ADVERTISEMENT

Who's our Point Guard?

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
The nominees are pretty obvious: Geo Baker, Paul Mulcahy, Jalen Miller. Who's going to get the keys to drive the RU bus stacked deep with talent?
Baker? He has done it before but I'm pretty sure he came back to play and showcase the 2 position he will likely play professionally somewhere. On top of that he is better as a 2G. I think we'll see Geo bring the ball up court a lot and play man-to-man defense matching up against opponents PG's that are offensive threats. Geo was only 3rd on the team in assists last year but he is a very capable passer, ball handler, defender, short clock shot taker/maker. But, he probably doesn't want that role and Pike will probably listen a bit to a 5th year man and legendary player who as much as anyone helped transform RU into a tourney team. I wonder if having a healthy hand will mean that he plays more PG.

Mulcahy? He's got great court vision (though only one more assist than Baker last year), but is lacking in almost every other department. His handle is about average for a B1G starting point, but he dribbles a little too upright and lacks foot speed. Yet, he doesn't turn the ball over a lot and I think that is a big issue for Pikes. (I didn't think Young was a turnover machine, but I thought hiz turnovers came at bad times and were often unforced.) If he shot more he'd have a better feel, but he doesn't shoot a lot and usually requires a wide open look to put the ball up. I think he'll be okay -just okay- when he get ball with 3 seconds to shoot. I've seen him drive and wonder why he doesn't do that 5 times a game, but .. he doesn't and he's probably not going to. I'd love to see him more hungry, mean, pissed off. Not sure that's a part of his make up.

Miller? A bit of a wild card like most freshman. He's 6'3". That's not an issue for me but Pikes seems to prefer length. Geo is 6'4" and Paul is 6'6". He's a three star recruit with no major offers outside of RU. While he played high level DC/Maryland ball, the step up to B1G is a major transition that is not guaranteed.

Guess it will be Mulcahy with Geo taking the reins here and there like he did sometimes but not enough with Young last year. Miller will be learning the trade. If January comes and Miller gets the nod over Mulcahy it will mean he can play.

I'd say Mulcahy gets the nod, at least out of the gate.

Entering his 3rd year, I think his ast/tov will improve a bit. The biggest question mark for me is whether he's going to start hunting his own shot rather than trying to set up teammates. How much of that is confidence vs. deference to upper classmen vs. the game still in progress of slowing down for him?

If he started looking for his shot, I believe the defenses would have to play him more honestly, and it would open up the court more for other players for assists. If he dove to the hoop more often for layups, he'd draw more attention and be able to dump underneath for our bigs, or kick out to shooters. He was a triple-double machine in HS, so I don't think it's an unwillingness to shoot - but we'll see how he develops this year.

How is this even a discussion?

When Paul Mulcahy committed all I read on here was how he was going to set records, there weren't 50 guys in his class who were going to have a better college careers than him.

Now, at least one person thinks "his handle is about average for a B1G starting point" and he "lacks foot speed."

This is surprising to me.

Totally agree with Russ. It’s now or never, and if you want to keep selling NJ talent, Paul needs his chance to drive the car.

Geo can operate with the ball in limited stretches with Paul on the bench. But Geo should thrive as a secondary ball handler. Hopefully the offense this year is better suited to our players in the half court. That means getting into action quicker to let plays develop and allowing our team, with good passers at multiple spots, making good reads. Would love some more simple high screen and rolls allowing Paul to read and react and find shooters and cutters, as well as sets with Ron and Geo screening for each other off ball. Paul can find them off slip screens and whatever else

Miller is going to be a good high major player and would contribute more on teams where he wasn't behind players as good as Geo and Paul.

I think Geo and Paul will spend a lot of time on the floor together and I expect both to be better players. Would love to see Paul become more effective at scoring at the basket as @Good-Knight suggests. He can get to the basket five times a game in a late shot clock. Geo's best years were 40.9 FG% (Sr) and .361 3FG% (Fr). Would be a great sign if he could equal or improve both. I think he will.

Last edited:
The guards are easier to figure out than the forwards, Cliff the only sure thing.

Point Guards will be Mulcahy and Miller at the start of the season.
2 Guards should be Geo and Caleb. Both of them CAN NOT be on the floor together. Geo a career 38% shooter, 32.5% from 3, Caleb 38% and 28%. They both take their share of bad shots as a 1 or 2.
RHJ and Jaden at the 3.
Any of the other 4 listed have the ability to bring it up the floor, but most of the available minutes at the 1 should fall to Paul and Jalen.

Reactions: RC71
The guards are easier to figure out than the forwards, Cliff the only sure thing.

Point Guards will be Mulcahy and Miller at the start of the season.
2 Guards should be Geo and Caleb. Both of them CAN NOT be on the floor together. Geo a career 38% shooter, 32.5% from 3, Caleb 38% and 28%. They both take their share of bad shots as a 1 or 2.
RHJ and Jaden at the 3.
Any of the other 4 listed have the ability to bring it up the floor, but most of the available minutes at the 1 should fall to Paul and Jalen.

I'd think Mulcahy/Baker/Miller will split time at the 1, then Baker/Jones/McConnell will split time at the 2. At the 3, I think we'll see Harper/McConnell/Jones.

My guess at order of minutes for the trios:
Mulcahy/Baker/Harper
Baker/Jones/Harper
Mulcahy/Baker/Jones
Baker/Jones/McConnell
Baker/McConnell/Harper

Geo Baker is going to bring the ball up the court a majority of the time that he's in the game. Once we get into our halfcourt offense it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be slashing to the rim like Young last year anyway

Who was our PG last year? At this point in July did we think it was Geo or JY? Who played more at PG early in the year? Who played it when Geo was hurt? Who played it down the stretch? The answers to those questions are what I expect to see this season. We have a few guys who can handle the ball and they all will at times. Probably will be Geo at the end of most games. Don’t be surprised to see the Offense run through RHJ either. He will get the ball up top a lot and create for himself and others. I don’t think we have one true PG at this time and we didn’t last year either.

Reactions: Eagleton96

When Paul Mulcahy committed all I read on here was how he was going to set records, there weren't 50 guys in his class who were going to have a better college careers than him.

Now, at least one person thinks "his handle is about average for a B1G starting point" and he "lacks foot speed."

It’s the message board circle of life. We get bored of the known and hype the unknown. There are people here pencilling in jaden Jones to start over macconnell and Hyatt lol.

Reactions: littlenis5
Geo Baker is going to bring the ball up the court a majority of the time that he's in the game. Once we get into our halfcourt offense it doesn't really matter because no one is going to be slashing to the rim like Young last year anyway
I have a feeling in his NBA workouts, NBA scouts told Geo that his NBA/pro position is at 2, like RHJ at the 3. Both players will focus on their pro career positions, NBA/G League/Overseas in 2021-22.

Mulcahy 2 years 141 assists, 73 TOs, 1.9 A/T
Baker 4 years 388 assists, 243 TOs, 1.6 A/T
JY Texas 50/50 Rutgers 150/146
Caleb 110/98

I have a feeling in his NBA workouts, NBA scouts told Geo that his NBA/pro position is at 2, like RHJ at the 3. Both players will focus on their pro career positions, NBA/G League/Overseas in 2021-22.

Mulcahy 2 years 141 assists, 73 TOs, 1.9 A/T
Baker 4 years 388 assists, 243 TOs, 1.6 A/T
JY Texas 50/50 Rutgers 150/146
Caleb 110/98
That's what Kadeem Jack's senior season was supposed to be. What is good for Rutgers basketball winning games could be in conflict with Baker and Harper's pro career.

Reactions: NickRU714

I don't recall that level of hyperbole on this board. But if you expect posters not to get excited about landing a high-profile in-state recruit that we were working hard to land from early on, you may be on the wrong board. That said, having Miller step up and push others for minutes as a freshman would be a good problem to have.

I don't recall that level of hyperbole on this board. But if you expect posters not to get excited about landing a high-profile in-state recruit that we were working hard to land from early on, you may be on the wrong board. That said, having Miller step up and push others for minutes as a freshman would be a good problem to have.
It was there. I took a screenshot of one post that had me smh. I'm saving it until after mulcahy's eligibility has been used up. I got crushed on this board about his ranking, for mentioning that he was slow and for saying that I wasn't sure who he was going to be able to defend in the B1G.

Lot of concern with a point guard who does not get into the lane a lot. Obviously brings other intangibles to the table. But JY was actually setting guys up and dumping ball off in the tournamnt on occasion, after beating his guy and getting in lane.

It was there. I took a screenshot of one post that had me smh. I'm saving it until after mulcahy's eligibility has been used up. I got crushed on this board about his ranking, for mentioning that he was slow and for saying that I wasn't sure who he was going to be able to defend in the B1G.
Yep. You were right then and you still are. He is a solid player, not
a star. And he has to play (just like Cliff) as an example to
other Jersey recruits that if you stay, you'll play

Reactions: Russ Wood
expand...
When it comes to PG Paul Mulcahy, you get attacked for saying he is slow, lacks lateral quickness and can't stop dribble penetration. A few of those also apply to Geo Baker.

He is a good player, but, you are correct, some people here said he was an NBA player.

When it comes to PG Paul Mulcahy, you get attacked for saying he is slow, lacks lateral quickness and can't stop dribble penetration. A few of those also apply to Geo Baker.

He is a good player, but, you are correct, some people here said he was an NBA player.
Geo is better at all of those things than Paul. It’s not even close.

Paul is a better distributor. All depends whether we can get by without as much of this skill. It’s not that Geo isn’t a decent ball handler so if we can get decent ball rotation without Paul in the game his minutes will decline. If not, he’ll play a ton and there is probably a ceiling to how good we can be. There’s only so much he can improve on defense and so far he hasn’t shown an ability to hit shots while contested (must be wide open). It’s hard to have someone in the game almost the whole time with those deficiencies and win consistently.

Last edited:
Geo is better at all of those things than Paul. It’s not even close.

Paul is a better distributor. All depends whether we can get by without as much of this skill. It’s not that Geo isn’t a decent ball handler so if we can get decent ball rotation without Paul in the game his minutes will decline. If not, he’ll play a ton and there is probably a ceiling to how good we can be. There’s only so much he can improve on defense and so far he hasn’t shown an ability to hit shots while contested (must be wide open). It’s hard to have someone in the game almost the whole time with those deficiencies and win consistently.
Geo does not have great lateral quickness and sometimes struggle to stop dribble penetration.

I believe that Mulcahy will show dramatic improvement. I always felt that he was holding back in deference to the upper classmen. This will sound way over the top but I think when Mulcahy leaves we will say that he was one of the best on the banks.

I believe that Mulcahy will show dramatic improvement. I always felt that he was holding back in deference to the upper classmen. This will sound way over the top but I think when Mulcahy leaves we will say that he was one of the best on the banks.
One of the best ever ?

Reactions: PaKnight
I’ll be thrilled to be proven wrong but I just don’t see this from him. I see a great team player who has limitations due to athleticism. Would love for it not to be lack of athletic ability and him simply not having wanted to take over for the veteran players. I don’t believe it’s that.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Please no Mulcahy at Point. I want a point guard who is quick and can play D. Who the heck is he going to guard when him and Baker are in the backcourt together? Baker isn't exactly fast and Mulcahy moves like a power forward.

He was holding back? SMH

I don’t really remember any of that, but I don’t see the point in holding onto it. Bottom line is he will be a key contributor again this year. No one can deny that he was an important recruit for RU at that point in Pike’s tenure.

Yep. You were right then and you still are. He is a solid player, not
a star. And he has to play (just like Cliff) as an example to
other Jersey recruits that if you stay, you'll play
Mulcahy is a GREAT ambassador for RU. He has lots of New Jersey pride. I really like that about him.

• Love
Reactions: RutgersMO
Oh I agree. Not saying he’s great. These aren’t strengths for him, but for Paul they are some of his biggest weaknesses.
One of the strangest things I read here recently is that speed at the guard spot is not that important or that any guard getting beat in dribble penetration does not matter so much because it's all about team defense.

Last edited:
One of the strangest things I read here recently is that speed at the guard spot is not that important or that any guard getting beat in dribble penetration does not matter so much because it's all about team defense.
Two different threads I think. Team defense requires all 5 on the court to be pretty good at defense which is why I think there’s a good chance Paul will see less time. His skill is team offense. If we’re lost without him playing the half court sets, he’ll play. Our defense will likely be better when he’s not playing.

Two different threads I think. Team defense requires all 5 on the court to be pretty good at defense which is why I think there’s a good chance Paul will see less time. His skill is team offense. If we’re lost without him playing the half court sets, he’ll play. Our defense will likely be better when he’s not playing.

Team defense also takes into account help defense, and knowing where help is coming from. The ability to stay in front of your man is one skill.... knowing it's better to get beat off your left shoulder because you will have a backup defender who is closing that lane is another (as is knowing where to be to close off that lane based on which side the defender is going to force the drive). Being good at help defense takes a lot of reps, film study, and communication - and it can sometimes improve more year-over-year than the more athletic elements of 1x1 defense like footspeed.

Eugene Omoruyi was great at help defense. His 1x1 defense was one skillset, but he had a knack of knowing where to be as a help defender just from a positioning perspective to really increase the difficulty level of penetrating guards (and to draw more than his share of charges)... even when he was operating on 1.5 legs.

Lot's of people had high hopes for PM. And he is a good player. But we have seen who he is on the floor enough to not have to speculate much anymore.

I'm surprised to hear Pike say that PM is the PG. As of now, he just doesn't have the quickness, handle, or aggressiveness needed of a PG. T

hat could change in some ways. He can't get quicker. But aggression would help there. In particular, when he is trying to run the point and distribute, teams have figured out that he can't handle pressure. It just shuts him down. The way to deal with pressure is attack and penetrate. A pressuring player is overcommitting. PM, for whatever reason, didn't attack the pressure and take advantage. To me that is the one thing he can really change.

His most effective role on O last year was taking set shots after Geo or another more athletic player penetrated. He has already improved his game by not passing up those shots. If he looks for it even more, that's a good thing. But that is not a point guard role. Those plays only open up for him when someone else is handling the ball.

Other things, like general quickness and athleticism...there are going to be limits here.

Baker is by far our best PG now (Miller excepted as an unknown). A reliable ball handler that can attack pressure and make things happen.

I would bet against PM being the primary PG this season.

Team defense also takes into account help defense, and knowing where help is coming from. The ability to stay in front of your man is one skill.... knowing it's better to get beat off your left shoulder because you will have a backup defender who is closing that lane is another (as is knowing where to be to close off that lane based on which side the defender is going to force the drive). Being good at help defense takes a lot of reps, film study, and communication - and it can sometimes improve more year-over-year than the more athletic elements of 1x1 defense like footspeed.

Eugene Omoruyi was great at help defense. His 1x1 defense was one skillset, but he had a knack of knowing where to be as a help defender just from a positioning perspective to really increase the difficulty level of penetrating guards (and to draw more than his share of charges)... even when he was operating on 1.5 legs.ut
All true - but it’s likely still the case that team defense will be best with both Caleb and Hyatt on the floor and Paul not in the game. Will there be a trade off on offense? TBD. I think it’s unlikely though that Paul will be a part of the strongest defensive line ups that we put forth unless he’s improved a ton.

All true - but it’s likely still the case that team defense will be best with both Caleb and Hyatt on the floor and Paul not in the game. Will there be a trade off on offense? TBD. I think it’s unlikely though that Paul will be a part of the strongest defensive line ups that we put forth unless he’s improved a ton.

Of our Top 10 most-used lineups last year (in the data we have), the best defensive lineup (in terms of points allowed over time) was:

Mulcahy/Baker/McConnell/Harper/Johnson, allowing just 1.28 pts/min (and scoring 1.75) over 92.37 minutes. It was our second most-used lineup overall. Next closest in the Top 10 was Baker/Young/McConnell/Harper/Johnson allowing 1.61 pts/min over 47.68 minutes (and scoring 1.72) - this was our 5th most-used lineup.

Lineups last year with Mulcahy averaged 1.60 pts allowed/min, vs our overall average of 1.65. Lineups with McConnell allowed 1.42 pts/min. Lineups with both Mulcahy/McConnell averaged 1.40 pts allowed/min.

Whatever Mulcahy lacks in 1x1 defense with footspeed and lateral quickness, lineups with him don't appear to be giving up a lot of points/min. I'd imagine part of this is the CViv/Schiano defensive effect.... slower offense with fewer turnovers means fewer points allowed over time, and Mulcahy tends to turn the ball over less and shoot later in the clock as he tries to work the defense to set up a good shot.

Reactions: BillyC80
Of our Top 10 most-used lineups last year (in the data we have), the best defensive lineup (in terms of points allowed over time) was:

Mulcahy/Baker/McConnell/Harper/Johnson, allowing just 1.28 pts/min (and scoring 1.75) over 92.37 minutes. It was our second most-used lineup overall. Next closest in the Top 10 was Baker/Young/McConnell/Harper/Johnson allowing 1.61 pts/min over 47.68 minutes (and scoring 1.72) - this was our 5th most-used lineup.

Lineups last year with Mulcahy averaged 1.60 pts allowed/min, vs our overall average of 1.65. Lineups with McConnell allowed 1.42 pts/min. Lineups with both Mulcahy/McConnell averaged 1.40 pts allowed/min.

Whatever Mulcahy lacks in 1x1 defense with footspeed and lateral quickness, lineups with him don't appear to be giving up a lot of points/min. I'd imagine part of this is the CViv/Schiano defensive effect.... slower offense with fewer turnovers means fewer points allowed over time, and Mulcahy tends to turn the ball over less and shoot later in the clock as he tries to work the defense to set up a good shot.
Edit to add:

Lineups with Mulcahy and WITHOUT McConnell gave up 1.76 pts/min, and with McConnell and WITHOUT Mulcahy gave up 1.47 pts/min. So, while we gave up fewer pts/min with both together than either of them alone, Mulcahy definitely benefited more from McConnell being on the court than vice versa.

Maybe I’m wrong, but you’d probably have to look at number of defensive possessions and not just minutes played. I’d expect you’d find that line ups with JY played at a significantly faster pace which would allow more opportunities for the opponent to score during the time period.

Reactions: toby83 and BillyC80
Edit to add:

Lineups with Mulcahy and WITHOUT McConnell gave up 1.76 pts/min, and with McConnell and WITHOUT Mulcahy gave up 1.47 pts/min. So, while we gave up fewer pts/min with both together than either of them alone, Mulcahy definitely benefited more from McConnell being on the court than vice versa.
To my other point, line ups with both of them in them probably also played at the slowest pace.

I believe in Paul. I tend to be pretty optimistic, but I do believe that we have a great development staff and Paul has a more elite trait than anyone else on the team’s best trait and that’s his passing. He’s a very good passer. He has made strides shooting, and it seems Pike has all the confidence in the world in him, which will hopefully compel him to be more aggressive. Of course his defense isn’t great, and I do worry what the team will look like without much athleticism. I’m gonna be optimistic Paul can be that PG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT