ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn’t Miller foul ?

Should have fouled as soon as he crossed half court. Then fouled again when they put hall back in play. Both to take seconds off clock. Miller also should have been in his shorts to prevent an open 3. Make him drive for 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: G- RUnit
This made no sense . I was telling everyone around me he should foul and they agreed . There was no reason there to let them cut it to 1.
I was mad that he didn’t foul, but happy to educate others.
Pike doesn’t foul up 3. Many coaches handle it that way. Edit: my bad. Misunderstood the situation.

Last edited:
We slowed them all game by picking up in the backcourt.
When did Miller start covering him?
If we had been called for a foul in the backcourt how would that have been different than fouling after he crossed halfcourt?

Reactions: Shell21
Pike doesn’t foul up 3. Many coaches handle it that way.
This is a debatable decision when in the double bonus. To be clear - we weren’t even in single bonus. They would not go to the foul line. There was no risk in fouling on the inbounds pass going for the steal. Zero reason not to press. We had 2 non shooting fouls to give.

Last edited:
If we had been called for a foul in the backcourt how would that have been different than fouling after he crossed halfcourt?
Exactly what I said in the other thread. We pressed a lot of the game and didn’t pick up the ball full court where it would have made the most sense here. If jalen plays head on the ball aggressive d full court we make them eat up time, foul and make them inbound again or maybe get a steal because he’s being aggressive. Made no sense

Technically there’s risk after crossing half of them going into a shooting motion and then getting 3 free throws. Miss the last one and they could get the rebound and put back.

There was no risk whatsoever with pressing and fouling hard on the inbounds going for the steal.

Pike doesn’t foul up 3. Many coaches handle it that way.
That is not the point . Unlike the idiots on the other thread talking about being outcoached , which for 30 -32 minutes is absolute bullshit as we were up 13-15 and should have increased it to 20, the last few minutes had some concerning things. Paul started over dribbling which sucked because he had 8pts , 4 rebounds and 6 assists until his last 6-7 minutes . Cliff missed foul shots and another dunk , we missed some other foul shots , Ron and Geo and Ron missed one in first half. We had 15 assists in first 32 minutes and were moving it and stopped and that was concerning.
Now the point about not fouling has to go back to the last few minutes. We only had 4 team fouls. With a minute to go we didn’t foul Sessoms when he shot and then the play by play says Lundy hit the 3 to cut it from 59-55 to 59-58 with 11 seconds. I thought it was Sessoms that Miller lost and should have fouled not just once but twice. Why play by play says Lundy, I don’t know. ? Bad job there.
Last inbound in a tough spot but bad design and I would have run a stack with different curls. So a couple of things to discuss but for most of the game just stupid talking about coaching.

Should have fouled as soon as he crossed half court. Then fouled again when they put hall back in play. Both to take seconds off clock. Miller also should have been in his shorts to prevent an open 3. Make him drive for 2.
Every game is a learning opportunity. Maybe Jalen lost the message .

Told everyone around me the same thing about using fouls as well.

At least things worked out....

In the NBA, between 1955 and 1981, a foul in the back court resulted in 2 free throws (or 2 out of 3 depending on the rules for the given year). I’m not sure if the NCAA had similar rules back then. In any case, there is no difference any more between a foul in the back court vs the front court. A back court foul is now treated the same as any other common foul.

Last edited:
Thanks jacka$$. I didn’t realize there was only 4 fouls. Everyones got to be a prick. I didn’t make any snide comments.
We were also up 4 . Not 3. Didn’t mean to be a prick, sorry about that . I just wanted to have discussion about strategy. Glad we won!

Pike is a good defensive minded coach and a solid motivator. He is not a good tactical coach.
Not fouling was mind boggling. Having Paul M inbound the ball from the corner with our entire team on the other side of the court was criminal.

Pike is a good defensive minded coach and a solid motivator. He is not a good tactical coach.
Not fouling was mind boggling. Having Paul M inbound the ball from the corner with our entire team on the other side of the court was criminal.
The ONLY thing I can think of was he worried someone would foul during a shot. Got nothing else.

I assumed they would foul but as I said they probably did not hear or misunderstood. Jalen is frosh.

You sound like a moron.

1. pikiell didn’t pick where paul would take it out.

2. It doesn’t matter where the players are when the play starts. It matters where they finish. Ron was open paul didn’t pass it to him on top of that Ron half asses it. Caleb was open running to the ball paul missed him too and geo was flashing to the ball but penn state switched and cut him off. All three guys ended up winning 10 feet of paul. Watch the replay.

seriously you sound like and idiot.

pikiell believes in playing defense and not fouling. How many times have we gone over this. It doesn’t make him a bad coach. We have yet to be burned by this in his 6 years as head coach.

Didn’t they recently come out of a time out?

Shoudve been fouling.

Overall thought miller had a tough time out there today.
Yeah, remember thinking that it was a good move to take out Paul (not as quick) for Miller, but he kinda disappointed. Probably should have been much tighter & force a layup. At least if Paul was in, it would be a taller player on D.

That is not the point . Unlike the idiots on the other thread talking about being outcoached , which for 30 -32 minutes is absolute bullshit as we were up 13-15 and should have increased it to 20, the last few minutes had some concerning things. Paul started over dribbling which sucked because he had 8pts , 4 rebounds and 6 assists until his last 6-7 minutes . Cliff missed foul shots and another dunk , we missed some other foul shots , Ron and Geo and Ron missed one in first half. We had 15 assists in first 32 minutes and were moving it and stopped and that was concerning.
Now the point about not fouling has to go back to the last few minutes. We only had 4 team fouls. With a minute to go we didn’t foul Sessoms when he shot and then the play by play says Lundy hit the 3 to cut it from 59-55 to 59-58 with 11 seconds. I thought it was Sessoms that Miller lost and should have fouled not just once but twice. Why play by play says Lundy, I don’t know. ? Bad job there.
Last inbound in a tough spot but bad design and I would have run a stack with different curls. So a couple of things to discuss but for most of the game just stupid talking about coaching.
Just watched replay. It was Sessoms not Lundy as Play by Play said , which is what I thought . Geo was shooting foul shots and Miller was next to Sessoms, then after the make by Geo , Sessoms got the inbound quickly and flew up court. Miller lost him for a second. He should have cut him off and fouled by the time he was at half court.

If we’re not going to foul the mistake was not taking away the 3. I was screaming at Miller to get up on him. He dropped back too deep, he should have stopped the shooter from advancing So close to the 3 line. If you watch the replay you will see Miller’s defense is well inside the 3 line.

I'm starting to worry that Miller's defense is more "showy" (he definitely plays hard) than effective. Montez Mathis had this issue.

Reactions: RUsojo
I'm starting to worry that Miller's defense is more "showy" (he definitely plays hard) than effective. Montez Mathis had this issue.
Now they’re are 2 on this side of the fence.

Still time for him to improve over the next few years.

Reactions: kcg88
You sound like a moron.

1. pikiell didn’t pick where paul would take it out.

2. It doesn’t matter where the players are when the play starts. It matters where they finish. Ron was open paul didn’t pass it to him on top of that Ron half asses it. Caleb was open running to the ball paul missed him too and geo was flashing to the ball but penn state switched and cut him off. All three guys ended up winning 10 feet of paul. Watch the replay.

seriously you sound like and idiot.

pikiell believes in playing defense and not fouling. How many times have we gone over this. It doesn’t make him a bad coach. We have yet to be burned by this in his 6 years as head coach.
Obviously pike doesn’t pick where the ball gets inbounded. So you liked the play design? 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT