ADVERTISEMENT

Who among us unfollowed Geo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see Geo play Devil's Advocate on all this inequality stuff and seek to explain it from the other perspective as if he were in actual debate and were assigned the other side of these arguments.

Don't know how many followers he had or lost or when.. maybe there was a recent purge of twitter accounts and many of his were nixed... maybe it is one of twitter's weird actions taken via some macro based on an algorithm.

People are wary of simple solutions offered and maybe they should also be wary of simple descriptions of problems. Perhaps equality of outcome is not the same thing as equality of opportunity. Asians do better than whites in all the measures Geo mentioned in his tweet... why? Answer that and maybe you'll find other answers as well.
Since you’re in the mood for recommendations, maybe you should try that too.

Might make sense for many to do that as a matter of fact.

I'd love to see Geo play Devil's Advocate on all this inequality stuff and seek to explain it from the other perspective as if he were in actual debate and were assigned the other side of these arguments.

Don't know how many followers he had or lost or when.. maybe there was a recent purge of twitter accounts and many of his were nixed... maybe it is one of twitter's weird actions taken via some macro based on an algorithm.

People are wary of simple solutions offered and maybe they should also be wary of simple descriptions of problems. Perhaps equality of outcome is not the same thing as equality of opportunity. Asians do better than whites in all the measures Geo mentioned in his tweet... why? Answer that and maybe you'll find other answers as well.
“all this inequality stuff”

That right there says all anyone needs to know.

Last edited:
This is very disappointing and I hope that Geo realizes that the bulk of us support him in every way - on and off the court. I don't do twitter at all but I do enjoy finding articles these days noting when athletes - students or otherwise - are speaking out about the important issues that confront us. Some people think that athletes and entertainers should keep their mouths shut but I like it when they voice their opinions. It makes them and all of us more three-dimensional. We are more than just what we "do" for a living or for a pass-time.
Those same people telling athletes and entertainers to shut up are more than happy to share their own “expertise” on the issues du jour.

I still follow him. I think hes misinformed and easy manipulated by the mainstream but I respect his 1st amendment right to express his opinion/feelings.

my two pieces of advice for him would be

1) do a little more research on the topics he’s talking about

2) propose realistic changes and reforms. Being loud doesnt accomplish anything imo

oh the precious irony...

How did he lose you on twitter?
He is tweeting out alot of factually incorrect things and stoking the flames of division and what not. Hes basically just uttering far left talking points.

I dont think he realizes it though because hes your typical misinformed college kid who just reads tweets and social media and doesnt do much research. We were all him one day, I know I was at least.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
He is tweeting out alot of factually incorrect things and stoking the flames of division and what not. Hes basically just uttering far left talking points.

I dont think he realizes it though because hes your typical misinformed college kid who just reads tweets and social media and doesnt do much research. We were all him one day, I know I was at least.
Yikes. Since when is racial equality a far left talking point?

Whereas as your opinions are obviously highly informed and devoid of any bias. Got it.

Yikes. Since when is racial equality a far left talking point?
Lets do this. Share with me the stats on systematic racial inequality in 2020, not 1920. Theyre hard to find because the bad news is that theres good news, in 2020, racial inequalities really dont exist. This is a good thing.

Full disclosure, i personally spoke to Geo about this last week when he unsolicited reached out to me personally. We disagreed on some points and agreed on others. I wont share what we discussed out of respect of privacy.

No offense, but if you need to be shown, there is a potentially unaddressable disconnect that exists.
Im just asking for stats and data. Can you show me? How come people cower when asked for stats and data? Im asking genuinely, lets talk about it.

heres one article but theres a lot more stats elsewhere. All Im asking for is evidence of systematic racism. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

the biggest systematic issue facing the black community right now is the % of children being born out of wedlock, period. Full stop.

Regardless of your color, if youre born out of wedlock and you grow up in a house without a father, the deck is stacked against you. It just happens to be happening more and more predominantly in the black community. How do we stop that? I really dont know. Its a mixture of ending the welfare state, legalizing all drugs/prostitution/gambling and making it easier to get firearms, in other words defund gangs who commit violent acts and ruin communities and take men away from families. Yes, I know what I said sounds crazy on the surface but research it. We should legalize all those things and take the billions in tax revenue from it and directly pour it back into these same communities with education and training programs to make these now former criminals with no source of income from illegal activities productive members of society. The issue is, its playing the long game, and politicians are only worried about 2-4 years from now when their term is up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just asking for stats and data. Can you show me? How come people cower when asked for stats and data? Im asking genuinely, lets talk about it.
Cowering is probably not an appropriate word. I’m really struggling to understand that your questions are actually serious ones. There is more than enough data out there that simple internet searches will reveal. I’m not in the business of educating other adults on things they should otherwise already be aware of. And if they’re not, there’s always Google.

Cowering is probably not an appropriate word. I’m really struggling to understand that your questions are actually serious ones. There is more than enough data out there that simple internet searches will reveal. I’m not in the business of educating other adults on things they should otherwise already be aware of. And if they’re not, there’s always Google.
So you can share any stats? The stat I commonly get thrown at me is how blacks get longer sentences for similar crimes. When you dive deeper you find its a socioeconomic thing. Poor people regardless of color get longer sentences than wealthy people because they cant afford top tier legal representation that the wealthier can. And dont even get me started on lawyers, no one hates the bullshit legal system more than me who just had to spend $8k on a frivolous civil case.

i’ll finish up here by saying do yourself a favor and question everything and dive a little deeper into the minutia, what you find will be uncomfortable and challenge your world view but you’ll be better educated. I dont say this being a dick, I say this genuinely.

So you can share any stats? The stat I commonly get thrown at me is how blacks get longer sentences for similar crimes. When you dive deeper you find its a socioeconomic thing. Poor people regardless of color get longer sentences than wealthy people because they cant afford top tier legal representation that the wealthier can. And dont even get me started on lawyers, no one hates the bullshit legal system more than me who just had to spend $8k on a frivolous civil case.

i’ll finish up here by saying do yourself a favor and question everything and dive a little deeper into the minutia, what you find will be uncomfortable and challenge your world view but you’ll be better educated. I dont say this being a dick, I say this genuinely.

if you want to learn a bit about the racial inequality stuff, it really is quite a fascinating topic in ways in which we might not expect. suggest reading this paper about socioeconomic mobility differences between different races at various incomes

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_paper.pdf

if you want to learn a bit about the racial inequality stuff, it really is quite a fascinating topic in ways in which we might not expect. suggest reading this paper about socioeconomic mobility differences between different races at various incomes

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_paper.pdf
Thanks for sharing, long. So will have to wait until tonight to read it. Regarding mobility, this is why rent control is a fvcking disaster and harms the people they think it will help. It locks people into areas and a horrible allocation of housing resources.

will read tonight, thanks again for sharing.

heres one article but theres a lot more stats elsewhere. All Im asking for is evidence of systematic racism. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

the biggest systematic issue facing the black community right now is the % of children being born out of wedlock, period. Full stop.

Regardless of your color, if youre born out of wedlock and you grow up in a house without a father, the deck is stacked against you. It just happens to be happening more and more predominantly in the black community. How do we stop that? I really dont know. Its a mixture of ending the welfare state, legalizing all drugs/prostitution/gambling and making it easier to get firearms, in other words defund gangs who commit violent acts and ruin communities and take men away from families. Yes, I know what I said sounds crazy on the surface but research it. We should legalize all those things and take the billions in tax revenue from it and directly pour it back into these same communities with education and training programs to make these now former criminals with no source of income from illegal activities productive members of society. The issue is, its playing the long game, and politicians are only worried about 2-4 years from now when their term is up.
I love you man, but sometimes you miss the mark. We all have unconscious bias, but few admit it. I feel the Civil Rights laws did more to harm blacks than help. On the surface, the laws did give blacks (and others) protection to live the American dream but caused "openly racists people" to move underground. You have politicians who were against the Civil Rights laws but lack the power to fight it, so they created new laws (clever ones) that countered the CR Laws. Can someone explain to me how crack gets you more jail time than cocaine? Crack is made from cocaine. Is it because crack is viewed as a black drug and cocaine is seen as a white drug? Systematic racism does exist but it difficult to point out because it is well hidden. It's like me asking you to show me atoms. We both know they exist but it's nearly impossible to see with our two eyes.

Facts from a federal government site:

• In 1950, 72 percent of all black men and 81 percent of black women had been married.

• Every census from 1890 to 1950 showed that black labor force participation rates were higher than those of whites.

• Prior to the 1960’s the unemployment rate for black 16 and 17-year olds was under 10 percent.

• Before 1960, the number of teenage pregnancies had been decreasing; both poverty and dependency were declining, and black income was rising in both absolute and relative terms to white income.

• In 1965, 76.4 percent of black children were born to married women.

What caused the change? Changes to the laws that some felt gave blacks and other groups unfair advantages. This is when the unconscious bias takes off.

After the passing of the Civil Rights Bill:

• Between 1960 and 1964, blacks were rising into professional and other high-level positions at a rate greater than the five years following the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

• Since the 1960s the black labor force participation rates have been lower than whites and unemployment rates for black 16 and 17 year olds has never dropped below 20 percent.

• In 1980, 31 percent of all black first-born children were born to teenage mothers.

• By 1992, 54 percent-of all black children were living only with their mothers.

• From 1990 to 1994, 77 percent of first births to black women were premarital.

• In the 1980s and 90s, an absolute majority of those black families with no husband present lived in poverty.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I love you man, but sometimes you miss the mark. We all have unconscious bias, but few admit it. I feel the Civil Rights laws did more to harm blacks than help. On the surface, the laws did give blacks (and others) protection to live the American dream but caused "openly racists people" to move underground. You have politicians who were against the Civil Rights laws but lack the power to fight it, so they created new laws (clever ones) that countered the CR Laws. Can someone explain to me how crack gets you more jail time than cocaine? Crack is made from cocaine. Is it because crack is viewed as a black drug and cocaine is seen as a white drug? Systematic racism does exist but it difficult to point out because it is well hidden. It's like me asking you to show me atoms. We both know they exist but it's nearly impossible to see with our two eyes.

Facts from a federal government site:

• In 1950, 72 percent of all black men and 81 percent of black women had been married.

• Every census from 1890 to 1950 showed that black labor force participation rates were higher than those of whites.

• Prior to the 1960’s the unemployment rate for black 16 and 17-year olds was under 10 percent.

• Before 1960, the number of teenage pregnancies had been decreasing; both poverty and dependency were declining, and black income was rising in both absolute and relative terms to white income.

• In 1965, 76.4 percent of black children were born to married women.

What caused the change? Changes to the laws that some felt gave blacks and other groups unfair advantages. This is when the unconscious bias takes off.

After the passing of the Civil Rights Bill:

• Between 1960 and 1964, blacks were rising into professional and other high-level positions at a rate greater than the five years following the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

• Since the 1960s the black labor force participation rates have been lower than whites and unemployment rates for black 16 and 17 year olds has never dropped below 20 percent.

• In 1980, 31 percent of all black first-born children were born to teenage mothers.

• By 1992, 54 percent-of all black children were living only with their mothers.

• From 1990 to 1994, 77 percent of first births to black women were premarital.

• In the 1980s and 90s, an absolute majority of those black families with no husband present lived in poverty.
Totally agree, you nailed it. The democrats knowingly and egregiously created and incentivized a welfare state that has totally eroded the black family in the US. Perverse incentives dont work. Now, they argue it helped black people by providing them with financial support and we need to give the poor more, I argue just as you that a welfare state and state of dependency harms black people.

so why do 95% of black people vote democrat? To me, frankly its pathetic that the democrats have essentially ruined black lives all in the names of buying votes. There will be a great awakening one day when all of this is realized and the vote shifts, until then our worst cities and the most dangerous black communities will continue voting democrat, be run by democrats and the cycle will continue perpetually. When Trump said in a SOTU how many black people he took off food stamps and not one democrat clapped that shouldve spoke volumes to everyone.

Getting back to the original point though, for most it’s hard to argue that giving more money and social programs towards minority communities harms them and that we need to create a culture of INDEPENDENCY rather than the opposite. Unfortunately it’s conversations like that, that will get you labeled an evil money hungry capitalist racist.

Thanks for being a fan, but what "temper tantrum" was that exactly?
The one where you felt you needed to start a new thread asking for Richie contact info so you can cancel membership and then told everyone you were going to call your amex platinum card to cancel if Richie couldn’t cancel. Despite you knowing where to go if you needed to contact Richie directly and of the thousands of people who have cancelled memberships on this site over the last 2 decades no one has ever started a thread like that.
That’s the temper tantrum i was referring too.

The one where you felt you needed to start a new thread asking for Richie contact info so you can cancel membership and then told everyone you were going to call your amex platinum card to cancel if Richie couldn’t cancel. Despite you knowing where to go if you needed to contact Richie directly and of the thousands of people who have cancelled memberships on this site over the last 2 decades no one has ever started a thread like that.
That’s the temper tantrum i was referring too.

Your reading comprehension sucks. I said I was cancelling premium, which, as you can see, I did. It's the easiest way to get a hold of Richie, given he responded quickly.

Looks like you are having a meltdown that I did it. And the Amex comment was in response to someone else. Breathe bro, it will be ok.

I don't follow athletes much but Geo is the role model that all parents should want their children to be. Follow, before I would follow the current occupant of the White House.

GREAT tweet, Geo.
Why you don’t like the guy in the White House? Now keep it politically free... please abide by the rules

Reactions: Caliknight
I see. Why don't you caution @GoodOl'Rutgers and @kyk1827 above so you can earn your Board Police Gold Star?

No? One sided?
I feel you inadvertently made that comment but please try to control the political themes. I know all of Rutgers can agree to disagree once in awhile. Board Police? That is just anger being spewed on your part just like the “ guy in the White House” comment. Shame on you .

Reactions: Caliknight
Geo is a great person and player who is the poster guy of what we should all want for all kids at Rutgers and in our country. Instead of us beating each other up we ALL should work together to make that possible... Rutgers with it’s history and diversity has an opportunity to be a large part of healing the ills of our society. Shame on all of our community if we can’t see this or deny to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT