ADVERTISEMENT

What Maryland does is what I want to see us do!

bowlgoal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2004
Maryland is such a challenge for us and what I’ve seen in the last few years is that they have such great spacing and the pick and roll is just a constant part of their offense and we get eaten up. I guess it starts with their guards who can penetrate but it’s also the rest of the team with multiple guys either cutting towards the rim or popping out for the 3 point shot.

We know how to pop out for the 3 point shot but our offense stalls when that’s all we do is pass it around the horn without the cutters. Maybe our guards can’t beat the defender so we settle for the perimeter offense but I think they can and that’s where Geo and Caleb have to improve. And be prepared for that on defense. Maryland’s big guys are long and lean and just attack the rim. We have to do the same and hit our free throws. Eugene can’t settle for fade away jumpers as there are better shots. He needs to get back to using his body to get closer to the basket where he can use the glass or get free. There’s no point is taking a bad shot. Kick it back out and readjust your positioning..... please.

And Geo’s 3 pointers fall when he’s moving towards the basket. A lot of his misses are short so if he’s following through and moving forward, he’s going hit many more shots.

I don’t know how Pikiells heart can handle these games. I’m nervous and it’s still Thursday. This would be a very big win for us on Saturday but we need everything to go right. There’s zero margin for error against this level of competition. We are getting better players but we are still very young and Maryland has more talent. We need to outplay them, create turnovers and the crowd needs to get in their heads. Hate to say it but that’s all part of college basketball.

Agree times 100 and I’ve seen this by them and noticed the same thing. Just beautiful pick and rolls and they end up with such great looks. Our D has to be ready, can’t leave open for the 3, and HAVE to win the rebound battle. Do that, shoot like we did in our most recent half, and I like our shot

and yet a large part of their fan base thinks Turgeon stinks as a coach

Ludicrous

Reactions: RUnTeX

Ludicrous
Maryland has had top 25 programs for many years so they are a critical bunch. Turgeon definitely knows how to run an offense. If I was a head coach, I would be watching Maryland games over and over again to copy his style. Maybe they are more successful against us because of the defense we play? I really don’t know but I recall the last time we played them at the RAC, it was a close game at the half but they went on a run using the same pick and roll plays over and over again to build a 20 point point lead and we just couldn’t make a dent in the deficit.

Last edited:

Ludicrous
We do some things very well, but we are consistently recruiting in the top 25 annually, but we're not a top 25 ranked team annually.

Turgeon has been here 8 years now, and has only made the tournament 3 times and one sweet sixteen.

There are pretty high standards for MD bball, we expect to go toe to toe with MSU, and we havn't. I think Rutgers has a great shot at beating us because we turn the ball over a lot, shoot poor free throws and have had some dreadful nights 3 point shooting.

Turgeon also schedules a lame duck out of conference schedule. Our toughest game was Seton Hall and we lost in the way as mentioned above. He needs to get to NCAA tourney and win this year or else.

Maryland is such a challenge for us and what I’ve seen in the last few years is that they have such great spacing and the pick and roll is just a constant part of their offense and we get eaten up. I guess it starts with their guards who can penetrate but it’s also the rest of the team with multiple guys either cutting towards the rim or popping out for the 3 point shot.

We know how to pop out for the 3 point shot but our offense stalls when that’s all we do is pass it around the horn without the cutters. Maybe our guards can’t beat the defender so we settle for the perimeter offense but I think they can and that’s where Geo and Caleb have to improve. And be prepared for that on defense. Maryland’s big guys are long and lean and just attack the rim. We have to do the same and hit our free throws. Eugene can’t settle for fade away jumpers as there are better shots. He needs to get back to using his body to get closer to the basket where he can use the glass or get free. There’s no point is taking a bad shot. Kick it back out and readjust your positioning..... please.

And Geo’s 3 pointers fall when he’s moving towards the basket. A lot of his misses are short so if he’s following through and moving forward, he’s going hit many more shots.

I don’t know how Pikiells heart can handle these games. I’m nervous and it’s still Thursday. This would be a very big win for us on Saturday but we need everything to go right. There’s zero margin for error against this level of competition. We are getting better players but we are still very young and Maryland has more talent. We need to outplay them, create turnovers and the crowd needs to get in their heads. Hate to say it but that’s all part of college basketball.

Thanks for your post, Bowl. I like what you said about the players finding better shots. I really hope to see some players find more efficient shots for themselves. EO can get a little crazy here, and so can Geo with fadeaway low percentage shots.

Some offenses are more centered for NBA, and others for NCAA. You see a lot more pick and roll in the NBA than you do in college. But it can be a very efficient offense, and should be used more. A lot of times you see it used in NCAA, but not done well enough to be effective. Or the big does not have the skill for him to be a viable roll option, so it is not effective.

I would start McConnell, Baker, Montez, EO and Carter.

Montez guards Cowan. Carter takes Fernando, EO takes Smith, Baker on Wiggins, and McConnell on Morsell.

First off the bench is Kiss for Mathis. McConnell then shifts to Cowan as McConnell is quicker than Baker off the slide, and his more arm span than Baker.

Thanks for your post, Bowl. I like what you said about the players finding better shots. I really hope to see some players find more efficient shots for themselves. EO can get a little crazy here, and so can Geo with fadeaway low percentage shots.

Some offenses are more centered for NBA, and others for NCAA. You see a lot more pick and roll in the NBA than you do in college. But it can be a very efficient offense, and should be used more. A lot of times you see it used in NCAA, but not done well enough to be effective. Or the big does not have the skill for him to be a viable roll option, so it is not effective.

Montez guards Cowan. Carter takes Fernando, EO takes Smith, Baker on Wiggins, and McConnell on Morsell.

First off the bench is Kiss for Mathis. McConnell then shifts to Cowan as McConnell is quicker than Baker off the slide, and his more arm span than Baker.
We definitely took a step back on Saturday. Maryland is a good team but they’ve had better teams in prior years. We just looked so tentative once they took the lead and then the hole was too deep to climb back. We also seemed to let our offensive frustrations make a bad situation worse on defense. If you’re down 12 or 13 points, you can’t leave wide open three pointers to increase the lead to 19-21 points and that also happened. We have to play better and attack. Set some real picks so the ball isn’t getting stripped on every other possession.

Basically, these guys have to grow up quickly. I heard someone say all teams are young so that’s no excuse. The difference is that other teams are young with more talent so we need to play that much harder to win. I hope we bounce back on Wednesday? Osu is another monster in this league

Most college teams struggle to execute and defend the pick and roll, which is why teams that are good at it are often unstoppable. Billy Donovan shredded defenses with it during Florida's championship runs. As basic as the pick and roll is, it requires big men who can finish and guards that can shoot and drive. Those types of players haven't been in abundance in this program.

Reactions: RUJMM78
We do some things very well, but we are consistently recruiting in the top 25 annually, but we're not a top 25 ranked team annually.

Turgeon has been here 8 years now, and has only made the tournament 3 times and one sweet sixteen.

There are pretty high standards for MD bball, we expect to go toe to toe with MSU, and we havn't. I think Rutgers has a great shot at beating us because we turn the ball over a lot, shoot poor free throws and have had some dreadful nights 3 point shooting.

Turgeon also schedules a lame duck out of conference schedule. Our toughest game was Seton Hall and we lost in the way as mentioned above. He needs to get to NCAA tourney and win this year or else.

then those are unrealistic expectations, Maryland is not a Michigan State...i liken them more to a Purdue type program that will occasional compete for titles during good stretches but as a program is a clear step down from the elites

then those are unrealistic expectations, Maryland is not a Michigan State...i liken them more to a Purdue type program that will occasional compete for titles during good stretches but as a program is a clear step down from the elites
I don't think those are unrealistic expectations for Maryland fans at all. All-time vs. Michigan State Maryland is 5-8 with MSU winning the last two games.

Granted MSU has more national championships. However, since his point was that Maryland fans "expect to go toe to toe with MSU," that is not unrealistic imo.

Talked a lot with some avid Maryland fans at the RAC on Saturday who follow the team around religiously. They seem to have about had it with Turgeon. I told them to count their blessings because at least they have top ranked recruits and expectations but I guess it’s all relative. They actually expected Rutgers to win Saturday (as did I), but the talent difference became very apparent as the game wore on.

It does look like Maryland is playing much better now. If they could have kept Huerter, they could have easily been a top 5-10 team this year. They all expected Huerter to stay and Bruno to leave and got the opposite.

Last edited:
Talked a lot with some avid Maryland fans at the RAC on Saturday who follow the team around religiously. They seem to have about had it with Turgeon. I told them to count their blessings because at least they have top ranked recruits and expectations but I guess it’s all relative. They actually expected Rutgers to win Saturday (as did I), but the talent difference became very apparent as the game wore on.

It does look like Maryland is playing much better now. If they could have kept Huerter, they could have easily been a top 5-10 team this year. They all expected Huerter to stay and Bruno to leave and got the opposite.

Let's put it this way...Maryland Football was a powerhouse in the past. But most the boosters and fans that remember that are pretty old.

Maryland is viewed as a basketball school now, and considering per capita the DMV puts out more football AND basketball players than any other region in the country we have expectations of being a top 25 team in both, with basketball seeing how you only need 2-3 guys to really make a mark, there is no reason Maryland shouldn't be a top 25 team competing for conference championships every year.

Most of our failure is self inflicted with poor administration, poor fundraising, and coaches who cannot recruit the local area.

How many schools would LOVE to have our recruiting grounds and relationship with UA is insane. All we have to do is get coaches who can recruit this area and stop blowing it in our AD and we could be elite in both...it's very frustrating.

They all expected Huerter to stay and Bruno to leave and got the opposite.

So true. When Huerter put his name in the draft I (and most of us, I think) thought it was just for exposure, learning about the process and workouts, and stuff like that. I was shocked at how fast it happened. But he apparently got some great advice because he's playing 30 minutes a game in the NBA now (at least for the past few weeks, don't quote me on that) and making big bucks doing it...

I don't think those are unrealistic expectations for Maryland fans at all. All-time vs. Michigan State Maryland is 5-8 with MSU winning the last two games.

Granted MSU has more national championships. However, since his point was that Maryland fans "expect to go toe to toe with MSU," that is not unrealistic imo.

I dont see and have not seen Maryland competing for national championships. I do see and have seen Michigan State competing for national championships

I dont see and have not seen Maryland competing for national championships. I do see and have seen Michigan State competing for national championships

I don't know of anybody, friend or foe, who considers Maryland a blue-blood (which I consider Michigan State to be).

I do, however, think that as a program they are on a higher level than somebody like Purdue. Who knows, it's all subjective and there ain't no rules for this stuff...

Speaking of head to head, here is a memory from 2010 that most of us can't even watch yet, ha ha. Our consensus comment, after we crawled off the floor, is "How did he know to duck?"

I definitely think expectations that Maryland is a top 25 program every year is fair. I just dont think competing for championship is something they should expect every year. Its not like they did in the ACC.

I realize last year sucked for Maryland fans but careful what you wish for with Turgeon not getting it done enough. The Illinois program might be the one to look at for that. I know they made the wrong hirers by perhaps they were too quick to get rid of Bruce Weber. I think Illinois and Maryland were similar programs with similar expectations. Now there is not much to differentiate Illinois from Rutgers

Maryland was typically in the top 3 in the ACC with an occasional 1st place in regular season and a couple ACC Tournament championships that I remember.

Two final fours with one national championship. I don't know how you did not see that, it was on CBS.

Michigan State has exactly one more National Championship than Maryland. However, and this is big, Michigan State has had far more deep runs in the tournament and far more final four appearances.

Michigan State has had far more deep runs in the tournament and far more final four appearances.

That's why we are mad...we can't be missing the tournament with the talent we have.

MSU isn't a blue blood to me, they are an elite program.

Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana are the blue bloods to me with multiple national championships, multiple guys at any time in NBA, and without question the biggest cheaters and sell out almost every game.

MSU is on the level of elite programs of which Maryland is at, but MSU is better. I'd say MSU, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Maryland, Syracuse, Villanova would be where they haven't always been national championship caliber teams but can get there, and are in any given year ranked and kinda have national appeal.

Last edited:
I honestly thought they had at least four championships, not two. I withdraw my "blueblood" comment about Michigan State...

MSU is not elite.

And MD should fire TUrgeon. I think MD can do FAR BETTER.

Bilas himself has said that as a JOB, MD is right behind the elites.

MD has 2 HOF coaches in Lefty and Gary in a hotbed area...how many schools are like that? Not many.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT