ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm Hearing

5-10 up and comers that were assistants at p5 and successful HCs at mid major and young and CEO type.

Easy peasy

Archie Miller is a Bentley. Rutgers is the teenager bagging groceries over the weekend.

Mike White just took the Florida job!!

Ollie makes more than $3 million. C'mon guys!!

Given the current state of the B-Ball program, I would gladly pay $4 million per for Kevin Ollie. He would turn the program around instantly.

I know. We need 4-5 of them because we aren't 1st in line with job openings as we are a undesirable job.

Pay more than fair market value. Eddie is getting what $2 million for one conference win in three years. Might as well expect to pay $4 million for someone to fix this mess. $4 million would get a guy like Archie Miller.

Given the current state of the B-Ball program, I would gladly pay $4 million per for Kevin Ollie. He would turn the program around instantly.

Ollie has yet to win with his own players at UConn and is severely underachieving this year in a pretty bad conference (top 25 team turned bubble team). Don't think he is going to be as successful as some people think.

Ollie has yet to win with his own players at UConn and is severely underachieving this year in a pretty bad conference (top 25 team turned bubble team). Don't think he is going to be as successful as some people think.
He still won a national championship !!!!

Reactions: soundcrib
He still won a national championship !!!!

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a massive upgrade, and he seems to have a good repor with his players, but I'm not 100% sure he could turn around the program like you'd hope for.

Ewing would either be a grand slam or a disaster of epic proportions. With our luck, I'd lean toward the latter. The NY media would pay attention (at first) that's for sure.
Does he have coaching experience? I loved Willis as a Knick and team captain, not as a coach

UNLV has expressed interest (moderate to high) in Sendek.....he is a top coach with fundamentals and the essentials of game day/game planning and maximizing talent. The NC State and Arizona State teams were not overly talented with a bunch of MCD AA's all over the place, but he was competing against UNC/Duke etc who had those types of players.....NCState has not been any better since he departed and Arizona State with Bobby Hurley is not any better in Year One under his leadership than where they were with Sendek....in the Pac 12, it's UCLA/Arizona and a very balanced and well coached league.

Sendek would be a home run hire without a ton of cost and always armed with Power 5 experience/pedigree against other Top flight coaching staffs.....he would likely assemble a fairly astute staff as well.....RU would be lucky to have him and I believe he has what it takes to get RU to respectability. Plus he doesn't have to win the B1G to succeed with unrealistic expectations.....he would be the bridge to getting RU back on track while the money eventually pours in down the road.

I will admit that his style and maximizing possessions/avoiding turnovers is not very flashy at ALL.....in fact it was one of the drawbacks from the fan bases that felt they wanted more up and down tempo, but Sendek and RU is a fit in my mind....UNLV is not a fit, they want the flash and dash and up tempo. RU needs to maximize it's defensive identity, play to the crowd by getting stops and allowing the RAC crowd to get into the games again. There isn't any sane argument for Sendek not being good enough for where the RU program is right now....it's as safe a choice for what's needed as humanly possible.

I like Sendek, but I don't think he is a home run hire or someone that's going to get the fan base or recruits excited.

Can't believe there is no one from the coaching tree of Beilein, Cal, Pitino, K, Williams, Self, Izzo...worth looking at.

I like Sendek, but I don't think he is a home run hire or someone that's going to get the fan base or recruits excited.

Tubby Smith doesn't excite a fan base or recruits but he has Texas Tech on the verge of the NCAAs.

Winning excites a fan a base more than anything. The rest is hype. And we've had hype before.

Sendk isn't my personal no. 1 but I don't think we can convince the two a10 coaches I like to take the job.

Ollie???? Wow. Not sure which suggestion is more insane:

- Ollie leaving Yuke-On for RU, or

- playing "2-3 games per year" at The Barclay's

:chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot::chairshot:

Bull. With winning come both recruiting and excitement. Gotta start somewhere and his track record alone will HELP recruiting. One SHOULD breed the other and so-on-and-so-on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim_from_RU
he can coach and that will get the fanbase excited
Win some games and it will be easy to fire up the fan-base from the Jordan years.
As for recruiting, think he'll do alright once recruits see RU MBB doing better.
Main thing is Sendek is going to need a lead recruiter that will go hot and heavy on the recruiting trail after the good HS players then have Herb close the deal and make inroads with NJ HS Coaches.

That said: I'm not sure Hobbs will buy Eddie out, but he does have good reason with all the losses .
It's just that I feel Hobbs will give Jordan one more year with the explanation Eddie faced a tough task when hired and injuries slowed down his progress this season.

I think we need an up and comer. The first 2 rounds of the NCAAs is always a good showcase for those types of coaches.

Win some games and it will be easy to fire up the fan-base from the Jordan years.
As for recruiting, think he'll do alright once recruits see RU MBB doing better.
Main thing is Sendek is going to need a lead recruiter that will go hot and heavy on the recruiting trail after the good HS players then have Herb close the deal and make inroads with NJ HS Coaches.

That said: I'm not sure Hobbs will buy Eddie out, but he does have good reason with all the losses .
It's just that I feel Hobbs will give Jordan one more year with the explanation Eddie faced a tough task when hired and injuries slowed down his progress this season.

Good post. But what should seal Jordan's fate is a pic of the student section at today's game.

There's no coming back from this under Jordan. No recruits coming to games, football recruits, coaches and players attending wrestling matches over basketball (and with good reason).

The program is going backwards

I'm reasonably sure that Hobbs will fire Eddie after this season. Injuries or not, W-L results count and Eddies's coaching performance has been horrendous over a 3 year period, not just this season. Even without the injuries I believe that the W-L record would look much the same.

IMO Hobbs will look weak if he gives Eddie another season. His reputation takes a hit if he allows this knightmare to be replayed for another year.

Reactions: soundcrib
"Patently absurd and enormous waste of time."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is your Rutgers University men's basketball program.

So, sure, let's do it again next year with all-American shooting guard, Nigel Johnson, a remarkably poised, mature and academic all-American, Cory Sanders, National Comeback Player of the Year, DeShawn Freeman, and National Freshman of the Year, 6-10 (or is it 6-11?) Issa Thiam. All nurtured and developed by the battle-tested and highly coveted staff of Dalip, Shoes and Van and, of course, B1G Coach of the Year, Ed Jordan. Four more years. Four more years. Four more years.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT