ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm Hearing

UNLV has expressed interest (moderate to high) in Sendek.....he is a top coach with fundamentals and the essentials of game day/game planning and maximizing talent. The NC State and Arizona State teams were not overly talented with a bunch of MCD AA's all over the place, but he was competing against UNC/Duke etc who had those types of players.....NCState has not been any better since he departed and Arizona State with Bobby Hurley is not any better in Year One under his leadership than where they were with Sendek....in the Pac 12, it's UCLA/Arizona and a very balanced and well coached league.

Sendek would be a home run hire without a ton of cost and always armed with Power 5 experience/pedigree against other Top flight coaching staffs.....he would likely assemble a fairly astute staff as well.....RU would be lucky to have him and I believe he has what it takes to get RU to respectability. Plus he doesn't have to win the B1G to succeed with unrealistic expectations.....he would be the bridge to getting RU back on track while the money eventually pours in down the road.

I will admit that his style and maximizing possessions/avoiding turnovers is not very flashy at ALL.....in fact it was one of the drawbacks from the fan bases that felt they wanted more up and down tempo, but Sendek and RU is a fit in my mind....UNLV is not a fit, they want the flash and dash and up tempo. RU needs to maximize it's defensive identity, play to the crowd by getting stops and allowing the RAC crowd to get into the games again. There isn't any sane argument for Sendek not being good enough for where the RU program is right now....it's as safe a choice for what's needed as humanly possible.
People in Vegas want bigger than Sendek

It is more of an issue of him being old. I doubt he has the hunger or strength.

This job has to be all in.

I am sure he can coach.....but it is way more than that.

Agreed. Unless RU can lure away a big time coach from his current job (almost no chance of that happening) RU needs a young, hungry, tireless worker like Schiano and Ash were/are when they first took the football job.

There is talent on this team but EJ will not get this roster (next year) to reach its potential. Time for a new coach and do what it takes to keep the team together. With new leadership this roster can get something done.

Amaker: Great job at SHU, but did have FHJ as #1 recruiter. And say what you will about FHJ as a HC, as a recruiter he is lights out. (National #1 recruiting class at SHU). When Amaker went to Michigan it was a horror show. Harvard is different job than a P5 job. And he's not doing so well there now.

Hurley (URI) -- after initial burst, things seem to be deflating.

Young up and comer? We need a Vitale, or Valvano. They were essentially home grown.

And we are so deep in the hole, from players to tradition to facilities to just about everything. After Wenzel (and I don't know how high he was on our list or anyone else's for that matter) we been taking coaches way down on the depth chart. Bannon (8th?), Waters (7th?), FHJ (bill of goods), Rice, Jordan. How many of these coaches did ANYONE want? Waters -- Tulsa. FHJ -- rumored SHU. How hot a commodity was Rice?

Even considering we're B1G, RU is not a destination job. It's not even a particularly desirable a job.

We need someone to make us RESPECTABLE. When we get to that level, we can shoot for a lot more. But for now, steps. If we're rolling the dice for that monster catch, what are the odds the big boys haven't identified him? And even if we found that nugget in the pan, what makes you think he'd rather come here?

Sendek is sounding better and better. Let's go in a different direction. Forget pie in the sky, embrace pragmatism. At least for now.

Initial Burst for Hurley? Has not done better than predecessor.

well Isiah Thomas was an unsuccessful college coach. He got some press his first year like Ewing would but that faded when he was unsuccessful. Ewing is an NBA guy and probably would not be able to recruit and inspire youngsters.

I would assume that Hobbs has some prior relationship of working with Amaker, so it would make sense that he would at least inquire once things shake out.....I don't hear anything regarding Amaker leaving, supposedly he is locked in there for the long run. After that inquiry, I would have to think Sendek goes to the top of the short list, especially since he's unattached to any school right now.

One of the key components of recruiting in Sendek's career has been the role of the assistant coaches. He has targeted men that will become head coaches in a short amount of time. For example, some of the assistants he has had over the years are:
· John Groce, Ohio (2008-2012), Illinois (2012-present)
· Larry Hunter, Western Carolina (2005–present)
· Dedrique Taylor, Cal State Fullerton (2013–present)
· Thad Matta, Butler (2000-2001), Xavier (2001-2004), Ohio State (2004-present)
· Archie Miller, Dayton (2011–present)
· Sean Miller, Xavier (2004-2009), Arizona (2009-present)
· James Whitford, Ball State (2013–present)

The assistants recruit and Sendek closes the deal.

Here is a trivia question for you.....who was the last Rutgers assistant coach that went on to become a college HC?
Answer: Tod Kowalczyk. He was an assistant for Kevin Bannon and has been a HC at Wisconsin-Green Bay and currently is the HC at Toledo. That's almost 20 years ago since we have had an assistant move on up!

this is an impressive list of assistants

There is talent on this team but EJ will not get this roster (next year) to reach its potential. Time for a new coach and do what it takes to keep the team together. With new leadership this roster can get something done.
There isn't talent on the squad to successfully compete in the B1G. A two year span of consecutive losses proves the point.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Sendek is the only guy listed in this long thread who could realistically turn things around here.

He is a very good coach but I wonder about recruiting .NJ/NYMetro players/AAU Coaches have shown very little interest in Rutgers.

Sendek has the experience, but does he have the energy. This is a total rebuild. We need someone with lots of energy, high IQ, and tons of savvy. Somebody that won't be upset by having to live on an Airplane for the first few years of this job.

Sendek has the experience, but does he have the energy. This is a total rebuild. We need someone with lots of energy, high IQ, and tons of savvy. Somebody that won't be upset by having to live on an Airplane for the first few years of this job.

He is only 52...lol...he has always had great assistants and can coach. Above all we need a coach here to get back to respectability. Mike Rice was a coach, Fred Hill wasn't. Herb doesn't have to show flash. He has rebuilt 3 programs and that's more than enough evidence to me why he would work

This program isn't looking for a rebuild. It needs a build. This is NOT a turnkey organization.

Herb, who is bald, would need to wear a lot of hats.

On his 4th program is he willing to work harder than he has ever worked in the past 15 years? Is he going to do all the PR things to initiate interest in the program he didn't have to do at NC St or ASU? will he kiss the a$$ of all the high school and AAU guys?

This is the primary reason Eddie failed, not his inability to motivate (very close 2nd)?

This program isn't looking for a rebuild. It needs a build. This is NOT a turnkey organization.

Herb, who is bald, would need to wear a lot of hats.

On his 4th program is he willing to work harder than he has ever worked in the past 15 years? Is he going to do all the PR things to initiate interest in the program he didn't have to do at NC St or ASU? will he kiss the a$$ of all the high school and AAU guys?

This is the primary reason Eddie failed, not his inability to motivate (very close 2nd)?

The "primary reason" Eddie is failing is that he has no idea HOW to get it done at this level. Comparing Sendek, a guy with a TON of top-level BCS experience, to Eddie, is an absolute "FAIL" of a comparison.

Unreal. Com'on Green, YOU DON'T LIKE HIM, fine, but stop with the complete bullshit!!! I'm begging you lol!

Reactions: B1GNJHoops
The "primary reason" Eddie is failing is that he has no idea HOW to get it done at this level. Comparing Sendek, a guy with a TON of top-level BCS experience, to Eddie, is an absolute "FAIL" of a comparison.

Unreal. Com'on Green, YOU DON'T LIKE HIM, fine, but stop with the complete bullshit!!! I'm begging you lol!

I don't like him or dislike him. Probably a prefect fit for other programs. If Crean didn't get his team turned around he'd work there.

The guy who comes here can't have a preconceived notion of what works. What works at NC State or Arizona State probably isn't enough here.

Speaking about Arizona State...anyone watch the game on Sunday with the FTs behind the curtain. 2 unicorns making out in what was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.

There isn't any sane argument for Sendek not being good enough for where the RU program is right now....it's as safe a choice for what's needed as humanly possible.
Even before I read this, the word that I was going to use for Sendek is "safe." Hiring him is like buying a Camry: It's safe, reliable, you'll probably have it for a long time if you want, but it isn't a performance car and doesn't excite anyone. And then 10 years after you get rid of it, when you;re taking your Audi to the mechanics again, you probably look back at it somewhat fondly, thinking, "that really wasn't such a bad old car ... why'd we get rid of it, again?"

The reason Sendek was about to be fired (or was thought to be, anyway) is because he was their Camry. His teams were consistently anywhere from bubble consideration to potential 7 seed, but (and there may have been an odd year, but...) never any better. He was the embodiment of high-end mediocre, even at a place, NCSU, that has a pretty good basketball tradition.

Of course, if he can do that at Rutgers, he'll get a parade down George Street, and if you can get him, you should. But eventually, you'll forget about the depths you plumbed back in 2016, and want more than 8-10, 9-9, 10-8 Big Ten records and occasional 9 and 10 seeds in the NCAA, and he's going to look pretty stale. That's when he starts to look like the 2004 Camry.

Reactions: shields
Rutgers would never allow this. Look how they put that gate up in front of the students section.​

Even before I read this, the word that I was going to use for Sendek is "safe." Hiring him is like buying a Camry: It's safe, reliable, you'll probably have it for a long time if you want, but it isn't a performance car and doesn't excite anyone. And then 10 years after you get rid of it, when you;re taking your Audi to the mechanics again, you probably look back at it somewhat fondly, thinking, "that really wasn't such a bad old car ... why'd we get rid of it, again?"

The reason Sendek was about to be fired (or was thought to be, anyway) is because he was their Camry. His teams were consistently anywhere from bubble consideration to potential 7 seed, but (and there may have been an odd year, but...) never any better. He was the embodiment of high-end mediocre, even at a place, NCSU, that has a pretty good basketball tradition.

Of course, if he can do that at Rutgers, he'll get a parade down George Street, and if you can get him, you should. But eventually, you'll forget about the depths you plumbed back in 2016, and want more than 8-10, 9-9, 10-8 Big Ten records and occasional 9 and 10 seeds in the NCAA, and he's going to look pretty stale. That's when he starts to look like the 2004 Camry.

Would sign up for this in a heartbeat. We'll deal with eventually, eventually.... and those are the kinds of problems I want to have, when 9 and 10 seeds in the NCAA tournament have gotten stale and you're looking for someone to take you to the next level.

Reactions: linzalonic
Rutgers would never allow this. Look how they put that gate up in front of the students section.​
Things could be different with Hobbs at the helm now? No inside info but just a hunch. Hobbs has seen many of the basketball pits so he may be more receptive.

Sendek actually counted all the student seats at ASU (942) and gave them the name "942 Crew"........he would not have to do that at RU...there is a "Riot Squad".......just need to figure out how to get them to show up to the games.........winning would sure help

Even before I read this, the word that I was going to use for Sendek is "safe." Hiring him is like buying a Camry: It's safe, reliable, you'll probably have it for a long time if you want, but it isn't a performance car and doesn't excite anyone.

Yeah well we are currently driving the "Adobe"

Reactions: SHUSource

What has happened to our student section, over the years, is disgraceful:

- take the 250 or so seats, from behind the RU bench, away
- start selling student section seats to non-students for games that AREN'T sold out
- move the student section back
- "fence" the student section
- move the student section FURTHER back

....IMHO Hobbs should have it pulled right back to about 5-fee from the back of the basket and let the cheer teams, et al, stand there like they did for the first 25 years or so.

I don't like him or dislike him. Probably a prefect fit for other programs. If Crean didn't get his team turned around he'd work there.

The guy who comes here can't have a preconceived notion of what works. What works at NC State or Arizona State probably isn't enough here.

Speaking about Arizona State...anyone watch the game on Sunday with the FTs behind the curtain. 2 unicorns making out in what was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.

Who are you suggesting?

What has happened to our student section, over the years, is disgraceful:

- take the 250 or so seats, from behind the RU bench, away
- start selling student section seats to non-students for games that AREN'T sold out
- move the student section back
- "fence" the student section
- move the student section FURTHER back

....IMHO Hobbs should have it pulled right back to about 5-fee from the back of the basket and let the cheer teams, et al, stand there like they did for the first 25 years or so.

yes its pretty awful how many rows the student section lost from the push back and it definitely affects energy. There really was no good reason that they needed to put the fence up as well. Plus they also put in tables for media as well..why?

yes its pretty awful how many rows the student section lost from the push back and it definitely affects energy. There really was no good reason that they needed to put the fence up as well. Plus they also put in tables for media as well..why?

I would assume due to the removal of media space from directly in front of the original seat-backs, opposite the benches, to add the VIP seating?

Now, MY SOLUTION:

Put the press (see: people who don't pay to get in) in the 1st 2 rows of Section 110 and pull the bleachers back up to where they belong!!

Last edited:
Who are you suggesting?

Someone I or you probably have never heard of. i don't have specific names. There will be a list of 5-10 upcomers and the interview is crucial.

The ideal candidate was an assistant at a P5 school, went to a mid major and succeeded, and is ready to move up.

No shot at Tommy Amaker. We are a black whole people.
th

Fantastic Post. Sendek is a Camry. Rutgers can do better. Why can't Rutgers make a play for Kevin Ollie. or go outside the box for a Mitch Henderson, Michael White or Archie Miller.

Someone I or you probably have never heard of. i don't have specific names. There will be a list of 5-10 upcomers and the interview is crucial.

The ideal candidate was an assistant at a P5 school, went to a mid major and succeeded, and is ready to move up.

I'm not sure that candidate exists tbh

Fantastic Post. Sendek is a Camry. Rutgers can do better. Why can't Rutgers make a play for Kevin Ollie. or go outside the box for a Mitch Henderson, Michael White or Archie Miller.

Archie Miller is a Bentley. Rutgers is the teenager bagging groceries over the weekend.

Mike White just took the Florida job!!

Ollie makes more than $3 million. C'mon guys!!

"... someone who is pretty in the know with what's going on at RU," but didn't know Sanders was suspended discusses potential coaching hires with an anonymous poster and we're already on the fourth page of this thread. Just imagine if we had some hard information from someone who is actually in the know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT