ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rutgers’ Steve Pikiell be connected to Michigan job? 1 college hoops writer thinks it’s possibl

It’s funny I think both of them are about 50-60 years old based on the comments .. it’s a cute little fight between an RU fan and a shu fan

Looks like Ed Cooley used the Michigan interest to get an extension to stay at Providence. He is staying put.

I am sure a sentimental favorite but putting together a strong group of assistants will be very important to make this work. Better hope a lot of HS kids remember the FAB 5. Timing was not great to be looking for an HC and finding top notch assistants won't be easy either.

Classic college HC maneuver by Cooley and his agent.

Reactions: dkostus
A surprisingly low key list of candidates.

I agree. I think Cooley would have been a great choice for them but I’m not sure he was really interested. I have my doubts about Howard only because of his lack of head coaching experience.

Lots of shakeups on B1G teams and we are pretty set. Things are shaping up where we could possibly make a push for top third of the conference.

Reactions: dkostus
Not worried about Pike ... B1G job that can set him up to go anywhere he wants if RU excels ... if RU won a few league titles and he left, I’d still be thrilled!

Reactions: knight82
Juwan Howard may end up being an excellent coach..........

Michigan just went from one of the top college coaches to someone who has absolutely no experience.

I don't expect for us to pass Michigan next year, but the ground work has been laid for us to potentially do it soon after.

I could be overestimating his importance, but i don't think i am.

Michigan just went from one of the top college coaches to someone who has absolutely no experience.

I don't expect for us to pass Michigan next year, but the ground work has been laid for us to potentially do it soon after.

I dont think you are, at all. They are also likely losing Luke Yaklich, their defensive guru, and obviously lost 3 starters to the draft in Iggy, Poole and Matthew's, as well as a decommit from their top-50 recruit.

So next year is Simpson, Teske, and a bunch of guys that didnt play much (although they have good ratings) in a brand new system. Not crazy to think we pass them

I dont think you are, at all. They are also likely losing Luke Yaklich, their defensive guru, and obviously lost 3 starters to the draft in Iggy, Poole and Matthew's, as well as a decommit from their top-50 recruit.

So next year is Simpson, Teske, and a bunch of guys that didnt play much (although they have good ratings) in a brand new system. Not crazy to think we pass them

Michigan is going to throw a lot of money at Yaklich. I wouldn't have him in Cleveland with Beilein or Texas with Shaka just yet.

I agree. I think Cooley would have been a great choice for them but I’m not sure he was really interested. I have my doubts about Howard only because of his lack of head coaching experience.

Lots of shakeups on B1G teams and we are pretty set. Things are shaping up where we could possibly make a push for top third of the conference.
The Big East has their annual meetings every year in Ponte Vedra Florida. I actually saw Cooley in the pro shop yesterday before they were playing their annual golf tournament. He walked in and another guy I did not know greeted him and congratulated him. His only comment was that Michigan would be a crazy hard place to work!

I was gonna try and talk to him but he was busy looking for size 14 golf shoes. He must have had other things on his mind when packing.

Michigan is going to throw a lot of money at Yaklich. I wouldn't have him in Cleveland with Beilein or Texas with Shaka just yet.
Michigan may not need to do that. Yaklich's son will be a senior ball player at Saline High School. If Yaklich does leave Michigan his wife and son are likely to remain so that his son can finish his final year of high school.

Few coaches want to do something like that, but it does occasionally happen.

AD looked at Howard and made a call that he'll be Penny Hardaway # 2.

Let's see.

Reactions: PaKnight
No way Cooley was a legit candidate. Great job by his agent.

Michigan hired Howard. Surprised.
No head coaching experience.
No college experience.
Huge gamble.
Staff? Recruiting connections?
Didn’t work with us and Eddie or St. John’s with Mullen.
Maybe it will work with a Penny in Memphis?
Izzo breathing a sigh of relief as doesn’t have to go up against Beilen anymore.
Think will bring Michigan down a notch or two.

Michigan hired Howard. Surprised.
No head coaching experience.
No college experience.
Huge gamble.
Staff? Recruiting connections?
Didn’t work with us and Eddie or St. John’s with Mullen.
Maybe it will work with a Penny in Memphis?
Izzo breathing a sigh of relief as doesn’t have to go up against Beilen anymore.
Think will bring Michigan down a notch or two.
Before I knock Howard's hiring,I want to see if he retains Beilen's top assistants and is able to bring in someone with college HC experience to help him adjust to being a HC at a major program that takes on some heavyweight in conference opponents.

If he can recruit at a high level he'll be fine. Calipari and Coach K aren't Xs and Os geniuses and honestly they don't even have to grind the recruiting trail that hard. Can Howard leverage his relationships with Lebron and Wade and make Michigan a similar destination?

My guess is no, because Michigan is a football school first and foremost. I think he'll fall somewhere between Beilein and Amaker's success levels at Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT