades...

Those indoor flea markets (North Jersey, not sure they exist anywhere else) Kind of a cross between a flea market and a mall.

Bars / Clubs that I used to frequent in the 70s and 80s:

Rum Cellar in Pequannok
Slaters Mill in Riverdale
The Getaway in Wayne
The Red Baron in Cedar Grove
Bill Budds in Fairfield
Joey Harrisons in Clifton
The Hill Top in Boonton
Mothers which became Bentleys in Wayne
Nathan Detroit in Wayne
Victoria Station in Wayne
The Sandwich Pub in Wayne
Butterfield in Lodi (I think)
Crystal Bay in Wayne
Boodles in Pompton Lakes
Wasn't the Sandwich Pub located in the old Howard Johnson bldg ? If so it should count twice.

Here's a cool one for any Passaic/Essex County old timers:
Willowbrook mall was a skating rink and a riding stable!
Singac - little falls along the river was fishing camps.
Awesome. Is that why the Russian Hall was located there because of an ample supply of sturgeon ?

Reactions: zappaa
I remember your farm vividly!
We passed O'Dowds dairy farm on the way to Great Eastern as well.
We had an egg-man and a milk-man deliver to our house as a kid!
My grandfather was a milkman and carpenter back in the 20' s according to my dad. He delivered milk in a horse and wagon in NB, house to house.

Reactions: LocalDC

And Ben Franklin store. Actually sold some nice electric trains for a dept store.

Also the Milk Barn. What was the name of the restaurant just up from the new Quick Check gas station on Hamburg Tpke toward Wayne ? Mom's or momma' s ?
Momma Boy? It was the Spindletop before Brother Bruno moved

There use to be a bar across from the Milk Barn that I use to go to.

leaving a can outside your front steps and having Charlie Chips deliver a new can of potato chips

Dam! forgot about Charlies, we had them deliver to us in the round tin. We also used to have the soda guy deliver once a week as well. You would be able to mix and match your flavors, they would give you a plastic tray with glass bottles that had rubber plunger tops on them similar to the top of a Grolsch beer bottle.

I think it was the Green Terrace which later became The Getaway, which now is an Italian Restaurant.

Also the Milk Barn. What was the name of the restaurant just up from the new Quick Check gas station on Hamburg Tpke toward Wayne ? Mom's or momma' s ?

The Swiss Chateau was around there too.
It was Cousin Bruno's - we lived across the street from that in Heritage Manor when we first got married. Brother Bruno's was all the way down Hamburg Turnpike at Ratzer Road. The building for the Swiss Chalet is still there, rotting away. I remember going to a party or two in the building after it had closed down. And it's criminal what they did with the Old Milk Barn - took it down to expand Preakness Chevy, which then closed down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT