ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm Hearing

Someone like Sendek could have a fire lit under their belly to prove their former employer (ASU) wrong.

If looking to prove former employer wrong, I doubt an undertaking like this would be the way to go. A step in and win right away situation would be more appealing if that's the incentive.

He left NC State because he was going to be fired.

So what?? Yes, the pressure was on, because he couldn't beat Duke and UNC ....GEEEEEE THAT REALLY SUCKS...you should want to KILL for a guy who could do this in Piscataway!! You literally just throw shit up against the wall hoping it will stick by spinning things around to make it fit your agenda. The guy took them to 5 consecutive NCAA tournaments - HIS FINAL 5 YEARS THERE - after rebuilding a program that Les Robinson destroyed. HERE ARE THE FACTS:

Les Robinson (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1990–1996)
1990–91 Les Robinson 20–11 8–6 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
1991–92 Les Robinson 12–18 6–10 7th
1992–93 Les Robinson 8–19 2–14 T–8th
1993–94 Les Robinson 11–19 5–11 9th
1994–95 Les Robinson 12–15 4–12 8th
1995–96 Les Robinson 15–16 3–13 9th
Les Robinson: 78–98 28–66

Herb Sendek (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1996–2006)
1996–97 Herb Sendek 17–15 4–12 8th NIT Second Round
1997–98 Herb Sendek 17–15 5–11 8th NIT Second Round
1998–99 Herb Sendek 19–14 6–10 5th NIT Second Round
1999–00 Herb Sendek 20–14 6–10 6th NIT Semifinals
2000–01 Herb Sendek 13–16 5–11 7th
2001–02 Herb Sendek 23–11 9–7 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
2002–03 Herb Sendek 18–13 9–7 4th NCAA First Round
2003–04 Herb Sendek 21–10 11–5 2nd NCAA Second Round
2004–05 Herb Sendek 21–14 7–9 T–6th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005–06 Herb Sendek 22–10 10–6 4th NCAA Second Round

He went 105 and 58 over his last 5 seasons. THIS IS A FACT. Open your eyes, check your facts, com'on man!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
Sendek seems like a good choice . How well does he recruit ?
One of the key components of recruiting in Sendek's career has been the role of the assistant coaches. He has targeted men that will become head coaches in a short amount of time. For example, some of the assistants he has had over the years are:
· John Groce, Ohio (2008-2012), Illinois (2012-present)
· Larry Hunter, Western Carolina (2005–present)
· Dedrique Taylor, Cal State Fullerton (2013–present)
· Thad Matta, Butler (2000-2001), Xavier (2001-2004), Ohio State (2004-present)
· Archie Miller, Dayton (2011–present)
· Sean Miller, Xavier (2004-2009), Arizona (2009-present)
· James Whitford, Ball State (2013–present)

The assistants recruit and Sendek closes the deal.

Here is a trivia question for you.....who was the last Rutgers assistant coach that went on to become a college HC?
Answer: Tod Kowalczyk. He was an assistant for Kevin Bannon and has been a HC at Wisconsin-Green Bay and currently is the HC at Toledo. That's almost 20 years ago since we have had an assistant move on up!

One of the key components of recruiting in Sendek's career has been the role of the assistant coaches. He has targeted men that will become head coaches in a short amount of time. For example, some of the assistants he has had over the years are:
· John Groce, Ohio (2008-2012), Illinois (2012-present)
· Larry Hunter, Western Carolina (2005–present)
· Dedrique Taylor, Cal State Fullerton (2013–present)
· Thad Matta, Butler (2000-2001), Xavier (2001-2004), Ohio State (2004-present)
· Archie Miller, Dayton (2011–present)
· Sean Miller, Xavier (2004-2009), Arizona (2009-present)
· James Whitford, Ball State (2013–present)

The assistants recruit and Sendek closes the deal.

Here is a trivia question for you.....who was the last Rutgers assistant coach that went on to become a college HC?
Answer: Tod Kowalczyk. He was an assistant for Kevin Bannon and has been a HC at Wisconsin-Green Bay and currently is the HC at Toledo. That's almost 20 years ago since we have had an assistant move on up!
Danny Hurley too

NCAA head coaching will be a must. Under-the-radar coaches at FGCU, Northern Iowa, and North Florida will be considered. Program builders, talent evaluators, resourceful recruiters (foreigners, JUCOs, transfers, graduate transfer), successful teams that rely on 3-ball shooting. Solid resumes. The FGCU and North Florida coaches have roots in (West Orange) NJ and (Pittsburgh) PA. The Northern Iowa coach has a strong Midwest background that could help
immensely with Big Ten recruiting until sustained winning opens NJ recruiting doors.
Just my opinion, but that is a bad idea. Like it or not, but the next set of players will not be playing for Rutgers they will be playing for our coach. Right now we have absolutely nothing to sell to kids. And "selling a vision" is a joke when you have a practice facility marginally better than high school gyms and 2500 people in the stands every game if we are lucky. A good x's and o's coach be good enough to get us 18-20 loses instead of 24-26 loses. People keep on bringing up the success of Waters but our program is in much much worse condition than it was then. We will continue to have losing seasons until we get that name coach. Even if that coach is two or three coaches down the line.

Nuts...then why was he going to be fired? They didn't believe he could get over the hump.

We disagree, that's OK. I have no agenda. I just think we need a Schiano. I could be wrong.

Last night I was wrong and you were right (regarding RU covering spread).

I don't think selling a vision is a joke....not the place to get political....how the heck do you explain Donald Trump as the leading candidate for the Republican Party.....

I don't think selling a vision is a joke....not the place to get political....how the heck do you explain Donald Trump as the leading candidate for the Republican Party.....
hehe good one but my point is that people think that someone will come in and sell something that simply isn't there

Sendek has more experience recruiting High Major players than King Rice.

How would King Rice do at NC State and Arizona State? Better than Sendek?

Look, Monmouth is doing very well and I'm sure his name will come up for a few positions.

But we've been down this road before. Can Rice outrecruit the best programs in the country and get the results to keep the momentum going? You get that first nice class maybe but win 10 games the first two years and suddenly you're no longer the hottest name on the block.

Sendek doesn't have to be our Schiano, Calhoun or Boeheim. But he can be the guy to break the cycle of losing at Rutgers .

Last edited:
Follow the record........Hobbs hires young proven assistants (Ash; Willard) with pedigree.........I'd be very surprised of a Sendek or Amaker are considered......

On another note, if Patrick Ewing is hired (where the hell did this name come from?)...I just hope he doesn't guarantee anything.....

Follow the record........Hobbs hires young proven assistants (Ash; Willard) with pedigree.........I'd be very surprised of a Sendek or Amaker are considered......

On another note, if Patrick Ewing is hired (where the hell did this name come from?)...I just hope he doesn't guarantee anything.....

Willard wasn't an assistant. He was the coach at Iona before Cluess. He was a Pitino assistant, previously if that's what you mean.

Hobbs interviewed Amaker and helped get him hired at SHU (http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/22/s...oaches-seton-hall-rutgers.html?pagewanted=all)

When Hobbs hired Willard, he interviewed Fran McCaffery, Ed Cooley, Steve Donahue, and Mike Lonergan (http://www.nj.com/college-basketbal...anded_its_man_the_kevin_willard_timeline.html)

We can't pretend we're in the American East when it comes to recruiting.

Need a guy who knows what it takes to land good players and develop them. Piece of cake, right?

The best candidate will get the job. I don't think age or whether he was an assistant or HC will be a major factor.

Willard wasn't an assistant. He was the coach at Iona before Cluess. He was a Pitino assistant, previously if that's what you mean.

Hobbs interviewed Amaker and helped get him hired at SHU (http://www.nytimes.com/1997/10/22/s...oaches-seton-hall-rutgers.html?pagewanted=all)

When Hobbs hired Willard, he interviewed Fran McCaffery, Ed Cooley, Steve Donahue, and Mike Lonergan (http://www.nj.com/college-basketbal...anded_its_man_the_kevin_willard_timeline.html)
- Amaker was a disaster at SHU...will not happen.
- All the names you list above are up and comers......maybe that's what I should have posted (as opposed to assistants) - but note no has-beens / ex established HC's such as Sendek or Amaker
- We need young blood....not regurgitating old blood.....

We can't pretend we're in the American East when it comes to recruiting.

Need a guy who knows what it takes to land good players and develop them. Piece of cake, right?

The best candidate will get the job. I don't think age or whether he was an assistant or HC will be a major factor.
Next HC will be an up and comer relatively young HC (I agree) - not a has been and/or older ex HC - such as a Sendek or Amaker........Have no beef with either Sendek or Amaker - but it goes against Hobbs' MO and we need young blood here...not old blood.....

Nuts...then why was he going to be fired? They didn't believe he could get over the hump.

We disagree, that's OK. I have no agenda. I just think we need a Schiano. I could be wrong.

Last night I was wrong and you were right (regarding RU covering spread).

He wasn't necessarily "GOING" to be fired, however, the fan base was pissed because he struggled with 2 teams - NORTH CAROLINA AND DUKE - as I've already mentioned, so the pressure was on and he got out of dodge when a (potentially) great offer came his way. Please put THAT into perspective before judging the the why's and how's of his leaving NC State.

Bottom line is he had a very, very good run at NC State ONCE he cleaned up the "mess" he took over, this is undeniable, facts are facts.

Last edited:
Is Rutgers going to really spend the needed funding level?
Ash only got a 5% increase on Flood's budget for assistants.
Christie's budget for Colleges is flat for next year.

Next HC will be an up and comer relatively young HC (I agree) - not a has been and/or older ex HC - such as a Sendek or Amaker........Have no beef with either Sendek or Amaker - but it goes against Hobbs' MO and we need young blood here...not old blood.....

How many good young and up and comers would consider Rutgers? I know Hurley would probably decline. Lonergan, too. Masiello's resume snafu is a deal-breaker. Bryce Drew is from Indiana.

Most of these young/up-and-comers reside in low major conferences and appear to be high upside because they have little track record or resume to speak of.

Can Rutgers take a chance on a first time HC like Jeff Boals? Maybe, but why is he better than an experienced HC?

Rutgers may need a CEO, salesman type but what makes an assistant from the Midwest the right guy to sell Rutgers? Few people understand the dynamics here and they may think its a better job than it is only to realize what its like recruiting in this area. Why would people want to send their kids to Rutgers to play for a first-time inexperienced coach with no resume?

I might take one exception but after a bunch of other guys decline.

But that candidate better be a helluva salesman and I'm skeptical that man exists. What does a guy like Josh Pastner know about building a program? He followed Calipari and Memphis has its benefits.

Last edited:
Will Wade would be a fantastic choice.
Don't see him happening for Rutgers.

How on EARTH is 5 consecutive NCAA appearances a "fail" at NC State? I'm now convinced: you know absolutely nothing about any of this. You just make stuff up as you go along.
Actually the delusional NC State donor base felt that wasn't good enough and basically made it known that they wanted change so Sendek chucked up the deuces and left. Then they hired an alum who didn't go to the NCAA tournament in 10 years. A previous poster mentioned Sendek's record vs UNC & Duke. He's right about that being a factor in his NCSU departure. Sendek would be a really good get for Rutgers. He is a program turnaround guy and that's what Rutgers needs.

But I personally think Sendek will want to be at a basketball school. I could see him wanting the Memphis job if/when it opens.

- overall coaching record is 406-290
- took Miami(oh) to NCAA's in 2nd season
- 5 CONSECUTIVE NCAA'S AT NC STATE
- (2) NIT #1 Seeds and an NCAA at ASU (got screwed not making NCAA's at 22-11 in 2009-10, btw)
- MAC COTY 1995
- ACC COTY 2004
- PAC-10 COTY 2010
-
Sendek is John Wooden compared to the guy running things now. Eddie was a .400 coach in the NBA and he is proving that was not a fluke.

Imo, Amaker was so far from a disaster at shu. Wherever he goes, the recruiting profile of the school sky rockets. He had two excellent years, than a fabulous year. His last was a disaster but laid the foundation for a bid in Barrett sr yr. He would be a great hire. I think he would be a tough get for you.

Don't see him happening for Rutgers.

Actually the delusional NC State donor base felt that wasn't good enough and basically made it known that they wanted change so Sendek chucked up the deuces and left. Then they hired an alum who didn't go to the NCAA tournament in 10 years. A previous poster mentioned Sendek's record vs UNC & Duke. He's right about that being a factor in his NCSU departure. Sendek would be a really good get for Rutgers. He is a program turnaround guy and that's what Rutgers needs.

But I personally think Sendek will want to be at a basketball school. I could see him wanting the Memphis job if/when it opens.
He's not getting Memphis. He's not a hot commodity. RU is a good fit for him and visa versa

Sendek would be a better fit at UNLV where they have players but they're poorly coached.

King Rice was an Assistant at Vandy----has recruited A List players. Has a staff with great relationships in NYC and as previously stated this job needs strong recruiter as # 1 on the priority list.

Sendek would be a better fit at UNLV where they have players but they're poorly coached.

King Rice was an Assistant at Vandy----has recruited A List players. Has a staff with great relationships in NYC and as previously stated this job needs strong recruiter as # 1 on the priority list.
I'm down with the king

Imo, Amaker was so far from a disaster at shu. Wherever he goes, the recruiting profile of the school sky rockets. He had two excellent years, than a fabulous year. His last was a disaster but laid the foundation for a bid in Barrett sr yr. He would be a great hire. I think he would be a tough get for you.

Agree - hed be perfect but I dont see it. His undoing at SHU was losing control of the locker room and that was due to lack of experience. I think he has grown tremendously as a coach. Just dont think he would want the job. If he leaves Cambridge its for Durham and nowhere else.

Amaker: Great job at SHU, but did have FHJ as #1 recruiter. And say what you will about FHJ as a HC, as a recruiter he is lights out. (National #1 recruiting class at SHU). When Amaker went to Michigan it was a horror show. Harvard is different job than a P5 job. And he's not doing so well there now.

Hurley (URI) -- after initial burst, things seem to be deflating.

Young up and comer? We need a Vitale, or Valvano. They were essentially home grown.

And we are so deep in the hole, from players to tradition to facilities to just about everything. After Wenzel (and I don't know how high he was on our list or anyone else's for that matter) we been taking coaches way down on the depth chart. Bannon (8th?), Waters (7th?), FHJ (bill of goods), Rice, Jordan. How many of these coaches did ANYONE want? Waters -- Tulsa. FHJ -- rumored SHU. How hot a commodity was Rice?

Even considering we're B1G, RU is not a destination job. It's not even a particularly desirable a job.

We need someone to make us RESPECTABLE. When we get to that level, we can shoot for a lot more. But for now, steps. If we're rolling the dice for that monster catch, what are the odds the big boys haven't identified him? And even if we found that nugget in the pan, what makes you think he'd rather come here?

Sendek is sounding better and better. Let's go in a different direction. Forget pie in the sky, embrace pragmatism. At least for now.

I don't want Masiello. His team is only 11-14 this year. Manhattan has struggled this entire season. After the Florida State fiasco I doubt he would get hired by RU. I don't think King Rice would get hired as he seems like a loose cannon after running into the stands once after a fan and for allowing the Monmouth antics by their bench players for media attention. I think those kids act like fools. I also don't want Amacker. He is only like 10-14 at Harvard this year after his team was picked to win the Ivy League. He left SHU after an awful third year and never even said goodbye to his team. He did nothing at Michigan in the Big 10 and he got Harvard to change their admission standards for basketball players. If we should change coaches I put my trust in Hobbs. One thing we do need either way is an assistant who really knows New Jersey and our coaches. There are so many outstanding players in our back yard. We need to get at least one every year, but two a year would be even better.

UNLV has expressed interest (moderate to high) in Sendek.....he is a top coach with fundamentals and the essentials of game day/game planning and maximizing talent. The NC State and Arizona State teams were not overly talented with a bunch of MCD AA's all over the place, but he was competing against UNC/Duke etc who had those types of players.....NCState has not been any better since he departed and Arizona State with Bobby Hurley is not any better in Year One under his leadership than where they were with Sendek....in the Pac 12, it's UCLA/Arizona and a very balanced and well coached league.

Sendek would be a home run hire without a ton of cost and always armed with Power 5 experience/pedigree against other Top flight coaching staffs.....he would likely assemble a fairly astute staff as well.....RU would be lucky to have him and I believe he has what it takes to get RU to respectability. Plus he doesn't have to win the B1G to succeed with unrealistic expectations.....he would be the bridge to getting RU back on track while the money eventually pours in down the road.

I will admit that his style and maximizing possessions/avoiding turnovers is not very flashy at ALL.....in fact it was one of the drawbacks from the fan bases that felt they wanted more up and down tempo, but Sendek and RU is a fit in my mind....UNLV is not a fit, they want the flash and dash and up tempo. RU needs to maximize it's defensive identity, play to the crowd by getting stops and allowing the RAC crowd to get into the games again. There isn't any sane argument for Sendek not being good enough for where the RU program is right now....it's as safe a choice for what's needed as humanly possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT