ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever it takes - Schiano

I feel similar to a lot of what was said here, but I also know that our recruiting has been better and the team has actually shown improvement from last year. Except the offense of course but I think we need to give him some more time. Lets see how we do against the teams that crushed us last year. Defensively I think we can hold our own right before we play lets post last years score to each game going forward and see if we are better than we were last year. Then we will know we are headed in the right direction, if we go to Michigan and lose 80-0 and get killed by OSU, and PSU by worse scores than last year I will be the first to say we are not getting better and Ash may not be the answer. I am going to wait before I crush him. It took Frank Beamer awhile before Tech was consistently good, it took Franklin a couple of years too. Both programs were in the dump like we were so I say he needs time to turn things around. I like the class last year and this year if it stays together and we do improve I say give him the time. I hate to say it but Schiano took 5 years and he was in the Big Least and he never beat West Virginia. Different world we are in now bigger hill to climb.

Stop. Please. Don't. (Sounds like Willy Wonka)

Ash deserves a chance. At least four seasons. His rebuild might not be as dramatic as the task of following Shea, but it is pretty dramatic nonetheless. Give him time.

And for what it's worth, not only was Schiano 3-20, but he was an atrocious game-day coach. In the few competitive games we had, he showed time and again he was not the guy.

And yet he was ... then.

I agree ASH needs time, but oh please. Greg was a great Coach. I will take Bill Belichick's endorsement of him over your lack thereof any day of the week.

Reactions: Steve91562
During the Schaino era West Virginia was the team to beat. Can someone remind me of his record against WVU.
Do you realize we lost to Eastern Michigan???? Right now we couldn't dream about beating WVU and they are shell of the program that they once were.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
At the end of the day Schiano chose to leave. If he was offered the Penn St job he would have left before he went to the Bucs.

Reactions: gigantor1024
Granted Schiano is more experienced than Ash but aren't they the same guy? Both defensive guys who are good off the field coaches. Program guys who are good to above average recruiters (yes, our recruiting has improved, give Ash's players time to grow up, they are frosh or redshirt frosh), but if there is a criticism it is their game day prep and in game decision making. Seems to me we would be replacing Ash with an older, more experienced version of Ash. What is to be gained by that?

Gary Schiano never once beat VaTech, BC or Miami when those teams were in the BE, or WVU for that matter. He never won the BE (sorry, three way ties don't count) or got to a BCS game . Even UCONN did. He had one notable win.

And now he's the answer in a much tougher league, with three top 10 national programs in just our division ?

If our goal is 6-6 / 7-5 and a mid December bowl every year...then sure, he'd be an upgrade.

lol the pathetic obsession with the one recent coach who had some success here is... well, pathetic.

Do you guys still think about your high school sweethearts longingly at night?

In fairness to Ash you have to compare his year 2 to Greg's year 2. I think they are similar. Greg as great as he was also had game day issues and lost to New Hampshire and Nova. Let's give Ash a chance before we throw him overboard.

In fairness to Ash you have to compare his year 2 to Greg's year 2. I think they are similar. Greg as great as he was also had game day issues and lost to New Hampshire and Nova. Let's give Ash a chance before we throw him overboard.
define 'give a chance'
win one B10 game in three seasons?

Blitz packages are terrible. They are so uncreative the other team has no problem picking them up.

Early indications are Ash was a product of the great talent that flocks to OSU.

Always a concern with these assistants.

remember getting co-defensive coordinator Rod Sharpless (sp) from from Va tech when Shea was here thinking he was the answer..only to find out it was all about Bud Foster lol.

I am not happy with the coaching but Ash should get more time (he's not going anywhere anyway) and move on from 500% Gary. (unless we got a Bowl game to play..he was AMAZING there).

We're not great but we are getting better in several areas. (can't believe I'm saying this LOL)

FYI Schiano was 3-20 his first two years

Yeah but he was a god. People need to put things a guy behind them and move forward. He was the one that left us high and dry with no other real options but to hire Flood. Why would you want that guy back

Do you realize we lost to Eastern Michigan???? Right now we couldn't dream about beating WVU and they are shell of the program that they once were.
and in year 10 of Schiano we lost to Tulane. YEAR 10!
Year 11 UCONN kicked our asses 40-22
How about year 9 when we Cinci beat us 47-15? Cuse hung 31 on us for 31-13 blow out loss
Year 8? 44-12 to another Cuse powerhouse i guess

Schiano should be applauded for what he did at Rutgers. He made Rutgers respectable, he improved facilities, and got people to buy in. However, he was losing to unranked teams, with his recruits, by margins worse than we are losing this year. Move on

I have no doubt in my mind that if Schiano ever returned here he was absolutely kill it on the recruiting trail. Any game day mistakes would be masked by the talent we'd have in the program -- just like 90% of the other head coaches around the country that win. There are a handful that are great game day coaches who also recruit and everyone knows who they are.

I appreciate it's not fair to Ash because he may still end up to be a very good head coach but my biggest issue with him is that I don't think he commands a room. Schiano had that and it would be even more evident if he ever returned.

It isn't happening but we would be Iowa if Schiano ever came back -- tough as hell defense, run-run and then more running, but we would be in dog fights every week against the best in college football (and sometimes the worst).

and in year 10 of Schiano we lost to Tulane. YEAR 10!
Year 11 UCONN kicked our asses 40-22
How about year 9 when we Cinci beat us 47-15? Cuse hung 31 on us for 31-13 blow out loss
Year 8? 44-12 to another Cuse powerhouse i guess

Schiano should be applauded for what he did at Rutgers. He made Rutgers respectable, he improved facilities, and got people to buy in. However, he was losing to unranked teams, with his recruits, by margins worse than we are losing this year. Move on

And Kirk Ferentz lost to Central Michigan @ home in year 14 (team finished 4-8) and Northern Illinois at home in year 15 but we would be crazy not to want him as our coach. Only the best of the best never lose those games.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Schiano ever returned here he was absolutely kill it on the recruiting trail. Any game day mistakes would be masked by the talent we'd have in the program -- just like 90% of the other head coaches around the country that win. There are a handful that are great game day coaches who also recruit and everyone knows who they are.

I appreciate it's not fair to Ash because he may still end up to be a very good head coach but my biggest issue with him is that I don't think he commands a room. Schiano had that and it would be even more evident if he ever returned.

It isn't happening but we would be Iowa if Schiano ever came back -- tough as hell defense, run-run and then more running, but we would be in dog fights every week against the best in college football (and sometimes the worst).
I see this all the time. What are you basing this on? He was a middle of the pack recruiter in the big East. I think we finished better than 3rd in conference rankings once. Pitt used to come into nj and take whoever they wanted.

He was a middle of the pack for most of the time until the last year or so when he finally figured it out. He learned to hire very good recruiters and the kids who he was recruiting never knew about the horrible teams he coached for his first 5 years -- only the teams that went to bowl games every year.

One other thing -- can anyone dispute that the guy knew how to develop talent? Look at all of the players he put in the league.

Re: Schiano -

Honest question: 7-5 in a subpar conference with top 25% talent (within conference) equates to what exactly in the Big Ten with bottom 25% talent..?

Re: Schiano -

Honest question: 7-5 in a subpar conference with top 25% talent (within conference) equates to what exactly in the Big Ten with bottom 25% talent..?

Your question only works if you assume (1) GS won't be a better recruiter now than he was 6 years ago and (2) that the talent level won't naturally increase because we're now in a better conference. I think the realistic ceiling for RU is 6-8 wins consistently with a 10 win season every 7-8 years. If you think that we have a higher ceiling and can actually get a coach to get us there then GS isn't for you. Based on what I've seen since GS left I'd be ok being Iowa, Northwestern, etc.

bitnez: I hear what you are saying, but I'm not convinced he'd win 6 year in and year out. His best years came when he had better players than the opponent. And even then he'd be good for at least one WTF game per year.

Even if he closes the talent gap, I'm not sure he'd be able to field teams better than OSU/UM/PSU.

For that reason, I'm staying firm that we need a guy who can recruit and runs a novel scheme (O or D, preferably O).

And Kirk Ferentz lost to Central Michigan @ home in year 14 (team finished 4-8) and Northern Illinois at home in year 15 but we would be crazy not to want him as our coach. Only the best of the best never lose those games.
Are you really comparing Ferentz to Schiano? It's not even close. Ferentz has won a share of 3 BIG titles. He's earned an occasional bad game. Schiano had duck games every year and never once won a share of a title

bitnez: I hear what you are saying, but I'm not convinced he'd win 6 year in and year out. His best years came when he had better players than the opponent. And even then he'd be good for at least one WTF game per year.

Even if he closes the talent gap, I'm not sure he'd be able to field teams better than OSU/UM/PSU.

For that reason, I'm staying firm that we need a guy who can recruit and runs a novel scheme (O or D, preferably O).

It's ironic (to me) that I find myself arguing for GS when I was happy that he left for TB. I was done with him. Of course, I assumed we'd hire a really good coach and the program would go to the next level. Now, after having experienced that last 5-6 years and watching PSU re-build itself into a national power on NJ kids, I still believe that a big time coach could win here but I also believe that GS is probably the best coach we could get.

Reactions: soundcrib
I guarantee you Ash wont win one either.

Maybe if we are really hot one year and somehow, OSU, Penn State, Michigan and MSU all suck that year and somehow we also get a lucky draw with the West champion.

I would play the Powerball that year if that ever happens.

I guarantee you Ash wont win one either.
Where never going to win one in this division/league unless we spend BIG TIME on a slam dunk coach. So yup, we're never going to win one (in football).
It's all about enjoying the cash that's coming. And general upgrade to all other sports/investment.

Are you really comparing Ferentz to Schiano? It's not even close. Ferentz has won a share of 3 BIG titles. He's earned an occasional bad game. Schiano had duck games every year and never once won a share of a title

There's no doubt that Ferentz had the program at its peak in years 4-6. But, since 2004, he's had 2 awesome years and 6 years when they won no more than 7 games. If Schiano was given 15 years in the B1G with the support that Ferentz has at Iowa I think he could ball park many of Ferentz's results. Again, I don't think we can ever expect to win the B1G but winning 6-8 per season with a plus season every 7-8 years is about right for us.

There's no doubt that Ferentz had the program at its peak in years 4-6. But, since 2004, he's had 2 awesome years and 6 years when they won no more than 7 games. If Schiano was given 15 years in the B1G with the support that Ferentz has at Iowa I think he could ball park many of Ferentz's results. Again, I don't think we can ever expect to win the B1G but winning 6-8 per season with a plus season every 7-8 years is about right for us.
Agree that's probably our ceiling. Maybe we should give ash more than 14 games to find out his ceiling

Agree that's probably our ceiling. Maybe we should give ash more than 14 games to find out his ceiling

+1. He deserves time. I wasn't advocating to fire Ash and hire Schiano immediately, which appears to be the OP's desire.

Reactions: vkj91
Spoke with someone who used to be an assistant at Oregon, and assistant under Shiano.

He said Shiano had him work from 6am to 3am. He said for 20,000 a year, it was hell.

Anybody who is clamoring to replace Ash with Schiano doesn't know how to use Google.

Reactions: vkj91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT