ADVERTISEMENT

Wimsatt needs to transfer

The OP is out of line
Wimsatt should not transfer but rather earn the starting job next season.
If Schiano continues with his ignorance and stubbornness of refusing other QBs an opportunity to start then he should be finally held accountable.

No chance he leaves or is demoted. He fits the chosen sysren perfectly. 2:1:1 ratio KM:GW:SB runs and only a downfield passing game if down 3 scores. Round peg round hole. If you think Ciarrocca came here to diversify the offense I have an igloo in Cuba to sell you.

This place has become a complete cesspool. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. There's isn't a damn one of you that wouldn't have signed up for 6-6 and a bowl back in August. Of course Al maybe wouldn't have but he's not here criticizing our QB.

This board can be summed up on each subsection by 4-5 trolls that are permitted to dominate the discussion, saying crap that is obviously false and just meant to rile people, all of whom are pushing 50 and behave like 10 year olds.

It's increasingly harder to find nuggets of substance.

This board can be summed up on each subsection by 4-5 trolls that are permitted to dominate the discussion, saying crap that is obviously false and just meant to rile people, all of whom are pushing 50 and behave like 10 year olds.

It's increasingly harder to find nuggets of substance.
the irony here is dripping

Reactions: bac2therac
hahaha, been saying this all year and everyone yells at me

the receivers have bailed him out on numerous catches this year

Gav is the issue
Greg's insistence on playing him is the issue
Greg's inability to develop qbs is an issue
Greg's conservative approach is an issue

I'm friends with the family of 2 mega recruits and they literally laugh when we talk RU. Greg has zero panache of what he had in v 1.0. over the past few years now it's 3 recruits saying the same things to me.

None of this is untrue per se but it mostly explains why a stud passer type like TT won’t choose us. It’s inaccurate, and ludicrous, to blame Gavin’s inability to complete simple passes in the backfield to wide open receivers on Greg’s QB development issues. Even without any development Gavin should be better than he is.

Gavin is a materially worse passer than most RU QBs throughout Greg’s tenure. There’s no sugar coating it. I mean, worst completion rate in FBS… that’s pretty hard to do right? There are some really terrible teams like UMass, UConn, etc. in the mix, right? If we don’t bring in some competition next year then that should 100% be on Greg. Wimsatt has had plenty of time to prove himself.

The OP is out of line
Wimsatt should not transfer but rather earn the starting job next season.
If Schiano continues with his ignorance and stubbornness of refusing other QBs an opportunity to start then he should be finally held accountable.
In fairness, I think the OP is assuming Gavin won’t stick around if we recruit a grad transfer to be the forerunner to start.

None of this is untrue per se but it mostly explains why a stud passer type like TT won’t choose us. It’s inaccurate, and ludicrous, to blame Gavin’s inability to complete simple passes in the backfield to wide open receivers on Greg’s QB development issues. Even without any development Gavin should be better than he is.

Gavin is a materially worse passer than most RU QBs throughout Greg’s tenure. There’s no sugar coating it. I mean, worst completion rate in FBS… that’s pretty hard to do right? There are some really terrible teams like UMass, UConn, etc. in the mix, right? If we don’t bring in some competition next year then that should 100% be on Greg. Wimsatt has had plenty of time to prove himself.
Pretty much sums it up.
Any poster who attempts to defend our QB has no football acumen and is absent from reality.
Look at the 2023 FBS QB ratings and that says it all. Dead last.

Reactions: pmvon
I have posted this video before.. I think it is GW's footwork that is his biggest issue. You cannot teach arm strength much.. he has plenty of that.. but he won't become consistent until he relies on consistent footwork... and he may need quicker feet. He is speedy.. but more often than not it doesn't look like he has quick feet.

But he has so many problems.. imo.

- doesn't read presnap well
- doesn't read RPO post-snap (not correctly anyway.. Cedral had that problem too.. his decision to keep or not predetermined.. it seemed.. not based on any read).
- he doesn't read or use blocks well. Today on a 4th down he had to go outside and bailed and ran into a mess. Would he have been stopped outside? Maybe. But I'd trust Monagai to make the block and head outside.. trust the blockers to get the job done.
- he doesn't finish runs well... he doesn't keep his legs under him and chopping.. and worse yet, Brown seems to be infected by his style.
- he stares down his hot target
- he doesn't see open guys elsewhere
- he is late on throws and also inaccurate
- he doesn't look to evade to make a play.. he seems to evade to throw the ball away.. he doesn't hustle to get outside the rush.. where, with his top-end speed defenses would crap their pants seeing him break containment.. (now in these last two games I actually saw occasional progress in this area...he did show some urgency to get upfield quickly away from a pass rush... and it seemed real.. not a predetermined thing).

Been watching Cal in addition to Rutgers all season. The talent level on both teams is about the same. Cal has a RS Frosh QB. Rutgers a redshirt Soph with a full season of experience under his belt. Cal QB hands down more talented in term of football IQ and execution. And he had almost no P5 offers.

Zero chance there isn't a portal QB coming. OL protects pretty well so it's not as bad of a situation to walk into as it has been for years and years.

As for Gavin, man, there are 24 hours in a day. He sleeps eight. That leaves 16. If I'm him, I'm spending at least two of those hours, every single day, throwing short tosses, wrist throws...I mean, it's impossible to be that athletic and not be able to improve dramatically if that's the focus.

But as it its now, the game is too hard. You can't give up every other throw you make and play in this league.
That’s not accurate on throwing. I’ve seen many very, very athletic people who can’t throw a ball newly as well as Wimsatt, and he can’t even throw well.

This place has become a complete cesspool. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. There's isn't a damn one of you that wouldn't have signed up for 6-6 and a bowl back in August. Of course Al maybe wouldn't have but he's not here criticizing our QB.
Around the country teams over achieve all the time

They go out, win the expected games, then one or two upsets, could be minor upsets, to get to a final season record the optimistic fan hoped for

Last year we beat BC on the road
For the life of me I can’t remember another game we were underdogs and won
They are way too few, and far in between, and years keep passing

We did exactly what was expected this year, no more, no less

We won the games favored, lost the rest

Coaches have been fired for that, but I don’t want coach fired

GW is not the answer he is really inaccurate for a college QB. If u are not going to utilize his run ability 8-10 times a game there is no reason to play him. The 2nd part is that the WR pool needs a serious upgrade and a decent TE would help. RB and OL are fine

GW is not the answer he is really inaccurate for a college QB. If u are not going to utilize his run ability 8-10 times a game there is no reason to play him. The 2nd part is that the WR pool needs a serious upgrade and a decent TE would help. RB and OL are fine
He has the ability to run, but he’s not nearly a good enough runner to compensate for his poor pass game.

A running QB is a nice way of saying you don't have one.
What was equally frustrating as the inaccurate throws was that GW finally breaks off a nice run for big yardage and would have likely taken it to the house if he didn’t cut left into a tackler when he had a blocker on his right. Although it seems our guys are always making the wrong cut because they lack vision and patience.

Zero chance there isn't a portal QB coming. OL protects pretty well so it's not as bad of a situation to walk into as it has been for years and years.

As for Gavin, man, there are 24 hours in a day. He sleeps eight. That leaves 16. If I'm him, I'm spending at least two of those hours, every single day, throwing short tosses, wrist throws...I mean, it's impossible to be that athletic and not be able to improve dramatically if that's the focus.

But as it its now, the game is too hard. You can't give up every other throw you make and play in this league.
I will still be very surprised if there is a legitimate threat to GW's starting status coming via the portal. There are many needs and limited NIL dollars to fill them. GS can be very stubborn on certain matters and I can see him continuing to build around the QB position rather than addressing it.

I will still be very surprised if there is a legitimate threat to GW's starting status coming via the portal. There are many needs and limited NIL dollars to fill them. GS can be very stubborn on certain matters and I can see him continuing to build around the QB position rather than addressing it.

NIL is not a factor here. A portal player like Vedral would not command NIL dollars. There will be plenty of options available in the portal that played behind really good QBs who are looking to be the starter at a power conference school. These are not NIL players. We’re not getting a TT type, but if we retain most of our guys at other positions we don’t need that to improve considerably. We just need a guy who can complete the routine throws.

On the second point, if that’s true GS will deserve what he gets. He’ll either live or die on the Gavin Hill. If we go 4-8 next season with Gavin he’ll have a lot of questions to answer to IMO.

Reactions: RUTGERS95 and pmvon
Most people being unrealistic with this offense. This game always needed to be that the D had to hold UMD to 20 or less and hope the O can score more than 20. The O did their part (knowing all the flaws, etc with it). The D did not. The O wasn’t going to miraculously put up 45-50 when all season long they couldn’t put up points. D came out flat, left a lot for UMD to pick apart and they did.

EJ Warner at Temple can sling it and did so behind a bad OL. He's gonna get some NIL offers to leave. Could be an option.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
EJ Warner at Temple can sling it and did so behind a bad OL. He's gonna get some NIL offers to leave. Could be an option.
We won’t bring in a pure pocket passer unless we move back to a system with a full back. Not out of the question but I doubt it.

We could do worse, however, he is a pure pocket passer, he needs to be protected. He got killed at Temple this year, was out for a few games with a concussion.

Yes Defense-minded HCs build around the QB position by recruiting better punters. It’s almost always losing football and the reason Day (hired over Schiano) Harbaugh and Franklin don’t ever sweat Rutgers week.

He is just weak all around. We go nowhere with him.
Those board moderators who allow this idiot to post personal attacks about players needs to stop. Gavin Wimsatt came here as a 17 year old to play for Greg Schiano and Rutgers football. May I remind some we didn’t have QB’s batting down our doors at the time. He has become the whipping boy of several here and it should really not be allowed. Like everything else which is frowned upon this too is bad. Maybe he ‘s not the golden child we expected but saying” Wimsatt should transfer” is totally uncalled for.

Reactions: BronxBound23
Those board moderators who allow this idiot to post personal attacks about players needs to stop. Gavin Wimsatt came here as a 17 year old to play for Greg Schiano and Rutgers football. May I remind some we didn’t have QB’s batting down our doors at the time. He has become the whipping boy of several here and it should really not be allowed. Like everything else which is frowned upon this too is bad. Maybe he ‘s not the golden child we expected but saying” Wimsatt should transfer” is totally uncalled for.
He shouldn't have to transfer, but from early on it was apparent that he wasn't going to be the answer at QB and should have been moved to a position where he had a chance to fully display his excellent athletic skills. This is on the coaches, not Wimsatt, it is their job to put a kid in the best position to succeed and sometimes that means making tough and unpopular decisions. If he still wanted to play QB then he could transfer to a lower tier FCS or Div 2 level program, he likely would not be picked up out of the portal by any FBS or even top 20 FCS program as a QB.

Sure I would agree but people who post on this board and claim Rutgers allegiance need to temper their stupidity. We all want to win EVERY game but bashing this player is just wrong … NIL.. is not part of the equation here. Just the mods think it’s ok …

Around the country teams over achieve all the time

They go out, win the expected games, then one or two upsets, could be minor upsets, to get to a final season record the optimistic fan hoped for

Last year we beat BC on the road
For the life of me I can’t remember another game we were underdogs and won
They are way too few, and far in between, and years keep passing

We did exactly what was expected this year, no more, no less

We won the games favored, lost the rest

Coaches have been fired for that, but I don’t want coach fired

Preseason the win lines were .mostly 4.5.

Preseason the win lines were .mostly 4.5.
As the games approached, we won the games favored, lost the underdog games

In that sense we surprised no one, no game that totally unexpected

In contrast many big ten teams had head scratching wins or losses
NW did a few

Wrong. Gavin is a professional football player and needs to deal with negative comments. It's part of the job.

The days of "Young Rutgers men coming to play for us on the banks for ol Rutgers" are gone. The players wanted this.

As the games approached, we won the games favored, lost the underdog games

In that sense we surprised no one, no game that totally unexpected

In contrast many big ten teams had head scratching wins or losses
NW did a few

Which means preseason expectations were exceeded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT