ADVERTISEMENT

Who among us unfollowed Geo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geo is an incredible young man - wise beyond his years, a great person, amazing athlete, an inspiration and role model for young people, and someone who will live on in the annals of Rutgers athletic history. I follow him, support him, and will continue to do so. I doubt anyone would actually admit to unfollowing. USC revoked season tickets for someone posting racist comments and maybe other schools will start to follow their example. I doubt anyone wants to take that risk of exposing who they really are, but on the CE board there are plenty of candidates, sadly

When I think of Geo. Two things come to mind. His dunk on Indiana (which was pure athleticism ) and when he grabbed Jacob Y and told him to keep his head in the game ... the first was great to see for its basketball play ,,, the second for his leadership and his team first attitude

Last edited:
Appreciate his right to say what he wants and I don't unfollow an athlete if they were to say something with which I disagreed. Not that I follow many athletes.

This is very disappointing and I hope that Geo realizes that the bulk of us support him in every way - on and off the court. I don't do twitter at all but I do enjoy finding articles these days noting when athletes - students or otherwise - are speaking out about the important issues that confront us. Some people think that athletes and entertainers should keep their mouths shut but I like it when they voice their opinions. It makes them and all of us more three-dimensional. We are more than just what we "do" for a living or for a pass-time.

Those who have left his Twitter over those comments are idiots... All should be free to voice their opinions without being shouted down because it is contrary to what they think... that too has become a learned thing starting with the young school age children...

Reactions: thegock
Maybe this will help us look at what hasn’t been working for decades. Maybe debate will eventually replace protest. Maybe this will get both entrenched extremes to realize they are both wrong in many ways.

Now is not the time to shut down voices. Hear what he (and others on both sides ... except the real nuts) have to say IMHO.

I'd love to see Geo play Devil's Advocate on all this inequality stuff and seek to explain it from the other perspective as if he were in actual debate and were assigned the other side of these arguments.

Don't know how many followers he had or lost or when.. maybe there was a recent purge of twitter accounts and many of his were nixed... maybe it is one of twitter's weird actions taken via some macro based on an algorithm.

People are wary of simple solutions offered and maybe they should also be wary of simple descriptions of problems. Perhaps equality of outcome is not the same thing as equality of opportunity. Asians do better than whites in all the measures Geo mentioned in his tweet... why? Answer that and maybe you'll find other answers as well.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Geo play Devil's Advocate on all this inequality stuff and seek to explain it from the other perspective as if he were in actual debate and were assigned the other side of these arguments.

Don't know how many followers he had or lost or when.. maybe there was a recent purge of twitter accounts and many of his were nixed... maybe it is one of twitter's weird actions taken via some macro based on an algorithm.

People are wary of simple solutions offered and maybe they should also be wary of simple descriptions of problems. Perhaps equality of outcome is not the same thing as equality of opportunity. Asians do better than whites in all the measures Geo mentioned in his tweet... why? Answer that and maybe you'll find other answers as well.
Just two weeks ago, everyone hated Asian people.

I don’t follow and end up blocking anyone or any institutions who come on to my social media feeds. No real interest into what others are saying for the most part. I use “I don’t like this ad”, “It’s spam” and “block _____” a lot.

For Rutgers this includes all players (past and present- except Eric LeGrand) all coaches (except Greg Schiano), recruits, professors, etc.

I’ll read the message or tweet if it’s liked by one of the groups I’m following (like Rutgers Athletics for instance) but I don’t “like” them. I prefer to read more than participate.

Last edited:
I still follow him. I think hes misinformed and easy manipulated by the mainstream but I respect his 1st amendment right to express his opinion/feelings.

my two pieces of advice for him would be

1) do a little more research on the topics he’s talking about

2) propose realistic changes and reforms. Being loud doesnt accomplish anything imo

Reactions: The RUT
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT