ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rutgers’ Steve Pikiell be connected to Michigan job? 1 college hoops writer thinks it’s possibl

If you were a fan of... let's say Kansas State and somebody asked you list 100 candidates, Pikiell wouldn't make the cut. He just wouldn't be on the radar.

Yes...but this is Michigan. They know Pikiell. They see how bad we have been. They know we have turned the corner.

I'd probably need 20 to 1 odds, so it is a remote chance.

Juwan Howard is an interesting choice. Been an assistant to Spoelstra, who is much underrated, and survived LeBron's attempts to get him fired. Member of the Fab Five. But no HC experience. Bobby Hurley is going to be mentioned for every name job that comes up.
TL
I saw the list and could see Bobby Hurley, Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens. If I had to bet--Hurley or Stevens.

Following Beilein seems less attractive to me than being the first guy to take Rutgers to the tourney in 30 years and then leveraging that into either a better job or getting RU to pay on par with whatever the B1G top echelon is. Following the winningest coach in the history of a program rarely works out for anyone.

Let's not forget, we're about to have the newest practice facility in the conference. Pikiell is about essentially be the face of the entire athletic department if he has even a moderately successful year. This is not as unattractive a job as our own fans seem to think.

From the main board:

Odds for Michigan's next coach per BetOnline.ag (via Matt Glenesk)

Juwan Howard (Heat assistant, alum): 3-1
Billy Donovan (Thunder): 7-2
Bobby Hurley (Arizona State): 5-1
Mike White (Florida): 5-1
Kevin Keatts (NC State): 7-1
Shaka Smart (Texas): 7-1
LaVall Jordan (Butler): 10-1
Luke Yaklich (assistant): 10-1
Saddi Washington (assistant): 10-1
Brad Stevens (Celtics): 12-1

From the main board:

Odds for Michigan's next coach per BetOnline.ag (via Matt Glenesk)

Juwan Howard (Heat assistant, alum): 3-1
Billy Donovan (Thunder): 7-2
Bobby Hurley (Arizona State): 5-1
Mike White (Florida): 5-1
Kevin Keatts (NC State): 7-1
Shaka Smart (Texas): 7-1
LaVall Jordan (Butler): 10-1
Luke Yaklich (assistant): 10-1
Saddi Washington (assistant): 10-1
Brad Stevens (Celtics): 12-1

For you mathematicians out there, do these odds even make sense? Shouldn't the total odds should add up to a 100%?

Didn't Greg initially agree to go to Michigan and then backed off. I seem to remember something about his wife not wanting to move.

This is how I heard it also. He came back home having accepted the Michigan job and changed his mind. Either the wife was the reason or just having second thoughts

That part did not make the papers

This is how I heard it also. He came back home having accepted the Michigan job and changed his mind. Either the wife was the reason or just having second thoughts

That part did not make the papers
Some papers speculated Stadium expansion might have been a reason that he looked into the Michigan position after the Rutgers BOG
tabled a vote on it.

I think I read ( years ago) that Greg made a last minute call to Mulcahy and after talking to him decided to return.
That's from memory so I can't claim it's 100% accurate.

An additional million a year for himself, extra money for his assistants, top-shelf facilities, easier recruiting, money to take the team to Italy (a la Harbaugh), and an administration and faculty that support athletics. Other than this I can't think of a reason Pike would take the Michigan job.

Reactions: RW90 and kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT