ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm Hearing

ouchmyknee

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Hoboken, NJ
I was a guest at the Monmouth game on Monday and was able to have a conversation with someone who is pretty in the know with what's going on at RU. Anyways, after being told of the Sanders suspension, the conversation of course shifted to EJ. The person I was speaking to was pretty adamant that EJ had to go, but said the administration was still on the fence about what they'll do. It seems as though they'd like to give EJ one more year to prove himself (which gets them one year closer to the practice facility), but don't want to extend until then. They were weighing how much of an impact it would have on recruiting, but the general consensus was that in light of current recruiting it wouldn't have a ton of impact.

The conversation then shifted to possible replacements. The person I was speaking to seemed pretty sure that feelers have been put out there (which was similar to what we saw with the football hiring). I asked if previous P5 head coaching experience was going to be a prerequisite and was told, "not necessarily". The names I was given were not all too surprising, except for "taking a flyer on someone like Patrick Ewing". I don't know if he was joking about that.
  • Steve Masiello
  • Herb Sendek
  • Steve Lavin
  • Tommy Amaker
  • Jeff Boals
  • Bacari Alexander
  • Kenny Payne
  • Patrick Ewing

I was a guest at the Monmouth game on Monday and was able to have a conversation with someone who is pretty in the know with what's going on at RU. Anyways, after being told of the Sanders suspension, the conversation of course shifted to EJ. The person I was speaking to was pretty adamant that EJ had to go, but said the administration was still on the fence about what they'll do. It seems as though they'd like to give EJ one more year to prove himself (which gets them one year closer to the practice facility), but don't want to extend until then. They were weighing how much of an impact it would have on recruiting, but the general consensus was that in light of current recruiting it wouldn't have a ton of impact.

The conversation then shifted to possible replacements. The person I was speaking to seemed pretty sure that feelers have been put out there (which was similar to what we saw with the football hiring). I asked if previous P5 head coaching experience was going to be a prerequisite and was told, "not necessarily". The names I was given were not all too surprising, except for "taking a flyer on someone like Patrick Ewing". I don't know if he was joking about that.
  • Steve Masiello
  • Herb Sendek
  • Steve Lavin
  • Tommy Amaker
  • Jeff Boals
  • Bacari Alexander
  • Kenny Payne
  • Patrick Ewing

Unimpressive list IMO. We could do better....I hope.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Ewing would either be a grand slam or a disaster of epic proportions. With our luck, I'd lean toward the latter. The NY media would pay attention (at first) that's for sure.
NBA coach - been there, done that.

And after football, when only one poster (OneTimePoster27) had the scoop, I don't believe anything written on this board about who staying and whose getting fired.

Last edited:
well if they were on the fence before the Sanders news, have to think this pushes them more towards moving on..that you say they are putting feelers out seems to indicate they are willing

as for your list, I like no make that love that Sendek's name keeps popping up. He along with Amaker are in my top 2. It looks like they would want to go with a guy with major Power 5 experience even as an assistant. Boals and Alexander are interesting names. Not a fan at all of anybody else and Ewing would be a joke and it probably was a joke

Reactions: RU MAN

• Steve Masiello
  • Herb Sendek
  • Steve Lavin
  • Tommy Amaker
  • Jeff Boals
  • Bacari Alexander
  • Kenny Payne
  • Patrick Ewing

Does that mean because recruiting is awful, it wont change things?

Does that mean because recruiting is awful, it wont change things?

That's how I took it. We're less than two months from NSD, and we have an open scholarship, two guys with no ratings and very limited offers, and a 3* guy from the Canary Islands with limited offers.

There's going to be maybe one open scholarship next year (possibly two), which is entirely based on what happens with Freeman and if anyone transfers. Why would we suddenly expect this staff to fill that slot with an elite recruit?

There is more interest beyond ouch's list and names beyond that list. I have heard a few things but that doesn't mean much because nothing is close to finalized or even approaching anything that way. The losing streak has obviously been picked up on the radar of agents representing coaches, coaches working elsewhere and understanding this is still a B1G job, with big pay representing it in comparison to other mid-major jobs.

I don't see anyway Masiello would be a legitimate candidate after his USF/degree debacle, but I could be wrong. It's really a matter of what Hobbs is going to look for in a candidate and whether he's going to give Eddie another year or not is the question. I can't see anyway he earns another year or an extension, so logically speaking a change has to be a strong consideration. There are quality candidates that would do more with this roster on both ends of the floor and RU needs a shot in the arm that shows on gamedays.

NCAA head coaching will be a must. Under-the-radar coaches at FGCU, Northern Iowa, and North Florida will be considered. Program builders, talent evaluators, resourceful recruiters (foreigners, JUCOs, transfers, graduate transfer), successful teams that rely on 3-ball shooting. Solid resumes. The FGCU and North Florida coaches have roots in (West Orange) NJ and (Pittsburgh) PA. The Northern Iowa coach has a strong Midwest background that could help immensely with Big Ten recruiting until sustained winning opens NJ recruiting doors.

Last edited:
Agree that Ewing would prob not be a good hire here. As Local Shill said, it'd either be a grand slam or a failure of epic proportions and since this is RU, probably the latter. Though he is intriguing. I think I'd lean towards Sendek, though you have to wonder if Hobbs goes the tOSU assistant route again. Boals is considered to be a great coach. And, I'd love to see what Payne could do with his own program.

First and foremost, I'm a Sendek supporter... and have been since his days at NC State. He got a raw deal down on Tobacco Road. Wolfpack fans kicked him out of town for one reason: his lousy record vs. UNC and Duke. The man can coach and lead a program.

I'm surprised Mike Lonergan's name was not mentioned. If we can't get Sendek, I'd be more than happy with Lonergan. I think he could be another John Beilein.

Way to go Classof76RU! Someone is paying attention and noticing......ahhhhhh.....contradictions.

Cant wait for NewJerseyHawk response.

There probably won't be a change, but, if there was a change I'll go back to the guy I wanted the last time.....Masielo

I agree .. the list is pretty unimpressive but I'd take any one of them over Jordan. Ewing seems pretty funny.

I took this to mean whether EJ is gone or not.
I thought it meant Danny. And I dont see inconsistency in Hawks answer. Just because there is broader interest then the OP list doesn't change the name that is top of the list and fills numerous qualities RU needs.

Amaker is the right guy to take this challenge. He can recruit and has instant credibility. He did it at Seton Hall; turned around Harvard and now its time to come back to the big leagues. Tommy can flat out coach and I believe we would become very competitive. He could maybe convince Sanders to stay as well. Probably one of very few who could pull that off.

Amaker is the right guy to take this challenge. He can recruit and has instant credibility. He did it at Seton Hall; turned around Harvard and now its time to come back to the big leagues. Tommy can flat out coach and I believe we would become very competitive. He could maybe convince Sanders to stay as well. Probably one of very few who could pull that off.

Rutgers cannot lure Amaker here. Who's your next choice?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

please....you guys are underestimating what is needed here!

Young up and coming guy is needed....tons of energy.

anyone who has failed before eliminate from the list

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fired does not equal "failed" IMO

Sometimes a school and fan base get bored and need a fresh start (Sendek)

You look at the resumes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I believe this. Think a non-psychotic Mike Rice type.

Reactions: ru8081
There probably won't be a change

I'm pretty sure you were saying this, about football, all season long. Possibly right up until the day Fudd was fired. If I'm thinking of someone else (there were, maybe, 10 posters as such...), I apologize!

The conversation then shifted to possible replacements.
  • Steve Masiello
  • Herb Sendek
  • Steve Lavin
  • Tommy Amaker
  • Jeff Boals
  • Bacari Alexander
  • Kenny Payne
  • Patrick Ewing

Fire Masiello!
Fire Sendek!
Fire Lavin!
Fire Amaker!
Fire Boals!
Fire Alexander!
Fire Payne!
Fire Ewing!

Just want to be on record as the first poster who knew he (whoever that he is) wouldn't get it done. No one else can say they knew it before me.

I believe this. Think a non-psychotic Mike Rice type.

We had up and coming guys in Waters, Hill and Rice. If a change is coming Sendak seems perfect. Three different teams to the Big Dance and P5 experience. We now need experience, not rolling the dice...again, again and again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT