ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Shawver get seeded at NCAAs....

Dean has a path and anyone can beat anyone in that weight but should have been seeded higher then 16, think 10-12 range. Turley should have been a 13/14. Poz, Yara, Moore, seeds are fair. Soldano didn’t deserve better seed but matchup sucks. Shawver seed better then thought. Has a path. Cetta is what it is. Means he was probably last guy in.

They can all win. Dean can do it if he believes he can and takes the attitude Shawver had when wrestling Teske. I think if Peterson was as aggressive as Shawver, he could do as well.

Turley was underestimated by some here. He did as well or better than all of them save Shawver.

Ungar is a guy I really wanted Rutgers to get a commitment from. Would be cool to see Peterson beat him.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I really like our seeds. Team is well positioned to finish in the top 10. Four All Americans are realistic and 5 are possible.

some of these brackets and seeds are completely insane.

So Mitch gets absolutely screwed.

I really like our seeds. Team is well positioned to finish in the top 10. Four All Americans are realistic and 5 are possible.
So if we wrestle to our seeds
125-16
133-4
141-15
149-32
174-16
184-21
197-14
Hwt-13

I like some of our draws, but to me this is a BS post, so you can come back after the tournament and say "hey RU shit the bed" We have one wrestler seeded under 13!

These seeds rewards weak conference and weaker schedule… I noticed.. like how is quinner #11 seed.. couple other questionable seeds… Iowa is proj to finish 9th based on seeds… that’s wild..
Have u looked at the backside matchups??? I’ll check them more later but I’m assuming one of ur realistic 4 AA is Yara but if he loses to Schultz… he could face Boone McDermott , then loser of Taylor(5) and Doucet(12) if he makes it pass that he will have a NASTY blood round with loser of Davison/Bastida… ofc upsets can happen but this path seems pretty tough…

Reactions: koleszar
Yara looks like he has a path. Better than most of our guys. Too many 14-18 seeds which don’t give you too many favors

Yara looks like he has a path. Better than most of our guys. Too many 14-18 seeds which don’t give you too many favors
U like Yara’s path? Schultz size might prove to be a problem.. he has winnable matches up until blood round which most likely will be Davison.. if not Bastida..

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Guys

I just got on, It wasn't me. My kid who didn't go to RU was here tonight. He took my computer to play a joke on me. Will look at the brackets tomorrow and give my actual predictions. By the way, he won't be invited for dinner for a few months.

These seeds rewards weak conference and weaker schedule… I noticed.. like how is quinner #11 seed.. couple other questionable seeds… Iowa is proj to finish 9th based on seeds… that’s wild..
Unfortunately true

I think Peterson has a pretty good draw. Let's face it, if you cannot beat Unger then you are not going to AA. Then the 1 seed, who you lost to in OT(and if there was replay, might have won the bout).
Don’t underestimate Ungar.. he was ranked as high as 6th and Peterson 4th according to flo… but let’s say Peterson beats him.. if Peterson can get pass Davis .. there is path to finals with McKee/figs quarters.. and most likely Ramos semis…

If Peterson loses to Davis.. 1st match loser of Caleb smith/Deaugstino(tough!) then Peterson would get either McKee/figs.. sets up a blood round with either Ayala/Spratley

Don’t underestimate Ungar.. he was ranked as high as 6th and Peterson 4th according to flo… but let’s say Peterson beats him.. if Peterson can get pass Davis .. there is path to finals with McKee/figs quarters.. and most likely Ramos semis…

If Peterson loses to Davis.. 1st match loser of Caleb smith/Deaugstino(tough!) then Peterson would get either McKee/figs.. sets up a blood round with either Ayala/Spratley
Yea, I know that Ungar is tuff. But my point is if Dean cannot/does not beat Ungar than he wont/probably wont AA. You need to beat good than really good kids to AA. Out of the other top 8 seeds that Dean would have, do not mind him hitting a true Frosh in Davis(that in my opinion is a good matchup for Dean).

U like Yara’s path? Schultz size might prove to be a problem.. he has winnable matches up until blood round which most likely will be Davison.. if not Bastida..
He won't get past Schultze but has seen Davison couple times this year so not impossible. He also might get Boone which would be interesting. Brackets are wild across the board but here's to hoping for some Blood Round magic

Reactions: runrutgersrun

Have u looked at the backside matchups??? I’ll check them more later but I’m assuming one of ur realistic 4 AA is Yara but if he loses to Schultz… he could face Boone McDermott , then loser of Taylor(5) and Doucet(12) if he makes it pass that he will have a NASTY blood round with loser of Davison/Bastida… ofc upsets can happen but this path seems pretty tough…
If he gets Boone, all he needs to do is sweep the leg when Boone leans on it.

Cobra Kai Sweep GIF by IFC

If he gets Boone, all he needs to do is sweep the leg when Boone leans on it.

Cobra Kai Sweep GIF by IFC
Boone improved a lot and I have Yara making it pass him… Yara seems to struggle against hwt with size and Taylor is huge.. Doucet has been having a nice year for Okie state so this would be a coin flip at best…. It stinks Davison got 10 seed bc he won last 3 meeting vs Yara and might be a size problem… and Bastida might be too atheletic.. it’s not an ideal blood round draw idk what some of u guys are thinking…

So yeah pretty tough backside draw if Yara loses to Schultz IMO… I really think Yara’s best chance to AA is to upset Schultz ..

Oops seems I overlooked the 7 seed from Cambell.. if he beats Davison(I have Davison winning) then I like Yara’s blood round chances more against Cambell

The best news about the start of the NCAA tournament is that everyone has a shot. The fun part is making predictions is no one knows what will happen, most of us forget what we predicted, and the wrestlers don't care what we think

125: As we all know, this is the most wide-open weight class. Each of Dean's matches will be competitive. As he has come on strong toward the end of the season, he should be confident. If he is aggressive, shoots, and uses his strength he can All American. To make the semi-finals he must be consistent in three consecutive bouts. I am not sure that will happen. Wrestlebacks will be important for Dean. I see him as finishing 7th or 8th.

133: What a great season Shawver had. He has a pretty clear path to the quarter-finals where he is likely to face Ragusin. Based on last week, he will get past Ragusin and face Fix in the semi-finals. He will most likely lose and drop to the wrestlesbacks and face Bailey. I see Dylan earning 5th place.

141 Moore has a tough road to the podium and I don't see him making it. However, his headlock should earn us a few points on the backside.

149. We are all happy for Cetta and excited for his future. Any win he achieves, adds team points.

174 Turley will need to exhibit his AA year magic. I don't see it happening. Although, he should make the blood round.

184 Soldano has a tough path to earn AA. He will likely be challenged on both the front and back sides. I believe his best chance is to let it fly by going back to the old Soldano style. It doesn't seem as if there has been enough success in changing to a more traditional style.

197 Poz received a good seed and will likely need to beat Buchanan or Little to move through the wrestlebacks. While I haven't watched them wrestle, both guys may be too big for Poz to handle.

Heavyweight - Yara is a hard worker who is challenged against bigger wrestlers. Hopefully Schultz hasn't completely transitioned from Greco to folkstyle. Otherwise, he will be challenged in the wrestle-backs. I don't think Yara will AA. I have high hopes for him next year as see AA in his final year.

Reactions: KidDagger
HOw many AA's do you see?
I am thinking between 1 to 3
Peterson/Shawver/Poz are mypicks to AA.
RU going to need strong wrestlebacks.
133 is sick with Vito being a 6th seed.

Yea, I know that Ungar is tuff. But my point is if Dean cannot/does not beat Ungar than he wont/probably wont AA. You need to beat good than really good kids to AA. Out of the other top 8 seeds that Dean would have, do not mind him hitting a true Frosh in Davis(that in my opinion is a good matchup for Dean).
Dean should have beat him the first time and the loss serves as extra motivation. Definitely not the worst landing spot. Everyone from 1-8 is interchangeable

We are projected to only get one AA.. I think anything 2+ would be great
I have to go Homer with the Peterson prediction to AA
Poz has been my favorite wrestler after his freshman year so make that another Homer picks

I agree with you, the betting line would probably be 1.5 AA's

Reactions: KidDagger
I have to go Homer with the Peterson prediction to AA
Poz has been my favorite wrestler after his freshman year so make that another Homer picks

I agree with you, the betting line would probably be 1.5 AA's
Betting line is 1.0. Everyone takes the under at 1.5 if betting with their head. 0 or 2+ is the better question.

I think Shawver gets there. Something seemed to click during that big 10 run. You can tell he wants it more than any of the other guys in the room.

Peterson can hang with the elites of his class better than anyone else (aside from Shawver) on our team. He’s the next likeliest. After that Poz, Turley, Moore, and Yara in whatever order you want. Soldano is a pipe dream and Cetta is a nice story but he’s probably 0-2 after the pigtail

Reactions: njsportsphan
Betting line is 1.0. Everyone takes the under at 1.5 if betting with their head. 0 or 2+ is the better question.

I think Shawver gets there. Something seemed to click during that big 10 run. You can tell he wants it more than any of the other guys in the room.

Peterson can hang with the elites of his class better than anyone else (aside from Shawver) on our team. He’s the next likeliest. After that Poz, Turley, Moore, and Yara in whatever order you want. Soldano is a pipe dream and Cetta is a nice story but he’s probably 0-2 after the pigtail
I can’t disagree with any of this. I do think we can earn some bonus points in the back end to help elevate the team score. We may not have a ton of AA potential with the seeds as they are, but 141, 174 and 184 are fully capable of packing guys in the wrestle backs so if Dean can catch fire and Shawvwr keeps the pace we may finish in a respectable spot team wise.

The best news about the start of the NCAA tournament is that everyone has a shot. The fun part is making predictions is no one knows what will happen, most of us forget what we predicted, and the wrestlers don't care what we think

125: As we all know, this is the most wide-open weight class. Each of Dean's matches will be competitive. As he has come on strong toward the end of the season, he should be confident. If he is aggressive, shoots, and uses his strength he can All American. To make the semi-finals he must be consistent in three consecutive bouts. I am not sure that will happen. Wrestlebacks will be important for Dean. I see him as finishing 7th or 8th.

133: What a great season Shawver had. He has a pretty clear path to the quarter-finals where he is likely to face Ragusin. Based on last week, he will get past Ragusin and face Fix in the semi-finals. He will most likely lose and drop to the wrestlesbacks and face Bailey. I see Dylan earning 5th place.

141 Moore has a tough road to the podium and I don't see him making it. However, his headlock should earn us a few points on the backside.

149. We are all happy for Cetta and excited for his future. Any win he achieves, adds team points.

174 Turley will need to exhibit his AA year magic. I don't see it happening. Although, he should make the blood round.

184 Soldano has a tough path to earn AA. He will likely be challenged on both the front and back sides. I believe his best chance is to let it fly by going back to the old Soldano style. It doesn't seem as if there has been enough success in changing to a more traditional style.

197 Poz received a good seed and will likely need to beat Buchanan or Little to move through the wrestlebacks. While I haven't watched them wrestle, both guys may be too big for Poz to handle.

Heavyweight - Yara is a hard worker who is challenged against bigger wrestlers. Hopefully Schultz hasn't completely transitioned from Greco to folkstyle. Otherwise, he will be challenged in the wrestle-backs. I don't think Yara will AA. I have high hopes for him next year as see AA in his final year.
I'm keeping with my pre-season prediction: "One AA, maybe two". That was when we were hearing up to six. I wouldn't have predicted Shawver as the one, but do think he has the best chance now. Peterson can AA if he wants it bad enough and can borrow Shawver's attitude and drive. However, I think he will fall short due to inconsistency and/or waiting too long in the match to score. SV will be no friend.

From the start of the season, some of us have said Moore will get but so far with his headlock—but not far enough.

Turley can surprise at any point but can also lay an egg. I'd be more pleased than surprised if he actually put it all together for another run.

Soldano is another who was at his best during Freshman year.

Poz has been my favorite, but I don't think he has the head for it. I haven't seen him wrestle like he did in his Freshman year. He had moves I haven't seen at all from him this year, and he seemed to wrestle with more confidence back then. I'm rooting for him.

Yara-Slav can't handle the better wrestlers and hasn't been offensive enough. A match with Boone will indeed be interesting, and if Boone wins, it will be a big embarrassment.

Beware the final 10 to 5 seconds and stay out of SV.

I'm keeping with my pre-season prediction: "One AA, maybe two". That was when we were hearing up to six.
At the beginning of the season, the vast majority never said six would AA, rather 6 have the potential to AA. The common consensus was 2 to 3 AA's would be considered a success, with the over under being set at 2. We've now moved that over under bar to 1

I see our shot at AA

Shawver-should get it
Peterson-our best shot after that
Yara- he'll make the blood round but past that he'll need to wrestle better.

The rest will have to seriously up their game to get to or past the blood round, with Cetta and Soldano having no shot in hell at making it that far.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the season, the vast majority never said six would AA, rather 6 have the potential to AA. The common consensus was 2 to 3 AA's would be considered a success, with the over under being set at 2. We've now moved that over under bar to 1

I see our shot at AA

Shawver-should get it

The rest will have to seriously up their game to get to or past the blood round, with Cetta and Soldano having no shot in hell at making it that far.
I’ll take over 1… 1.5 seems more of a fair line.. we have 8 qualifiers so technically we have 8 “potential” AA. What ranking/seed is considered a “potential” to AA? I guess anyone in the top 16..

I have a feeling Peterson will upset Davis….

I see our shot at AA

Shawver-should get it

You are correct. I said "up to", but could have worded it better. Regardless, it was wildly overoptimistic. Happens every year.

Shawver is the obvious choice, given his recent performances and continuous improvement observed throughout the season. His seed suggests a solid shot at AA. He's the only one with "seed expectation". Early rankings would have supported more with AA potential, but they've all faded during the season, another annual phenomenon.

I maintain that Peterson has a chance, but only if he pursues it with Shawver-like enthusiasm, confidence, and consistency. That's a big IF. If I remember correctly, he almost beat Davis during the dual. Wasn't that another last < 5-second defeat? Two seconds was the difference between Dean placing First or Second versus 5th.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
You are correct. I said "up to", but could have worded it better. Regardless, it was wildly overoptimistic. Happens every year.

Shawver is the obvious choice, given his recent performances and continuous improvement observed throughout the season. His seed suggests a solid shot at AA. He's the only one with "seed expectation". Early rankings would have supported more with AA potential, but they've all faded during the season, another annual phenomenon.

I maintain that Peterson has a chance, but only if he pursues it with Shawver-like enthusiasm, confidence, and consistency. That's a big IF. If I remember correctly, he almost beat Davis during the dual. Wasn't that another last < 5-second defeat? Two seconds was the difference between Dean placing First or Second versus 5th.
Think saying everyone faded is unfair:
Shawver - got better as season went on
Peterson - while maybe faded a little clearly had some injuries and was a different wrestler in B10’s.
Moore - think finished about where he belongs 15ish and maybe Blood round
Cetta - didnt have best B10s but no one expected him to be NCAA qualifier or where he is
157 - injuries killed us. I am sure Clark would have at least qualified
165 - let’s skip that one. Lol
Turley - think he’s right where we thought and should probably have seeded a little higher. Needs to be atomic Turley to place
Soldano - my biggest disappointment in season and probably most. But was really never good from beginning so didn’t really fade
Poz - could say faded some but obviously had injury. Bit undersized for 197 when he faces bigger ones. Had up and down Tourney but still very dangerous
Yara - maybe faded a little but right around blood round guy. Seems to stuggle with bigger 285’s but should be in mix.

Think saying everyone faded is unfair:
Shawver - got better as season went on
Peterson - while maybe faded a little clearly had some injuries and was a different wrestler in B10’s.
Moore - think finished about where he belongs 15ish and maybe Blood round
Cetta - didnt have best B10s but no one expected him to be NCAA qualifier or where he is
157 - injuries killed us. I am sure Clark would have at least qualified
165 - let’s skip that one. Lol
Turley - think he’s right where we thought and should probably have seeded a little higher. Needs to be atomic Turley to place
Soldano - my biggest disappointment in season and probably most. But was really never good from beginning so didn’t really fade
Poz - could say faded some but obviously had injury. Bit undersized for 197 when he faces bigger ones. Had up and down Tourney but still very dangerous
Yara - maybe faded a little but right around blood round guy. Seems to stuggle with bigger 285’s but should be in mix.
You are correct; it wasn't all of them, just 8 of ten. I indicated that Shawver had continuous improvement but neglected to say that Turley showed improvement - and better results at B1G than all but Shawver and equal to Yara-Slav. Who would have thought? Well, me. Follow my Turley comments from the end of last season.

I try not to make assertions without the benefit of fact and data. This year, I have kept a record of ranking movement.

Weight Name National Ranking Class Feb. 13 2/20 3/16
125 Dean Peterson No. 6 Sophomore 19 20 16
133 Dylan Shawver No. 16 Sophomore 9 8 6
141 Mitch Moore No. 7 Senior 21 21 16
149 Jacob Butler No. 25 Junior INJ
Cetta NR 25 25 28
157 Andrew Clark No. 21 Junior INJ
DeSantis NR NR
165 Anthony White No. 24 Sophomore NR - NR NR
174 Jackson Turley No. 28 Senior 14 14 11
184 Brian Soldano No. 10 Sophomore 19 21 18
197 John Poznanski No. 12 Sophomore 22 22 20